Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   What supplements do you take? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/831023-what-supplements-do-you-take.html)

earthcrosser 05-14-2014 09:04 AM

What supplements do you take?

Apologies if there's already a thread here, but I searched and didn't find one.

I'm curious what supplements NKers take. I've seen many things recommended, so I'd like to know what you recommend, or perhaps what's been recommended by a health care provider who knows about NK.

I currently take a multi that seems to have everything under the sun, including iron, which I'm not sure I should be taking, since I eat more red meat than I used to. I also take L-carnitine.

grneyedldy 05-14-2014 10:49 AM

I take potassium
Liquid ionic magnesium
I also use magnesium oil
D3/K2 drops
Fish oil

And though not really a supplement, I just started using chia seeds, when I remember. Still new to them.

abuvia 05-14-2014 06:00 PM

Multivitamin
Calcium/Magnesium combo
Potassium
Vitamin E

E.W. 05-14-2014 06:21 PM

You may want to rethink taking vitamin e several large studies have linked taking it to early death. The same can be said for vitamin a and beta carotine.

shaselai 05-14-2014 08:50 PM

i take men's multivitamin and fish oil - the oil that has the most good fat/concentrated..

frteach 05-15-2014 06:50 AM

calcium
multivitamin
Vitamin d (because I am low according to blood test)
flax seed oil

soonergal76 05-15-2014 01:16 PM

I take Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin B12, Niacin, Fish Oil, Vitamin D3 and Vitamin C. Some of this was recommended by my doctor based on my blood work, etc.

clackley 05-17-2014 07:11 AM

I mix it up but currently, this is my list of supplements:

salmon oil
probiotic
k2
d3
milk thistle
magnesium
b12

lovetoknit 05-17-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthcrosser (Post 16910021)
Apologies if there's already a thread here, but I searched and didn't find one.

I'm curious what supplements NKers take. I've seen many things recommended, so I'd like to know what you recommend, or perhaps what's been recommended by a health care provider who knows about NK.

I currently take a multi that seems to have everything under the sun, including iron, which I'm not sure I should be taking, since I eat more red meat than I used to. I also take L-carnitine.

I quit taking supplements. They affect me negatively. Even cod liver oil caplets made my hair thin. I quit taking it and my hair is getting back to normal.
Carolyn

Mr_Geiri 05-18-2014 04:55 PM

None. I don't believe in supplements and think we should be able to get everything we need from food.

Emita 05-18-2014 05:04 PM

AM: B1, B2, & B12, NAC, biotin, magnesium
PM: 5-HTP, magnesium, 2.5mg melatonin 30 min before bed.

I just began taking magnesium and just ordered "Krebs Magnesium-Potassium Chelates" from netrition, as I've noticed similar symptoms to my previous vitamin B1 deficiency after starting low-carb. I have TONS of salt in my diet and even add salt to my water sometimes. My tap water is softened with potassium chloride.

I can only assume that my extended duration muscle soreness after workouts, eye twitches, jaw tension, and afternoon lethargy are due to magnesium deficiency. My carbs are very low and I only consume nuts and other "high" b1/magnesium containing foods in smaller quantities on some days.

I take NAC and 5-htp for mood and metabolism - I was on prescription antidepressants for OCD for 9 years, and have replaced the drugs I hated with more effective supplements and diet.

melatonin helps my biological clock function to the minute - I never have to use an alarm clock and I wake up without the need for caffeine. It's cheap and has been shown to also have metabolic benefits in some studies.

backseatadventurer 05-18-2014 11:47 PM

Daily:

Multi-vit
Multi-B
B12 and Folic Acid combo
Fish Oil
Vit D
Vit C

As needed: Na, Mg and K

It might seem heaving on the B vitamins but I have a genetic deficiency.

clackley 05-19-2014 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri (Post 16914352)
None. I don't believe in supplements and think we should be able to get everything we need from food.

In a perfect world, I would agree with you 100%.

My world is far from perfect and I have been obese for many years. That means that my nutrition was very poor and I believe my physiology has been damaged. For that reason, it is a good idea to supplement.

The other issue is that much of our foods are deficient as well. Magnesium is a good example. The soil has been over worked and is lacking and therefore so are the things that come from it and that becomes our food.

As a person who may not have suffered years and years of poor nutrition, you may do quite well without supplements. This is one of the great things about having discovered a low carb woe early! Only wish I had.

Patience 05-19-2014 05:43 AM

How old are you earthcrosser?
I ask because if you are a woman and post menopausal, you wont adon't need the extra iron. Currently I take:

Daily: multi (without iron), calcium, postassium, sodium
Two or three times a week, I take fish or krill oil, magnesium
sometimes: L-carnanite, some extra A, C, or E, 5-htp

earthcrosser 05-19-2014 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16914637)

My world is far from perfect and I have been obese for many years. That means that my nutrition was very poor and I believe my physiology has been damaged. For that reason, it is a good idea to supplement.

The other issue is that much of our foods are deficient as well. Magnesium is a good example. The soil has been over worked and is lacking and therefore so are the things that come from it and that becomes our food.

As a person who may not have suffered years and years of poor nutrition, you may do quite well without supplements. This is one of the great things about having discovered a low carb woe early! Only wish I had.

I agree, Cathy. I don't think I eat the proper foods to get things like Vitamin C, for instance, as I don't eat fruit and eat only green vegetables.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patience (Post 16914650)
How old are you earthcrosser?
I ask because if you are a woman and post menopausal, you wont adon't need the extra iron. Currently I take:

Daily: multi (without iron), calcium, postassium, sodium
Two or three times a week, I take fish or krill oil, magnesium
sometimes: L-carnanite, some extra A, C, or E, 5-htp

I'm pre-menopausal, Patience. I turn 50 this year. I didn't realize the multi had iron it when I bought it-if I continue with a multi I will look for one without. I don't take any calcium but eat a fair amount of dairy, and I take extra D-3 as well. The reason I usually stick with a multi is I hate taking too many pills. The D I take is in liquid form.

Mr_Geiri 05-19-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16914637)

I probably came off more anti-supplements than I intended.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions but I'm against the message that it's good for us all to be taking them, or that we SHOULD all be taking them. In my opinion majority of supplement purchases is throwing money out the window. A lot of people buy these things without having any symptoms or tests suggesting they lack something.

clackley 05-19-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri (Post 16915042)
I probably came off more anti-supplements than I intended.

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions but I'm against the message that it's good for us all to be taking them, or that we SHOULD all be taking them. In my opinion majority of supplement purchases is throwing money out the window. A lot of people buy these things without having any symptoms or tests suggesting they lack something.

:shake:Understood and agree!

Peace 05-19-2014 03:26 PM

This is really an interesting thread... I am really trying to stop supplements. I just cant stand them in general.

My only issue is the probiotic! I don't know if I should order it or not... such a waste of money but it does help with digestion.. ugh.

I am taking a b-complex, multivitamin, mag ( just started again) and vit c sometimes. And.. I also take HCL which helps to break down the protein.

What do you guys think?? Try to ditch the probiotic? 40 is a lot. I could buy food.

Mr_Geiri 05-19-2014 03:36 PM

Most low-carbers have plenty of meat so taking B-vitamins is kinda pointless if that's your case.

It's a good idea to get a blood test before buying these things.

There are so many things which can help with digestion. You can look into other things.

shaselai 05-20-2014 06:26 AM

Is it good to take Magnesium? I read the bottle it says it could help more eficiency in burning fat and nervouse systems..

EricaHV 05-20-2014 07:01 AM

Quote:

I agree with this, and try to eat foods that will result in a nice range of nutrition, but I still do take supplements.

I take desiccated liver, Vitamin D, Magnesium and Potassium. I am not sure they are helpful- but I am pretty sure they do not hurt.

soonergal76 05-20-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

I agree with you for the most part. But most of my supplements were recommended by my doctor.

I take Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin B12, Niacin, Fish Oil, Vitamin D3 and Vitamin C. Some of this was recommended by my doctor based on my blood work, etc.

The only thing he didn't recommend for me was the Fish Oil and Vitamin C.

For whatever reason, he saw a need for me to take Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamin B12, Niacin and Vitamin D3.

grneyedldy 05-20-2014 09:18 AM

I personally think multivitamins are a waste of money. They have a little of this and a little of that, but not enough to make a difference. I think supplements that target certain deficiencies, do work with the proper dosage and absorption.

earthcrosser 05-20-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grneyedldy (Post 16916094)
I personally think multivitamins are a waste of money. They have a little of this and a little of that, but not enough to make a difference. I think supplements that target certain deficiencies, do work with the proper dosage and absorption.

I'm starting to think this way too. I am going to do a little more research and see what is recommended for low carbers by some of the medical professionals/experts. I have read that fish oil and vitamin C are good, and there seems to be a common thread with magnesium and potassium and D. I think I'm getting to much B complex (skin reaction the day after I take it) and don't need iron.

earthcrosser 05-20-2014 11:15 AM

Another quick question: what is the proper formulation of magnesium? I see different ones-chelated, glynicate, magnesium oxide, malate, etc.

grneyedldy 05-20-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earthcrosser (Post 16916233)
Another quick question: what is the proper formulation of magnesium? I see different ones-chelated, glynicate, magnesium oxide, malate, etc.

I'm taking liquid ionic magnesium and I'm also using mag oil. There is a very long thread in the Playground that explains about both.

I've read that it can take up to 6 mos to replete mag levels (if deficient). I've been taking it since the end of Feb. and within the last month I've had an incredible upsurge of energy. I bounce out of bed and get things done. I can't remember the last time I felt so energized. I'm talking years and years, if ever.

I don't know if it's all due to magnesium. It could just be a combo of all the things I'm eating and doing to improve my health, but I can tell you this.....no one is taking my magnesium away. ;)

earthcrosser 05-20-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grneyedldy (Post 16916251)
I'm taking liquid ionic magnesium and I'm also using mag oil. There is a very long thread in the Playground that explains about both.

I've read that it can take up to 6 mos to replete mag levels (if deficient). I've been taking it since the end of Feb. and within the last month I've had an incredible upsurge of energy. I bounce out of bed and get things done. I can't remember the last time I felt so energized. I'm talking years and years, if ever.

I don't know if it's all due to magnesium. It could just be a combo of all the things I'm eating and doing to improve my health, but I can tell you this.....no one is taking my magnesium away. ;)

Thanks for the input. My energy levels are pretty low right now, and I'm not sure why-could be any number of things. I was wondering if adding supplements would help. I will check out that thread. :):)

Mr_Geiri 05-20-2014 11:46 AM

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread:

A good documentary on vitamins:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vi...-vitamins.html

earthcrosser 05-20-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Geiri (Post 16916260)
Sorry not trying to hijack the thread:

A good documentary on vitamins:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vi...-vitamins.html

No worries-thanks!!

shaselai 05-21-2014 11:42 AM

bought a giant bottle of magnesium.... so now i take 5 pills- 2 multi, 2 magnesium and 1 fishoil...