Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessworth
Stats: 262/252/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 03/05/2014
Track food everyday?

I was wondering if you all track your food everyday. I don't anymore. I find many days I eat the same things. Like everyday I have 2 eggs scrambled with HWC and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese with either bacon, ham or pork roll. Then I have one of about four meals for lunch and the same with dinner. I feel like I have tracked the same meals/days so many times that I know what my macros are. If I have a different meal, I will enter that to see what the meal looks like.

Just curious if anyone else feels like this, or if I'm just really boring with what I eat.
jessworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
I do, just because it keeps me honest. I will make myself believe I can eat more than I really should if I don't have those hard numbers to keep me honest. That is just the way my brain works.

I have an app on my phone that makes it easy to track. If you eat the same meal on different days, you can put that in with just a click or two.
frteach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/120, 30"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
I still do, but am a SAHM right now and can make time to cook. Plus, I try to eat dinner with my family. So, I'm not repeating many meals. When I get back to work and have less time to cook and meal plan I expect I'll eat more repetitively and may stop tracking.

Like frteach, I find tracking keeps me honest with snacks and such. I even log the free cheese samples I eat at the grocery store on the weekend. Sometimes, I have to adjust my dinner plans if I've had more carbs or protein than expected early in the day.
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Yes, I do - every day, even when it's the same for several days. I have started to do a lot more cooking and my food tracker allows me to combine the ingredients to make a "meal" and then I can portion the total meal - say: .2 or .25 each day. Sometimes I have to tweak the meals based on ingredients, but I enter them on days that are months before I start tracking.

For an eat the same day - maybe 30 seconds, copy over breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. I also use it to model what I might eat the next day if I add something new.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bryce58
Stats: 273/233/176
WOE: LCHF/keto
Start Date: February 2014
I don't think you are boring with what you eat - do what works for you. For me, I used tracking macros for a month. This trained me well on serving sizes for meals. I gave that up and for another month found an app that allowed me to track just carbs - this helped me become confident that i could remain at about 20g carbs just by eyeballing meal servings.

I have given tracking up in a conscious decision to try to make this way of eating simpler and more sustainable. The only caveat is that if I see a prolonged stall (or rise) of weight loss - I would then consider carb tracking again.
Bryce58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/207/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
i keep my food everyday - M--F most "accurate" because i prep food for lunch/dinner M-th which is the same thing so easy copy and paste. Friday usually we go out and that is easy too since we go to chipotle and i have a "reciper" added for what i get. Sat/sun changes here and there but i usually stay within my existing meal/recipe so it will be easy add. The "toughest" time for me to track meals is sunday when i prep the meals since i try to experiment and that involves looking through db for nutrion values and weighing things etc.

TIP- always "over estimate" this will keep you more honest about the calories.
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
I track everyday. I'm a bit of a freak and use pen and paper. I have the apps on my phone and IPad, but for some reason I enjoy using pen and paper. It's helping me commit to memory the counts for things. It's not the most efficient system but I find it enjoyable.

I like variety but end up eating the same thing for 2 to 3 days to use up whatever is perishable at the time (for things that don't freeze well). Otherwise I like to mix up my meals as much as reasonably possible.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I don't track daily. After all this time, I know what to eat and how much. If I'm making a new recipe, I'll add it to my app and make sure I'm not overeating or underestimating things. I do a day-long spot check every once in a while, and if I'm using blood ketone strips, I'll track every morsel and see what happens with my levels, but other than that, nope.

I do weigh daily, measure monthly, and get a hydrostatic body analysis every four months and chart all of that, but tracking daily food feels like more of a chore and I have no interest in doing that daily.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
I do still track. I always track what I eat but only use calculators occasionally if I think there may be a problem.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ali59oc
Stats: 205/148/135
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 1/2/2014
I track every day. Makes me feel more secure, I guess!
ali59oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I have been tracking for a long, long time. Everyday for almost 1.5 years straight & differing amounts of time before that. It is a very useful tool - if one is honest with the info. I love the info. It is something that works very well for me.

I'm all about research & facts and "why" things happen so I like having the info to look back on. What was I eating when I was losing so well? What was going on when this or that..? I keep notes on more than food because more than food is involved in my fat loss. Stress, sleep, supplements, activity level, working out, injuries, illness, etc. I have solved more than one mystery and made some unexpected discoveries, too, with all the info.

I don't obsess about weighing & measuring things but I know the ballpark & use that. I eyeball half a bag of veggies instead of weighing it. I'll use half the weight of a pack of 2 chicken breasts instead of weighing them individually. After all, I'll eat the rest of the veggies or the other chicken breast tomorrow.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 05-12-2014 at 06:05 PM..
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am a 'reforming' tracker. Just kidding.

I weighed, measured and entered everything for at least 1.5 yrs. I have a pretty good idea of what and how much I consume on a daily basis (I still weigh and measure) but I don't enter it every day anymore. I will do so about once a week to be sure I am on track.

It was important for me initially to be so careful in order to learn what various food's nutritional content was. I was pretty good with the carbs but protein was a new level of learning as was fat. Coming from the traditional Atkins program, I only needed that knowledge. Now, I have a better understanding of all the foods I eat and that can only be beneficial.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 05-13-2014 at 08:16 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote