Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 06:25 AM   #541
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
Quote:
"What is less well known is the fact that honey itself can ferment,

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Yeah, it's called Mead! Go, Vikings!! [/COLOR]
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #542
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cindy_cfids
Stats: ???/day45=265/188/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 4, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Yeah, it's called Mead! Go, Vikings!! [/COLOR]
Sorry I cut off the previous paragraph about the well known fact: mead, then she goes on to say a lil known fact... I have been checking to make sure I wouldn't be creating an alcoholic drink. Mead is honey, water and yeast. It's my understanding that ACV final product is depleted of yeasts (which is what makes KT so special that the bacteria & yeast work together) so there shouldn't be an alcoholic outcome (I hope) after reading about the bees & birds getting drunk.

I know you're just playing but I was afraid I'd be creating Mead also. I got enough problems without stumbling around here drunk lol

Dang I just figured out that post preview was ^ up there, maybe now I won't edit them to death lol. Nawwwwwwww
cindy_cfids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:07 AM   #543
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids
not likely that swig is going help much, but I guess he thinks so...

baby steps lol At least he's trying it! I bet he'll take 2 sips next time lol

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]I don't think he is afraid of it and I think he likes the taste its the fact that he thinks a sip/swig is going to help him in some way?! Aside from the health benefits, it's tasty - how can anyone drink less than a bottle at a time?!

DH thinks I have too many bottles - can anyone have too many bottle?!
[/COLOR]

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #544
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
not likely that swig is going help much, but I guess he thinks so...

baby steps lol At least he's trying it! I bet he'll take 2 sips next time lol

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]I don't think he is afraid of it and I think he likes the taste its the fact that he thinks a sip/swig is going to help him in some way?! Aside from the health benefits, it's tasty - how can anyone drink less than a bottle at a time?!
[/COLOR]
Maybe a swig does help, I know people with stomach problems that take a swig of pickle juice to help.

I know 20 years ago my stepmother showed me a Kombucha mushroom in a bowl and all this literature & told me she was drinking it. I thought she was nuts and wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. I'm sure if I hadn't been desperate I still wouldn't have. I don't know if she actually tasted it, I didn't ever see her drinking it & I'm sure she never bottled it. It didn't last long, I'm sure it got ignored & dried up or something.

Yes I go through a daily battle worrying about if overconsumption is a problem. Now that I have plenty bottled and don't have to budget it, it's so hard to control not having more. That's why I do low carb, I can't just have "some". All or nothing baby
Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #545
Senior LCF Member

So I got to ask, "Is it just me, or ..." My scobys all have turned into monster scobys, which is fine but they get full of air & try to escape. I worry that they will dry out and I poke them down (making them burp/fart) and drain some KT out and put it on the top. I didn't have such a problem with the 2.8 gal. jar but it's sides came in sharply and contained the monster somewhat. My 5 gal. container only has 4 gallons in it but scoby was pushing up on the fabric, so I bottled a couple of liters & pushed it down again. I worry about them though lol.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #546
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kamalam
WOE: Moving toward a plant based diet
Start Date: February 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy_cfids View Post
So I got to ask, "Is it just me, or ..." My scobys all have turned into monster scobys, which is fine but they get full of air & try to escape. I worry that they will dry out and I poke them down (making them burp/fart) and drain some KT out and put it on the top. I didn't have such a problem with the 2.8 gal. jar but it's sides came in sharply and contained the monster somewhat. My 5 gal. container only has 4 gallons in it but scoby was pushing up on the fabric, so I bottled a couple of liters & pushed it down again. I worry about them though lol.
You're not alone with the little monsters! Ours has definitely got to the point of needing a haircut. I think I'm holding back because I just think - man how can I cut my scoby? Doesn't it hurt? But since we're talking single celled organism, I hope not. But yeah... we need to take action soon.
Kamalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #547
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yes I go through a daily battle worrying about if overconsumption is a problem. Now that I have plenty bottled and don't have to budget it, it's so hard to control not having more. That's why I do low carb, I can't just have "some". All or nothing baby
[COLOR="Teal"]Me too![/COLOR]
Old 05-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #548
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamalam View Post
You're not alone with the little monsters! Ours has definitely got to the point of needing a haircut. I think I'm holding back because I just think - man how can I cut my scoby? Doesn't it hurt? But since we're talking single celled organism, I hope not. But yeah... we need to take action soon.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Not that I have gotten to this point yet, but do you cut it into pieces or do you peel a layer off.[/COLOR]
Old 05-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #549
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Not that I have gotten to this point yet, but do you cut it into pieces or do you peel a layer off.[/COLOR]
I remove my oldest scobys and just leave 2-3 to the jar. The brew is more efficient with at least 2 thicker adults but they will take over your container and not leave you any liquid if you don't thin them. As they age they turn brown and weak but mine are still making babies. Before I bought the 5 gal. brewers, I had gallon jars everywhere scobys in each one plus the 2.8 gal (plus a stainless steel pot I will deny) Luckily though I have so many containers going, twice I've had the cloth covering come off a container and I can't take the chance they may be contaminated so I scrap them (haven't actually done anything but taken them out of use - one's being used as a fruit fly trap, the other I think I'll stick in blender to liquify & soak my feet in.

Apparently you can cut them up into pieces and use each piece as a baby scoby. Watch the geeks on youtube lol. I had a thin pizza pie sized scoby I just shoved all in a gallon jar, it still created a new baby.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 PM   #550
Senior LCF Member

But i'm wondering if everyone else's scoby rises (& stays) 2-3 inches above the liquid?
Old 05-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #551
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I remove my oldest scobys and just leave 2-3 to the jar. The brew is more efficient with at least 2 thicker adults but they will take over your container and not leave you any liquid if you don't thin them. As they age they turn brown and weak but mine are still making babies. Before I bought the 5 gal. brewers, I had gallon jars everywhere scobys in each one plus the 2.8 gal (plus a stainless steel pot I will deny) Luckily though I have so many containers going, twice I've had the cloth covering come off a container and I can't take the chance they may be contaminated so I scrap them (haven't actually done anything but taken them out of use - one's being used as a fruit fly trap, the other I think I'll stick in blender to liquify & soak my feet in.

Apparently you can cut them up into pieces and use each piece as a baby scoby. Watch the geeks on youtube lol. I had a thin pizza pie sized scoby I just shoved all in a gallon jar, it still created a new baby.
[COLOR="YellowGreen"]Seems a bit more humane to peel away the layers than hack our "babies" to pieces. I saw the guys on youtube and their "wedgies".

How many layers to do you accumulate before you start peeling them apart - mind you, I don't even have one layer yet, but I'm planning ahead
[/COLOR]
Old 05-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #552
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
[COLOR="Teal"]Oh my dh is so clueless about health... I am not saying that I am a "fawn" but I do some research and I am making changes to better my health. So I am sitting her sipping my brew and dh comes in and he says, "you drinkin some of that stuff? Here let me take a sip, I need something for my digestion." Like a swig is going to cure all his ails. The Synergy bottle says that a serving is 8oz's. I would guess that a serving is what would give you the benefits listed on the label (digestion, metabolism, immune system, appetite control, weight control, etc., etc) not likely that swig is going help much, but I guess he thinks so... He also thinks that taking fish oil (not even sure how many capsules - most likely 1-2/day) is going to magically lower his cholesterol sheesh![/COLOR]
He's right. a swig really can help with digestion. especially if you are making it strong. I snagged a batch of expired GT's and brought them home and forgot about them for another couple of months. Then when I was having really bad indigestion, I found the old unopened bottles. I drank not even 4 ounces and found immediate relief from my indigestion. For the next month or so I found myself craving a couple of sips of Kombucha before and after meals. Especially after meals that gave me upset stomach. I'd drink it and get a feeling faster than even my digestive enzymes. Mine were very much like vinegar though, but still drinkable. That's one of the things that got me hooked on Kombucha. I found I was feeling better, and I started wanting it in the morning. It made me want breakfast when I had no appetite, and finished my appetite when I had craving beyond my meal.

It does lower stomach pH so it would help with digestion just like ACV would, but tastier!
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #553

Quote:
But i'm wondering if everyone else's scoby rises (& stays) 2-3 inches above the liquid?
, My jar curves in a littl at the top and if it gets stuck in the more narrow part then when evaporation occurs it get's "stuck" and looks like it's climbing out. I had half the volume of my brewer taken up by monster scobys before I took them out.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #554
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
He's right. a swig really can help with digestion. especially if you are making it strong. I snagged a batch of expired GT's and brought them home and forgot about them for another couple of months. Then when I was having really bad indigestion, I found the old unopened bottles. I drank not even 4 ounces and found immediate relief from my indigestion. For the next month or so I found myself craving a couple of sips of Kombucha before and after meals. Especially after meals that gave me upset stomach. I'd drink it and get a feeling faster than even my digestive enzymes. Mine were very much like vinegar though, but still drinkable. That's one of the things that got me hooked on Kombucha. I found I was feeling better, and I started wanting it in the morning. It made me want breakfast when I had no appetite, and finished my appetite when I had craving beyond my meal.

It does lower stomach pH so it would help with digestion just like ACV would, but tastier!
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Interesting - take back the eye rollling I did in response to DH. I have been humbled.

Hey Metqa - what do you take digestive enzymes for specifically? What type and how much? Just wondering...
[/COLOR]
Old 05-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #555
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Faia
WOE: LC/Avoid Frankenfoods
Start Date: March 2009
We bottled today. 4 pints, 2 with ginger and lemon; 2 with ginger, lemon, and blueberry.

Tasting the 2 bottles still left from the last bottling we got some fizz in both, although the ginger one had more fizz than the plain. Next time we may try a bit of extra sugar in a bottle or two of plain.
Faia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #556
Senior LCF Member

We bottled some with blueberries, but haven't enjoyed the soggy blueberry effect (then again, he put about 10 in each bottle, way too many). We also bottled with a little strawberry jam... also NOT pleasant getting a mouthful of jam, lol.

We thought we'd have to essentially chuck that batch, but my partner had a small moment of realization and strained the bottles... MUCH better.

I'm going to try and peel off some layers from the scoby today or tomorrow, then we're going continuous. Crossing my fingers that all goes well. Just the thought of handling my scoby skeers me. :

Last edited by Kamalam; 05-27-2009 at 06:50 PM..
Old 05-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #557

Gallery: frogfarm
Stats: 150/145/155
WOE: Custom
Start Date: June 2008
Quote:
We bottled some with blueberries, but haven't enjoyed the soggy blueberry effect (then again, he put about 10 in each bottle, way too many). We also bottled with a little strawberry jam... also NOT pleasant getting a mouthful of jam, lol.
Yeah, I strain it from the bottle before I drink it Hoping to have enough scoby to pull one out by the time the next batch rolls around!
frogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #558
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Have any of you bottlers noticed a new baby forming in your bottles after 2nd ferment? They are clear and so fragile- I almost didn't remove them when I drank them! Luckily the ginger was stuck in them, so I just ditched them and drank away. Just wish this batch would hurry up and get more tart so I can bottle and flavor. I am very impatient![/COLOR]
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:04 PM   #559

I haven't seen any signs of new scoby forming after bottling off, just strands of yeast like in the commercial stuff. So far I've only waited a week after bottling to sample, but I know some people leave it for months!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #560
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Have any of you bottlers noticed a new baby forming in your bottles after 2nd ferment? They are clear and so fragile-[/COLOR]
I had one in my mouth & then got curious and bit down on it. Tasted like a lemon gel lol. Now I'm wondering what mom tastes like lol. I read about ppl slivering thin & stir frying, probably good in a lil sweet n sour hmmmmmmmm. lol
Old 05-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #561
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Have any of you bottlers noticed a new baby forming in your bottles after 2nd ferment? [/COLOR]
Yeah, we get those frequently - reminds me of a miniature jelly fish. I haven't had the courage to taste them yet (unlike a certain daring somebody, ). For now, I kind of pick them off... it's the Virgo in me, lol.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:58 PM   #562
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]I get "jellyfish" in all my bottles Synergy and my own - I just gulp them down - isn't that what you are supposed to do? I have yet to actually bite down on them - I kind of slurp them down like oysters (I don't eat oysters, but that's how I hear you are supposed to "eat" them)

The jellyfish are what keep my dd from drinking kombucha - I call it backwash - that's enough to keep her a safe distance away from my drinks. DS on the other hand, it doesn't phase... [/COLOR]
Old 05-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #563
Senior LCF Member

I'm not feeling like it's a good idea to mix vinegar with kombucha now after doing it. I think I way overdid the ACV (both actually). I am bad about if a lil is good, a lot is great. Not feeling like this is good idea in these quantities at all. I haven't got my honey yet, so didn't add honey. I also added several Tablespoons instead of teaspoons and feeling overdone. I'm backing off the ACV for awhile I think. I never felt this way on the KT, but now thinking it's not good idea to mix the 2 and definitely not to overdo it.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:52 AM   #564
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I need to find out more about Kombucha. Very interesting!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:24 AM   #565

Quote:
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Interesting - take back the eye rollling I did in response to DH. I have been humbled.

Hey Metqa - what do you take digestive enzymes for specifically? What type and how much? Just wondering...
[/COLOR]
Ha, I had done a bit of eye rolling myself when my friend first introduced me to it. She said you can feel the difference after one sip. I was like , yeah Right! but I took a sip of hers and the world got brighter and I felt like smiling and felt like I had taken my liquid B12 sublingual, but without the flushing! I had to admit the stuff is awesome at one sip back then too! She even told me people are supposed to only start with 4 oz! That's just a shot for me!

I have Enzymedica enzymes, and I think they are the best company cause all they make are enzymes. the ones I've got are basic digestive enzymes: protease, amylase, lipase, cellulase and a few other. it's high potency and really neat if you feel the need to overindulge or are eating a new food and want to be sure it doesn't sit wrong, or if a food sits wrong, you can take it to help it finish digesting. I also have a bottle of high potency protease capsules for when I catch cold or flu. since viruses have protein cellwalls to protect them, adding protease between meals helps the white blood cells to digest them and attack the virus inside.

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Have any of you bottlers noticed a new baby forming in your bottles after 2nd ferment? They are clear and so fragile- I almost didn't remove them when I drank them! Luckily the ginger was stuck in them, so I just ditched them and drank away. Just wish this batch would hurry up and get more tart so I can bottle and flavor. I am very impatient![/COLOR]
I've gagged on those little slips of slime many times! I put blueberries in a 2nd brew and BF and l liked it but we didnt eat the blue berries.

I just gave another bottle of kombucha fermented grape juice to BF this morning. He's so excited.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:47 AM   #566

Okay, now that the first batch of bottles has been sitting in the fridge a bit longer, I just this morning noticed a new baby forming in one! But I've been straining them every time before drinking anyway, even if I didn't add anything else. But the commercial stuff I bought and tried didn't have a scoby after sitting around on the store shelf, just the yeast strands. Fascinating...more research is required.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #567
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm not feeling like it's a good idea to mix vinegar with kombucha now after doing it. I think I way overdid the ACV (both actually). I am bad about if a lil is good, a lot is great. Not feeling like this is good idea in these quantities at all. I haven't got my honey yet, so didn't add honey. I also added several Tablespoons instead of teaspoons and feeling overdone. I'm backing off the ACV for awhile I think. I never felt this way on the KT, but now thinking it's not good idea to mix the 2 and definitely not to overdo it.
I have gone overboard on ACV myself - NOT fun. I hope you're feeling a little better. It's really powerful stuff, and sometimes we learn the hard way. I too can be accused of going with the "more is better" philosophy. Once my allergies were so unbearable, I took a huge concoction of natural remedies... became so nauseous I thought something terrible was happening and went to the ER! Way too much Primrose, echinacea, etc., etc. But it was all in self-love - I was trying so hard to help my body naturally that I didn't realize how powerful these things are. Now I tread lightly and take things one step at a time, lol.

Maybe lots of water today - flush out your system!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #568
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ha, I had done a bit of eye rolling myself when my friend first introduced me to it. She said you can feel the difference after one sip. I was like , yeah Right! but I took a sip of hers and the world got brighter and I felt like smiling and felt like I had taken my liquid B12 sublingual, but without the flushing! I had to admit the stuff is awesome at one sip back then too! She even told me people are supposed to only start with 4 oz! That's just a shot for me!

[COLOR="Teal"]4oz?! That's a shot for me too. I don't normally feel anything, but I have ventured to drink a second bottle of Synergy right after the first and I don't think it sat well on my stomach. I have to limit myself. Then last night I had one of my home brews and I could feel my heart racing - I had an egg cream for dinner (2eggs w/tea - no cream, SF syrup & coconut oil) so not much food and my brews are a bit on the sweet side. Not sure if it was the sugar or just the fact that I really didn't eat anything when I drank it that caused the racing. I also didn't sleep all that well last night - oh wait, I had like 2 diet pepsis at a soccer party that ended at 8:30. I have not been drinking much caffeine - that was most likely the culprit... [/COLOR]

I have Enzymedica enzymes, and I think they are the best company cause all they make are enzymes. the ones I've got are basic digestive enzymes: protease, amylase, lipase, cellulase and a few other. it's high potency and really neat if you feel the need to overindulge or are eating a new food and want to be sure it doesn't sit wrong, or if a food sits wrong, you can take it to help it finish digesting. I also have a bottle of high potency protease capsules for when I catch cold or flu. since viruses have protein cellwalls to protect them, adding protease between meals helps the white blood cells to digest them and attack the virus inside.

[COLOR="teal"]Thanks for the information. I don't really have digestive problems so I don't think I need digestive enzymes, but that might be something to look into for DH. [/COLOR]
Old 05-28-2009, 10:16 AM   #569
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have gone overboard on ACV myself - NOT fun. I hope you're feeling a little better. It's really powerful stuff, Maybe lots of water today - flush out your system!
Did it make your teeth hurt?? I know if I cheat and overload on sugar, I can feel it in the internals of my teeth and this is how they felt but much worse. I did what I do with the sugar and started taking garlic oil (natural antibiotic, but I believe it works by thinning & flushing, I used to have to use it all time for infections before I started using guaifenesin & all that does is thin the lymph fluids so they flush & don't stagnate) I was feeling much better after a dose of garlic and ok today but don't feel quite right. You're right, water only for me today for sure.

If you have problems with allergies, I would suggest esterC & marine beta carotene (algae) 3x day if having symptoms. Once a day is fine if no symptoms. I don't have allergies but I lived in Austin & many people had real bad allergies (called it cedar fever) for months at a time. I got involved with spirulina based nutritional programs. I suck as a salesman, but I would offer to people and tell them if it doesn't work, don't have to pay me and they should be fine in 6 weeks & if they continued once day would never have allergy symptoms again. It worked for everyone. One guy said it didn't work, next year he wanted more & I said why if it doesn't work?? He didn't take it 3x day like I said just once a day and it worked just took 3x longer (6 months vs 6 wks). Anyways it was basically just algae & esterC, which I'm betting you can get a lot cheaper than thru a MLM.

Allergies are just a symptom of an immune system not working appropriately and needing nutritional support.

Last edited by cindy_cfids; 05-28-2009 at 10:19 AM..
Old 05-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #570
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I just gave another bottle of kombucha fermented grape juice to BF this morning. He's so excited.
Metqa, I remember reading about your grape kombucha (and saw pics) tried to go thru this thread and learn more but couldn't find what I was curious about, so probably this has been asked & answered, but gonna do it again lol

It's my understanding that you took a spare scoby and put it directly in grape juice (unsweetened pure grape juice, I'm assuming) with NO tea or anything else and let it ferment, is this right? Does the scoby reproduce, is it healthy? Have you been doing this continuously? How does this compare with KT that has been flavored with grape juice?? I'd love to do this of course lol but way too cheap.