Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Time for a 'favorite new recipe' N.K. style!

Many of us eat pretty 'plainly' but it is fun to change it up now and then. I thought it might be fun to share any new recipe you are using currently along with the macro nutrients (to make it easy). I will start with an explanation.

I tried making bbq sauce back in the beginning and never found one that was worth the trouble. Just quit and ate grilled meat plain or with some seasoning. And then, a wise person near to me who was relatively new to low/carb shared this with me.... Never turning back! Particularly good on wings. I oven cook the wings then toss in the bbq sauce and reheat on the grill! Next time I will take a moment to take a picture!!!

BBQ SAUCE

1/2 cup no sugar ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 tsp molasses or 2 tablespoons brown artificial sweetener
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (like tabosco)
1/4 cup chopped onion
total carbs 24 grams

I used 1/2 of this over 2.5 lbs. of chicken wings and got rave reviews. I did the other 2.5lbs in Franks hot sauce. Made a great appetizer.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Bacon wrapped onion rings. Don't recall who planted this 'seed' in my head but THANK YOU!! Very simple. Wrap thin bacon strips around a ring of onion and place on parchment paper lined pan. Cook at 375 until bacon is crispy (around 20 - 25 minutes). To kill for!! I have read that some people dip their onion rings in sriracha sauce and then the bacon. That sounds good too! Counts are entirely dependent on the amounts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg onion rings.jpg (58.9 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by clackley; 06-26-2014 at 11:45 AM..
Old 06-26-2014, 09:29 PM   #3

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Yum! I have seen the bacon wrapped onion idea and must try it!!! I also love bbq sauce and the only ofone I liked was discontinued sorry I have no recipe to add. At the moment I am loving Applewood smoked bacon and also grilled tri tip
Maryposa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:32 PM   #4

Ok not really a recipe but 1 medium spiral cut zucchini and 1/4 cup 90% fat garlic Alfredo sauce (bertoil?) Is delish
Old 06-27-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/126, 30.25"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Ok not really a recipe but 1 medium spiral cut zucchini and 1/4 cup 90% fat garlic Alfredo sauce (bertoil?) Is delish
Maryposa,

How do you cook your zucchini noodles? Do you boil them?

I've been wanting to try these.

Thx!
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:19 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Often, simple is the best. I have not seen this sauce but I do make a killer Alfredo myself!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #7

I cook them in a nearly dry frying pan, medium heat... so the water that releases off them evaporates. I add the sauce after they are done and just let it warm. I don't cook them too long otherwise they'll cook down to a very tiny portion.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I was never a mayo eater in my life, but I learned to make my own mayo and love it so much I eat it with a spoon. And it's so simple with a stick blender:

1 egg
Juice from 1/2 a lemon (at least 1 Tbsp)
1/2 to 1 cup of light olive oil (EVOO is too bitter, but this works with Avocado oil, too).
2 pinches of salt or to taste
Optional--1 tsp mustard

Place the egg in the cup that came with your stick blender or a narrow, tall container (1 cup measuring cup works, or a wide mouth mason jar). This will not work if the container is too wide.

Pour in the lemon juice on top of the egg (DON"T skip the lemon juice, it's essential as the emulsifying agent, but it can be substituted for vinegar if you prefer)

Pour the oil on top of the egg and lemon juice.

You'll see recipes that say everything has to be the same room temperature, but I take the eggs directly from the fridge. No matter.

Place a stick blender in the container all the way to the bottom, being especially certain to trap the egg yolk under the blender. Turn on the blender and hold it steady for 20 seconds, then gently tilt the blender to incorporate in any remaining oil. Stir in salt and mustard (if desired) to taste. Voila!

This will thicken up a little once refrigerated.

I don't like vinegar much or the mustard (I like mustard, just not in my mayo). Without vinegar and mustard the mayo has a light, delicate flavor that I really love. After all these years I'm a mayo eater!

NOTE: The egg is raw, so you should not feed this to babies or people with compromised immune systems. You can pasteurize the egg if you prefer (google how to do it). To reduce the salmonella threat if you're using raw egg, use eggs from a reliable local pastured source rather than mass produced grocery store eggs.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Jan, I have tried your method with miserable outcomes. I wasted 3 cups of avocado oil before I gave up but .... and this is a big 'but', no where did I read that it should be a narrow container!!!!

This would make perfect sense. I am going to try it again. Just hate using the beater - messy and time consuming!!1

THANK YOU in advance!!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

I kept having failures because I was skipping the lemon juice. I thought I would add it after to taste. But the lemon juice (or vinegar) is the emulsifying agent, without it, no good. Since I figured it out, it's been flawless.

Good luck with the narrow container!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Great thread, thank you Cathy. I can't wait to try your BBQ sauce. I'm not a big BBQ sauce eater, but it just hits the spot sometimes. Especially this time of year. I have everything on hand except the celery seed, how important are they? If it's vital, I'll get some.

Jan, wow thank you so much. You took all the intimidation of the process out for me. I'm one of those odd birds that is not crazy about olive oil, hubby loves it so have plenty but no light. If I'm going to buy a new expensive oil, which would you or anyone else recommend......avocado or macadamia?

Ok this is not really a recipe, but one of my favorite things to eat:

I use a pork shoulder/butt, picnic, etc. or a chuck roast and salt and pepper it, put it in the crockpot then pour a small can of chipotle peppers and sauce over the roast (I spread it over the meat) and cook for 6-8 hrs, depending on size. I then shredded it and freeze it in portion sizes. My favorite way to eat it is over sautéed cabbage. It is very hot and not for the feint of heart.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bonbon41
Stats: 200+, 130, 125
WOE: NK, HFLC
Start Date: Atkins 2001, NK May 2014
Really great thread - I love cooking and sharing recipes...

I go gaga for all things chipotle - definitely going to try the above.

Over the years, my favourite cheesecake has been Karen Barnaby's No Bake Vancouver Cheesecake (on this site). Crust like Almond Roca! People never know its low carb - 89.7% fat. I use healthier sweeteners, swapping Splenda and Sugar Twin for erythritol/stevia. Makes a giant cake but freezes beautifulyl and this comes in handy when a sweet fix is needed!
Bonbon41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:02 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
Great thread, thank you Cathy. I can't wait to try your BBQ sauce. I'm not a big BBQ sauce eater, but it just hits the spot sometimes. Especially this time of year. I have everything on hand except the celery seed, how important are they? If it's vital, I'll get some.

Jan, wow thank you so much. You took all the intimidation of the process out for me. I'm one of those odd birds that is not crazy about olive oil, hubby loves it so have plenty but no light. If I'm going to buy a new expensive oil, which would you or anyone else recommend......avocado or macadamia?

I use a pork shoulder/butt, picnic, etc. or a chuck roast and salt and pepper it, put it in the crockpot then pour a small can of chipotle peppers and sauce over the roast (I spread it over the meat) and cook for 6-8 hrs, depending on size. I then shredded it and freeze it in portion sizes. My favorite way to eat it is over sautéed cabbage. It is very hot and not for the feint of heart.
I don't have any either. I use celery salt. If you left it out, I don't think it would have much impact as it is such a small amount.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I don't have any either. I use celery salt. If you left it out, I don't think it would have much impact as it is such a small amount.
Thank you
Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: eBungalow
Stats: working toward healthier
WOE: NK
Start Date: July 2010
Thanks so much for the mayo recipe! Easiest mayo I've ever made - very yummy. I used a tall narrow canning jar.

My current favorite recipe is a mash up of different curry chicken salad recipes from around the net:

2 cups riced cauliflower - I used frozen because that's what I had. Run frozen cauliflower under cold water for 30 seconds or so. Rice in food processor. Cook for a few minutes in dry sautee pan (until it reaches desired texture)

6-8 ounces cooked shredded chicken

1-2 T sour cream

1-2 T mayo

Chopped onions

Chopped red/yellow/green peppers

2 t curry powder

Any other leftover vegetables - chopped

Sometimes add part of a chopped apple or pear if I can afford the carbs

Mix.

I know it's not a very precise recipe, but it depends on what I have in the fridge. I run everything through an online food counter to get the macros after I've made it.

Tracking macros has changed my life. That sounds sooo dramatic but it's true. Don't know why I didn't do it earlier.
eBungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Great thread!

I've tried the bacon wrapped onions and the zucchini noodles. Yum to both!

It's true that we eat pretty plainly, but I have figured out how to adapt a few family favorites that my kids and husband can't live without.

We make fish tacos in Maria Emmerich's wraps with spicy tilapia, lots of Avacado, and just a small dollop of salsa or tomato sauce.

We also make BLTs (I use one of the wraps instead if toast) with lots of Avacado. IMO, no one should ever eat a BLT without Avacado. SO GOOD!

I also make spaghetti sauce & meatballs, using my old recipe but subbing 1/4 c of coconut meal for the 1/2 c bread crumbs used to bind it. I find a few meatballs with just a tablespoon of sauce and a crumbled slice of provolone cheese are terrific over spinach tossed with olive oil and salt. I actually prefer this dish as a salad rather than eating it over pasta... So much more flavorful!!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #17

I just today at lunch pan fried some zoodles with garlic butter and parm and grilled a few shrimp. It was more than I needed so I set some aside for someone I am close with at work. He's def not a low carber.... He texted me "Thank you for one of the best lunches I've eaten in quite a while!" ;D .... and he's not the type to give insincere complements. Is this plan great or what??

PS.... garlic butter makes almost anything taste amazing
PSS... another friend of mine said he doesn't like veggies... I said "that is because you're a low fat eater... fats (butter, cream, oils, mayo, cheeses, nut butters) are veggie soul mates"

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Old 07-03-2014, 12:02 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Two new fat bomb recipes:

1. Chocolate Chip Cookie "dough":

1 Tbsp butter, softened
1 Tbsp coconut oil, softened
A few drops of vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 Tbsp almond butter (or nut/seed butter of your choice)
1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
Sweetener to taste (I don't add any)
1 square of coarsely chopped very dark chocolate
Nuts (optional)

Cream together butter and CO with vanilla and salt. Add almond butter and mix well. Stir in protein powder and sweetener if using. Fold in chocolate and nuts (optional)

It's ready to eat with a spoon, but even better chilled.

2. Chocolate Coconut Butter "pudding"
1 Tbsp coconut butter (aka creamed coconut)
1 tsp butter
1 or 2 squares very dark chocolate
1 Tbsp coconut milk.

Melt butter and coconut butter together with the chocolate. Stir well. I like to add nuts and sometimes or freeze dried cranberries or raspberries for a tart accent. Stir in the coconut milk and the mixture will thicken to a pudding-like consistency. Eat immediately with a spoon.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:59 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I just today at lunch pan fried some zoodles with garlic butter and parm and grilled a few shrimp. It was more than I needed so I set some aside for someone I am close with at work. He's def not a low carber.... He texted me "Thank you for one of the best lunches I've eaten in quite a while!" ;D .... and he's not the type to give insincere complements. Is this plan great or what??

PS.... garlic butter makes almost anything taste amazing
PSS... another friend of mine said he doesn't like veggies... I said "that is because you're a low fat eater... fats (butter, cream, oils, mayo, cheeses, nut butters) are veggie soul mates"
Veggies & fats are soul mates... LOL! Too true!
Old 07-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: labmini
Stats: 197.5/178/150
WOE: Keeping it real, clean and low carb
Start Date: 7/1/12
Quote:
Bacon wrapped onion rings. Don't recall who planted this 'seed' in my head but THANK YOU!! Very simple. Wrap thin bacon strips around a ring of onion and place on parchment paper lined pan. Cook at 375 until bacon is crispy (around 20 - 25 minutes). To kill for!! I have read that some people dip their onion rings in sriracha sauce and then the bacon. That sounds good too! Counts are entirely dependent on the amounts.
This sounds AMAZING!
labmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post

This is super delish and if you add a can of diet Dr. Pepper or diet Coke it makes a "BBQ" type flavor! Calms a little of the heat
Old 07-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Sorry for the "power" posting on this thread, but wanted to say Thank you! I am so happy to see this thread!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labmini View Post
This is super delish and if you add a can of diet Dr. Pepper or diet Coke it makes a "BBQ" type flavor! Calms a little of the heat
Ooh I'll have to try that. Thank you. Though I never try to calm the heat.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I found a simple olive oil - based mayo recipe.
It says to use light and fruity olive oil.
How would I know if my olive oil is fruity?
Would it say so on the label?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #25
Chatty Cathy

Epic fail - again with the quick mayo recipe. I don't know what I am doing wrong..... Reverted back to the slow beater method and great results.... Just don't get it.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maximumdensity
Stats: 183/150/130ish
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb/2014
OMG great thread ! definately going to do the onion rings And will tinker with the mayo and BBQ sauce too.
Thank you, going to go clean something , this has really whet my appetite but it's not time to eat yet
maximumdensity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #27
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Epic fail - again with the quick mayo recipe. I don't know what I am doing wrong..... Reverted back to the slow beater method and great results.... Just don't get it.
It could be your immersion blender. I bought a new one and never could get it to make mayo. Luckily, the part that was missing from my old one turned up and I could make mayo again.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #28
Chatty Cathy

Must be. It is the only logical thing.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I came across Buttonis dumpling recipe a few days ago and just HAD to try it. It's not high fat, but it was well worth cooking. Very low carb AND low calorie. You can google buttonis low carb dumpling recipe and it will pop up. The directions are VERY specific. You will not be disappointed in this recipe. I just added my fat in with snacks and other meals.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:34 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

My daughter made the bacon wrapped onion rings for the Fourth.....