Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Organic and Natural Eating
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #271
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/138.1/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
See, to me - completely fine. I'm almost wondering if I should get a ceramic crock so he can't see!

I loved my cranberry one from the food co-op, I can see how it can become very appealing.

Do you think an iced tea jar, the gallon type with a spigot would work? Or would that be too large? I can sort of envision tapping it off daily for a little bit and then refilling it - or am I totally off base?
A gallon is a lot to start with and I think a good amount. I only upgraded cause I got greedy!:blush: a Gallon would be , hmm . . . .8 16 oz bottles, 7 if you leave some to start the next batch. Get a glass one with a lever spigot, those thumb spigots suck and often will get stuck in the open position.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2009, 04:29 AM   #272
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/182/135 (26-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I just realized, John is a big Snapple fan, so I'll have lots of glass bottles to work with. I think I'm just going to tell him that I'm making homemade soda. I'll see if I can find one with a lever, then as a batch gets ready, I can drain and then refill. This has potential. I'll find the jar first - I'm always doing things in wrong order. First get the supplies then submit adoption papers for a baby scoby.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:59 AM   #273

Ooo, sneaky, I like your plan.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #274
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msbaggypants
Stats: 207/207/160
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 8/9/06 restart 9/15/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
:blush: Sorry!

I think they are all going to keep making a thin scoby unless you pasteurize them. You also have to leave a little air in the bottle for it to get fizzy I think. . . .Laurie can you confirm or deny that for me? I think the yeast still needs some are to keep making carbon dioxide but if it cannot the bacteria take over and make alchohol instead or something to that effect, maybe that's temperature and not air. Oh darn I can't quite recall. but I don't feel like deleting the post so there!

Check out happy herbalist, they have more detailed about the fermenting process. I gotta go do some stuff before the tornado comes through town this evening.
My Kombucha in the gatorade bottles get REAL fizzy. I think the mason jars let in(out) too much air. I just wanted to try something in glass to get away from using the plastic.

I really wish I had a camera, I would love to show you my "experiment"!

Last edited by msbaggypants; 04-15-2009 at 12:52 PM..
msbaggypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pepperette
O.M.G.!!!!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Just got home from shopping- have a raspberry and cranberry Synergy kombucha. Opened the cranberry one, sniffed and...it is like wine cooler heaven! I am seriously in with this stuff! Gonna get a few more bottles of it and start my bottle collection, then a glass sun tea jug and get some stuff from the happy herbalist site to start my own batch. I was a bit leery about the flavor of kombucha, but this is great! Nice and fizzy, just tart enough for my liking, and could replace the diet rite pure zero I've started to drink.[/COLOR]

Fear the bread, NOT the butter...
IBKKF 898 - International Brotherhood of Kombucha and Kefir Fermenters (borrowed from porcupine73)
pepperette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BikerAng
Stats: 195/167/155 5'9"
WOE: Atkins - organic & humanely raised
Start Date: Feb 2007
I think my kombucha is almost ready! I tasted it yesterday and it is still a bit too sweet but it has great flavor! Does anyone do a second ferment adding fruit (like pureed strawberries or blueberries)? I have my bottles all cleaned and ready for the finished kombucha, but was wondering how you all flavor yours (besides using fruit juice). TIA!
BikerAng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurieRobo
Stats: Maintenance 175/150/less than 150
WOE: Healthy Whole Food!
Start Date: March 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerAng View Post
I think my kombucha is almost ready! I tasted it yesterday and it is still a bit too sweet but it has great flavor! Does anyone do a second ferment adding fruit (like pureed strawberries or blueberries)? I have my bottles all cleaned and ready for the finished kombucha, but was wondering how you all flavor yours (besides using fruit juice). TIA!
I second flavor all the time... just like you said and more.. ginger, pineapple juice. Any of the POM' flavors Pom-blueberry, Pom-mango... make and awesome addition.

I have found that I rather a juice to a actual fruit... Strawberry's in particular can turn that funky over ripe taste. Real strawberry preserves work well though....

This batch I am going to use Concord Grape Juice -
LaurieRobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]For flavoring, does the juice need to be sweetened, or not. Also, what does plain old kombucha taste like? I'm thinking I'll go with the flavored if it doesn't mess the blood sugars too much.[/COLOR]

Old 04-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperette View Post
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]For flavoring, does the juice need to be sweetened, or not. Also, what does plain old kombucha taste like? I'm thinking I'll go with the flavored if it doesn't mess the blood sugars too much.[/COLOR]

Well if you add juice to it, then you'll have to consider the impact of the amount of juice you use. You ought to try plain kombucha at least once. I tried a flavored one first because that's what my friend offered, a blueberry flavored one, it was nice, but I found that I was enthralled with the plain kombuch, and I now, if I want a treat, will take plain and add a drop of cranberry juice concentrate. just enough to give it color and a light hint of flavor.

If you only add a little juice the it would only be a little juice sugar, but juice is pretty much sugar, so unless it ferments with it, I'd count whatever you add as normal juice.

Plain Kombucha tastes like a mix of apple cider, sparkling champagne, and a touch of vinegar. It should be light, slightly dry, not saccharin, with a twang but not a bite ( unless you like bite).

ETA: Sorry I really didn't answer the full question. It's up to your tastes whether you want to add more sweetness to the drink. I think folks are using plain 100% fruit juices, but then some folks add sweeteners, it's all preference. i like my boocha practically fighting.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 04-16-2009 at 08:05 PM..
Old 04-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Wonder if Whole Foods has a plain kombucha, or if you have to make your own plain? I found a naturally decaf loose tea (caffeine sensitive here)- Rooibos- to use as starter tea. Thought I'd try that. I am psyched about this! Has anyone tried a ginger kombucha- is it like gingerale-YUM-? When do you add the concentrate- with the second fermentation?[/COLOR]

Last edited by pepperette; 04-16-2009 at 08:15 PM..
Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #281

Quote:
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Wonder if Whole Foods has a plain kombucha, or if you have to make your own plain? I found a naturally decaf loose tea (caffeine sensitive here)- Rooibos- to use as starter tea. Thought I'd try that. I am psyched about this! Has anyone tried a ginger kombucha- is it like gingerale-YUM-? When do you add the concentrate- with the second fermentation?[/COLOR]

hahaha, I just read your siggy, that's righteous!

Um, they might have plain if it's popular enough. Rooibos is a good tea to use. I almost did, since I've not indulged in a lot of caffeine in a long time, but I found the kombucha doesn't bother me like a coke would. I also read that the scoby eats some of it too, but Rooibos is a safe tea alternative. I just bought some to use with an extra scoby, I want to compare.

Um, You can add it with the second ferment or after as you drink. If I'm going to share a bottle with other, I put it in the flask for the second ferment. When I drink straight from t he brewer, I add it to my glass.

I think Laurie has made ginger boocha and she added the ginger to the 2F bottle. She said it got really fizzy when she finally opened it. I want to try that too. I'll bet it tastes more like ginger beer than ginger ale. Laurie, I need your confirmation on the ginger flavor. Is it more like Jamaican ginger beer or more like sweet ginger ale? Do you use mashed , grated or sliced ginger ?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #282
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I watched a video this eve. and she added ginger with fruits, and it looked like her ginger was coarse chopped. It's funny you said "sweet" ginger ale as DS2 thinks it is bitter- kinda like Perrier, which I love! No wonder I liked the kombucha![/COLOR]

Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #283

Man, all this talk is making me thirsty!!
Yeah, I like the strong Ginger Beer type, since I tasted it, regular ginger ale tastes oh so sweet and gooey now.

Gnight, y'all! Happy Boocha Dreams!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #284

I AM NOT KIDDING. I just got a shot of kombucha and was sipping it while looking at my house plants. there is a shaded lamp behind them. as I sipped slowly the light started to brighten. I swear I had this experience the first time I supped. I thought, "man, the world seems a little brighter." I've told myself it was my imagination, clouds moving or something, but here it's definitely happened again. It's incredible, how crazy is that?

ETA: the light has been on all day so it wasn't just getting to max lums either. I'm going to bed. I'll probably have vivid dreams.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I've done ginger with the ginger root and with the powdered spice. I had good luck adding about 1/2 inch square sliced thin of the root to a quart and ferment a week or so. On the spice, I added a couple shakes, probably more than 1/4 teaspoon to a quart, and was way too much. Overpowering and pretty spicy. It was added to the second ferment. I'm thinking grated fresh ginger would be the best way to try it.

On the juice, I add a T of juice concentrate or so to 12 oz in the second ferment. It's still somewhat sweet after 3-4 days, but fizzy. After a week, it's pretty dry and very much like a wine cooler. I'm pretty sure the sugar added from the juice concentrate is used up by then. DH loves pineapple concentrate. In 3-4 days, it still has a pineapple taste, but after a week it tastes like a dry ale beer. He doesn't do alcohol, so this is a nice substitute for him.

Last edited by msbaggypants; 04-17-2009 at 09:19 AM..
Old 04-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #286

Thanks Ms Baggy, for the ginger tips!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #287
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone! My unflavored batch is almost ready, still a little bit sweet but it's getting more tart and kombucha-y!
Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Drinking the GT's Gingerade right now- WOW! is it good! Was going to try the original but saw the gingerade and went with it. Glad I did- now I know what flavors to try brewing.
MsBaggy-- What concentrates do you get? Are they sugar free? I am so psyched and can hardly wait to get my supplies. I have found a tasteful, healthy alternative to my sodas! Might need to get myself a small fridge just for the kombucha!

PS: I think this thread needs to be a Sticky![/COLOR]

Old 04-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

For all the Boocha Babes (and Boys)...

Old 04-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #290

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

LOL!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #292
Senior LCF Member

I just get frozen juice concentrate from the grocery store. The kind you mix 1 can concentrate with 3 cans water (I think...) I have tried the pineapple and the apple-cherry. I have apple-raspberry I am going to try next. It's 100% juice, so no added sugar, but plenty of natural sugar.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Guess I'll have to go with the real fruit. The juices (unsweetened) still make the blood sugars elevate. I know I want to do cranberry, and ginger, and thought about blackberry, too.

Does anyone use loose leaf tea? What do you use to steep it in, or do you just strain the leaves out after steeping?[/COLOR]

Old 04-21-2009, 03:09 AM   #294
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:

DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #295
Senior LCF Member

I've done loose leaf tea, and just strain it when I put it in the jug.

You might be able to make some juice concentrate, I'm thinking if you thaw frozen blackberries, put them in some cheesecloth or muslin and squeeze out the juice, that would work. That's about what I do to make juice for jelly. With my grapes and chokecherries, you add enough water to the fresh fruit and simmer for a while, then squeeze out juice in a juice bag. Should work and without the sugar.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:14 PM   #296

I can get fruit juice extracts from the health food store. they carry blueberry, concord grape, cranberry, and a few other juice concentrates. They are marketed for health remedies and therefore are all No Sugar Added, just fruit juice. Just one drop of cranberry extract is enough to flavor a whole cup of boocha.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #297
Senior LCF Member

those sound yummy...

my pharmacy might have some of them, are they Lorann flavorings?
Old 04-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #298
Major LCF Poster!

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I thought the LorAnns flavorings were oils- that's how they are listed in Netrition. Not sure how an oil would work in the KT?[/COLOR]

Old 04-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #299

No they were just pressed and concentrated juice. No oils, just juice. Let me go get one . . .

It says Tree of Life Cranberry Concentrate Unsweetened 100% pure fruit 8 fl.oz., Ingredients: Cranberry Concentrate, contains no preservatives, sugar or artificial ingredients, refrigerate after opening. Mix one part concentrate to five parts water. My bottle was 9.49 for 8 ounces but prices have gone up.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JoSkids
[COLOR="DarkRed"]I finally got up the nerve to play "original" Kombucha (GT's). Oh my goodness!!! It is so good, it reminds me of a soda that I loved as a kid - Apple Beer (non alcoholic) [/COLOR]
JoSkids is offline   Reply With Quote