Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: S2KLVR
Coconut oil/belly ache

Is this a normal thing? Seems when I have a BPC after work I will get a bit of a belly ache, I know MCT oil has a rep for digestive issues, but coconut oil has MCT's in it so is it the same issue? I just ordered some MCT oil and was going to use it to make a BPC at work to bump up my fat's but don't want to get a belly ache there for sure. I don't really think I get one after my 2 I drink in the am, so I don't know what is going on. Would love some thoughts here. HAVE To figure out how to bump up my fats, I am still not going over .5 ketosis and I know the carbs aren't the reason so Im tweaking the fats first, then I"ll tweak protein if I have to........
S2KLVR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/240/150-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 8/19/2014
Hi. how long have you been lchf? how much fat intake do you have? could it be a case of too much too fast? When you say bellyache...is it nausea, cramping? Do you ultimately end up on the loo??

I ask that last one specifically because ironically enough i came across an article about such things concerning...*ahem*...elimination.

here is a snip that is interesting...and I'm sorry in advance if i offend anyone by it.

• Multiple, urgent poos first thing in the morning: There's a normal, hormonally-induced phenomenon called the gastro-colic reflex that takes place soon after waking and throughout the day in response to eating. It's a contraction of the digestive system's muscles designed to keep food moving along to make room for whatever's coming down the pike. The three strongest triggers of this reflex are waking up, drinking coffee, and eating. (Note that it's not the caffeine in coffee, but rather a compound called cholinergic acid. Caffeinated tea should not have the same effect, but decaf coffee will.) So if you tend to guzzle two cups of Joe and down your breakfast within an hour of waking, don't be surprised if you're rushing to the toilet in the middle of it all. Spacing out the timing of these three stimuli over the course of your morning—or saving your coffee for later in the day—may help keep things running a little more smoothly.

My daughter sometimes has what she calls 'butter tea'. similar to BPC, but with tea instead.

Any issues with dairy intolerances?

I use MCT oil and coconut oil. I don't have a gallbladder, so sometimes I have issues (hence the research...lol....i'm not just weird). I just got some digestive enzymes that I'm hoping will help in my case.

I hope you feel better.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:34 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Coconut oil has a reputation for causing gastric distress when first introduced into the diet. I would back off and maybe just try 1 teaspoon to start with and work up from there. Any time I slack off from my CO, I always start slowly when re-introducing back into my diet. Some people just can't handle CO at all.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:50 AM   #4
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Many people find they need to very slowly add coconut oil to their diets or they have problems.

I never had any problems with it (or MCT oil). Many years ago, when I started using coconut oil, I started with 6 tablespoons per day. I am glad I had not heard of the possibility of having problems. lol...

To increase fats just cook with extra oil or butter, add more to veggies, etc. a little her & there. No need to drown in it. You'll find what works best for you.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:30 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jblanken
Stats: 248/184.7/120 5'6.5"
WOE: Atkins,LC,IF,EFGT
Start Date: 2006-LC,restart 9/2014
I sometimes get nauseous a little while after using coconut oil. I have then taken a little salt(pinch) or chew some SF gum. Either works for me...!!
Doing a fat fast today so during the day I drink lots(decaf coffee, SF Sprite, decaf tea) and when hungry I have some coconut oil. At night I get my protein in... I find this is particularly easy for me when I am under stress - not having to think about what to prepare (only one meal a day at night). I lost a pound yesterday.

Have a great day!!
jblanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Been lchf a bit over 8 wks, the only additional fat I have really is my 3 c of BPC thru the day, of course I get some from the meat I eat and cheese, but I cant say I now for sure how much I have. I quit doing the app I used for that for various reasons. The only thing I really hate about doing this is having to keep track of what we eat, Im not a techie and plugging in all that stuff is beyond my ability to care but I know it is important so I am going to try harder. My ache is just an ache usually, doesn't usually lead to the loo, altho things are really "loose" since starting this woe ( too much info for some people I know!) But its all part of the learning process, talking about such things. . Last night it got so bad while in bed I had to get up and take a charcoal pill to get some relief. Maybe I'll back off and start over in small doses. Thank everyone.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/240/150-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 8/19/2014
I hope you feel better
nill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Update

I had a BPC after work like always but this time I used only 1/2 tbls of CO and I did NOT get a belly ache! NICE. I use a whole tbls in them in the morning, 2 of them, and don't get one so I don't know what is up with that. Hmmmm weird.