Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
What to eat when you cannot absolutely cook

My home is full of extended family,they will be around for another couple months.They are not low carb at all,and eat a lot of starches.There are some 5+ kids under age 4 including mine.All kids are sick.Home is super stressful now complete with MIL bossing us around LOL.

My plan has gone out of the window,I gained 13 pounds in 3 weeks,cannot go the gym bcoz kid is sick.I want to get back on track.

I start every morning with good intentions,0 cravings,hwc coffee twice and I am good for hours.Then afternoon hits,and I am eating everything in sight,esp with a clingy sick wailing two year old on my hips.

Whatever I manage to cook is gone in a matter of 2 hours,including non veg items.I need practical tips on how to manage this irky situation.I tried keeping a few hard boiled eggs on hand,but what else can I do when hunger strikes?
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/129.5, 32"/125 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
I make a lot of bacon 1-2 times/week. When I get hungry I crumble a slice over 1/2 an Avacado and eat it with a spoon right out if the peel... Yum!

Also: macadamia nuts, tea with coconut oil or HWC, cheese...

Good luck!
abuvia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BaconLover
Stats: 310/283/210
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: In between stresses--restart after house sells.
A spoonful of cream cheese, a slice of cheddar, some chocolate fat bombs in the fridge, beef jerky, pork rinds (not very creative, but very handy).

You can also make a large pot of chicken soup with noodles/pasta cooked separate. For the kiddos or everyone else, take a bowl of noodles and pour chicken soup over. That way you can just have the chicken soup, and my family likes that the noodles are not soggy.

I've got twin 19-month olds at home with me, so I don't really get "meals" during the day except for breakfast and dinner.
BaconLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soonergal76
Stats: 388/338/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 01/12/2014
When I can't cook, I eat almonds, pecans or macadamia nuts... or sugar free peanut butter... or cottage cheese or other cheese... black olives... pickles... there's lots of things you can find that will help you out. Hope it gets better for you.
soonergal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
What about making gluc pudding - you could even share it with the children.

1 c. almond milk
1 T. cocoa powder
1/2 - 3/4 t. glucomannan powder
Sweetener

Other ideas - egg casserole or frittata - almost unlimited what you can add (5 minute prep and 30 minute cooking) and this is something that anyone in the family could eat.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Sounds like you need to make yourself something no one else likes! I feel so bad for you, stuck in the house with sick kids AND relatives. Ugh.

Tuna always works for me, along with hard boiled eggs and things like cold cuts (salami and turkey, rolled up with cheese), and string cheese is a go to for me too.

As for the family...if they are ok with leftovers, make a big pot of pasta. If you add sauce or oil to it before refrigerating, it should last a couple days, and it can be re-heated in the microwave.

Good luck!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Sauteed spinach

I love spinach, but it's not an attractive food
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
My home is full of extended family,they will be around for another couple months.They are not low carb at all,and eat a lot of starches.There are some 5+ kids under age 4 including mine.All kids are sick.Home is super stressful now complete with MIL bossing us around LOL.

My plan has gone out of the window,I gained 13 pounds in 3 weeks,cannot go the gym bcoz kid is sick.I want to get back on track.

I start every morning with good intentions,0 cravings,hwc coffee twice and I am good for hours.Then afternoon hits,and I am eating everything in sight,esp with a clingy sick wailing two year old on my hips.

Whatever I manage to cook is gone in a matter of 2 hours,including non veg items.I need practical tips on how to manage this irky situation.I tried keeping a few hard boiled eggs on hand,but what else can I do when hunger strikes?
I like pepperoni, boiled eggs, cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, cream in my coffee. I eat sour cream on a boiled egg. It is very yummy. When I eat cheese, I limit it to one slice. If you can handle vegetables, try salad with some sort of protein, and high fat, low carb dressing or just olive oil and vinegar. Also if you can eat vegetables, celery with cream cheese on it is very good. If you are hungry, I would say that you are eating too many carbs. Also stress and lack of sleep can make you think that you are hungry, because you need more energy. Add extra fat to your diet. Have more coffee with cream.
Carolyn

Last edited by lovetoknit; 05-14-2014 at 08:44 AM..
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/127/120
WOE: JUDDD + <20g carb
I cook 1kg of ground beef + 3 chopped onions + 250g of chopped mushrooms and keep it in the fridge. When I need a bite to eat, microwave and enjoy. You can slice up zucchini and put it on top when you microwave the beef and it steams it.
kwerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/207/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
what about breakfast sausage patties and eggs? takes maybe 6 minutes to cook?
or put in oven some sausage links ~220 cal each it is pretty good
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

thx for the ideas.anything that I will cook won't make it to the fridge.

so I am looking for foods that are not appetizing for most High carb eaters.so far cold cuts are fine.

I am just yearning for normal life again.

normally I don't let my fmly keep my trigger foods around(chicken nuggets,crackers,cashews,desserts) but now I cannot say a word.

Thx for letting me vent.Today TOM visited so finally maybe the cravings will settle for better.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Macadamia nuts and cheeses!
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
I think I would just run away from home. I can't imagine. I feel for you.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Make liver, they won't touch it with a ten foot pole!

How about quest bars and protein powder to make shakes for yourself?
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
I recently had an issue with a friend who is staying with me. A lot of advice when I posted it here, was to lay some boundaries. With family this can be tricky but perhaps you should give it a go? The constant raiding of your fridge has to stop. I hope they are contributing to the food bill in the very least?

Beyond that, maybe think of things in terms of meals, rather than just food? BPC for breakfast may be a good idea because it's easy to make and most people wouldn't be interested. Cold cuts, boiled eggs, macadamia nuts etc. for lunch as they are quick and easy and a dinner that is low carb but easily dressed up for the family?

If that's not possible then maybe consider making hidden stashes of low carb preserved foods? Or and keeping things on ice hidden away?

I hope things improve soon!
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/207/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
Quote:
thx for the ideas.anything that I will cook won't make it to the fridge.

so I am looking for foods that are not appetizing for most High carb eaters.so far cold cuts are fine.

I am just yearning for normal life again.

normally I don't let my fmly keep my trigger foods around(chicken nuggets,crackers,cashews,desserts) but now I cannot say a word.

Thx for letting me vent.Today TOM visited so finally maybe the cravings will settle for better.
what about a salad? Whip up some lettuce/cabbage + sour cream + guac/avocado + shredded cheese + favorite protein. Low carb and maybe the kids will run away from the word salad?
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

It has come to if I ever stand in the kitchen,I am required to cook this and that for every person.I don't get a minute to whip something for myself.Those who still suggest I cook my staples have no idea how life is with little kids screaming your heads off.DH works in another state and I have to manage all these in -laws, who strangely claims they cannot cook for various reasons.
Anyway I have figured out the hard way that organic meat,nuts and LC products are way too expensive to share.I plan on surviving on cold cuts and cheeses and HWC.
yes the lack of sleep and stress contributes to the overeating.Its a bummer that I am hungry more,so I make bad decisions.
Today is day 1.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:29 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
At home when I am busy and can not cook I eat

- pre-roasted chicken (cold)
-avocados
-sardines
-pre-boiled eggs
-pepperoni
-some cheese
-coffee with butter or coconut oil
-brazil or mac nuts
-just salad greens out of the container
-pickles
-sauerkraut

I am going out of town this weekend for a game and may not be able to keep food too cold or warm it up so I plan to bring some mac/brazil nuts, mixed greens, boiled eggs and sardines
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frogg
Stats: 220/154/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2013
If the in-laws can't cook then they can watch the kids while you do!
frogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Or better yet, show some independence and go out to ******* eat.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

How long is this going to go on?

I think it's time to get some control back over here. Suggestions:

1. Chore chart--EVERYONE can do something.
2. Contributions to grocery costs and/or pitching in by buying groceries.
3. Everyone is on their own for breakfast and lunch (parents take care of their own kids). If all they can do is pour themselves a bowl of cereal or make a peanut butter sandwich, then so be it.
4. You will cook 5 dinners a week. Cook's choice (if they don't like your choice, then they can cook instead). You will have two nights "off" and they are on their own. They can call in a pizza, get Chinese takeout, go out, or anything else, but you will not be cooking for THEM (OK to cook for yourself).
5. Designate a shelf in the pantry and a space in the fridge that is YOURS. Nobody may touch your food-if they do they must immediately go out to the store and replace it.
6. Stock simple snacks so everyone can help themselves--apples and bananas, celery and carrots with some dip, wheat thins. That's it. People are on their own if they want other snacks. They may NOT touch your snacks on your special shelf!

Anyone who leaves a mess and doesn't clean up has to do ALL the cleaning up the next day.

Anyone who doesn't like the rules is welcome to leave.

If you try to be nice and have everyone like you, they'll drive you to an early grave. Remember, nobody can take advantage of you unless you LET them.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: where's_kyla?
Stats: 208/not sure, think im down about 20/175 - 5'10"
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Jan. 11, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post

3. Everyone is on their own for breakfast and lunch (parents take care of their own kids). If all they can do is pour themselves a bowl of cereal or make a peanut butter sandwich, then so be it.
4. You will cook 5 dinners a week. Cook's choice (if they don't like your choice, then they can cook instead). You will have two nights "off" and they are on their own. They can call in a pizza, get Chinese takeout, go out, or anything else, but you will not be cooking for THEM (OK to cook for yourself).
5. Designate a shelf in the pantry and a space in the fridge that is YOURS. Nobody may touch your food-if they do they must immediately go out to the store and replace it.
6. Stock simple snacks so everyone can help themselves--apples and bananas, celery and carrots with some dip, wheat thins. That's it. People are on their own if they want other snacks. They may NOT touch your snacks on your special shelf!

Anyone who leaves a mess and doesn't clean up has to do ALL the cleaning up the next day.

If you try to be nice and have everyone like you, they'll drive you to an early grave. Remember, nobody can take advantage of you unless you LET them.
WOOHOO!!! well said!! Lowcarbella, even if you do HALF of these things youre ahead!!!
where's_kyla? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Janknitz, Thx for the rules chart,I will definitely start on at least some of them.
One family is with us bcoz they lost their job,and I don't want to be harsh on an already difficult time.MIL though very bossy and intolerant ,is with us for 1 more week only.She has dietary restrictions and is too frail to cook(above 75).
It is difficult for me to say no,something I always struggled with.

However today wasn't too bad.I ate only on plan items,but I had a huge appetite and ate larger portions.Still was hungry late afternoon.Hopefully appetite suppression will happen soon.

Thx for tips everyone.I need to save this thread.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:49 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post

This is fantastic. Can you come to my house?

Good for you for the good day, lowcarbella! Keep it up.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

yesterday I ate only on plan items ,but had great hunger pangs I haven't had in years.

Today though,looks like the appetite is going down.

So far had HWC and coffee,younger kid finally off to school,and I am taking off for today(from the kitchen).I need to sit down and come up with a new plan for eating and workouts.

I was around 173 during Easter week and yesterday weighed 189!!!! 16 pound gain!!!
This is unacceptable.All my hard work of months gone in just 3 weeks.

I am planning to cook some fish and beef tonight,or maybe buy some pre-cooked chicken.I will know only when I go shopping.Cold cuts were the saving grace at this time.

Once again,thx for all the support everyone.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Glad to hear you're getting things under control. Your health and well-being is important, too. Sounds like the unemployed people could prepare meals for MIL on your "days off".

I KNOW it seems easier to do things yourself than to ask others to pull their weight, but you are really doing them (and yourself) no favors. As they get more and more into the dependent role, depression increases and they are less and less able to pull themselves together to look for work and present well when interviewing.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcrosser View Post
Tuna always works for me, along with hard boiled eggs and things like cold cuts (salami and turkey, rolled up with cheese), and string cheese is a go to for me too.
ditto the tuna ... not that you have time to shop for it but Italian groceries usually have a brand called Calippo which is in olive oil ... we had a power outage during the dead of winter and I got by fine with 2 tins / day (and a bottle of red wine LOL)

Good luck!!
Sharvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LESESKI
When I can not cook I eat,
boiled eggs (you can find them at Walmart already cooked)
tuna,
lunch meat,
cheese sticks
pickles
salad,
celery
sliced cucumber
strawberries
almonds
avocado

I also keep Atkins frozen meals in the freezer for extreme emergencies.
LESESKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
I was around 173 during Easter week and yesterday weighed 189!!!! 16 pound gain!!! This is unacceptable.All my hard work of months gone in just 3 weeks.
You have my sympathy...I simply cannot go off plan without a 5-lb weight gain per week. Since the original post was in early May, I hope by now you've been able to get back on plan and get the family corralled a bit. Helping out a family in difficulty is good; allowing them to derail your life along the way is not. You have the right to set boundaries. If you really have problems keeping them out of your LC supplies, keep some of it in your bedroom.

One thing I wanted to add to the list is protein shakes. They're fast and easy and go a long way towards controlling hunger - especially if you can add glucomannan. Bullet-proof coffee is another good one - you'll get comments about how "weird" it is, but it gives you a good shot of energy in no time.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Perhaps you can sit down with the in-laws and figure out a list of things that they like to eat that are on-plan for you, too. When I was vegetarian and my husband was not, I planned a meal that would be my main dish and his side dish, then cooked him a meat to go with it. That worked without me having to make two completely separate meals.

Even if you can only agree on two or three main dishes (roast chicken, scrambled eggs, beef stew), you will have those three things in common. Then cook those as the main dish for dinner, with starchy sides for those that want them. And you don't have to do short-order cooking for each person.

Things we've done in our mixed low-carb household:
  • Make your own pizza nigt: each person gets a quarter or half a pizza to top as they like. I eat my toppings separately.
  • Big pot of chili or stew made with low-carb veggies: they can add beans or cooked potatoes if they want them
  • Kabobs (did this for Memorial Day): meat and veggies on skewers, grilled. Cabbage salad (for all) and garlic bread (for carb-eaters).
  • Roast chicken: I make veggies for me, and hubbie gets rice and veggies.
  • Taco night: People make their own, mine was taco toppings over salad greens

Last edited by synger; 05-27-2014 at 07:59 AM..
synger is offline   Reply With Quote