Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Metabolism

Does low carn and ketogenic diets increase metabolism? I know they help to lose weight but someone told me they can actually damage your metabolism ?? I don't believe it though
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/126, 30.25"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
That's not my understanding. They may have been referring to a "fat fast," which are controversial. Personally, I think fat fasts are fine, too, in moderation.
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
There are many well cited sources that show this is not the case. If you google the topic, you'll find quite a bit of information.

I'm not sure who told you, the person's experiences or credentials, but you will find hundreds of people here who will say that eating low carb is sustainable.

The damaged metabolism is more prevalent with ultra low calorie diets - because, the body is being STARVED and must adapt. In this case, since the body is being starved, it must adapt to lower energy sources to survive. There are some references about Holocast survivor diets.

If you are eating a well-rounded diet with adequate protein and fat, then your body's needs are being met.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote