Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: WishingWell
Do Quest Bars kick out out of ketosis?

Hi all -

I've been low-carbing for a few months now. When I started, my keto-sticks were purplish "moderate"....then became lighter and have stayed lighter. I typically eat about 30 net carbs per day. I do light exercise only 2-3 days per week, but will be increasing. Have just been working crazy hours.

Anyway, today, it seems something kicked me out of ketosis altogether and I can't figure out what.

- Breakfast/lunch (I overslept): 3 eggs, 1 slice cheese, few tablespoons of salsa (3 carbs)

- Snack #1: 1 cup cucumbers (3 net carbs) with 4 tablespoons greek yogurt dip (2 net carbs)

- Snack #2: Half of a Quest bar (1.5 net carbs)

- Dinner: Hamburger lettuce wrap with mayo, sliced tomato and onion. (8 net carbs)

- Snack # 3: Other half of a Quest bar (1.5 net carbs)

So far, I'm at just less than 20 net carbs for the day. I have not worked out today or yesterday. I just tested the keto strip and it came out completely negative....not even a trace. I'm very confused since I haven't cheated in days.

Could it be the Quest bars? I have a hard time believing they have the fiber they claim to have, as umm, I don't get any "side effects" from them if you get my drift...and you would think that would happen with 17 grams of fiber.

Any ideas?

Last edited by WishingWell; 05-10-2014 at 09:30 PM..
WishingWell is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Hi!

The urine keto stix I guess are a little funny because as your body becomes more efficient at making ketones less come out in your urine, and they are not really accurate so blood tests are the best way to go.

With packaged foods I personally count total carbs, it keeps me away from that stuff- it is always better to eat real food- and then if there is something off on the label I don't have to worry about it.
EricaHV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:46 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soonergal76
Stats: 388/342/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 01/12/2014
I've honestly never tried them... but wondered about them myself.
soonergal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:272 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Sugar alcohols can cause some people to stall or drop out of ketosis. This is partly because most sugar alcohols have a relatively high GI. This provokes the very insulin response that low carb is supposed to eliminate.

I have no idea what sweetners are used in Quest Bars but I'd suggest you look them up. I also agree with EricaHV's suggestion of using total carbs for packaged food. A lot of low carb food or replacements have been caught out for not being low carb at all.

I also agree that ketostix can be a little misleading. They are only the excess ketones that reduce after your body adapts. That said, if you've been getting steady readings and suddenly after the Quest Bar you get nothing... that suggests something is funny.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soonergal76
Stats: 388/342/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 01/12/2014
Chocolate Peanut Butter Quest Bar:

Ingredients:
Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharides* (Prebiotic Fiber), Peanuts, Water, Erythritol, Cocoa. Contains less than 2% of the following: Sea Salt, Stevia, Lo Han Guo, Natural Flavors.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 Bar (60g)

Calories 160 Calories from Fat 45

Amount/Serving

Total Fat 5g

Saturated Fat 1g

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 5mg

Sodium 240mg

Potassium 200mg

Total Carbohydrate 25g

Dietary Fiber 17g

Sugars 2g

Erythritol 5g

Protein 20g

It boasts: "only 3 net carbs and those are from nuts, not sugars"

Last edited by soonergal76; 05-13-2014 at 05:53 AM..
soonergal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Why don't you ditch them for a while?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like they're adding additional 'prebiotic fiber' to the recipe because they use other high carb ingredients.

This doesn't count towards net carbs or I could go crazy on donuts and take an epic dose of metamucil and be fine.

Fraud.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all for the replies! That's a really good idea to not count net carbs on packaged foods, I think I'll try that.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonergal76 View Post
Chocolate Peanut Butter Quest Bar:

Ingredients:
Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharides* (Prebiotic Fiber), Peanuts, Water, Erythritol, Cocoa. Contains less than 2% of the following: Sea Salt, Stevia, Lo Han Guo, Natural Flavors.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size 1 Bar (60g)

Calories 160 Calories from Fat 45

Amount/Serving

Total Fat 5g

Saturated Fat 1g

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 5mg

Sodium 240mg

Potassium 200mg

Total Carbohydrate 25g

Dietary Fiber 17g

Sugars 2g

Erythritol 5g

Protein 20g

It boasts: "only 3 net carbs and those are from nuts, not sugars"
I would not eat anything that has 25 grams of total carbohydrate. You don't know how much or if the fiber in it affects you. In my opinion the fiber does not really take away much from the carbs.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backseatadventurer View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but it looks like they're adding additional 'prebiotic fiber' to the recipe because they use other high carb ingredients.

This doesn't count towards net carbs or I could go crazy on donuts and take an epic dose of metamucil and be fine.

Fraud.
Good points. I've always wondered about that. What's the difference between so many processed low-carb products and donuts with fiber powder...
Old 05-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishingWell View Post
Good points. I've always wondered about that. What's the difference between so many processed low-carb products and donuts with fiber powder...
Honestly, I don't think there is a difference if the product has carbs we can absorb. For some people, if a carby item has fiber, it then may slow the digestion of the carbs and reduce the sugar spike. This is the rational behind 'good wholegrains'. The problem is that the fiber doesn't *stop* the absorption of sugar- only slows it.

Many genuine low carb replacements (like flour replacements) are supposed to use fiber and other ingredients we can't digest. BUT I'm very, very skeptical because there have been so many cases of fudged numbers. How do we trust the carb counts to be true? I also wonder if additions haven't been made to bulk the product out. When you have multiple ingredients in a single treat, the risk only increases.

The best you can do is experiment. Personally, I haven't bothered. I eat perfectly well without sugar alcohols and flour replacements.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backseatadventurer View Post
Honestly, I don't think there is a difference if the product has carbs we can absorb. For some people, if a carby item has fiber, it then may slow the digestion of the carbs and reduce the sugar spike. This is the rational behind 'good wholegrains'. The problem is that the fiber doesn't *stop* the absorption of sugar- only slows it.

Many genuine low carb replacements (like flour replacements) are supposed to use fiber and other ingredients we can't digest. BUT I'm very, very skeptical because there have been so many cases of fudged numbers. How do we trust the carb counts to be true? I also wonder if additions haven't been made to bulk the product out. When you have multiple ingredients in a single treat, the risk only increases.

The best you can do is experiment. Personally, I haven't bothered. I eat perfectly well without sugar alcohols and flour replacements.
Very good points. Eye opening.

I have such a sweet tooth, it's nice to have these low-carb bars on hand when cravings strike...also cuz there's protein. I'll need to find another option though..
Old 05-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

A whey protein shake might be the answer. You can buy plain or flavored (sweetened with fake sugar) whey protein. Yes, it's another manufactured product but it's relatively safe. Just read the ingredient list so you can choose one with a low GI sugar alcohol, if you want the sweetened kind, or buy the plain and sweetner on its own. You can then make into a quick shake with some cream, cocoa and vanilla. Or use one of the many recipes online.

Salami or jerky can be great on the go snacks too!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WishingWell View Post
Could it be the Quest bars?
speaking just for myself, Quest bars are a gateway drug ... a little shot of sweet that just makes me want more ... plus they always create a little stall (for me). I do so much better if I can just skip sweet stuff.

Same for those crackers made entirely of baked cheese.

No such thing as a free lunch
Sharvo is offline   Reply With Quote