Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2014, 03:47 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
Save me from Cheese

It's pretty simple. I can't eat cheese and lose weight. When I do eat cheese, I immediately want to eat more-not just cheese, but everything in the house. It's pretty obvious that cheese is raising my insulin, probably my blood sugar as well (I don't have the glucometer yet.)

I know this.

So what do I do two days ago? I buy eight ounces of cheese, of course. long story short, I was down to about 182, I'm now up to 184, and I ate blue diamond nuts with maltodextrin and "corn protein" in them.

My roommate foisted the nuts off on me a few days ago bc he wanted to get rid of them-he knew I ate healthy food. corn protein. And I ate all of the cheese, too.

Cows are evil.....well, except beef cows. Those are pretty awesome.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2014, 06:19 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I seriously doubt it has to do with raising your insulin or blood sugar... you would have to eat a LOT for that to happen. we can have addictive behaviors around certain foods for other reasons too though. you are wise to know what you can't handle!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/126, 30.25"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Good luck finding what works for you!

I'd try not to stress too much about the 2lbs as that's well within the range of normal water fluctuation.

I've not heard of cheese spiking blood sugar in the past, but know that many people are diary-sensitive. If cheese is a food sensitivity for you it could cause inflammation and a general unwell feeling.

As far as the story of the nuts, it sounds like you ate them just because they were there? Try focusing on getting more solidly into ketosis as that should help to eliminate cravings and stop you from grazing or eating mindlessly. That was my experience at least... Hope that helps!
abuvia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have heard a lot of people comment that they have portion control issues with cheese. You are not alone in that. Same for nuts.

Even if you ate your weight in cheese, you are unlikely to have gained 2 lbs. of fat in 2 days.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
The cheese drives me nuts also (didn't mean a nuts and cheese pun). Here's how I'm handling the problem. Every bite I eat is documented in a food diary program. If I have enough protein left, I weigh either one or two ounces to sit down and eat slowly. A tip someone else gave me was to dip the cheese in a bit of butter. That doesn't ruin the taste of the cheese, but does add more healthy fat that will make you feel satiated with a smaller amount of cheese.

The most helpful part of my plan is keeping an eye on the amount of protein. Too much protein, as you know, will stall a loss. And that's the issue with the cheese, it's not the carbage. Doctor Atkins, in one of his books, recommended no more than 4 ounces daily due to the protein issue. There are days I eat more than 4 ounces, but my protein intake is cut somewhere else to make up for it.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

This is all true-esp about the protein. I ate about three oz each day-not that much, but it does have an effect on me. It mainly worries me bc it seems like it triggers me to eat other things-like those toxic nuts (shudder). Oh well, they're in the garbage now. I'm not taking any more chances.....
Old 08-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I finally figured out that I have a sensitivity to dairy & it is harder to cut it completely than sugar or grains could ever hope to be. That one bite of cheese that triggers the feeling that I must eat every bite & then get more is a red flag. It is not a lack of self control.

I still break down and buy it occasionally. It is an ongoing battle. I have not bought any since the end of July but I have had some cheddar cheese at my mom's a couple days. I need to completely eliminate it once and for all.

Nuts are about the same for me.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Deb, the cheese is so hard to give up even though I no longer consider eating starches and sweets. But, I've spent all my life eating cheese in casseroles, on Mexican food, in Frito pie, in alfredo sauce and on and on. I literally have about 6 or 7 breeds of the stuff in my fridge right now. Maybe the sensitivity is actually a good thing in disguise.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy girl View Post
The most helpful part of my plan is keeping an eye on the amount of protein. Too much protein, as you know, will stall a loss. And that's the issue with the cheese, it's not the carbage. Doctor Atkins, in one of his books, recommended no more than 4 ounces daily due to the protein issue. There are days I eat more than 4 ounces, but my protein intake is cut somewhere else to make up for it.
I don't recall reading this in any of my Atkins books. I always thought the 4 ounce limit on cheese was related to the carbs it contains, not the protein. With all the meat on the ok list, hard for me to think of Atkins limiting cheese because of the protein. Of course, I might well have missed this . . . .
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/126, 30.25"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
That is the major point where NK &Atkins differ. Our plan is LC/moderate protein/high fat.
abuvia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:06 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I don't recall reading this in any of my Atkins books. I always thought the 4 ounce limit on cheese was related to the carbs it contains, not the protein. With all the meat on the ok list, hard for me to think of Atkins limiting cheese because of the protein. Of course, I might well have missed this . . . .
I could have misunderstood as it's been a long time since I read the book. When I read his original book, I thought it was about unlimited protein, but am not sure, now, that's what he intended.

You're right. I looked it up. It was about the carbs.

Last edited by lazy girl; 08-30-2014 at 08:10 PM..
Old 08-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I finally figured out that I have a sensitivity to dairy & it is harder to cut it completely than sugar or grains could ever hope to be. That one bite of cheese that triggers the feeling that I must eat every bite & then get more is a red flag. It is not a lack of self control.

I still break down and buy it occasionally. It is an ongoing battle. I have not bought any since the end of July but I have had some cheddar cheese at my mom's a couple days. I need to completely eliminate it once and for all.

Nuts are about the same for me.

Yeah-I'm in the same boat, I think. I will eventually just give dairy up completely-I don't know about nuts, in the form of nut butters: I'm planing to maintain (If I get there in this lifetime) with fat bombs....and for some reason, I have less portion control issues with nut butters as opposed to loose nuts. Go figure.

The cheese has got to go, though....
Old 08-31-2014, 07:08 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I don't think an answer was provided or if it was, it might have been because of the calorie density of cheese. At least, that is what I hear most often on the forum.

Personally, I think cheese has unique properties that make it much like nuts in that both are salty and fat dense. Those 2 things make it more likely to over eat just because they are both delicious. Take away the salt and I think it would be much less likely to over eat them. Can you imagine cheese without salt??
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:30 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cristress
Stats: 123.6/121.6/110.
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dec.2013
The more ingredients in a recipe, the slower my weight loss. I have no idea why, but if I eat just meat and salad and keep it simple I lose a lot of pounds. When I get into making casseroles or some of the creamy soups I stall.
cristress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:45 AM   #15
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristress View Post
The more ingredients in a recipe, the slower my weight loss. I have no idea why, but if I eat just meat and salad and keep it simple I lose a lot of pounds. When I get into making casseroles or some of the creamy soups I stall.
I was just reading similar comments in a thread on the Maintain Lane forum last night! It was interesting. The majority agreed that keeping food simple worked a lot better for maintaining than fancy recipes. Basic meat, veggies, & salads got the vote for "safe" meals. I'm a lazy cook so that is how I cook now. Made me feel good about my simple food choices.

I avoid casserole-type dishes & recipes with rich sauces and cheese because I always want to over-eat them. I thought it was just me but it seems to be common.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:01 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Russell1974
Stats: 5'8" - 361/264.6/161
WOE: high fat/low carb
Start Date: 5/1/2009
Not sure if you are diabetic, but I am, and it is NOT true that you need to eat a lot to spike blood sugar. I can eat 2-3 M&M's and go over 200 mg/dl.

As far as cheese, it has lactose ( sugar ). I have to limit myself to 2 ozs. twice a week, but this is just a tease, so I rarely eat cheese. Same is true with fruit ( fructose ).

As far as nuts, I only eat macadamia nuts ( high fat ), and rarely.

You now know that you have issues, and the best solution is to not eat these foods. When you are offered nuts, just say " No thank you ". You did not have to accept them. Your friend would not be upset, if you simply explained you could not have them.

No one can stop you from eating these foods, or come up with a solution to this issue. You need to do this for yourself. Don't buy cheese, don't eat nuts with " corn protein ", or accept food from friends. That sounds over the top, but we have a list of foods, and tend to know if they are okay. Gifts from friends, we tend to just eat, without reading the label, so that is why I suggest not accepting food gifts from friends. Make it known that you do not want to be offered food, and you won't have this problem.

Good Luck!

weight on 9/1 - 280.2

current weight: 264.6
Russell1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:34 AM   #17
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
I finally figured out that I have a sensitivity to dairy & it is harder to cut it completely than sugar or grains could ever hope to be.
This is me too. Dairy has been harder to give up than gluten and grains.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chandi
Stats: 154/104/98
WOE: Atkins KISS/Primal
Start Date: April 2013
I have the same problem with natural peanut butter. A couple of times I actually took the jar, stirred it, and ate the entire thing in one sitting! This is why peanut butter was banned from my house for 6 months while I gained control over the craving. I still only eat it once in a blue moon but I'm strong enough to resist it now that my boyfriend likes to eat it. Out of sight, out of mind, don't keep cheese in the house, at least not for you. I do notice that cheese makes me want to eat a lot more. I switched to eating 1 oz of extra sharp cheddar cheese and the more intense flavor seems to satisfy me more. I've also had to resort to buying raw nuts and seeds and roasting them myself, store bought ones just add so much unnecessary garbage. Even plain old "salt" on the ingredients likely contains dextrose.
Chandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Oh goodness, there is no peanut butter in our house and probably never will be. DH had a jar, and I had a jar. It was ridiculous.

Just realized that I forgot to eat cheese today. that's minor miracle!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:08 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I can identify - I don't pay attention to how much cheddar I'm eating I will eat the whole thing - and be sick! I've been a cheeseaholic since I was a tiny kid. What I've learned over the years is to always portion out my servings. When I buy an 8 oz. block of cheese I bring it home and cut it into 1 oz. portions. Same thing for macadamia nuts (those make for an expensive binge). Cheese sticks are easier, because they're pre-measured and it takes effort to open those packages - hard to eat mindlessly with them.

I've also learned to use cheese as a flavoring agent in other foods - for example, 1/4 cup of cheddar in an omelette won't prompt me to eat more, and it adds a lot of great flavor. If you plan ahead, you can enjoy your cheese without going overboard.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:54 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

It's so nice to know I'm not alone. Yeah, peanut butter-even before I stopped eating legumes-was banned, not from the apartment, but from my shelf in the pantry.

Thanks for the advice Russ-and that's what I've heard too, that the lactose can cause blood sugar spikes in some. I think that's what's going on with me, bc when I eat cheese it's like I've eaten carbs.

I'm not diabetic-my roommate is though. And he lives off of carbs-he eats hot dogs, burgers, pizza, or frozen burritos every night, just about. He knows to eat low carb-he's the one who introduced me to it, back in 2003. It's sad-he'll go low carb for two days, throw the buns away, claim he feels so much better, and then he'll buy more buns. And frozen burritos.

I can't judge-it took a few tries for this to stick with me as a permanent lifestyle. And I still have issues with a few things, like the cheese. It's just so weird-i don't touch the buns, canned chili, or pizza he brings in. I think I need to pay more attention to the things that are "almost" okay to eat, maybe more than I do the other stuff.

and, by the way, he would have been insulted if I didn't take the nuts-he's always trying get me to "loosen up". Not eat carbs all the time, but to craft a plan that is "livable". He thinks I'm too extreme. He thinks that if you restrict too much, you'll end up binging-I don't know how to convince him that it's almost the exact opposite. If you never eat the foods that cause you problems, there is no urge to binge...sigh. Now I've gone all into my living situation.

Anyway, you're right-and I know it. I can't eat nuts or cheese, and I should have thrown the nuts away as soon as he slid them over to my shelf.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Chandi
Stats: 154/104/98
WOE: Atkins KISS/Primal
Start Date: April 2013
I see what you mean. I think your roommate needs to respect the fact that you choose to eat and live a certain way. It's unfair to purposely tempt someone with something that is forbidden to them, like offering someone who's trying to quit a cigarette. Sounds like he's always seeing it his way and not yours. I went through that with my boyfriend for the first year on the diet. He was always bringing stuff home for me to eat (he's a chef) he would even bring spices that listed no ingredients and I wouldn't dare touch them, it aggravated him but I didn't give a damn what he thought, it was all about me and my way of life. Needless to say he got over it and accepts it now. If your roommate feels insulted, that's his problem not yours, it's not worth messing up your progress.
Chandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Quote:

What Deb said.
RyeBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:12 PM   #24

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I don't think an answer was provided or if it was, it might have been because of the calorie density of cheese. At least, that is what I hear most often on the forum.

Personally, I think cheese has unique properties that make it much like nuts in that both are salty and fat dense. Those 2 things make it more likely to over eat just because they are both delicious. Take away the salt and I think it would be much less likely to over eat them. Can you imagine cheese without salt??
It, along with the cream limit, had to do with the fact that many people have "issues" with dairy. I do remember reading that in the Atkins book (I'll try to find the chapter number). Notice butter is not limited, nor is oil, nor is animal fat... I don't think it has anything to do with calories (as far as Dr. A was concerned).
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #25

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I know what you mean, Jackie. I too have low carb "trigger" foods that others don't seem to have a problem with. Fortunately, cheese is not one of them for me. But, certain "nuts" (which are actually legumes) such as peanuts and cashews are triggers for me. I can't have one ounce and be done. But, I totally can with pistachios, pecans, and other "true" nuts. OTOH, many others have issues with root veggies, but I find that aroun 5 net carbs or so of carrot is perfectly ok for me and doesn't cause cravings for more. It's so interesting and certainly individual!

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

A few times, I've seen the phrase "issues with dairy" being used with this thread. Is that a reference to lactose sensitivity or to its ability to hinder weight loss?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:48 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy girl View Post
A few times, I've seen the phrase "issues with dairy" being used with this thread. Is that a reference to lactose sensitivity or to its ability to hinder weight loss?
Hindering weight loss, mostly because it seems to trigger overeating for some people. I don't have that problem with dairy (thank God...what would I eat?!?) but I do have it with peanuts and cashews.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:48 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Merry. Well, the cheese can certainly be a tripping wire for me.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #29
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I have an intolerance to dairy protein. It causes inflammation, which I really notice when I exercise as asthma-like symptoms. It seemed to develop suddenly a couple of years ago.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I can moderate cheese but can't imagine having nuts in the house without eating them. The salt is part of it but I'll up the unsalted ones without issue if that's my only choice. Maybe I'll get there one day, but I suspect I'll always be tempted to scarf down too many.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote