Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
What do you think...

Tim Noakes is quoted as saying the following....

Quote:
If you have to exercise to regulate your weight, you diet is wrong.
If you don't know who Tim Noakes is, here is a wiki link....

Tim Noakes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, do you agree or disagree and why?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 134, 125
WOE: NK, HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
Interesting post Cathy! Gets the cogs a turning...

Hmm on first ponder, I agree with him. I like to think a healthy and satisfying diet can and should provide stabilization at a healthy weight, without having to either starve oneself or exercise to maintain it...I think a lot of people fall into the trap of thinking I'll have the extra treats because I can work it off - then fall into being forced to either limit food intake or exercise to moderate as we usually overestimate the calorie burning benefits of exercise.

Exercise is a wonderful thing - makes the body and mind healthy and happy but if we 'need' it to maintain a healthy weight, that sets us up for failure. People get sick, the weather changes, we go on holiday or take a second job and can't depend on always being able to exercise. Also, if we do it for reasons, such as that it makes us feel happier and stronger, we have more likelihood of doing it. When forced to, it can become a joyless chore.

Amazing how ingrained the idea of exercise is when considering maintaining a healthy diet. Good to rethink this, methinks....
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
I agree 100%.

I used to do a lot of jogging when I was in my 20's and early 30's, and I didn't do it for weight reasons (just for the exercise and psychic benefits), so I can understand the appeal. But to be honest, if I knew back then what I know now that strenuous exercise isn't necessary for good health, I can't help but wonder if I might have skipped the whole routine altogether and focused just on diet.
JohnAndHisCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:37 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

I think it is a simplistic statement that is mostly true. And it is talking just about weight management and not the many other benefits of exercising to be fit.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
I love it and totally agree. I think when people hear that message though, they think people mean NO exercise. And that's not the point at all. Exercise is good for a lot of things, losing weight isn't one of them.

I heard this some where, maybe from you Cathy You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet, nor can you exercise yourself thin.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/183.6/135 (24-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Didn't someone write weight loss is 90% diet and 10% exercise...

It won't necessarily help you lose weight, but you'll look better naked!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/166/170
Start Date: December 2013
Simple answer is yes he's right.

Plus I think people tend to exaggerate the difference in physical activity between generations. People also had cars in the 50's and exercising for your weight was almost unheard of.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/160/130ish
Start Date: Feb/2014
Great thread
many of you may know by now, I hate exercise, it never feels good before, during, or after. I did start though, a little bit hoping it would improve my losses, but it has not. I will continue for the benefit of endurance, strength, and desperately trying to slow down gravity

What I really hate are those shows about weight loss and all those poor people are being abused by those trainers. I do mean abused I watched one for about 15 minutes and that Jillian or what ever her name is was just railing on this poor guy, I've never watched again. It once again sends a false message to the population "exercise get thin" not....
maximumdensity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Great thread
many of you may know by now, I hate exercise, it never feels good before, during, or after. I did start though, a little bit hoping it would improve my losses, but it has not. I will continue for the benefit of endurance, strength, and desperately trying to slow down gravity

What I really hate are those shows about weight loss and all those poor people are being abused by those trainers. I do mean abused I watched one for about 15 minutes and that Jillian or what ever her name is was just railing on this poor guy, I've never watched again. It once again sends a false message to the population "exercise get thin" not....
Old 07-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

BTW I think this double posting happens b/c of my dial up....sorry
Old 07-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/221.4/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
I think that is probably what the ideal situation is if it is simple math of calorie in vs calorie out but it isn't. People are lazy by nature so if not doing exercise can maintain current physique why not? But the truth (at least from what i read ) is that especially for people who are conscious of their exterior appearance they need to keep up the exercise so they still have great 6 pack or whatever. It is still a ways to go for me (42 pounds) to reach my "ideal weight" of 176 - will i quit exercise entirely at that point ? Probably not but I would definitely be more "lazy" about it unless i see a drastic weight shift going upwwards. Theres also the toning aspect for loose skin so i will be doing some sort of exercise regardless.

Ideally for me is to eat more calories at "maintenance level" while still do zumba couple times a week but not putting in the 13-14 hours i am doing now for sure...
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Gary Taubes says this, too. Our parents and grandparents didn't run off to the gym to maintain their weight, they didn't go jogging or lift weights (and, no, my relatives did not do physical labor all day, either). Up until the 70's they ate plenty of butter and animal fat and almost never exercised for exercise's sake, but they were not fat.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:16 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aisha786
I do agree that exercise shouldn't be used as a way to justify overeating and is not largely a part of the weight loss process in and of itself. At any rate, it should not be relied upon for a major portion of burning, at most 10% or so.

I remember I was exercising madly and then one day, the thought entered my mind that I am going on vacation for a month where there will not be any way to exercise like this. Then what will I do? So I then sought out a major dietary change and this diet is what I landed on. I'd be happy if I actually lost some weight though.

However, exercise for fitness, better mental and physical health, more efficient metabolic processes etc is very good. Not so much as a major part of weight loss by itself. Having some sort of muscles can help burn off more calories, which is great. So we shouldn't be noodles.

Being fit can make our lives much better and more active, give us stamina to do the activities we have to do in our lives. There are a plethora of benefits, but ultimately, I agree that we should not eat extra and then think we'll burn it off. That's a very unhealthy state of mind, and I think possibly hinting at a disorder for some.
aisha786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:35 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/166/170
Start Date: December 2013
I'm picky on how I spend my energy at the gym.

Cardio is mostly just used as a warm-up to get the blood flowing before lifting weights.

I know the more calories I burn at the gym, the more food I will eat.

I wouldn't care about this if I had endless amount of money to spend on food but I have a tight budged.

So the goal is not to burn calories. The goal is to increase health and tone the body. I don't think you have to burn excessive amount of calories to do that.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

I don't think the message was that burning extra calories through physical exercise is at question but rather the type of food that is being consumed.

I also 100% sure that Dr. Noakes was not saying do not exercise (given his back ground). What he was saying is that weight management comes from the type of food a person eats.

Exercise is for all the other obvious benefits. As Gary Taubes has been quoted as saying, "weight loss causes exercise not the other way around". Exercising to burn off those extra calories is backwards. It is just another way to frame the calories in/calories out myth.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!