Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
Antibiotic stall?

I have been eating really clean for the past 5 weeks. My macros have been good, I drink lots of water, started back at school with higher activity level- but I haven't lost anything. Not even a smidge.

The only thing out of the ordinary is that I was taking an antibiotic for 3 weeks for a gum infection. Stopped that and one week later had to start another for a tooth infection. Heading towards a root canal I think. Can antibiotics cause a stall? I have another few days on this one and then I see an endodontist who hopefully won't put me on another.
frteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
In my experience they do.

I recently was on some nasty pills and for the time I was on then and then a week after, there was no weight loss. My weight loss always happens at a set time in my cycle and it was right over that time. I did get an unexpected whoosh later, though.

Was it the antibiotic or just being sick? I'm not sure. I do think it's true that when you're sick the body has more important things to be doing than emptying fat cells. On the other hand, I do think drugs can influence things.

Give your body a free pass for the time being. Not treating and infection isn't an option.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/120, 30"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
I'm reading "Keto Clarity" right now and in the troubleshooting chapter, jimmy writes:
"Medications can tax the liver and slow the creation of ketones."

So, the antibiotics may very well be behind your recent frustrations. Sorry! Feel better soon!!
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
The trouble with antibiotics is they effect all the bacteria in the body, including those in the bowels. If this seems unrelated or unimportant, do a search on fecal transplant to get a smidge of just how important gut health is to weight.

So while we all may have to take an antibiotic at some points in life, it is good to try and re establish our gut biome with some pre and probiotics and even better with foods that have a naturally high bacterial profile like sauerkraut, yogurt etc.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:48 PM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I avoid antibiotics whenever possible but I had to take them for a month a couple years ago. It was all I could do to maintain while taking them. Once they were out of my system I started losing again.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/198/190@ 5'7" (-227)
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
THANK YOU for posting this! I thought my body was just weird when I would gain weight from antibiotics!!

Last edited by Dirty Harriet; 08-11-2014 at 03:53 PM..
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Yes, I know they stall me.

I think Cathy's suggestion is a good one: get some probiotics in you, and maybe add some fermented foods like saurkraut and ACV and kimchi for example. These will all help create a better bacterial climate in your gut which will in turn support your immune system, repopulate your gut with beneficial bacteria and aid your digestion as well.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I'll be on antibiotics for 10 days post-surgery. Not looking forward to it but I plan to at least pick up some probiotics to take. I always make a point of doing that. It annoys me that most doctors do not tell people to take probiotics when they Rx antibiotics.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Took the last pill this am so hopefully things will improve soon.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thought I would post a quick update. A few days after stopping the antibiotic I did have a whoosh of two pounds. It does seem like that will stall me. Hopefully I won't need another for some time, although I had the first half of a root canal on one tooth and need to finish that and then have another root canal on the tooth next door. Yikes!
Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/120, 30"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Yay for your whoosh; sorry about the root canal! Hopefully that will take care of things for a long while.

Seems we learn something new all the time about out bodies on this WOE...
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote