Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2014, 06:04 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jackie123
Stats: 242/181/135
WOE: NK Paleo
Start Date: September 2012
Should I count Erythritol?

So I could have just left the body blank and just posted the title. It's pushing my carb counts up, but honestly I don't think it effects me at all. All other sugar alcohols do, at least to some extent, and I don't eat them-but plain stevia is just really bitter to me.
Jackie123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
How often do you eat this?

If it's only a little and your ketosis isn't affected by erythritol, I would say don't worry about it.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I average 4 packets of truvia a day-I've sometimes eaten as much as seven. With them, carb counts range from 30 to 40-without counting them, 10 to 20. I've never noticed them effecting ketosis-but I can't afford keto strips, the only measures I can go by are energy levels and skunk breath.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Hmmm... Maybe it's a good idea to start halving your truvia consumption? Just to help you reduce your sweet cravings?

I've stopped eating any kind of sweetener on a daily basis, and only use stevia maybe once a week. I don't feel the need for sweet tastes anymore, and I'm saving my carbs for nice veggies instead.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think you should count it because it is one of those YMMV. It is wise to count it all in my opinion. It is a piece of information that may help you in determining what helps you achieve your goals or not.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks-yeah, I think you guys are right-I don't know if it actually affects anything, but even if it doesn't, counting them makes sure that my carbs are low.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 130, 125
WOE: Keto-paleo/HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
I've recently taken Truvia out of my diet in favour of non-gmo erythritol sweeteners. The Truvia caused severe craving whereas other erythritol sweeteners did not. I'm glad that it hasn't affected you - it affected me severely in comparison to other sweeteners like Swerve. I started piling on weight when my diet remained the same.

I looked into it and found "natural flavors" on the list of ingredients in Truvia (be careful, the new Truvia baking formulation also includes sugar on the ingredients list). Upon further investigation, I found that the FDA allows all sorts of free glutamic acid products (MSG) as natural flavors. Given that Truvia is made by Coca Cola, I am not surprised. They are in the business of making food addictive! MSG triples insulin production, causing binge eating as well as blows out your brain cells. I'm pretty sure this is why Truvia affected me so badly.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience in case it might be helpful to someone. I have a very sensitive system so I tend to react more than the average bear....
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon41 View Post
I've recently taken Truvia out of my diet in favour of non-gmo erythritol sweeteners. The Truvia caused severe craving whereas other erythritol sweeteners did not. I'm glad that it hasn't affected you - it affected me severely in comparison to other sweeteners like Swerve. I started piling on weight when my diet remained the same.

I looked into it and found "natural flavors" on the list of ingredients in Truvia (be careful, the new Truvia baking formulation also includes sugar on the ingredients list). Upon further investigation, I found that the FDA allows all sorts of free glutamic acid products (MSG) as natural flavors. Given that Truvia is made by Coca Cola, I am not surprised. They are in the business of making food addictive! MSG triples insulin production, causing binge eating as well as blows out your brain cells. I'm pretty sure this is why Truvia affected me so badly.

Anyhow, just wanted to share my experience in case it might be helpful to someone. I have a very sensitive system so I tend to react more than the average bear....
Thanks-I had no idea it was made by coca cola! I may quit buying it just for that reason...I want to find some liquid sweeteners instead, but I try to stay away from splenda, stevia by itself is bitter to me, and I don't trust the nutrition information for monk's fruit...I'll just have to keep looking.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:47 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie123 View Post
Thanks-I had no idea it was made by coca cola! I may quit buying it just for that reason...I want to find some liquid sweeteners instead, but I try to stay away from splenda, stevia by itself is bitter to me, and I don't trust the nutrition information for monk's fruit...I'll just have to keep looking.
Everyone is so different when it comes to sweeteners, but I'm like you - I don't like stevia on its own either. I really like Swerve (the powdered sugar version is best as it dissolves so much easier), Just Like Sugar (chicory root), and New Roots Stevia Sugar (fructooligosaccharides and stevia). Just started experimenting with monk fruit, can I ask what it is that is concerning about nutritional info about monk fruit? Maybe I should have looked into it more carefully....
Old 08-14-2014, 05:59 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am a fan of liquid sucralose because it doesn't have any bulking agents. The most commonly used bulking agents in artificial sweeteners are rife with problems and I avoid them as much as possible. So when people say that artificial sweeteners raise their blood sugars, it is likely going to be the bulking agents they are reacting to. Here is a little explanation of a couple commonly used ones...

Quote:
What's Maltodextrin?
You might find the ingredient maltodextrin on the labels of cereal bars, granola, chips and other snack foods. It's a simple starch that's easily digested and acts as a filler or texture enhancer. Manufacturers usually create it from corn, rice or potato starch and add enzymes to break it down until it forms a white powder. In countries other than the United States and Canada, wheat or barley starch may be used to create maltodextrin.
About Dextrose
Dextrose is the simple sugar that gives fruit and honey a sweet taste. It's a primary ingredient in corn syrup and is often added to processed baked goods as well as cake mixes, frostings, sweet and savory snack foods, and custard and sherbet desserts. Manufacturers also use it as a filler in artificial sweeteners. Dextrose browns well, so it improves the appearance of baked goods' crusts. It's usually derived from cornstarch. You may see it as "dextrose anhydrous” or “anhydrous dextrose” on a food label.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/120, 30"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Quote:

That's interesting about Truvia! I never used it because someone on this form warned me away from it early on. Never knew the reason, though.

So, BonBon, has getting rid of the Truvia improved whatever symptoms had your doctor thinking auto-immune disease? Or, is that still a concern?
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Yes, very interesting! But also scary to know what is likely to be lurking in natural flavors - they are in almost every processed food! Both NuNaturals and Sweet Leaf have natural flavors in their list of ingredients too. When asked if they contain MSG, they either say no (technically they are allowed to say no if the natural flavoring ingredient contains free glutamic acid but is not called MSG - there are about 40 ingredients in this category- or they say it's a "trade secret"! Argh I feel like I am starting to know too much - where can this end? Me wearing a potato sack and living off the land?! (Actually that sounds quite nice...) Yesterday I was literally standing in the health food store reading labels with a magnifying glass because my eyes are going from all the label reading! That said, I am still loving to learn to make all my own foods from scratch.

Unfortunately this does not change the autoimmune thing, but thanks for asking Abuvia! My baking has sure become experimental without the eggs and dairy - even more expensive baking fiascos now

Last edited by Bonbon41; 08-14-2014 at 04:09 PM..
Old 08-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Aw, sorry.

Just checked! My Z Sweet has "natural flavors," too. :/ My Monin SF syrups also have it EXCEPT for their simple syrup (which is just called "Sweetener.")

I guess I'll console myself with the thought that I'm probably eating a lot fewer of these dangerous things than I used to on the SAD...

Let us know if you find a sweetener without this pesky ingredient, please.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just started experimenting with monk fruit, can I ask what it is that is concerning about nutritional info about monk fruit? Maybe I should have looked into it more carefully....
Honestly? nothing but my own paranoia-I know on the internet there is a list of sweeteners and how they effected blood sugar-I'll have to find it. I don't know if Monk's fruit is on it-I just didn't trust it bc I know the fruit they make it out of is bitter, so I don't know what they do to it to make it sweet-but again it could be perfectly legit.

I need to research liquid sucralose Clackey-it would be easy to get, I was just-well-paranoid bc it is made from sugar, and Stevia seemed so natural lol.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Yes, so good to remember we are still doing much better with this WOE... And there's so much in the environment and body products that are toxic - we just can't escape it entirely! Just do our best without getting fanatical.

Sweetener-wise I've been enjoying Just Like Sugar and new roots Stevia sugar, neither of which have natural flavors. I've just a started experimenting with monk fruit, stevia glycerite, Yacon syrup and Tagatose (can't wait to try Tagatose caramel). I really like that Just like sugar ingredients list states "natural flavor from orange peel".

Hope you are doing well Abuvia - with less bloating and more motivation! Hopefully our ketonix can help keep us on track! (Ps: I couldn't pick mine up today and it's killllling meeee.....)
Old 08-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

BonBon, just dug a bit deeper into the pantry...

Xyla does NOT have "natural flavors on the label, though it has a GI of 13 (I think) and 4 carbs/tsp.

Lakanto (which I bought before I knew LCers are skeptical of monk fruit... Haven't yet tried it) claims only "Erythritol, Monk fruit" on the label.

Just like sugar does claim "natural flavors," but specifies from the peel of an orange.

My Da Vinci SF syrups also have "natural flavors," just like the monin.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Ha! Guess we posted at the same time!

Glad you found some options.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Honestly? nothing but my own paranoia-I know on the internet there is a list of sweeteners and how they effected blood sugar-I'll have to find it. I don't know if Monk's fruit is on it-I just didn't trust it bc I know the fruit they make it out of is bitter, so I don't know what they do to it to make it sweet-but again it could be perfectly legit.

I need to research liquid sucralose Clackey-it would be easy to get, I was just-well-paranoid bc it is made from sugar, and Stevia seemed so natural lol.
Thanks for letting me know Jackie. Monkfruit is now on my ever-growing 'to research" list!

My husband is a pretty good researcher and I had him research whether sucralose (pure form, no fillers) had an impact on blood sugar levels/insulin. He looked at the available studies and frustratingly some said there was no impact but others said that there was. Enough said that there was for me to use sucralose more sparingly. It could be the kind of thing where it affects some people but not others. Anyway, do let me us know if you find anything interesting in your research on sucralose.

Last edited by Bonbon41; 08-14-2014 at 05:53 PM..
Old 08-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuvia View Post
BonBon, just dug a bit deeper into the pantry...

Xyla does NOT have "natural flavors on the label, though it has a GI of 13 (I think) and 4 carbs/tsp.

Lakanto (which I bought before I knew LCers are skeptical of monk fruit... Haven't yet tried it) claims only "Erythritol, Monk fruit" on the label.

Just like sugar does claim "natural flavors," but specifies from the peel of an orange.

My Da Vinci SF syrups also have "natural flavors," just like the monin.
Thanks for rummaging and sharing! Will let you know what I find on monkfruit...let's all keep in touch with the safety and sweeteners info I'll never give up my sweet treats, never!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:19 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

So it looks like I was wrong about monk's fruit. It is a gourd, not a fruit. It is 200 to 500 times sweeter than sugar. The interesting thing is that it's made sweet by an antioxidant, not fructose. I'm sold-I'm going to switch to liquid stevia mixed with liquid monks fruit. Then my sweeteners will truly be carb free! I'd stay away from Nectresse, though-it's got erythritol, but also sugar and some other syrup-and most powdered monks fruit contains inulin. Some ppl might be sensitive to that.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #21

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Just saw this and thought I'd chime in to say that I experimented and was happy to discover that erythitol does not affect my ketosis or blood sugar. I was pleasantly surprised because I was skeptical. Other sugar alcohols do. I love my monin in my coffee
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:36 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
I don't know if Monk's fruit is on it-I just didn't trust it bc I know the fruit they make it out of is bitter, so I don't know what they do to it to make it sweet-but again it could be perfectly legit.
Monk fruit is like stevia - in small doses, we perceive it as sweet, and in large doses we perceive it as bitter. Both have safely been used for hundreds of years as a substitute for sugar, and neither causes a blood-sugar spike.

Thanks to Bonbon for sharing the info. about MSG - I hadn't come across its blood-sugar impact before, but that explains a lot. There are several trigger foods on my list that contain MSG, and now I know why they're causing me problems. It's getting so I can't eat anything I don't cook from scratch - fine in my daily life, but a serious difficulty whenever I travel.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote