Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Annie411
Stats: 162/160/120 5'2
WOE: LCHF starting w/ Fat Fast
Start Date: May 2014
New to LCHF, when will I start losing??

Hi, I'm brand new to LCHF but have a good understanding of low carb. I've done intermittent fasting several times, aka "The One Day Diet" (protein waters one day, eat normally the next) but never stuck to a low carb diet for more than a couple of days due to the side effects.
I started the LCHF diet Tuesday (now Friday) and have stuck to it religiously. I haven't done a calculator, just now heard of it from another thread. I will do that soon, though. I've kept a food diary and I've actually been feeling great. Ketostix show purple.
My question is this..when will the weight loss begin? I've been reading that the weight loss is pretty dramatic. I started at 160 and the scale hasn't moved until this morning, one pound. I guess I thought it would be faster but if this is normal, I won't worry!
My mother is getting married on June 21st and I HAVE to lose some weight by then, ideally 15 pounds (Ha! Ideally 30, in a perfect world right?!). I considered Stillman's and got the book but it might be too restrictive for me.
Any advice? Thanks in advance
Annie411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Hi Annie - it varies. Often people who report huge losses early on have a hundred or more pounds to lose so you can't compare. This comparison almost always frustrates people.

You have been eating this way for 3 days so it's way too early to assess your rate of loss.

LC weight loss usually begins the first week - some people report 3-5# in the first week, but again, it varies. Please keep in mind this is mostly water weight - which is good, but is only the first step. Most people will not sustain the rate of loss from the first week for more than a few weeks, if that long - water weight is easily shed, fat loss takes time.

15# in a month isn't impossible, although it would be pretty high for someone at your current weight (that's assuming almost 4# per week). Often people lose 1-3# per week. Myself, I have been losing about 1.5-2 per week for a couple of months, and I have a lot more to lose than you do.

In order to comment on your food plan, we'd need to know your macros: carb, protein and fat grams. A good calculator is the "keto ankerl" one.

Main advice - use the the calculator to get your correct macros. Track your food carefully. Be patient!

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thanks so much for the advice!
I just looked up a macro calculator although I don't remember the ratios, I seem to remember reading something about 90% fat. I'm trying to stick with lowest possible carbs, moderate protein and high fat. I don't remember where I found the info, I was all set to do Stillman's then I saw LCHF on a post and decided at the last minute to do that instead. These message boards have been great, thanks again.
Btw I made lemon fat bombs last night and I could seriously eat those for every meal....so good!
Old 05-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

90% is too high - The 90% is probably referring to the "FAT FAST" which is very different. You can query that up in LCF and find out more about it.

Most common - I've seen 75% - 80% - you need to eat enough protein to "protect" or maintain your lean body mass. Otherwise, you could lose muscle when you lose weight.

Lemon fat bombs are tasty - I started with fat bombs for a while, but then got sidetracked into meat/veggie dishes with heavy sauces or cheese!
Old 05-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

sbarr, have you tried shiratake noodles? I just got some from Amazon and had fettucine with cheese sauce for lunch today. So good! If you like the sauces, you'd love this one. Let me know if you need a recipe, but I'm sure you probably have some great ones already. As far as the bombs, I never knew something so magical could exist in low carb land!! My non-LCHF coworkers have almost eaten them all.. I guess tastes change over time as we discover new things, I can totally see falling in lust with sauces after todays lunch.
I'm enjoying these message boards so much, I've been lurking for a couple of days and have pages and pages of ideas now. I know I can sustain this lifestyle now that I can access the collective brain of this website, and especially for the amazing support. Everyone posting seems to really want one another to succeed.
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Have a great day
Old 05-16-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

And yes, actually I think it was the fat fast I was trying to do. I will need to research that more, then definitely transition into LCHF for the long term.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

I just finished a meal with shirataki noodles before getting ready for my daughter's (talent? ) show tonight - I have started to include them almost daily.

Today I sautéed some asparagus and kielbasa (sometimes I use ham) and some mushrooms - add some Shirataki noodles and then put either a homemade Alfredo sauce or sometimes I top it with Trader Joe's Hollandaise. I've eaten so much asparagus in the past couple of months, I'm surprised I'm not green.

I'd love to hear your recipes - I'm finding that I can take a normally richer, more dense dish and spread it over two meals. I'm the queen of pyrex containers.

Another suggestion, something I just learned about in the past month, even though I've been LC off and on for 9 years is glucomannan pudding - it's so easy and versatile and almost a free food.

1 c. almond milk
1 T. cocoa powder
1/2-3/4 t. glucomannan
Sweetener to taste

Mix up with stick blender or some other mixer - I think you really need the power to get it smooth. I make 4 servings at a time with a full carton of unsweetened almond milk.

There's a thread of people sharing their meals for the day in this sub-forum and lots of great ideas. I also got some inspiration from the JUDDD forum when looking for some recipes that aren't so rich.

Look forward to hearing about your success - nutritional ketosis is new for me, but it's so satisfying and it is great to see regular progress. I'm down almost 20# in a little over 2 months. Not the #15 you're hoping for in the next month - but, respectable.

Cheers!

Last edited by sbarr; 05-16-2014 at 01:43 PM..
Old 05-16-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

lol! I've been to those 'talent' shows!
The only sauce I made so far was with the noodles I had today,

2oz shredded cheddar
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp whipped cream cheese

Mix with noodles and nuke, fini!
It was very good, almost disgustingly good..
I have not experimented further, I work 12 hour shifts and I'm too tired after work. My next day off is Monday but I plan to spend it in the kitchen. I will have to check out the recipe threads..

Btw, what is JUDDD?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:43 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

JUDDD is Johnson (?) Up Day Down Day - different approach where you basically shake up your diet by eating 500 calories one day and 2000 or so the next day. Lots of people find it effective. There is a sub-forum and I was interested to read through their down day recipes for some alternatives to the high fat recipes I've been cooking (when you're trying to limit calories to < 500 for the day, you can get pretty creative). Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the high fat, but sometimes I think it's nice to have something a bit lighter. I found a cucumber salad recipe and saved about 10 or 12 other ones in a word document for reference.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Sounds very interesting, I think I will go stalk a JUDDD thread for a bit and see whats up..
Old 05-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
You haven't tried low-carb if you haven't tried it for a least a month. Like you said there are side effects but they go away long-term.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
You haven't tried low-carb if you haven't tried it for a least a month. Like you said there are side effects but they go away long-term.

Is that so? I guess I'm heading that direction as I just completed my first week. I'm down 6 lbs so I'm feeling pretty positive now.

Thanks for the 411!
Old 05-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Good job, Annie... maybe you'll get close to the wedding goal! Fingers crossed for you!
Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Good job, Annie... maybe you'll get close to the wedding goal! Fingers crossed for you!
Thanks sbarr for your awesome support!! I will keep you posted