Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
What supplements do you take?

Apologies if there's already a thread here, but I searched and didn't find one.

I'm curious what supplements NKers take. I've seen many things recommended, so I'd like to know what you recommend, or perhaps what's been recommended by a health care provider who knows about NK.

I currently take a multi that seems to have everything under the sun, including iron, which I'm not sure I should be taking, since I eat more red meat than I used to. I also take L-carnitine.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
I take potassium
Liquid ionic magnesium
I also use magnesium oil
D3/K2 drops
Fish oil

And though not really a supplement, I just started using chia seeds, when I remember. Still new to them.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/124, 30"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Multivitamin
Calcium/Magnesium combo
Potassium
Vitamin E
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
You may want to rethink taking vitamin e several large studies have linked taking it to early death. The same can be said for vitamin a and beta carotine.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/207/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
i take men's multivitamin and fish oil - the oil that has the most good fat/concentrated..
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
calcium
multivitamin
Vitamin d (because I am low according to blood test)
flax seed oil
frteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soonergal76
Stats: 388/332/150
Start Date: 01/12/2014
I take Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin B12, Niacin, Fish Oil, Vitamin D3 and Vitamin C. Some of this was recommended by my doctor based on my blood work, etc.
soonergal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:11 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I mix it up but currently, this is my list of supplements:

salmon oil
probiotic
k2
d3
milk thistle
magnesium
b12
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcrosser View Post
Apologies if there's already a thread here, but I searched and didn't find one.

I'm curious what supplements NKers take. I've seen many things recommended, so I'd like to know what you recommend, or perhaps what's been recommended by a health care provider who knows about NK.

I currently take a multi that seems to have everything under the sun, including iron, which I'm not sure I should be taking, since I eat more red meat than I used to. I also take L-carnitine.
I quit taking supplements. They affect me negatively. Even cod liver oil caplets made my hair thin. I quit taking it and my hair is getting back to normal.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
None. I don't believe in supplements and think we should be able to get everything we need from food.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Emita
Stats: 115/101/95
WOE: LCHF (<30 total carbs)
Start Date: June 2013
AM: B1, B2, & B12, NAC, biotin, magnesium
PM: 5-HTP, magnesium, 2.5mg melatonin 30 min before bed.

I just began taking magnesium and just ordered "Krebs Magnesium-Potassium Chelates" from netrition, as I've noticed similar symptoms to my previous vitamin B1 deficiency after starting low-carb. I have TONS of salt in my diet and even add salt to my water sometimes. My tap water is softened with potassium chloride.

I can only assume that my extended duration muscle soreness after workouts, eye twitches, jaw tension, and afternoon lethargy are due to magnesium deficiency. My carbs are very low and I only consume nuts and other "high" b1/magnesium containing foods in smaller quantities on some days.

I take NAC and 5-htp for mood and metabolism - I was on prescription antidepressants for OCD for 9 years, and have replaced the drugs I hated with more effective supplements and diet.

melatonin helps my biological clock function to the minute - I never have to use an alarm clock and I wake up without the need for caffeine. It's cheap and has been shown to also have metabolic benefits in some studies.
Emita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Daily:

Multi-vit
Multi-B
B12 and Folic Acid combo
Fish Oil
Vit D
Vit C

As needed: Na, Mg and K

It might seem heaving on the B vitamins but I have a genetic deficiency.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri View Post
None. I don't believe in supplements and think we should be able to get everything we need from food.
In a perfect world, I would agree with you 100%.

My world is far from perfect and I have been obese for many years. That means that my nutrition was very poor and I believe my physiology has been damaged. For that reason, it is a good idea to supplement.

The other issue is that much of our foods are deficient as well. Magnesium is a good example. The soil has been over worked and is lacking and therefore so are the things that come from it and that becomes our food.

As a person who may not have suffered years and years of poor nutrition, you may do quite well without supplements. This is one of the great things about having discovered a low carb woe early! Only wish I had.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
How old are you earthcrosser?
I ask because if you are a woman and post menopausal, you wont adon't need the extra iron. Currently I take:

Daily: multi (without iron), calcium, postassium, sodium
Two or three times a week, I take fish or krill oil, magnesium
sometimes: L-carnanite, some extra A, C, or E, 5-htp
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:32 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post

My world is far from perfect and I have been obese for many years. That means that my nutrition was very poor and I believe my physiology has been damaged. For that reason, it is a good idea to supplement.

The other issue is that much of our foods are deficient as well. Magnesium is a good example. The soil has been over worked and is lacking and therefore so are the things that come from it and that becomes our food.

As a person who may not have suffered years and years of poor nutrition, you may do quite well without supplements. This is one of the great things about having discovered a low carb woe early! Only wish I had.
I agree, Cathy. I don't think I eat the proper foods to get things like Vitamin C, for instance, as I don't eat fruit and eat only green vegetables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
How old are you earthcrosser?
I ask because if you are a woman and post menopausal, you wont adon't need the extra iron. Currently I take:

Daily: multi (without iron), calcium, postassium, sodium
Two or three times a week, I take fish or krill oil, magnesium
sometimes: L-carnanite, some extra A, C, or E, 5-htp
I'm pre-menopausal, Patience. I turn 50 this year. I didn't realize the multi had iron it when I bought it-if I continue with a multi I will look for one without. I don't take any calcium but eat a fair amount of dairy, and I take extra D-3 as well. The reason I usually stick with a multi is I hate taking too many pills. The D I take is in liquid form.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post

I probably came off more anti-supplements than I intended.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions but I'm against the message that it's good for us all to be taking them, or that we SHOULD all be taking them. In my opinion majority of supplement purchases is throwing money out the window. A lot of people buy these things without having any symptoms or tests suggesting they lack something.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
I probably came off more anti-supplements than I intended.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions but I'm against the message that it's good for us all to be taking them, or that we SHOULD all be taking them. In my opinion majority of supplement purchases is throwing money out the window. A lot of people buy these things without having any symptoms or tests suggesting they lack something.
Understood and agree!
Old 05-19-2014, 03:26 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
This is really an interesting thread... I am really trying to stop supplements. I just cant stand them in general.

My only issue is the probiotic! I don't know if I should order it or not... such a waste of money but it does help with digestion.. ugh.

I am taking a b-complex, multivitamin, mag ( just started again) and vit c sometimes. And.. I also take HCL which helps to break down the protein.

What do you guys think?? Try to ditch the probiotic? 40 is a lot. I could buy food.
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Most low-carbers have plenty of meat so taking B-vitamins is kinda pointless if that's your case.

It's a good idea to get a blood test before buying these things.

There are so many things which can help with digestion. You can look into other things.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Is it good to take Magnesium? I read the bottle it says it could help more eficiency in burning fat and nervouse systems..
Old 05-20-2014, 07:01 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
I agree with this, and try to eat foods that will result in a nice range of nutrition, but I still do take supplements.

I take desiccated liver, Vitamin D, Magnesium and Potassium. I am not sure they are helpful- but I am pretty sure they do not hurt.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soonergal76
Stats: 388/332/150
Start Date: 01/12/2014
Quote:
I agree with you for the most part. But most of my supplements were recommended by my doctor.

I take Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin B12, Niacin, Fish Oil, Vitamin D3 and Vitamin C. Some of this was recommended by my doctor based on my blood work, etc.

The only thing he didn't recommend for me was the Fish Oil and Vitamin C.

For whatever reason, he saw a need for me to take Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin B12, Niacin and Vitamin D3.
soonergal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I personally think multivitamins are a waste of money. They have a little of this and a little of that, but not enough to make a difference. I think supplements that target certain deficiencies, do work with the proper dosage and absorption.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:34 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
I personally think multivitamins are a waste of money. They have a little of this and a little of that, but not enough to make a difference. I think supplements that target certain deficiencies, do work with the proper dosage and absorption.
I'm starting to think this way too. I am going to do a little more research and see what is recommended for low carbers by some of the medical professionals/experts. I have read that fish oil and vitamin C are good, and there seems to be a common thread with magnesium and potassium and D. I think I'm getting to much B complex (skin reaction the day after I take it) and don't need iron.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Another quick question: what is the proper formulation of magnesium? I see different ones-chelated, glynicate, magnesium oxide, malate, etc.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcrosser View Post
Another quick question: what is the proper formulation of magnesium? I see different ones-chelated, glynicate, magnesium oxide, malate, etc.
I'm taking liquid ionic magnesium and I'm also using mag oil. There is a very long thread in the Playground that explains about both.

I've read that it can take up to 6 mos to replete mag levels (if deficient). I've been taking it since the end of Feb. and within the last month I've had an incredible upsurge of energy. I bounce out of bed and get things done. I can't remember the last time I felt so energized. I'm talking years and years, if ever.

I don't know if it's all due to magnesium. It could just be a combo of all the things I'm eating and doing to improve my health, but I can tell you this.....no one is taking my magnesium away.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
I'm taking liquid ionic magnesium and I'm also using mag oil. There is a very long thread in the Playground that explains about both.

I've read that it can take up to 6 mos to replete mag levels (if deficient). I've been taking it since the end of Feb. and within the last month I've had an incredible upsurge of energy. I bounce out of bed and get things done. I can't remember the last time I felt so energized. I'm talking years and years, if ever.

I don't know if it's all due to magnesium. It could just be a combo of all the things I'm eating and doing to improve my health, but I can tell you this.....no one is taking my magnesium away.
Thanks for the input. My energy levels are pretty low right now, and I'm not sure why-could be any number of things. I was wondering if adding supplements would help. I will check out that thread.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread:

A good documentary on vitamins:

Good documentary on vitamins
Old 05-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Sorry not trying to hijack the thread:

A good documentary on vitamins:

Good documentary on vitamins
No worries-thanks!!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

bought a giant bottle of magnesium.... so now i take 5 pills- 2 multi, 2 magnesium and 1 fishoil...