Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WishingWell
Really bad abdominal pain??

Hi all - been low-carbing on and off since last August, lost about 50 pounds so far and trying to lose 40 more. The past 6 weeks, I dropped carbs lower (to 20-30 net) because I had been stalling for awhile...and this has been working. Also increased my fat....but I haven't been good about counting calories or fat grams but I eat fat at every meal and think I'm averaging around 1500 cals. Some days maybe less. I'm 5'3", live in a studio apartment and work a desk job with a lot of overtime, so my activity is very minimal. I've been trying to fit in workouts 2 or 3 x week.

Anyway. So this past week, I went for a 30 minute walk/jog on Wednesday (it was humid and hilly). Beginning Wednesday night, I began to get reeeeally bad stomach pain. Mostly at night. It woke me up, and felt like really painful gnawing hunger pains. Never felt anything like it. So I ate something and went back to bed...but it continued every 30 minutes. The pain somewhat subsides during the day as long as I keep food in my stomach, but I still feel some discomfort/nausea. Then comes night and morning and the cycle repeats. The pain wakes me up and is so bad I'm almost doubled-over. Plumbing is working ok, no diarrhea issues...so I don't think it's a virus or food poisoning.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I read these could be symptoms of an ulcer.... or possibly hypoglycemia? Did I go too low in carbs. Or being in ketosis, is this a symptom that my body thinks I'm starving. If it's hypoglycemia I'm afraid to eat sugar and kick me out of ketosis. But obviously if the pain continues, I'll need to try that.

I'm going to the doctor this week but just curious if anyone felt anything similar.

Thank you all

Last edited by WishingWell; 05-17-2014 at 11:51 AM..
WishingWell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishingWell View Post
Hi all - been low-carbing on and off since last August, lost about 50 pounds so far and trying to lose 40 more. The past 6 weeks, I dropped carbs lower (to 20-30 net) because I had been stalling for awhile...and this has been working. Also increased my fat....but I haven't been good about counting calories or fat grams but I eat fat at every meal and think I'm averaging around 1500 cals. Some days maybe less. I'm 5'3", live in a studio apartment and work a desk job with a lot of overtime, so my activity is very minimal. I've been trying to fit in workouts 2 or 3 x week.

Anyway. So this past week, I went for a 30 minute walk/jog on Wednesday (it was humid and hilly). Beginning Wednesday night, I began to get reeeeally bad stomach pain. Mostly at night. It woke me up, and felt like really painful gnawing hunger pains. Never felt anything like it. So I ate something and went back to bed...but it continued every 30 minutes. The pain somewhat subsides during the day as long as I keep food in my stomach, but I still feel some discomfort/nausea. Then comes night and morning and the cycle repeats. The pain wakes me up and is so bad I'm almost doubled-over. Plumbing is working ok, no diarrhea issues...so I don't think it's a virus or food poisoning.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I read these could be symptoms of an ulcer.... or possibly hypoglycemia? Did I go too low in carbs. Or being in ketosis, is this a symptom that my body thinks I'm starving. If it's hypoglycemia I'm afraid to eat sugar and kick me out of ketosis. But obviously if the pain continues, I'll need to try that.

I'm going to the doctor this week but just curious if anyone felt anything similar.

Thank you all

It really sounds like a virus. Just go to the doctor and find out if there is something wrong. I eat very low carb and I do not have pain. I don't think it is as a result of that. If you add more carbs only add healthy carbs such as a little bit of berries or some cooked vegetables. You may be having heartburn. Do you know what that feels like? Or it could be acid reflux. Anyway your doctor will be able to find out what it is. My sister had a virus for a couple of weeks that did that to her. She could not believe how much pain she had from it.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishingWell View Post

Thank you all
I also want to add that my sister-in-law had a bacterial infection in which she felt like you do. She does not eat low carb. She said that she felt hungry all the time and did not feel well. She went to the doctor and they did a blood test that told the doctor what it was. He then put her on antibiotics for a few days, and that took care of it. I don't know what it was called. She could not remember the name.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
It really sounds like a virus. Just go to the doctor and find out if there is something wrong. I eat very low carb and I do not have pain. I don't think it is as a result of that. If you add more carbs only add healthy carbs such as a little bit of berries or some cooked vegetables. You may be having heartburn. Do you know what that feels like? Or it could be acid reflux. Anyway your doctor will be able to find out what it is. My sister had a virus for a couple of weeks that did that to her. She could not believe how much pain she had from it.
Carolyn
Thanks.

Definitely not heartburn or acid reflux...feels completely different. A few hours after I've eaten and I start to feel hungry again, the pain comes in waves and is really intense. I also feel it when I swallow food and feel it settling in my stomach.... the movement once it settles and moves around causes some of the same pain.

I'm now freaking out wondering if I have a tapeworm. I don't even know how you get that! Hopefully am just being a hypochondriac.

Anyway, I hope you're right and it's just a virus or infection that passes. Will head to doc asap...
Old 05-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
Do you eat a lot of dairy? Maybe it's lactose intolerance?
JohnAndHisCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Do you take a lot of advil, tylenol or anything like that? They can cause a peptic ulcer, which has those symptoms.
Mostly it's caused by a bacteria (I think) which is easily treated with antibiotics.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:45 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
That's what my ulcer felt like. Always felt better with food in my stomach, but the pain was a gnawing grinding pain that could wake me up from a sound sleep and make me cry.

Mine was not bacterial, unfortunately.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It could also be gall bladder stones. Intense pain in the abdomen was my main symptom for this. It did on occasion, last for days.

Let us know how you are doing?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndHisCat View Post
Do you eat a lot of dairy? Maybe it's lactose intolerance?
I do eat dairy, but not a lot. I've never had lactose issues in the past. And my plumbing is fine...no diarrhea or vomiting...the pain is different than that. It seems completely concentrated only in my stomach and when I feel hungry.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Do you take a lot of advil, tylenol or anything like that? They can cause a peptic ulcer, which has those symptoms.
Mostly it's caused by a bacteria (I think) which is easily treated with antibiotics.
I've thought about that. I take it when I need it, but haven't taken any recently...
Old 05-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
That's what my ulcer felt like. Always felt better with food in my stomach, but the pain was a gnawing grinding pain that could wake me up from a sound sleep and make me cry.

Mine was not bacterial, unfortunately.
Yikes... definitely could be this.

How do you live with it?
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
It could also be gall bladder stones. Intense pain in the abdomen was my main symptom for this. It did on occasion, last for days.

Let us know how you are doing?
Oyy... double yikes.

Thx..will do!