Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   self-motivation and IF (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/831471-self-motivation-if.html)

Peace 05-20-2014 08:56 AM

self-motivation and IF

As much I as I enjoy this forum, I understand the only way I am going to feel good about eating is Letting Go and just being content with my body.

However, I feel as if I need to still lose at least 5 lbs and maybe 10 at this point.

I think I am going to try IF.

At this point, if I am not hungry, I am not going to eat.. but sometimes I wonder if that is doing more damage???

Patience 05-20-2014 09:34 AM

Your subsequent sentences seems to contradict your first.
As I have read your posts it always seems to me that you are at a good weight; being content with your body sounds good to me. But you don't seem to be there, yet.
I wish you well, but perhaps you might reflect some on your lack of being content.
Would you really be content if you weighed 107?
Not easy stuff for sure, but thought I'd raise the question.

Peace 05-20-2014 01:09 PM

Thanks Patience. I appreciate your feedback. For me, as long as I can eat and not feel bloated,fatigue and consumed by food thoughts, I would be fine at any weight. I think I know my body probably can be fine with less food but not sure why I seem to keep eatingmore. Obviously, there is more to this puzzle.

Today: Body Pump 7-8. Weight/endurance class.

Breakfast- 1 egg and 2 whites.

10- grill chicken breast

230- salad with tuna ( 1/2 can) and then I had a small chicken breast.

Seriously, I totally could have skipped on lunch and been fine but ate anyways. I keep doing this. I would be content if I did not HAVE to eat at all. I am over it. Done. But, I think eating is suppose to be a basic need right????lolllll

sbarr 05-20-2014 01:54 PM

I know you have a lot of food issues - here's something else to try:

Think of food as fuel - put together a plan to fuel your body with nutrient rich foods. The more you force your body into starvation with a menu like above, the harder it will be to lose weight.

Skipping lunch - what would that have accomplished? Put your body more into starvation mode? Granted, the main message is: don't force yourself to eat - but, if you're going to start putting yourself into a <500 calorie day with negligible fat, then what are you accomplishing to feed your body/machine?

If someone is getting the right nutrients, skipping a meal is fine - but, in your scenario - you had 1 egg and 2 whites, then a grilled chicken breast (basically no fat) and then you want to deprive your body of a salad with tuna and another small chicken breast. Why? :console:

Please find ways to nourish your body - even a nutrient rich smoothie...

frteach 05-20-2014 02:39 PM

We often make food the enemy because we have struggled with weight loss. Food is a wonderful part of life and we need to change how we view food. Food is fuel so we can do all the great things we all do.

You need to eat to live. Enjoy food, just choose what you eat wisely. I agree that a little more fat might help you feel more satisfied when you eat, which will make you less likely to overeat or eat again too soon.

Peace 05-20-2014 03:15 PM

You guys are so supportive. I can't emphasize how much this means to me. I think you are right, I need to start changing my attitude from within.

I think a new attitude and just learning to enjoy food might help. I do have issues, not going to deny them but low carb and especially being in ketosis has actually helped me more than any other lifestyle.

frteach-- I don't think I have ever really struggled with weight loss until now. And.. I am actually starting to wonder if it is my body saying" hey, I like you at this weight and it is ok". I can honestly say from my heart that 99% of the time when I choose not to eat, it is because I just dont have any signs of hunger. It really has not much to do with wanting to be thinner. Sounds weird I know, but I WANT TO BE HUNGRY. I WANT TO LOVE FOOD AGAIN. I just told my friend that eating is so overrated-- she yelled at me to start eating MORE>...lol said what you guys tell me: EAT MORE FAT.

The ironic part of this whole thing is that I am not any less on the scale-- and I don't even think that is my true goal anymore. My goal is to enjoy food, but maybe I am not a food person. Perhaps, I am just one of those people who are programmed to focus on other things. Ah ha moment.

The scale says one thing, but here is my deal: 5'4. 115-117. Size 2 and maybe a 4 in some styles.
I think I get myself thinking "I HAVE TO EAT" because I struggled so long with not eating when I was younger. Now, I am wiser and older... I guess I need to let go of the old thoughts and just eat when I am hungry, stop when I am full. Sometimes, I just could not be bothered with it. Maybe this will change if I can start to enjoy my foods with some more fat.

A long process.

Also, I do think the probiotic might help and DE with food just sitting in my stomach.

Sbarr- you are correct- I cant survive on less than 500 cal a day and that is just not smart. Very rarely does that happen.. today was just an off day.

sbarr 05-20-2014 04:42 PM

OK - I was just a bit worried about you going so low and then thinking that would be a good day to skip a meal. You have to fuel that body! Nourish it!! I keep thinking that if you can get the mechanics of eating the right amounts of the right food, then you can relax and enjoy it!

It is a long process - life-long. We all have struggles - for me, it's nervous boredom eating, so I have to try to keep busy, so I don't go to the refrigerator 10+ times in an hour, open it, look at the contents and close it. I can literally do that 10 times in an hour - and sometimes twice without even leaving the kitchen in between! :o

Did you ever really love food? Reason I'm asking:

I WANT TO BE HUNGRY. I WANT TO LOVE FOOD AGAIN.

I think I get myself thinking "I HAVE TO EAT" because I struggled so long with not eating when I was younger.

Something doesn't add up here - and I can see the internal struggle here. :console:

When you were younger, were you a super-dieter on severe calorie restrictions? You come across as really feeling guilty about the food, like you're not controlling yourself enough. Or you can tell me to shaddup and stop playing pop-psychologist on the Internet :rolleyes:

Peace 05-20-2014 06:45 PM

Hi
Noope-- we are on the same page. I think I had a "moment" when I was in Whole Foods this evening.I really did not want food but went there to get some makeup- what I realized is that I hold back on EVERYTHING. I wanted to buy this lipstick so bad and I tried on some natural makeup which I felt so happy with, but would not buy it. I do this all the time. I am single, I work reallllyyyyy hard and I know it is ok to buy something pretty for myself, but I don't. And.. then I thought about how I do this with food as well.

So... in my clinical experience..lol, I know this is NOT about food. I actually felt so great walking around and not thinking about what to eat.

I was trying to remember when I felt most at peace with food and my life and guess what:

In vegas.. sleeping 9 hours a night, walking around window shopping and then reading at my condo. I ate low low carb, mod fat and stopped when I was full.

I was busy with people and being from NYC, I miss that. Sbarr--you really made me think about what is going on here.

I am living in Midwest, with hardly any shopping places. or I have already gone to them 100000 times. I don't even buy anything, I just like to walk around.

I went to Milwaukee on Sat just to see a new scene and hardly thought about what, when, how and where to eat. I felt free....

so: now that I know this: how the hell am I going to survive one more year in this program without losing my mind.

I need to just LIVE FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!! If one more person asks why I don't cook or why I am not married or have no kids... I might PUKE...lol. I need to embrace my life and if that means shopping for a 10 lipgloss and then eating a nice salad with salmon.. that is OK>>>>>

Younger days- I ate a lot all growing up but was wicked skinny! Burgers galore. Then, turned anorexic in highschool- weighed 90 lbs.. it was pretty rough. Now, I am finally at a healthy weight and need to just go with it.

Sometimes, I just need someone to PUSH me because I don't have the support from family and all friends are married with kids.. sigh!

Peace 05-20-2014 06:49 PM

my friend made me this paleo bread and it is low carb with almond butter but I feel like it is a trigger. And.. almond butter alone might be keeping the weight on me.

Think I should ditch them until I feel more confident in my plan???
I don't have to eat anything that doesn't make me feel good!!!

so what?? I am dairy and gluten free with my allergies- I need to start focusing on foods that make me feel vibrant and the almond stuff might be weighing me down!

Peace 05-20-2014 07:08 PM

Now that you have me talking. and getting all this out.

Almond butter and the nuts that I have been eating might be the reason why I feel yuck lately. When I stop eating them, I always feel better. So, just because my other friend keeps telling me to eat the almond butter and others on this plan can do it, does not mean I HAVE TO DO IT. I HAVE CONTROL over my choices of food. I don't HAVE to eat what everyone else is eating. DUH.... why didn't I realize this before? I am throwing away the almond butter and bread because it makes me feel gross and I can fill my body with nourishing items that make ME feel good. I like grass fed beef, tuna, all fish, olive oil, low carb veggies. Boom:))))

even my muscles and joint don't ache as much when I stay away from the nuts.

ANOTHER EPIPHANY:)

sbarr 05-21-2014 06:05 AM

Move back to NY - people don't ask those questions unless they're annoying relatives. I'm surprised that someone would have the nerve to ask why you're not married, don't have kids or don't cook.

So, you need to get through the next year until you can get back to civilization.

Sorry about the anorexia - I'm sure it's hard to get over the deep feelings about food.

For the nuts - maybe they're causing inflammation!

If food really doesn't bring you pleasure, then accept you're not a pleasure eater - but, you can use that to your advantage and treat food as fuel. More and more I think about it, you might really benefit from planning your food for the week, tweak it according to what you're comfortable with and then you eat according to your week's food plan. There are actually some popular diets that do just that - they tell you what to eat. My dad loved being on Jenny Craig, he didn't want to make choices, he just wanted to eat - maybe you can be your own Jenny, design your week and then just march to the plan! :up:

Peace 05-21-2014 06:15 AM

Yes. I really think a plan for the week will help! Ty. Going to do it today-- and I think I was overdoing it on the carbs with veggies and nuts! Especially the broccoli. Looking at my journal I definitely did more than 20 g on many days-- even tho lc veggies, it might have been throwing me off and I didn't realize how fast it adds up.

Not even thinking about the weight loss, but more health.., going to really monitor the carbs again to see if it makes a difference. 2 a day I eat. Cup if veggies and piece of meat. Done deal. Again... I was so wrapped up in busy life with school it never occurred to me that I was not following my heart and what my body wanted.

I luv lc and that is a good thing. I need to stop comparing to others who keep telling me to eat more carbs. Myob !!!!!! Lol

sbarr 05-21-2014 06:54 AM

Are you netting the fiber carbs out of the veggies?

earthcrosser 05-21-2014 07:04 AM

Can't add much but wanted to say...I know what it's like to focus on eating, especially when you're bored or unfulfilled. Keep telling yourself it's only temporary, and plan a special trip for yourself to get away from the same old same old from time to time.

Hang in there!

EricaHV 05-21-2014 07:21 AM

I am sorry you have such issues with food, peace. I understand what that is like. It sounds like you still suffer from tenancies of past eating disorders, and I think it is so easy not to eat in this WOE that I worry about resurrecting eating disorders I have recovered from. I find it so easy not to eat, that I have discussed with my husband that keto sometimes feels like gateway anorexia. I am sorry that you are going through this.

It is important to remember that not eating is not going to help your body.

As far as feeling bloated- nuts and dairy are a culprit for many, it looks like you pinpointed a few foods to try removing. I hope that helps you feel better.

Peace 05-21-2014 08:09 AM

Thanks everyone.

I was feeling better this morning until I stepped on the scale. 120. Fatty. Yup. I am gaining... when I am suppose to be losing.

The weird thing is that all my clothes fit just about the same and some are even bigger. I just "feel heavy".

I am hanging in there and determined to lose the weight. I just hope you guys are not sick of me yet.

Seriously, I am ready to give up... because I don't know what to eat or not eat.

Peace 05-21-2014 08:21 AM

sbarr- I was netting the fiber out of carbs but obviously that is not working as I am only fatter.

Not really sure what to do about it anymore.

sbarr 05-21-2014 08:24 AM

Stay off the scale for the rest of the week!!

Play with some menus for:

Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday

Your food tracker lets you plan future dates. Intellectually, you do know what to eat - you know your macros.

Here are some easy suggestions:

Egg salad - 2 eggs and 1 T. mayo
Avocado salad - any variation, even half an avocado with salsa
Chicken salad (that you can have on the side or even add to the top of a green salad)
Tuna salad with mayo - you can even smash a boiled egg in it
Bulletproof coffee or tea or variation
Smoothie - unlimited variety and can be very satisfying
Cup of yogurt
Cottage cheese
Cheese sticks
Peanut butter and celery
Lunch meat rollups with cheese or cream cheese

Maybe you can think of this like studying or school work - create a menu for the rest of the week and see how you do. Maybe when you're intellectually planning a meal, the food issue emotions might not be as prevalent...

sbarr 05-21-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace (Post 16917094)
sbarr- I was netting the fiber out of carbs but obviously that is not working as I am only fatter.

Not really sure what to do about it anymore.

This is one factor is many - I don't think the fiber in veggies is making you fatter!

soonergal76 05-21-2014 08:59 AM

Just an observation... I see that Peace is eating alot of protein and working out... maybe muscle tone is improving? Muscle does weigh more than fat. I might be off base... but that could account for 3 lbs. on the scale (but feeling the same). So can water retention though...

Peace 05-21-2014 09:00 AM

Hi

thanks sbarr. I appreciate your snack ideas.

however-- never dairy!! I cant do it- my ,lactose intolerance is pretty rough.

Also, no pb ( allergy) but, mayo is an option. I forgot about that for my tuna/chicken salad.

Yes, I am smart in many ways, so there has to be a reason why I am gaining weight. I just have not figured it out. Other than... I am analyzing too much. Yes. No more scale this week... I am going to focus on other things.

Going to get some chicken breasts that I can grill and out in small containers.

I bought a new probiotic and I feel so bloated with it. I wonder if that is the issue. Perhaps I should go back to my old one or just stay off them all together.

EricaHV 05-21-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soonergal76 (Post 16917144)
Just an observation... I see that Peace is eating alot of protein and working out... maybe muscle tone is improving? Muscle does weigh more than fat. I might be off base... but that could account for 3 lbs. on the scale (but feeling the same). So can water retention though...

That was my guess as well, that it is muscle gain. I have had times when I was not overweight that I lost inches but gained weight because of muscle.

snowangel9 05-21-2014 11:35 AM

Hi Peace. Sorry to hear things are still so rough and chaotic. I think sbarr has given you some awesome advice. Bloating and water retention can be caused by inflammation. If you look at how hard you work out, and how little you eat, of course you gain. Your body doesn't have the fuel it needs to do what you are asking. So, it's going to hold on to everything in order to survive.

Knowing about your past eating disorder what you've been going through makes a lot more sense. I hope you can find that place where you can eat what you like and as much or as little as you like. :hugs:

Peace 05-21-2014 08:27 PM

Snow and Angel-- thanks for the support once again. Today was better day!! I am learning that I need my exercise in the am or I am good for nothing.

I ended up working out tonight for 2 hours... but had a good day eating, IMO. Still much to tweak but at least I did not obsess over what will make me feel good or bad.

Peace 05-21-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthcrosser (Post 16916975)
Can't add much but wanted to say...I know what it's like to focus on eating, especially when you're bored or unfulfilled. Keep telling yourself it's only temporary, and plan a special trip for yourself to get away from the same old same old from time to time.

Hang in there!

Thanks.. I think you are right. I need to plan a trip in August. This will keep me moving forward.

sbarr 05-22-2014 04:36 AM

Where are you going in August?

Peace 05-22-2014 07:46 AM

Hi

I might come to NY or go to California... not sure which. I am going to start applying for teaching positions in the Fall, so I need to decide which coast I would like to go to... West is looking optional just because there are a lot of rehab schools there and it is warmer!!!

We will see.

EricaHV 05-22-2014 09:29 AM

California is beautiful! I lived in LA when I got my degree in fashion design! I miss it so much sometimes!

earthcrosser 05-22-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricaHV (Post 16918167)
California is beautiful! I lived in LA when I got my degree in fashion design! I miss it so much sometimes!

Agreed. I wish I had moved out there when I was young, but then things wouldn't have happened the way they did...I adore CA-especially southern CA. If I never ever saw snow again for the rest of my life I'd be perfectly happy. Sunny and 75 EVERY DAY sounds like heaven.

Peace 05-22-2014 11:05 AM

You guys rock. Ericka-- I have a degree in fashion design as well from FIT in NY-- now I am a rehab counselor/professor... how about that?

earth==== Luvv san diego and southern ca. Definitely made me smile just thinking of it.

Guess that answers my question! I am going to plan a trip in August. you guys are awesome.

Heaven would be for me to not feel bloated! lol

I am still so freaking confused about the probiotic- get it or not get it. I need to check the other thread because I posted on this earlier. It was moved though to the supplements category. -- Sorry administrator!!!!!!