Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladybarometer
Stats: 219/188/160
WOE: Low Carb (Less than 30 total a day)
Start Date: Always Ongoing it seems
Keto-Adapted for a repeat offender

I've gone back and forth, to and from low carb eating. I'm back at it again and looking to add IF (Eat. Stop Eat style) twice a week.

I've been back on LC for a week, and there wasn't a loss - just maintaining. It's always discouraging because of the first time on LC and losing 5-7 lbs those first couple of weeks, but now I don't get that burst of happiness and success. I got to thinking, before hopping right back off the LC wagon as to why we lose weight those first two weeks, and I remember that it's ALL water. If you eat lower carb anyway, then drop lower, or if you are dehydrated or you don't eat much salt, or carry a lot of excess water than you're not going to have that woosh of water loss, right?

So must we be keto-adapted before seeing fat loss? I hear it takes about a month of LC eating to become Keto Adapted. I stay below 30 carbs (usually around 20-25) and 10-15 net carbs. i know everyone is different, but I'd hope this works out for me eventually; the only thing I really have to cut out is the ocassional Quest bar and my green salad

I just don't want to believe that we only get on golden shot at LC weight loss.

My Sample menus look kinda like this:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and Bacon
Lunch: Salad with ranch (usually green w/ a protein)
Dinner: Chicken, beef or fish, and a side (green beans or broccoli)
Of a Linda's LC recipe

The only thing that really alternates is breakfast. Sometimes I'll do a quest bar (or have one for a snack), or I'll do leftovers from dinner.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soonergal76
Stats: 388/332/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 01/12/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybarometer View Post
I've gone back and forth, to and from low carb eating. I'm back at it again and looking to add IF (Eat. Stop Eat style) twice a week.

I've been back on LC for a week, and there wasn't a loss - just maintaining. It's always discouraging because of the first time on LC and losing 5-7 lbs those first couple of weeks, but now I don't get that burst of happiness and success. I got to thinking, before hopping right back off the LC wagon as to why we lose weight those first two weeks, and I remember that it's ALL water. If you eat lower carb anyway, then drop lower, or if you are dehydrated or you don't eat much salt, or carry a lot of excess water than you're not going to have that woosh of water loss, right?

So must we be keto-adapted before seeing fat loss? I hear it takes about a month of LC eating to become Keto Adapted. I stay below 30 carbs (usually around 20-25) and 10-15 net carbs. i know everyone is different, but I'd hope this works out for me eventually; the only thing I really have to cut out is the ocassional Quest bar and my green salad

I just don't want to believe that we only get on golden shot at LC weight loss.

My Sample menus look kinda like this:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and Bacon
Lunch: Salad with ranch (usually green w/ a protein)
Dinner: Chicken, beef or fish, and a side (green beans or broccoli)
Of a Linda's LC recipe

The only thing that really alternates is breakfast. Sometimes I'll do a quest bar (or have one for a snack), or I'll do leftovers from dinner.

Hi there. Your menu actually looks pretty good... just might check fat counts... because part of losing successfully on LC is getting enough fat. I've been doing it since 01/12/14 and have lost 41 lbs.... I only just had my first 'stall' but came out of it pretty quickly. I've lost an average of just under 10 lbs. per month. And if I can do it... you can too. I tried every diet and exercise program there is... and either wouldn't lose weight or would gain. But I am convinced about LCHF WOE.

Good luck in whatever WOE you choose.
soonergal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I think you nailed it here:

If you eat lower carb anyway, then drop lower, or if you are dehydrated or you don't eat much salt, or carry a lot of excess water than you're not going to have that woosh of water loss, right?

How LC were you before you started this past week? When you say a week, do you mean starting Monday or 7 days ago? Only reason asking is that Monday is such a common start day of the week and that would put you at 4 days, not a week.

Also, looking at your stats - it might be that when you lost the 5-7#, this was back when you were 219. Now that you're 30# less, you have less to lose, so logically, it would be less at the beginning and if you're already somewhat lower carb, then you aren't bloated to begin with.

You do not need tone keto-adapted to lose weight. There are so many people eating LC that are: 1) Not in ketosis and 2) Not keto-adapted, which can take up to a month.

Hang in there, keep it up. If you stay steady with your eating and still don't lose in another week, you can look at the Quest bar.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
How LC were you before you started this past week? When you say a week, do you mean starting Monday or 7 days ago? Only reason asking is that Monday is such a common start day of the week and that would put you at 4 days, not a week.
Before this week, I never went over 100 unless it was just a weird day. I started on Saturday, so almost a full week. I wasn't looking for a big loss, I just got to thinking about it, and the past.

When I initially started LC I was over 219 lbs, so it certainly makes since that at 188, trying it out again may take longer. I've heard to that if you are, or have been a yo-yo dieter, which I have been guilty of this past year and a half due to life happening over and over that it will take any program or WOE longer to produce results - is that true?

@Soonergal - Do you work out along with your WOE. Some people say, "yes! Totally workout, it speeds up your fat loss." Some say it slows your loss, but I wonder if they are only looking at the scale - good workouts cause some water retention for muscle repair that can show up on the scale, which isn't a big deal to me. I used to workout 3 days a week for an hour doing spinning or kickboxing, right now I'm just using FitBit and walking my 10,000 every day, but I'm trying to get back in my gym classes.

Last edited by ladybarometer; 05-23-2014 at 06:42 AM..
ladybarometer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

You were already somewhat LC, as opposed to the SAD - which is a good thing!

Re: yo-yo dieting, it can make it harder - I've heard the body tries harder to hang onto the weight. Some people are or become more insulin resistant. It might take you longer to get started, but you know what you're doing and you know how to lose, so maybe it will take a bit longer to get started. Some people say: Golden shot, then other people say: Bah, that's BS - everyone can lose. I don't think there is a golden shot - I think everyone can lose. Maybe not as quickly as the first time (but again, you're starting from a lower point), but hang in there!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

The whole Golden Shot thing doesn't make sense to me because those believers are basically saying that your some how immuned to this WOE, and that's not possible based on how LC works. If your not burning carbs, and you "spent" your golden shot, then what is your body using for energy? It's gotta be using the fat.

One thing that I do think though, is that we have ALOT more access to LC products, and I'm not completely against the ocassional "franken food" - we all have a weakness, but some folks start buying all the Atkins products or meal replacements. I can't say much for the new frozen entrees, I've tried them and they're ok in a pinch, but I'm talking about the breakfast bars, meal bars, shakes, candy, ect.. Then all the SF candy with 1 carb per 9 pieces or something ridiculous. Then you have Sharon Osbourne saying that she eats all these things and loses weight, which may or may not be true, but I think many lose that rate of success by consuming too much of this stuff, and not realizing that they may be sensitive to the atificial sweetners, and react the same or similar as if they are eating real sugar. Plus, they may not be counting the calories, which I think matter to an extent - It would be easy to hit 3000 calories eating 3 meals a day, an Atkins snack bar, and munching on SF candies at your desk, or maybe that's just me haha! I've boycotted those products this time around, while hoping Quest bars a few times a week won't have the same affect.

I'm just not one of the lucky ones who aren't REALLY sensitive to those products :/
Old 05-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
One thing that I do think though, is that we have ALOT more access to LC products, and I'm not completely against the ocassional "franken food" - we all have a weakness, but some folks start buying all the Atkins products or meal replacements. I can't say much for the new frozen entrees, I've tried them and they're ok in a pinch, but I'm talking about the breakfast bars, meal bars, shakes, candy, ect.. Then all the SF candy with 1 carb per 9 pieces or something ridiculous. Then you have Sharon Osbourne saying that she eats all these things and loses weight, which may or may not be true, but I think many lose that rate of success by consuming too much of this stuff, and not realizing that they may be sensitive to the atificial sweetners, and react the same or similar as if they are eating real sugar. Plus, they may not be counting the calories, which I think matter to an extent - It would be easy to hit 3000 calories eating 3 meals a day, an Atkins snack bar, and munching on SF candies at your desk, or maybe that's just me haha! I've boycotted those products this time around, while hoping Quest bars a few times a week won't have the same affect.
And then there's a thread: why am I not losing? Not referring to yours, but the threads based on your scenario above.

One thing I've appreciated about starting with NK - there isn't a lot of wiggle room for me to stay under 18 carbs a day, so I've had to change my kitchen and cooking. Definitely lots more higher fat sautés and casseroles. I try to avoid bars and such (one exception is chocolate, but I haven't eaten chocolate in a few months)

I love these quotes from Michael Pollan (my food hero):

“Don't eat anything incapable of rotting.”
“If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't. ” - again, I think chocolate should be an exception!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Yes, I think everyone can lose but you have to be prepared that THIS time, it may be slowly. This time, you may have to tweak your carbs and protein levels to suit your needs right now. You may want to track everything so you can see exactly what works and what doesn't.

Its all very individual and our body's needs change. It can be a challenge getting it just right or it might be a breeze. Just take on Churchill's mantra and never give up.

Kathee
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I think since I have run out, I may try things out without my trusty quest bars. I figure eventually, I won't have the cravings.

I love super dark chocolate. It feeds my craving, and it doesn't take much to get rid of my craving. My limit is the 86% dark though.

I need to add more fat, my mid day salad dents my fat intake for the day, so adding more for breakfast or dinner, or having a different type of snack would be good. I love advocados and guacamole! Mayve I can incorporate my love for that in form of a snack or as a topping. Maybe just add advocado to my salads! Yummm!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

A salad wouldn't be worth eating without half a sliced avocado on it, lady!
Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Check this out:
Quest BarIngredients:
Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharides* (Prebiotic Fiber), Peanuts, Water, Erythritol, Cocoa. Contains less than 2% of the following: Sea Salt, Stevia, Lo Han Guo, Natural Flavors.

Although the bar says 3 net carbs, it has 25 carbs – they subtract the fiber of course, but the fiber isn’t something naturally occurring within the ingredients; it’s an added ingredient like adding flax seed to something. That being the case, you wouldn’t subtract the fiber from the carbs, since the carbs and fiber are not coming from the same place, they occur in separate ingredients. That’s like eating eggs and adding flax seed, and saying they have negative carbs due to having more fiber than carb content. Goodbye quest bars!
Old 05-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Check this out:
Quest BarIngredients:
Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharides* (Prebiotic Fiber), Peanuts, Water, Erythritol, Cocoa. Contains less than 2% of the following: Sea Salt, Stevia, Lo Han Guo, Natural Flavors.

Although the bar says 3 net carbs, it has 25 carbs – they subtract the fiber of course, but the fiber isn’t something naturally occurring within the ingredients; it’s an added ingredient like adding flax seed to something. That being the case, you wouldn’t subtract the fiber from the carbs, since the carbs and fiber are not coming from the same place, they occur in separate ingredients. That’s like eating eggs and adding flax seed, and saying they have negative carbs due to having more fiber than carb content. Goodbye quest bars!
Smart girl! That's the way to analyze a label!
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
For me, I just do NOT trust packaged foods, regardless of who makes them. I think the only packaged thing I eat is peanut butter, and it's the all natural kind with just peanuts and salt, and some cheeses. It's so easy to get great food right from the ground or the animal...even sweets like cocoa and chocolate (don't each any chocolate these days but I agree with sbarr's exception to packaged food ).

IMO the key to losing weight, besides being really disciplined, is clean eating. I figure even if I don't reach my goal weight I know I'm doing great things for my body by eating this way.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

That's definitley true!
I don't know why I trust any packaged food, when I barely trust resturaunts or coffee shops. The best thing to do is to make myself!
Old 05-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcrosser View Post
For me, I just do NOT trust packaged foods, regardless of who makes them. I think the only packaged thing I eat is peanut butter, and it's the all natural kind with just peanuts and salt, and some cheeses. It's so easy to get great food right from the ground or the animal...even sweets like cocoa and chocolate (don't each any chocolate these days but I agree with sbarr's exception to packaged food ).

IMO the key to losing weight, besides being really disciplined, is clean eating. I figure even if I don't reach my goal weight I know I'm doing great things for my body by eating this way.
I agree completely!
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I can't imagine what would have been offensive but then, I probably go around offending without even knowing it....??? Don't worry about it - everyone understands that this is a limited way of communicating and communication is one of the most difficult things in the best of circumstances. At least that is my position!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:43 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BaconLover
Stats: 310/283/210
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: In between stresses--restart after house sells.
Quote:

I love super dark chocolate. It feeds my craving, and it doesn't take much to get rid of my craving. My limit is the 86% dark though.

Five words: Chocolate almond butter fat bombs.
BaconLover is offline   Reply With Quote