Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tmooon
newbie here.. tips? keto flu?

any tips for a newbie? i am pretty nervous about giving this whole NK a go, but i am convinced that i need to try. i have had a range of symptoms for 2 years, and less severe symptoms for about 10 years before that. at this point, after a full workup from the doctor came back completely normal (again), i am suspecting leaky gut. i have read that this type of diet is a great way to heal that, along with mineral supplements and l glutamine. i have also been trying to lose weight for 4 years and i find myself working SO hard with absolutely nothing to show for it. i am the same weight now that i was 4 years ago and i work out 4 times a week, watch every little thing that goes into my mouth, tried more calories, less calories and still, NOTHING. i have become completely miserable with it and im beginning to feel even more unmotivated

yesterday i ate low carb- only 19 carbs until the end of the evening when i had some chocolate- cant remember my protein and fat. i wasn't really IN it, yet... just sort of winging it while i researched NK more. today, i woke up feeling like HELL. seriously, i was getting hot and cold sweats, i could barely keep my eyes open and i didn't speak a word for the first half of the day. my husband kept asking if i was okay. i did NOT feel ok. i took a whole bunch of trace minerals and within two hours, i felt human again and could have a conversation without wanting to puke. i ate 24 carbs (fat and protein were 100 and 60) today. could this have been keto flu (if this is this even a thing) already?

Anyway- I look forward to being part of the forum!

Thanks for any input
tmooon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Welcome to the world of low carb! I was very much like you- trying hard but getting nowhere with the standard dietary advice. I'm just starting on my journey but my health has greatly improved. I hope you'll experience the same!

Keto flu is a thing and it sounds like you might have or have had it. Supplementing sodium, magnesium and potassium are essential on this diet. If you don't you feel awful and can get some nasty muscle cramps. With your gastro issues, you might also want to add a probiotic. They have really helped me.

As for general tips, I suggest checking out an online keto calculator to get your macros and caloric target, if you haven't already. Don't worry too much about tracking calories for the first few weeks but try to approximate the ratios. After flu symptoms and excess hunger subside, then start tracking calories and macros.

If tracking is something you hate doing, track for a month or two to get an idea of portion sizes and macro counts. Then slowly reduce tracking/measuring/weighing. Every couple of months, track/weigh/measure again for a couple days so you keep your estimates close to right.

If you get cravings try substituting the carb with something else. It's best if the substitute has fat as it keeps you satisfied. I rather like cheese or salami microwaved/baked into crisp 'crackers' with some kind of fatty dip.

Finally... be careful about net carbs and fake sugar.

Some companies fake net carbs by adding additional fiber. This is misleading or otherwise we could eat a dozen donuts and follow it with an epic dose of Metamucil and be fine. Fiber slows the digestion of carbs but does not stop it. That's why we're told to eat 'healthy wholegrains'. The carbs used have to be indigestible to not count. That is why we remove fiber from the total count as fiber is indigestible. Just remember that fiber doesn't 'remove' other carbs.

Sugar alcohols can be misleading in similar ways. They often have a relatively high GI, so Google up a list. Insulin spikes are what we're trying to avoid on low carb diets because it is what causes the storage of fat, so choose your sugar substitute carefully. I'll add that some people also find they can trigger bigger cravings or stall their weight loss. Others do just fine.

I hope you don't mind the info dump! There is a lot to learn on this diet and a lot of it is learning what works for you. Good luck!
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Hi!

Welcome!

According to what I have read, it is common for people to get really sick like that when they eat off plan- so many people just choose not to have those kinds of treats. Here there are several people that do ok having carby foods on occasion. I think it may depend how insulin resistant you are- I am not sure. I have yet to try to eat over on carbs, but have had issues with berries doing the same thing to me so I think I will probably have issues. For me, it helps keep me on track. If you have a bad sweet tooth like I do, you may want to look up some low carb treats. I make whipped cream with stevia, vanilla and heavy whipping cream. You can also add cocoa powder or cream cheese for variation. There is a pretty yummy low carb cheesecake recipe floating around too.

I think I would call that keto fle, but you may get it even when you are on track because it is your body adjusting to burning fat instead of carbs. Getting enough potassium, magnesium and salt in general should help.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by backseatadventurer View Post
Welcome to the world of low carb! I was very much like you- trying hard but getting nowhere with the standard dietary advice. I'm just starting on my journey but my health has greatly improved. I hope you'll experience the same!

Keto flu is a thing and it sounds like you might have or have had it. Supplementing sodium, magnesium and potassium are essential on this diet. If you don't you feel awful and can get some nasty muscle cramps. With your gastro issues, you might also want to add a probiotic. They have really helped me.

As for general tips, I suggest checking out an online keto calculator to get your macros and caloric target, if you haven't already. Don't worry too much about tracking calories for the first few weeks but try to approximate the ratios. After flu symptoms and excess hunger subside, then start tracking calories and macros.

If tracking is something you hate doing, track for a month or two to get an idea of portion sizes and macro counts. Then slowly reduce tracking/measuring/weighing. Every couple of months, track/weigh/measure again for a couple days so you keep your estimates close to right.

If you get cravings try substituting the carb with something else. It's best if the substitute has fat as it keeps you satisfied. I rather like cheese or salami microwaved/baked into crisp 'crackers' with some kind of fatty dip.

Finally... be careful about net carbs and fake sugar.

Some companies fake net carbs by adding additional fiber. This is misleading or otherwise we could eat a dozen donuts and follow it with an epic dose of Metamucil and be fine. Fiber slows the digestion of carbs but does not stop it. That's why we're told to eat 'healthy wholegrains'. The carbs used have to be indigestible to not count. That is why we remove fiber from the total count as fiber is indigestible. Just remember that fiber doesn't 'remove' other carbs.

Sugar alcohols can be misleading in similar ways. They often have a relatively high GI, so Google up a list. Insulin spikes are what we're trying to avoid on low carb diets because it is what causes the storage of fat, so choose your sugar substitute carefully. I'll add that some people also find they can trigger bigger cravings or stall their weight loss. Others do just fine.

I hope you don't mind the info dump! There is a lot to learn on this diet and a lot of it is learning what works for you. Good luck!
At first you may have to take supplements. I have been doing this for a year and I do not need supplements any more. I feel fine without them. Also for me, fiber makes me retain water and I do not lose when I eat foods with fiber in it.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmooon View Post
any tips for a newbie? i am pretty nervous about giving this whole NK a go, but i am convinced that i need to try. i have had a range of symptoms for 2 years, and less severe symptoms for about 10 years before that. at this point, after a full workup from the doctor came back completely normal (again), i am suspecting leaky gut. i have read that this type of diet is a great way to heal that, along with mineral supplements and l glutamine. i have also been trying to lose weight for 4 years and i find myself working SO hard with absolutely nothing to show for it. i am the same weight now that i was 4 years ago and i work out 4 times a week, watch every little thing that goes into my mouth, tried more calories, less calories and still, NOTHING. i have become completely miserable with it and im beginning to feel even more unmotivated

yesterday i ate low carb- only 19 carbs until the end of the evening when i had some chocolate- cant remember my protein and fat. i wasn't really IN it, yet... just sort of winging it while i researched NK more. today, i woke up feeling like HELL. seriously, i was getting hot and cold sweats, i could barely keep my eyes open and i didn't speak a word for the first half of the day. my husband kept asking if i was okay. i did NOT feel ok. i took a whole bunch of trace minerals and within two hours, i felt human again and could have a conversation without wanting to puke. i ate 24 carbs (fat and protein were 100 and 60) today. could this have been keto flu (if this is this even a thing) already?

Anyway- I look forward to being part of the forum!

Thanks for any input

You are probably going through carb withdrawals. I lowered my carbs slowly over a couple of weeks, so I really never went through that. I am now at under 20 carbs a day. Be careful with supplements. Do not take too much of them. They can be harmful if taken in large amounts. Make sure you add more salt to your diet. I used to add it directly to my water and drink it down. I no longer need to do that, because I am Keto adapted.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyeBaby
Stats: 208/192/160?
WOE: LCHF
On the leaky gut, both my husband and his daughter suffered (mysteriously) from that for years. They tried the strangest (woo-woo) cures while searching for relief. Going gluten-free and taking probiotics were what helped them get beyond it.

There is a blood test that will show if you have bona-fide Celiac Disease, but get rid of the wheat (and all grains) forever anyway. Don't buy "gluten-free" products--that's just marketing and frankenfood. Eat fresh. Eat clean. Read labels. We saw apples in the store yesterday that said GF. Unbelievable.

About the "induction flu," stick with the LC plan and it will pass in a day or two. Best of luck on your journey. You're gonna feel great.
RyeBaby is online now   Reply With Quote