Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   part time LCHF (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/831461-part-time-lchf.html)

HeyJules 05-20-2014 04:22 AM

part time LCHF

Is there such a thing? I mean for example 4 days a week eating <20g net carbs a day. 3x a week going up to 100g maximum a day?

I ask because as much as I enjoy most of the food on LCHF, I really do miss more vegetables and a little fruit. I have been LCHF at 20g a day for nearly 9 months and frankly and getting fed up with it. I'd love to be able to add in some more vegetables, fruit, even some legumes or tubers just 2/3 times a week. Is this something that anyone does? It seems that with LCHF it sort of has to be "all or nothing"..but why? I have 20lbs left to lose and just need to find a way of eating that I actually enjoy and still makes me lose weight.

Thanks in advance everyone :)

abuvia 05-20-2014 05:26 AM

I'm not an expert, by any means, but I do know that some LCers do a weekly carb night. I'm not sure of the guidelines for that. Also, my impression of the JUDDD plan is that it includes up and down days; you could look into that. I'm not sure if it's the same as JUDDD, but I've also seen books on "carb cycling," which you could find with a quick amazon search.

I would just say to monitor your body's reaction to any changes you make.

Good luck!

sbarr 05-20-2014 06:24 AM

Agree on JUDDD and carb cycling as options. You have to know yourself whether you have the discipline to go back to < 20 after a higher carb day - that would be the biggest issue here. There have been several discussions and posts about going back into ketosis after a higher carb meal or day. No consensus yet - some stay in ketosis, some bounce back quickly, some take longer - it's very individual.

What vegetables do you miss?
What fruit do you miss?
Are you netting carbs in fibrous veggies?
Do you test your blood ketones?

Couple of possible scenarios:

Perhaps, incrementally add a small amount, not going up to 100 carbs, but staying under 50-60 if you want to remain in ketosis? (somewhat like the Atkins approach of adding 5 carbs per week to figure out your carb threshold while you continue to lose).

Or, if you want to up your carbs, consider doing it 1 day a week, rather than 3 - and if you continue to lose eating higher carb 1 day a week for a month, then consider 2 days and then up to 3.

soonergal76 05-20-2014 08:32 AM

I have 1 day a month where I incorporate higher carbs into my diet. However, this last time I did this (Mother's Day), I stalled pretty bad and just now lost one pound from where I was before my stall. But it was me. That's the most I've gone off plan since I started. Every other time I did it, I was very moderate with what I ate... and it worked out okay. But, like everyone is telling you - it's individiual and no two people's bodies will react the same way.

backseatadventurer 05-20-2014 03:12 PM

Once your body is keto adapted (and after six months you are), you have more wriggle room with carbs. I agree with what everyone has said about slowly increasing your carb limit. It will give you far better feedback on your tolerance levels.

I've heard of people going to the paleo/primal diet for food ideas and then checking a GI guide to work out what to have regularly vs. on occasion. The only thing I'd add to that is to keep your past food history in mind. For example, if there are trigger foods, be cautious about them.

This is what I'd (ideally) like to do when I am at, or closer to my target weight. Whether it will work with my tendency to carb binge, I don't know. Hopefully my body will be learn to moderate itself :).

lovetoknit 05-20-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeyJules (Post 16915730)
Is there such a thing? I mean for example 4 days a week eating <20g net carbs a day. 3x a week going up to 100g maximum a day?

I ask because as much as I enjoy most of the food on LCHF, I really do miss more vegetables and a little fruit. I have been LCHF at 20g a day for nearly 9 months and frankly and getting fed up with it. I'd love to be able to add in some more vegetables, fruit, even some legumes or tubers just 2/3 times a week. Is this something that anyone does? It seems that with LCHF it sort of has to be "all or nothing"..but why? I have 20lbs left to lose and just need to find a way of eating that I actually enjoy and still makes me lose weight.

Thanks in advance everyone :)

If that is what you want to do, go ahead and do it. Try it to see if it works for you. Your plan has to be something you can live with.
Carolyn

clackley 05-21-2014 05:19 AM

Sou xs like you may like trying to move up the carb ladder as described in the Atkins program. It provides a logical methogy which should help prevent some of the pitfalls.