Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nzmegs
WOE: LCHF - Keto
Is it too late - Diabetes?

As many of you know I have had an up and down few months - in terms of my weight. I seem to lose 4-5 pounds a month and put it back on within one week when my cravings get the better of me.

I am currently nearing the end of my current weight gaining phase (it is usually hormone related). So I expect to be back on track very soon and will lose the weight gained.

However, what i have noticed this time around is that this week of eating carbs galore has seen me totally exhausted, symptoms of either high or low blood sugars/blood pressure, feeling sick off and on, headaches, extremely tired, skin spots and dryness, eyesight issues - you name it.

But no thirst, increased urination.

I fully recognise that i need to stick to my ketogenic diet to relieve these symptoms - but i am worried that it has now reached a no going back point. That I now have diabetes. I just feel so rotten - worse than ever.

So i have a question for anyone who has been diagnosed with type 2 - what were the symptoms that finally made you sit up and take notice?

Can I test myself and find out if I really am diabetic?

I am about 15 pounds overweight, exercise regularly (long walks) and 3 weeks out of 4 I eat very low carb. But once a month for one week or 10 days i eat sugar, sweets, bread - everything I can lay my hands on.

Yes, I will visit the doctor - but I doubt there is much they can tell me and that they will simply put me on medication which I do not want.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I certainly hope it's not too late. A keto diet is the way to treat diabetics and get people off their meds. So, it's not too late.

What finally made me sit up and take notice was when the Dr. came in and exclaimed your full blow diabetic! My A1c was 11.6. THAT woke me up. I didn't take the medication he wanted to pedal. I did MediFast. It worked, and my A1c started coming down. But I went off MediFast, I mean really, who does that for life? Got complacent. When I had my A1c tested again, when I was ready to start losing and wasn't, it was still high. Not 11 something but still high.

THAT was the final wake up call for me. I now do no grains, no sugar. Not even tempted by other crap because I know what it will and has been doing to me. Sounds like you know it too. So, maybe you need that call, I hope not, get a grip now. No more carb binges! You KNOW what it's doing to you.

Wishing you all the best in your journey.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne

Last edited by snowangel9; 10-02-2014 at 11:30 AM..
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stilldews
WOE: Keto Diet
I certainly don't think it's too late for you. Many people who have had type 2 diabetes for years have improved on low carb and many have been able to get their blood sugars so under control that they are no longer classified as diabetic. You can buy a do it yourself HgA1C test kits at the drugstore. It tells you your average blood sugar over the last 3 months or just ask your doctor to order it.
stilldews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/120, 30"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Megs,

I certainly hope you've not become diabetic! Good luck to you and I hope you can get a dr's opinion soon.

Have you thought about what's triggering those cravings? I'm assuming it's TOM... always rough! I got the advice from someone in this forum to indulge during those days by disregarding any caloric limits, but sticking to on-plan foods. So far that's worked well for me.

Or maybe you're bored with your on-plan foods or missing those carb-rich foods that used to be part of your day? When I'm having feelings like those I try out a new HFLC recipe... That's how I found cauliflower mac, cauliflower pizza crust, and fauxtato skins... Yum! I've also added back a LCHF muffin for breakfast most mornings. Bagels and muffins were a part of my morning for so many years, I realized I felt deprived with my other breakfast options. Even the ones I enjoyed.

Hope you can figure this out and overcome those cravings!
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
It's NEVER too late. If you look at Jenny Ruhl's website it tells you how to do your own glucose tolerance test with a blood glucose meter. Or you could just track your blood sugars to see what's happening. Then there's always your doctor ...

It may not be diabetes (excessive thirst usually accompanies the frequent urination).

Sounds like to me that you keep throwing yourself back into sugar burning mode--each time you go back to keto you have to pee out the extra fluid from excess glycogen, and your fatigue is related to the constant "low carb flu". My guess is that you are not eating enough fat and nutrient dense foods when you low carb, poor nutrition and caloric restriction is driving you to binge. Eat real food, go for nutrition first. Perhaps stop worrying about keto and get tons of colorful veggies, organ meats, and good fats.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: isabela_mp
Stats: 182/179/143
Start Date: 15/11/14
Hi Megs,

Did you ever heard about reactive hypoglicemia?

This is what I have, basically you have all the sugar ups and downs and feel sick to ur guts withign 3/4 max after u eat ( with me is within 30 min) exactly like it would be with a diabetic.

Except to the fact that this happens to people which are not diabetic. Good part is, well you dont have diabetes, bad part is you must be very careful with carbs and if you keep an eye on, you dont have the symptoms

I cross my fingers that is not too late for you!
isabela_mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catalinagal
I had no symptoms when I was dx in 2003 with type 2, so can't help you there, but I suggest you get a meter & strips (inexpensive at Walmart) and start testing. You test when you awake (fasting), test before meals, then one hour (should be highest peak about then) and at 2 hours you should be down to pre-meal number. The idea depending on who you listen to is to keep your highest post meal number under 140 (I like to keep it under 120). You won't have to test as frequently as you find out which foods affect your blood glucose. Diabetics are carb intolerant, so avoiding the obvious; potatoes, breads, rice, starchy veggies like carrots & peas is a path to better control.

There are so many substitutes for the real thing that are healthy and satisfying, it isn't the end of the world to be diabetic.

Best wishes to you and set your mind at ease by getting the meter!
Catalinagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catalinagal
Another thought, not all doctors start with meds immediately, I've been doing this for ten years and I'm not on meds. Also, once you are diagnosed, it is on your medical record for life, so if you can get a meter and begin testing for a while, you may avoid a diagnosis. You can also purchase a home HbA1c testing kit that will tell you what your blood sugar average has been over a 3 month period. They keep changing the number at which they consider one to be diabetic, but under 6% is good.
Catalinagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
There is no way that it's too late. There is information about reversing diabetes. There is a doctor, Jason Fung, in Toronto who is a nephrologist treating kidney disease and diabetes with intermittent fasting which calls for fasting every other day or at least 3 days a week. He's have marvelous results with stopping Type 2 diabetes. Since hyperlinks are allowed in this forum, you can search his name or look for his lectures on youtube. He's very easy to understand. And even though you probably don't need to do anything this drastic, my point is that you are not in an irreversible state.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Your weight loss/gain pattern sounds a lot like mine was. I could only gut out the constant hunger and cravings for so long. My A1c and blood sugar were fine, but my fasting insulin was high.

I started Metformin and have finally been able to lose some weight. I feel like my body is using food for energy now, not just for making fat.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/120, 30"/115 or 30"
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Any update, Megs?

Have you had a chance to check in with your doctor or do a home test?
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy girl View Post

......There is no way that it's too late. There is information about reversing diabetes. There is a doctor, Jason Fung, in Toronto who is a nephrologist treating kidney disease and diabetes with intermittent fasting which calls for fasting every other day or at least 3 days a week. He's have marvelous results with stopping Type 2 diabetes. Since hyperlinks are allowed in this forum, you can search his name or look for his lectures on youtube.

I found Dr. Fung by accident whilst searching for something else(then came back here to search for his name....this is the only entry that came up...WOW what an amazing bunch of videos.
Some are heavy with the research (I enjoy the science part), but it is clear that he is good at it!

The JUDDD folks over there on their threads.... I am sure know his name well...but since this thread was the only one with his name linked...maybe not!
I had been listening to the hour long video of Professor Tim Noakes re: The Great Diet Controversy: how his university taught him to question beliefs.
So many discoveries have been made because someone questioned the status quo....

...so I must also keep questioning my choices...but I will always use the lens of blood glucose as a guide!

....with that said, I am now on the hunt of a list of foods that (I didn't know before...like dairy ...I love dairy!) can cause hyperinsulin, ie. subsequent insulin resistance.

Dairy does not cause glucose spikes for me, but one of the things Dr. Fung mentioned was that even though a food doesn't spike glucose, it can still be hyperinsulinogenic! ! ! ....not to mention the connection with all the other metabolic dysfunctions!!!!