Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Fat Fast Challenge

I have been staying around 184-190 for the past 6 months or so.up a few, down a few.

one time I tried fat fasting ,ended up having diarhea(sorry for TMI).second time,I also tried quitting caffeine,then ended up with splitting headaches,had some important appointment,decided to end it.

I really wish I could do 3-5 days of clean fat fast and if I could knock of a couple pounds and see 170s land again,it would give me some much needed Motivation.My lowest this year was in feb at a 173 and then I pitifully fell off the wagon after a few family events.fat fasts used to be easier,but not sure why I couldn't stick with it these last few times.I am allergic to eggs,otherwise I would love an egg fast.

So today is my starting day.Hoping to land myself in upper 170s.

So far had HWC coffee.perhaps pepperoni and cream cheese for later.

anyone care to join?
180:
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I'll join the thread - I won't fat fast for that long, but I can offer support, suggestions and recipes.

Some ideas:

BPC has so many variations
Bag your nuts ahead of time (macadamia and Brazil nuts are great)
Shirataki noodles with 1 oz. of cream cheese, 1 T. butter and some mushrooms is fulfilling
Half an avocado with olive oil (maybe a little bit of parmesan)
fat bombs

Watch the pepperoni for protein content.

Good luck - and I'm cheering you on. I might be joining you on the fat fast on Sunday, depending on what I eat Saturday.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Food=Energy
WOE: NK
Pardon my ignorance, but are there specific macro guidelines I can follow for a fat fast? Thanks
Food=Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/120, 30"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Food = Energy, the basic fat fast guidelines are to stay around 1000 kcal/day with a goal of 90% fat. That's doable, but hard to achieve. I've had success with anything over 85%. Of the remaining 10% of calories as few as possible should come from carbs.
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Good luck, LowCarbella!

*TMI ALERT*

I often get diarrhea on the first day of a fat fast, too. Then I remember to reduce the coconut oil in my BPC and/or spread out my high-fat meals (more, smaller meals a few hours apart) and it resolves. Hope that helps.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Dana Carpenter's book for fat fasting has a lot of information plus 50 great recipes to use. But don't do as I did and get so excited about the recipes that you overdo your daily macros. Good grief! She has good ideas!
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

here is a link for ideas

Fat Fast recipe ideas for kickstarting NK-take#2

thanks for mentioning Bpc.I did have huge success one time with it.but I am trying to cut coffee since they started giving me scary palp.s
I tried decaf but they tasted horrible.maybe I have to get more creative.

not sure why but shirataki noodles give me tummy troubles too.are they made from some type of beans,I am sensitive to them.

I was planning on sour cream or cream cheese portions.

I agree lazygirl,I get all excited too with recipes and get carried away.better to keep it boring.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KarenH
Stats: 182/168/147
Start Date: 8/18/2014
I'm going to jump on this thread as well for the purpose of getting back into ketosis (got knocked out after a failure to reign in some tasting at a cooking class) but I have a huge learning curve so I'll be over here in the corner taking lots of notes. LOL.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
Start Date: April 2012
Thanks for starting a new thread for us! I usually eat around 15-20 grams of protein when I FF. I just can't do all fat. I like to take four of the recipes in the FF cookbook and that way I don't get bored. It makes it so much easier for me to stick with this way.

I ended up not really doing a FF today. I just have been too stressed out because of my health issues and had a dr appointment. I really didn't eat a full meal all day but I'm sure I ate more protein than I normally would on a FF day.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Having fat fast day planned and then having a stressful day and not being able to stick with it really sucks...

I thought I was losing water weight yesterday,but my weight is up back again.
I am thinking of BPC again without the caffeine.Weekend is almost here and not my best time,but I plan to be very strict.Then again,recently I started back on the workout wagon again,so I need to be patient.

So far had a HWC decaf.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Sometimes I think a FF works best during a particularly busy or stressful time. As long as you've planned your day and done the prep work in advance, it can take one task (figuring out what to eat) off your plate.

I've also found that the appetite suppression I get from NK really kicks into high gear on a FF (usually by day 2.) Makes it easier to focus on the tasks at hand and ignore the kitchen for awhile.

Sorry you're having a rough time, LowCarbella. Hope things fall into place for you soon.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok..so...I tracked my food for yesterday and I was at around 1300 calories and around 40 grams of protein. Carbs were low. I gained another pound again today. That's two days on a FF and one day at fairly low calories and protein with a two pound gain. This has never happened to me on a FF...EVER! I am just going to eat my normal meals for a few days and see what happens. Also upping my water. I think my body is just stressed right now. I have two Dr.'s appointments this week so hopefully will get some answers. I am hoping it's just a case of severe acid reflux and not anything more serious.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
I will join you. How many days is recommended? I have been dabbling in the HFLC woe and excited to really nail it down.

I do BPC using decaf as I cannot do caffeine these years. I feel horrible on it.

Playing around with BPC recipes too

Cfine, hope you get some answers!!
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Stevie Renee,

I think the typical FF is about three days, though the duration is totally up to you. Dana Carpender mentions in the intro to her FF cookbook a small study of men who FF'ed for 10 days and had very little loss of LBM, though there was some loss. So, personally, I'd think a week or so as an upper limit.

Like anything else, the length of your FF depends on the purpose of your FF. If you're just trying to get more solidly into ketosis or to attone for a HC day you may benefit from just one day of FF'ing.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
Hiya all!

I was just thinking about doing a Fat Fast and up pops this

I'll join in for at least 3 days and see how I do - I'm sooo close to goal with about 8-10 pounds to go and I'm slowly chiseling off a pound here and there.
Love the appetite suppression on Fat Fast and these are the foods I use, I portion out my 200 cal feeds for the day and I'm good to go.

1Start by eating 1,000 calories daily. Unlike the regular Atkins diet, you will actually have to count calories during the Fat Fast. Dr. Atkins recommends eating 5 200-calorie meals so that you are better able to manage hunger. Sample meals may include:
1 ounce of macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter
2 ounces of cream cheese or Brie
1 ounce of tuna or chicken salad served with 2 teaspoons of mayonnaise inside 1/4 of an avocado
2 deviled eggs made with 1 teaspoon of mayonnaise per egg
2 ounces of sour cream with 2 tablespoons of red or black caviar
1-1/2 ounces of whipped heavy cream topped with sucralose
2 ounces pate
2 hard-boiled egg yolks with 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise

I'm not a cream cheese fan, but love the Brie - first must pop off to TJs to get the mac nuts and the brie - hwc is a staple here - then to dust off the trusty scale
SuzanneM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: KarenH
Stats: 182/168/147
Start Date: 8/18/2014
Cfine - I'm right there with you. I can't seem to keep my protein as low as 20 and boy would it be easy to go over 1000 calories but so far a 1lb loss. Not so sure that will hold though.

SuzanneM - thanks for the menu run down. It's great to get tips from others as to what to eat on FF days. We were on the go today so I grabbed a bag of pork rinds...a little too much protein, hehe.

I made up a small batch of whipped cream with cocoa powder, cinnamon and some stevia and chopped up one square of 99% Lindt. I will have a spoonful of that before I go to bed.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I plan to start another FF on Monday. I will be back then.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:12 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: SuzanneM
Stats: 155/127/125
WOE: LC
Oops I didn't start yesterday, my mistake was going to TJ's on an empty stomach and picking out too many delish low carb foods instead I stayed LCHF but not within the calorie counts. I've got some lamb steaks for today and will start the FF tomorrow.
SuzanneM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #19

Day 2 for me. But today will be a bit modified as hubby is making tuna steaks in mayo and seasonings. Will have only a small portion but lots of fat thru the day with a 1000 calorie goal.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:15 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

So far I think I did good on weekend.Yesterday had appetite suppression which helped with weekend cravings.
Weekend wasn't exactly fat fast,but I will start again tomorrow.If I can plant my foot firmly in 170s(a 178 or lower)that would give me some much needed motivation.

How do you use your boiullon cubes,I just mix it with water and gulp it down for the ketoflus.

Suzanne,good to see you again.Wow 10 pounds to goal,that is such an awesome achievement.

Stevie,I never knew there were a bunch of BPC recipes.I could think of only 2 or 3 ways to make it.

I am playing around the idea of making butter mints ,a recipe I saw on a website.It just uses butter and some sort of extract.The author claims it kills your cravings for snacks.
But u need a icing tip to make it,and I can;t figure where I kept mine.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:22 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I mix my bullion cubes with hot water and once they melt I whip in some cream and/or butter with my frother. It's my go-to FF lunch.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:52 AM   #22

Day 3. TOM showed so the scale isn't stellar but I can see some bloat leaving for date nights last week. Feeling good
Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[QUOTE]I am playing around the idea of making butter mints ,a recipe I saw on a website.It just uses butter and some sort of extract.The author claims it kills your cravings for snacks.
__________________[QUOTE]

Wow that sounds yummy! I LOVE butter mints. Now I am going to have to find that recipe online and try it.

I decided to do a meat fast instead of a FF. I have to fast all weekend coming up for a procedure and so I am having a bit of anxiety over it. I figure this weekend can be like my FF. So it's just meat, fat, and cheese for me today. I am starting to miss eggs.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

abuvia thats a great idea.I should try it maybe for dinner.

cfine hang in there,do whatever works for you.

Restarting Fat fast today.didn't do too bad for weekend,thats rare for me.

My head feels very cleared.Tummy has gone down too.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #25

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Quote:
I am playing around the idea of making butter mints ,a recipe I saw on a website.It just uses butter and some sort of extract.The author claims it kills your cravings for snacks.

I decided to do a meat fast instead of a FF. I have to fast all weekend coming up for a procedure and so I am having a bit of anxiety over it. I figure this weekend can be like my FF. So it's just meat, fat, and cheese for me today. I am starting to miss eggs.
I use a plain old sandwich bag and snip the tip. I just made 3 batches of clouds ( cream cheese and butter fat bombs) that way. I made some into round blobs holding the snipped bag a bit above the tray and just squeezing till it became size. I made logs by touching the tray, the lifting and squeezing while drawing a line. I also filled a mini bite baking tray and ended up with little squares.

My favorite fat bombs are the clouds 1 block of cream cheese, one stick of unsalted butter, 3/4 cup splenda or equivalent sweetener and flavoring). I usually flavor them

a) caramel with cocoa bark shell(4T coconut oil, 1.5T cocoa pwder, sweetener to taste about Tbs or so, depending on your taste)
b) Raspberry Pomegranate with lemon middle

but yesterday, i accidentally coated a lemon flavored log with cocoa bark and discovered that I like chocolate coated Lemon clouds, so I'm off to make another batch of lemon clouds and dip them in cocoa bark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 140929-143625.jpg (64.5 KB, 8 views)
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 09-29-2014 at 11:43 AM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Wow, metqa. Those sound wonderful!!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have never been a fan of cream cheese clouds. All I think of is that the butter combined with the mint extract and some sweetener MIGHT taste a lot like those creamy mints I used to eat. I can hope anyway!!
Old 09-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

cfine looks like we have a lot in common!!!me too do not like cream cheese clouds.
I once added cream cheese to my hWC smoothie,and I thought it spoiled the taste.

So far was doing fine,but afternoon getting those cravings....did not get around to making those buttermints

too busy today with lots of errands.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:01 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mint update:I let my butter sit on the counter to soften. I only tried a little butter for my mints because I can't stand to waste my Kerrygold butter. I did three tbsp. butter with the confectioner's style Swerve sweetener with some mint extract. Very tasty. My DD has the tips for cake decorating so I may try a bigger batch and make them properly now that I know I like them.

I have done fairly well today except I've eaten too much cheese. I am still going to only be at around 1300 calories so I guess it's ok. I made myself a pizza today. I haven't done that in a long time. The crust was cheese and one egg plus garlic and basil. My back is already hurting from 1/2 egg. I topped the pizza with the tiniest amount of pizza sauce(homemade no sugar) and added sweet italian turkey sausage. It was delicious. I am saving the other half for tomorrow, but I won't eat any cheese except for the pizza tomorrow. The meat fast makes me hungrier than a FF. I guess my body likes all of that fat.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #30

Day 3 modified. Slowly adding my 79 grams of protein. Feeling good