Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Bone broth - a beginner's pictorial journey

Here goes - I have never made bone broth, but I just cleaned the last of the meat off an awesome smoked turkey.

Given the amount I spent on that darn bird, I feel like I need to do something to make the most of it.

Soooo - bone broth.

My plan - 24 hour simmer (from Wellness Mama)

I broke up the carcass into several pieces and dumped everything I didn't feed to the cats. I also chopped a tired looking onion and put in a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.

Hour 1 (1 pm) - starting it to boil and will start scooping off the impurities. I have no idea what I'm looking for so I hope it's obvious (like the foam from boiling chicken for chicken salad).

Any other ideas? I'll add whatever you guys suggest if it makes sense and I have it. Note - I don't have celery or carrot and will do garlic at the end. I'll take pictures along the way for those who are interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo copy.jpg (36.5 KB, 13 views)

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Is this the foam I should be skimming? I'll give it another half hour or more, but I think this is what I should be skimming off.

I lowered it to simmer and am headed off to start holiday decorations with my daughter. We love December!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo copy 2.jpg (33.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I don't skim mine. No need. I add bay leaf, whole peppercorns, carrot, celery, garlic (if organic - no need to wash or even peel). I also use any saved pan drippings, and a bit of dried seaweed. I use a large stock pot and only add 1 tbsp. of organic vinegar. More than 1 or 2 tbsp. can leave a vinegary taste.
24 hours is a good time to simmer then put it through a strainer and store in the fridge or freezer. Freezing it into silicone forms is also a great way to have some on hand at all times.
Can't keep up with the consumption in this house lately. Bone broth making has become a weekly exercise.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 11-29-2014 at 01:54 PM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Cathy - Hopefully the apple cider vinegar is mellow.

I just added peppercorns (and a bit of oregano and rosemary - I love rosemary with turkey). I have my pan drippings from yesterday out on back porch (frozen in the smoker pan - I'll add them as things boil down).

My earlier bubbles that I expected to be foam reduced to nothing. After 3 hours - no foam. I guess that's a good thing. This was a semi-local turkey from a good farm.

I'll have to figure out the household consumption - just me and Lindsey (6 yo), but if I can get her to drink a cup of broth daily, then we will be about a gallon a week.

I'm finding that if I build it into a daily routine, more apt to eat some of these "nourishing" foods, so maybe we can have heated broth for breakfast or pre-dinner. I was able to do the fermented cabbage daily when I packed it in a container for daily lunch at work.

Do you add salt? When? The broth is pretty bland right now (I'm a chronic "taster" in the kitchen so I'm sampling it hourly).
Old 11-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Sounds like it is going to be goooood! I salt as I eat it. Don't forget to add a pat of butter to your heated cup of broth.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

I've been sampling all evening - yummmmmy. Smoky and salty and fatty broth.

I'll make sure to add butter to the heated broth, if I even need to.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Here we are almost 6 hours after starting (I dumped the drippings from yesterday's BBQ on the back patio).

It's very smoky and savory - all I can think of is: Why haven't I had this before? This is so satisfying with the salt/smoke/fat combination.

Onward - another 18 hours of cooking. What will it be like? I'm sure good things to come!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo copy 3.jpg (28.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Question - since I haven't had to skim for impurities, what do you think about taking the meat/fat and pulverizing in vitamix and adding to broth when I'm done? I have shreds of turkey that have tasted great as i have sampled while cooking. Why waste the meat or fat if I can add it to my broth?

Would you pulverize the bones? (I'm open to that after tasting this incredible broth). This is good stuff - I smoked for almost 10 hours yesterday in a low temperature apple wood smoke, so there's a lot of babying. This is good stuff.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Know nothing about impurities etc. I would not pulverize bones but would add meat for a hearty soup. Once you have strained it and cooled it, the fat will congeal on top and you should have a clear (maybe gelatinous broth) ready for eating just the way it is or for making soups and or other recipes.

What is the concern about impurities?

Last edited by clackley; 11-29-2014 at 05:35 PM..
Old 11-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

No specific concern about impurities other than reading several articles about "skimming off" impurities. From what I have seen - my brew is pretty clean.

I have boiled chicken breasts to make chicken salad and seen a foam on top - not with this turkey.

Cathy - when you cool it and have the fat on top, do you consume it? I would think yes (not afraid of fat here) but still trying to figure out this whole bone broth journey, thus my starting this thread.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:31 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

I skim the fat because I don't care for chicken fat. Many people do. Just personal preference. And chicken fat has a less than ideal omega 6 content.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Cathy - I'll try both and see which is better. When it's hot in the pot the oil isn't as noticeable - but, I suspect there is an ick factor when it's cold in the fridge.

It has boiled down a bit, so this is some pretty dark stuff with the turkey bits and skin down to brown flecks - tasty. I think I am going to pulverize the meat and mix into the broth - seems like a waste not to use it. I'll have to figure out portioning for the week. Maybe freeze in 2 c. Bell jars (with space at the top).

I read where someone made a form of egg drop soup by dropping a whisked egg into the hot soup - might try that today.

These pictures are at 21 hours - almost there. I think I will leave on the stove when we go to a friend's daughter's birthday party which will probably put us at about 26-27 hours. Yum!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (23.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (25.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-30-2014, 08:59 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

The fat will rise to the top when refrigerated. It will not get hard but is scoopable. A small amount remains in the broth unless you are determined to remove every bit.

Egg drop soup is really nice. I do a version that includes a bit of ginger, garlic, sesame oil and soy sauce. Drizzle the egg into a swirling, hot broth and then throw in a bit of chopped green onion! So good!
Old 11-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Irish_Troy
Stats: Age 47 - 211/157/150
WOE: LCHF / NK / Fat Fast
Start Date: 1.1.2014
Okay so I go to the local Meat Market here in Ponchatoula, Louisiana and ask them if they have any beef bones with the marrow still in it or ox tail or at least beef ribs, He says yeah I can give you about 15 pounds of dear bones with the meat and marrow still attached .....So I'm like sweeet how much? OH you can have it for free we usually just throw the bones out we don't have the freezer space for them. .....Well my freezer is full now!!!
Irish_Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Troy - take pictures, let me know how it goes.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:10 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peter Parker
I'm on my third batch of turkey bone broth--I smoked one organic turkey and roasted the other--so lots of bones to make broth.

When I buy my grass fed beef, I always pick up some bones and make broth. Delicious!

Also, I usually pick up some "marrow bones" and roast them--it's a quick, nutritious, lunch or dinner. Love it with a leafy green salad!
Peter Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Troy - take pictures, let me know how it goes.
Deer Bone Broth
Deer bone broth.jpg

and my homemade Ghee

20141030_080919.jpg
Old 12-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

10432101_823933830996487_3770078729659485447_n.jpg
Old 12-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eidah
Can I done broth with beef bone that is NOT grass fed? or are they harmful and would better off with out bone broth???
Eidah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidah View Post
Can I done broth with beef bone that is NOT grass fed? or are they harmful and would better off with out bone broth???
It isn't necessary to use grass fed beef....Like most things some are better than others. As I have continued on this eating journey I have tried to "do better" as I have progressed. Grass fed beef is part of this process.

FWIW, I now buy my grass fed beef in 50 lb. packages from a local rancher at half the price of what was available at my closest Costco. Love the taste, and knowing where my beef comes from. Additionally, as I have learned more about ancestral eating, I have enjoyed eating "nose to tail" and experimenting with various recipes. Bone broth is one of them!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

My smoked turkey bone broth is awesome. I brought 8-12 oz. jars to work, heated it up and sipped it while working. I could inhale this stuff.... something about being smoky and salty.

Has anyone smoked beef and then used the bones to make broth? Which bones are better, large or small?

Pork? -- I'd love to smoke some pork and would consider using the bones for broth.

Here's my somewhat "ick" factor - I have seen marrow dishes (I remember a business dinner in Belfort, France at a top restaurant and one of my colleagues had a marrow bone dish and the marrow seeped out of the bones, almost like mayonnaise or pus and was very unappetizing to me so I have this issue with large bone beef bone marrow). Maybe I need to get over that.

Tonight, I skimmed some turkey fat off my broth to use as oil for sautéed chicken, so really, it's the same thing, but somehow.... Call me a hypocrite.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #21
Chatty Cathy

Here is my 'ick'.... Feet... Chicken feet. They are great for broth but they make me cringe. I still use them though.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
When I was a kid, I loved sucking on the tiny, soft, chicken feet bones, but then we moved to a place where you could not get chicken feet--the island of Okinawa. For five years I bemoaned their lack when my mom made chicken soup. On our very last day on the island we were on our way to the airport and we were delayed by an overturned truck that spilled it's cargo on the road. And the cargo was. . .

Chicken feet. Tons of chicken feet!

Weird.

I still didn't get chicken feet when we returned to the states.

A few years ago we found that our pastured chicken farmer sells frozen chicken feet. She threw in a few heads as a bonus.

I could not do it. The feet looked like hands in the soup, and the heads--shudder! As an adult, I fail at "nose to tail". Sorry chickens.

Last edited by Janknitz; 12-03-2014 at 09:43 AM..
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Here's my somewhat "ick" factor - I have seen marrow dishes (I remember a business dinner in Belfort, France at a top restaurant and one of my colleagues had a marrow bone dish and the marrow seeped out of the bones, almost like mayonnaise or pus and was very unappetizing to me so I have this issue with large bone beef bone marrow). Maybe I need to get over that.
I'm working hard to overcome my "ick" factors. Bone marrow was one of them. As I've gotten deeper into "nutrition" and respecting both my health and the animal, I've gotten over some of these "ick" issues.

As an FYI When you make beef bone broth and refrigerate it, it will bone gelatinous (like jello). It becomes liquid when heated. This is a result of all the healthy collagen. Not sure if that is an issue--just a heads up!

Keep experimenting with new stuff and share. Luv it!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Peter - you might have sold me. As I'm thinking about it - I loved my turkey broth and there was some floaty stuff that I have scooped up for a sautéed chicken dish this week the same way I save bacon drippings. I like ground beef because I can't see it (and there is no strange "mouth-feel"). Plus, smoked is such a wonderful taste.

Maybe if I smoke it (either beef or pork) and then create a bone broth, then that will be the answer (for me).

I'm getting ready to buy a slaughtered pig this month from a regional organic farm (you buy the pig and the processor processes according to specs). What pig bones do I ask for? Not sure I can say: just ship me the spine.

Jan - now if I were to simmer the chicken feet for 24 hours (like I did with the turkey) and then threw them away to never be seen again, maybe this would work. The same farm who sells me the pig also sells chickens, so I would only want to get from them (knowing the farming methods).

And please, don't tell me that smoking negates the benefits of bone broth - I will cry! I can see it now - neighbor stops by - "mmmmmmm, I smell it, what are you smoking?" ..... "Chicken feet".

My poor daughter - I'm sure she just wants to be a normal kid rather than the offspring of an eccentric who boils bones, takes pictures of the broth and gleefully reports to a bunch of strangers who have become virtual friends.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #25
Chatty Cathy

You are providing her with a wonderful perspective on the world of nutrition. It is a gift. However, it may take her years to realize it!
Old 12-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jmh6251
Stats: 183/176/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: May 2014
I just got done boiling up Ham Hock Bone Broth. I cooked it in the crockpot for 2 1/2 days. This time I didn't add anything, I usually add tired looking veggies to mine. My daughter skims the fat off hers, but I think the fat and the bone marrow is the best part.
jmh6251 is offline   Reply With Quote