Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #301
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
[COLOR="DarkRed"]I finally got up the nerve to play "original" Kombucha (GT's). Oh my goodness!!! It is so good, it reminds me of a soda that I loved as a kid - Apple Beer (non alcoholic) [/COLOR]
Another one bites the dust!!! LOL you will be brewing before you know it!
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I have been sick the past three days now (including today) and really craved some kombucha and couldn't go get any. So- today I faked one out by adding some ACV to my saccharined decaf- not the same, but close enough to tide me over- I hope![/COLOR]

pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:54 PM   #303
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Poor Pepperette is under the weather!

Now see, If you were Brewing, all you'd have to do is walk to the kitchen. . . So when do you want that scoby?
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #304

I got some neat little cardboard tags with strings on them. So Now I can label my bottles with the date and just hang the tag around the neck. they come in two neon colors so I'm gonna use green for regular and orange for any flavored ones I make in the future.

BF is totally onto the grape juice boocha. He had to limit himself he was drinking it too fast and kept saying "Why do I feel this way"

It's not caffeine!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #305
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Poor Pepperette is under the weather!

Now see, If you were Brewing, all you'd have to do is walk to the kitchen. . . So when do you want that scoby?

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]As soon as I have my brewing jug and some bottles, I will give you a holler, for sure ![/COLOR]

Old 04-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #306
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]As soon as I have my brewing jug and some bottles, I will give you a holler, for sure ![/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]No time like the present. I'm winging it... I had a large jar that, I thought had a large capacity so I dumped the last of a bottle in there and then a few days later added some sweet tea - not nearly as large as I expected - we'll see what develops. If nothing, I have just thrown my brewing schedule off by a week - oh well. I definitely need to buy a couple sun tea jars from walmart. That will be my mission this weekend. I have been saving my synergy bottles - I got quite a collection - has only cost me a small fortune.[/COLOR]

If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer!

Be Prepared - It's not just a Boy Scout motto anymore!

If anyone doesn't think their plan is the best; they should probably be looking for a new plan. - Jezzie
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #307
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I have saved 3 Synergy bottles- all I've had. Payday is next week, so if the last 3 sick days don't mess it up too badly, I'm going for a sun tea jug at WallyWorld(don't have any big jars handy), and maybe some more Synergy for the bottles. I figured if they used them, it's ok for me, too. The cranberry was really fizzy, but the bottle held up! I'm so excited about this I started a blog to keep track of how I do- bad or good. Need to find a new webcam- found my old one and it makes noise on the inside- besides not working!LOL! Thought I'd try photo-documenting the "science project" once I get everything on hand.[/COLOR]

Fear the bread, NOT the butter...
IBKKF 898 - International Brotherhood of Kombucha and Kefir Fermenters (borrowed from porcupine73)

Last edited by pepperette; 04-24-2009 at 03:04 PM..
Old 04-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #308

How cool! Put up a link for us, kay?

I use a huge pickle jar that I begged from boyfriend. He kept recycling them.
I really make more Kombucha than I need or can drink. I didn't really need a two gallon jar, but I wanted it. My one gallon Jar would have been fine at the rate I've settled to, but I think my consumption might increase with the summer heat.

I bought 6 one-liter swing top bottles from HH before they went out of stock, so I'll be set for some aged Fizzy Kombucha this summer. Glass is expensive to ship. i want some 8 oz and 16 oz swingtops, but dang the shipping.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #309
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Glass is expensive to ship. i want some 8 oz and 16 oz swingtops, but dang the shipping.
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Me, too, but a few of the sites I saw were either out of stock for that size, or, yeah, the shipping sucked! For ten bucks or so I can have my 3 bottles, and still have boocha to drink! Can't beat that! And I think I will just go with whatever the size of the sun tea jar. I may need to get 2, or a bigger one after I get the hang of brewing, 'cause I look like a bottle-a-day gal (or more for sure ).

(The blog link is under the siggy quote- not much to look at yet.)[/COLOR]

Old 04-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #310

I found a Grolsch Bottle at the Thrift store and snatched it up.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #311
Major LCF Poster!

An actice scoby pic!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Have fun boocha babes/boys- any can borrow and use (same for the bigger one, too)![/COLOR]

Old 04-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #312

haha, I had to shake my jar just yesteday, my scoby was climbing the sides!
Old 04-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #313
Major LCF Poster!

New Movie Title:

The Scoby That Ate New York!!
Protect your loved ones- cover your scoby!

Last edited by pepperette; 04-25-2009 at 04:14 PM..
Old 04-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #314

I"ve got a stack of Monster Scobys that's be perfect for the part!
Old 04-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #315

Okay, so I found this recipe to clarify any flavor.

You take whatever flavor it is. Chicken broth, Chocolate, strawberry, carrot juice, whatever, and you mix it with gelatin. then you freeze it, and then you let the whole block of gelatinized liquid thaw in the fridge in a colander over a bowl. the solid stuff, and fat if any will stay in the block of gelatin, but the flavor will melt and drip out with the water.

Some german dude figure this out years ago and made crystal clear carrot juice. Also made chocolate essense, completely clear and fat free meat consummes and even a bright red crystal clear strawberry essense. the last one interests me. I think it might be cool to take some off our favorite fruit flavors and clarify them and add them as flavors to the finished kombucha. You'd get the flavor without the worry of rotting fruit or funny floaty fruit bits. Cause it's gelatin I think it still wouldn't work with citrus flavors though. But berry flavors or ginger or other flavors. I wonder what chocolate boocha would taste like? Or carrot boocha?

I'm testing the theory with some chicken broth I made, and if it works I'm gonna try it with strawberries.

Quote:
At Jean Georges on Central Park West, the executive pastry chef, Johnny Iuzzini, makes a strawberry soda as part of his strawberry dessert course. ''I clarify a purée of strawberries and the water I cook them in and get a beautifully clear red liquid with a bright, fresh flavor,'' he said. ''I don't have to add any sugar. I carbonate it and top it with a birch-beer foam and diced strawberries.''

Mr. Iuzzini also uses the technique to make an even more surprising dish for his chocolate course. He makes separate ''stocks'' of dark and white chocolate by cooking them in water, then clarifies them into fat-free liquids, one brown and one colorless. He then adds sugars and xanthan gum, a thickener, to give the two liquids different densities and a slight cohesiveness. This allows him to build a two-story drink, a layer of cold white chocolate consommé riding on a base of hot dark chocolate consommé.So far I've used gelatin clarification to make tomato, Parmesan and chicken consommés.

Last edited by metqa; 04-25-2009 at 06:58 PM..
Old 04-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #316
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]LOL! I bet you do, too![/COLOR]

Old 04-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #317
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]OMG chocolate boocha! And cranberry with- maybe- fewer carbs? I shudder in delight as I dream- could it be so? If you can make chocolate boocha, we will all to your Kombucha Brewing Majesty!

[/COLOR]

Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #318
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
oh neat metqa!!! can't wait to hear how it tuns out!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #319
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Okay...question from me.

I haven't read through the whole thread here, but I need some boocha advice.

We've had a great, great scoby going for quite a few months now. Lots of growth, lots of babies. We were keeping two going so our brew was staggered (and we always had some). My previous attempt (a year or a year and a half ago) was not successful. I was brewing in my kitchen and my scoby got mold (and yes, it was really mold. Blue and furry!). I think a thin layer of grease got on the scoby and caused it to be hospitable to yuckies as it wasn't breathing.

Okay, so fast forward. The current scoby has been doing GREAT! Truly wonderful. Loving the brew. I use a huge glass jar from Ikea topped w/ cheesecloth (a few layers) and a rubberband. I keep it in a walk in pantry that is in my kitchen.

DH pulled back the cloth the other day and we found little fruitflies (I have them in my kitchen this week. The weather here in NC has been 90 degrees!). A few actual flies on the scoby surface, plus (get ready for TMI) a few teensy, tiny crawling maggot/wormy things They were so small you could barely tell they were there, except they were moving

The scoby is thick. I am wondering if you'd chance pulling off the top few layers and trying to save it. Is that crazy? I didn't see any yuck in the actual *tea*/brew, but definitely on the surface.

Most advice I'm reading says cheesecloth and a rubberband should keep them out, but it sure didn't for me. I was hesitant to use something more solid like a cloth napkin or coffee filter for fear I'd run into problems having it breathe enough again. I'm guessing I need to move to something more solid like a cloth napkin or coffee filter. One other tip I saw was to try two bay leaves on the scoby surface to deter bugs, and setting fruitfly traps (boocha and dishsoap in a container to lure them in and then kill them).

Any tips? Has this happened to anyone else? Start over or peel it and pray
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]brittone2 , I just started my first brew yesteday so no fruit flies. You'd gotta wonder about me if there was . I am sure one of the real experts will have an answer for you shortly.

I started 2- 1 gal jars (covered with coffee filters/rubber bands) yesterday. I guess I should have staggered them, but I have a feeling that I will be adding a couple more gallons and I will stagger those. I already have to beat my 16 yr old son away from my synergy with a stick - he'd drive us into poverty if I allowed him to drink as much as he would like.
[/COLOR]
Old 04-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #321
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: brittone2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoSkids View Post
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]brittone2 , I just started my first brew yesteday so no fruit flies. You'd gotta wonder about me if there was . I am sure one of the real experts will have an answer for you shortly.

I started 2- 1 gal jars (covered with coffee filters/rubber bands) yesterday. I guess I should have staggered them, but I have a feeling that I will be adding a couple more gallons and I will stagger those. I already have to beat my 16 yr old son away from my synergy with a stick - he'd drive us into poverty if I allowed him to drink as much as he would like.
[/COLOR]
Once you get them going, you should be able to stagger them. Just let one brew a few days (2-3) longer than the other, kwim?

I hope you enjoy the new hobby!
brittone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #322
Major LCF Poster!

Oh no! I'm only on my second batch of boocha, but I'm using coffee filters and the brew seems to be doing fine (no bugs/mold). I don't know if you can salvage the scobe, darn that stinks!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]So far everything I have read, and the videos all say NOT to use cheesecloth as the openings between threads was too large. They said to use clean handkerchiefs, or a piece of sheet or towel. Just something to allow the scoby to breathe and keep the fruit flies out.

I have some never been used, neon green- black spider and web halloween material. Thought I'd dig it out, give it a wash and use that as a cover. If I'm gonna have a scarey growth in my house, I might as well get a laugh or two from it![/COLOR]

Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #324

Whoo Hoo, It worked!

Here are photos of my frozen gelatinized chicken broth. the broth that has dripped off of the gelatin mass, and the crystal clear result! It tastes just like my chicken broth, but I can't feel any fat in it with my tongue ( THAT was a little disturbing hey we wouldn't need fat in our flavors, right)

Oh Wow, I'm gonna use this broth for my shrimp soup tonight.
I wish I had taken a picture of the broth before I started. It looked like normal broth, it was cloudy even though I strained it and you couldn't see through it. it didn't look clear like apple juice like this stuff does.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:21 AM   #325
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"](...waiting for the chocolate trial...)[/COLOR]

Old 04-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #326
Major LCF Poster!

Woah, that is some seriously clear chicken broth! Cool, I'll be giving this a try for the boocha flavors! Thanks for testing this Metqa!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #327
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Oooh, send me the chocolate!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #328
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I just want the chocolate recipe! That's all, just a measley recipe! I can make it if I knew exactly what was used, and how.

(Do you think I've whined and cried enough to get metqa to try the chocolate one and give out the recipe?)[/COLOR]

Old 04-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #329
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]metqa, please, listen to the woman!!! How pathetic does pepperette have to get?! Have some sympathy for the poor lady!

Ok, we got whining and now begging - think that will work? [/COLOR]
Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #330
Major LCF Poster!