Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bkm
Stats: 200/140/130
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 08/12/2014
Overheating - need ideas

Once again, I ate what was on my plate rather than stopping when full ...and now I'm so stuffed I feel sick.

I typically try to limit what I serve myself, but I keep failing - putting zucchini noodles back doesn't work well, my avocado tree dropped 3 ripe avocados today, I needed to either cut up a cucumber today or throw it away tomorrow ... I see the pattern here, I 'convince' myself to not waste food - and then I feel stuffed and miserable.

So how did any of you work through this? I only eat one full meal a day, and it's getting smaller and smaller ... I have an afternoon snack of BPC and a couple of peanut butter cookies (from WB) - I need to somehow STOP EATING when I've reached my satiety (sp?) point - but how?

Ideas? Hints how you all managed this?

Thanks.

I've been low-carbing since 01/01/1994 (weighed >200#) - reached my goal weight in 1995 (125#) - maintained with a few blips (gaining up to 160#) along the way - lost weight on HCG but hated the no-fat! - now up about 10 pounds and looking for a solution!
bkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Overeating, not overheating - auto-correct and I are not on friendly terms!
Old 08-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/126, 30.25"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Right now I weigh my portions... Blah. A drag, but it works. I don't eat it if it's not on my plate.

I'm hoping not to weigh my food in maintenance, though. So, I'll watch this thread for tips, too.
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
I also have to weigh and/or measure everything. And it's hard to remember to add radish and cucumber snacks to my food diary, but most of the time I do. If we have too much food at our home, I usually give it away to our neighbors. That seems to be a blessing on both ends.

You avocado tree dropped 3 fruits?!? Major avocado envy here.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
My youngest had that problem. This kid could eat like a linebacker. No joke. She never knew when she was full. My naturopath put her on a standard process supplement called hypothalamax (sp?). It's been interesting to watch. She'd be eating, and I'm talking three quarter pound hamburgers with cheese and bacon and fries (no bun, thank goodness) and then realize, I can't eat all this. In her words, "this is weird".

But, other than weighing your food or like Leo, using calories to control your intake, I got nothin'.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy girl View Post
You avocado tree dropped 3 fruits?!? Major avocado envy here.
Haven't checked today yet - I'm sure the raccoons ate a few - I love having a fresh, backyard source, just wish I could save a bunch for when they're off-season.

And my grapefruit tree is full of close-to-ripe fruit - this one will be tough, not eating them.

Last edited by bkm; 08-31-2014 at 11:43 AM..
Old 08-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 130, 125
WOE: NK, HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm View Post
I only eat one full meal a day, and it's getting smaller and smaller ...- I need to somehow STOP EATING when I've reached my satiety (sp?) point - but how?

Ideas? Hints how you all managed this?

Thanks.
If I only allowed myself one full meal a day and it were getting smaller and smaller, I'd probably overeat due to the extreme and increasing restriction as well as anxiety related to this. It's natural for all animals to overcompensate when there is food scarcity on the horizon. We need to know food is plentiful and available to be able to eat calmly and moderately. There may be anxiety already due to the recent loss of your old foods and eating habits (even hobbies like cooking and baking) and this might be increasing it. Overeating may be a way to combat this anxiety and restriction. Your way of saying, I will rebel against starving myself!

I'm just throwing ideas out there - I really have no idea if any of this remotely applies. I do know how awful overeating can be to the heart and the body, so just wanted to throw two cents in, in case it might be helpful.

It can be hard to stop overeating unless you can look at and address what's causing it. Perhaps spend some time on this?

Sending hugs and hopes you get back on track soon. Let us know how you go xx
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #8
bkm
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the thoughts/ideas.

I have been low-carbing for around 20 years, rarely eating otherwise (exceptions are cruises, vacations, and the occasional trip to Tampa) - this way of eating is pretty much second nature to me.

I stopped all grains in January (after reading Wheat Belly and Grain Brain); then read Keto-Clarity and Coconut-Ketogenic Diet recently and embraced the ketogenic WOE. At my age (70) there is the specter of dementia/Alzheimer's - definitely do not want those!

At present, I have pretty much lost my hunger - but my husband likes to eat - and therein lies my problem...

Tonight I made chicken breasts stuffed with cheese, ham, and butter; rolled in coconut flour/Parmesan cheese, then baked with even more coconut oil. How do you weigh portions of foods like this - I just figure if I'm in heavy ketosis I'm okay? But tonight, rather than putting a chicken breast on my plate, I sliced a portion and ate one slice at a time, stopping after each and seeing if I was still hungry. Maybe I can make eating like this a habit.

I would love to lose 5-10 pounds, but I'll continue eating this way because of the health benefits.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/126, 30.25"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
When I make a recipe like that I use my tracker app to calculate the nutrients/calories of the whole dish, weigh all the servings together when they come out of the oven, then divide the total weight by the number of servings and weigh out my portion. Like I said before, it's a drag.

That meal sounds delicious, BTW.
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm View Post
Overeating, not overheating - auto-correct and I are not on friendly terms!
Maybe you could put half of the food on your plate. Then after eating it, evaluate how you feel. If you feel comfortable, quit eating telling yourself that you can eat again if you get hungry later. We all play mind games with ourselves anyway.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CoffeeOnMyMind
Stats: 169/165/129
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: August 30, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Maybe you could put half of the food on your plate. Then after eating it, evaluate how you feel. If you feel comfortable, quit eating telling yourself that you can eat again if you get hungry later. We all play mind games with ourselves anyway.
Carolyn
I just read this advice and the proverbial light bulb went on over my head! I have been struggling with overeating myself lately and have been wondering how to cut back on the volume of my food. This advice is so simple, yet this is exactly what i need to do! Thank you, Lovetoknit!!!
CoffeeOnMyMind is offline   Reply With Quote