Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
How do you manage stress?

I feel like stress may be one thing keeping me from getting in to deep ketosis.

How do you manage stress, or what tips do you have to keep stress at bay?

Thanks!
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Stress gets me too. I remember a saying though, that I try to remember: When stressed, do less. Obviously our families, jobs, etc. don't always go along with doing less, but I think it's a good goal.

Also, I used to drink too much alcohol to deal with stress, but I discovered that after a very short reprieve the stress returns intensified. Food may work this way for some people. Relief is short lived.

Returning focus to the present, rather than the past of the future can work too. But this sort of mindfulness can be hard to maintain.

Meditation? Excersie?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you

I have had success with meditation, I should get back to that.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Learn to say no and let it go.

Seriously though-it's so liberating. I am much better at it now that I'm older...when I was in my 30s and my kids were little it was much harder. Just make a conscious effort to refuse to do things, attend things, participate in things, that don't add to your life or the life and well being of your family or close friends.

Also-yoga? Meditation goes along with it I guess, but the practice of yoga, focusing on myself for an hour at a time, and appreciating what my body can do, and being totally inward focused, really helps.

Good luck.
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcrosser View Post
Learn to say no and let it go.

Seriously though-it's so liberating. I am much better at it now that I'm older...when I was in my 30s and my kids were little it was much harder. Just make a conscious effort to refuse to do things, attend things, participate in things, that don't add to your life or the life and well being of your family or close friends.

Also-yoga? Meditation goes along with it I guess, but the practice of yoga, focusing on myself for an hour at a time, and appreciating what my body can do, and being totally inward focused, really helps.

Good luck.

I wish saying no worked with my older daughter- she is almost 6 and it leads to shouting matches I never give in, but she is stubborn.

Thanks!

I have done some yoga videos online, but I really need the experience of going to a studio and doing it I think. I should definitely try that.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
I take a break and do something I enjoy. For me that is my crafting. I will let hubby take care of the kids for an hour or two and I will retreat to my craft room. It is quiet, me time.
frteach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/207/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
depends on the type of stress... i dont have kids so i wont have shouting matches(although i do GIVE in to matches against GF).

Right now there are 3 stresses that could creep up against me:
1. work - lousy teammate dont do much which means work distribution skewed to rest members and more work = more stress in meeting deadlines...
2. gf- got into argument week ago and i was somewhat stressed for a week when she went away for work for a week....but everything is better now...
3. wight loss - get stressed whenever i see number creeping up whenever i weigh... i limit to 3 "weight checks" a week between my Monday weigh ins to keep it in check.

I guess my escape for all of these would be Zumba or entertainment - movies, games etc.... I used to eat a lot like literally a whole large pizza pie but not anymore...
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaselai View Post
depends on the type of stress... i dont have kids so i wont have shouting matches(although i do GIVE in to matches against GF).

Right now there are 3 stresses that could creep up against me:
1. work - lousy teammate dont do much which means work distribution skewed to rest members and more work = more stress in meeting deadlines...
2. gf- got into argument week ago and i was somewhat stressed for a week when she went away for work for a week....but everything is better now...
3. wight loss - get stressed whenever i see number creeping up whenever i weigh... i limit to 3 "weight checks" a week between my Monday weigh ins to keep it in check.

I guess my escape for all of these would be Zumba or entertainment - movies, games etc.... I used to eat a lot like literally a whole large pizza pie but not anymore...

Keep in mind that unless weight checks are always in the morning you will get very inaccurate results that will be higher (and more stressful!)

Thanks for your suggestions!

I had been listening to lectures and podcasts about "important" things all day while working, but I recently found having a funny show or movie on in the back-ground sometimes seems to lighten the mood a little.

Last edited by EricaHV; 05-08-2014 at 09:52 AM..
Old 05-08-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaHV View Post
I wish saying no worked with my older daughter- she is almost 6 and it leads to shouting matches I never give in, but she is stubborn.

Thanks!

I have done some yoga videos online, but I really need the experience of going to a studio and doing it I think. I should definitely try that.
Well, "no" doesn't always work so well with the kids...good point! But think about the things outside your family....even your work.

Yoga in the studio is really awesome, because you get the whole experience, especially if you have a good instructor. I've had three excellent instructors at my gym over the years...all different, but just wonderful. The best ones will help you tune into yourself, and really help you let go. I highly recommend it.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcrosser View Post
Well, "no" doesn't always work so well with the kids...good point! But think about the things outside your family....even your work.

Yoga in the studio is really awesome, because you get the whole experience, especially if you have a good instructor. I've had three excellent instructors at my gym over the years...all different, but just wonderful. The best ones will help you tune into yourself, and really help you let go. I highly recommend it.

I DO need to say no more often- or stop volunteering to do things people don't even ask me to do! lol.

There are so many studios. I wonder if I can find one with childcare? I have a friend that really loves hot yoga.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I DO need to say no more often- or stop volunteering to do things people don't even ask me to do! lol.

There are so many studios. I wonder if I can find one with childcare? I have a friend that really loves hot yoga.
I bet you can find one with childcare. My gym has it. Extra bonus is mine's a women's gym.

Hot yoga is very popular but was too much for me-I used to get nauseous and dizzy. I stick with gentle yoga these days...I'm old.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

I believe in giving to the community, but I've come around to understanding that it doesn't have to be me all the time. Others need the chance to give!
Old 05-08-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Meditation is a big one for me. Without it I lie in bed and my brain just goes, and goes, and goes. Then I *dream* about it. Not fun. I do half an hour before bed to unwind and it makes a big difference.

I think exercise is good too and a brisk walk can be very helpful. I feel rejuvenated and it's getting out of the house has it's own positives. When I went to the gym it had a similar effect.

Nothing beats a ballet barre for centering me when I feel frazzled or knocked off course, though. I think the familiarity of it helps a lot- all that matters are specific moves done in a precise way. A moving meditation? The stretching is good too and I do that every morning.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:

Thanks!

I would not shout back. I would put her in her room. I have 3 grown children. It never paid to shout back and forth with them.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:48 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/126, 30.25"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
I try to nap most days for just 20 min or so. It doesn't necessarily help me deal with stress, but it may help to prevent new stress as I wake up refreshed and am better able to manage my kids. I use an app called "Power Nap." It's awesome. I'm better able to fall asleep because I know an alarm is set; it wakes me up at the perfect point in my sleep cycle that I feel refreshed, not groggy.

I also go out for girls' night out with my friends every month or so. Fun!

That said, I'm following this thread, too. I can certainly use some more and better stress coping mechanisms.
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:30 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Kids! They are so worthwhile but can be so vexing at the same time.

When stress seems unmanageable, I need to do something physical that doesn't require a lot of complicated thought. I usually do housework or start a project like painting a room or gardening. It seems to allow for excess energy to be directed and the mental stuff can happen but doesn't have to ... distraction I guess.

When it comes to eating (stress tends to make me 'hungry'), I remind myself that it is the stress hormones that are doing that and I can continue to make good choices. I am not a slave to physiological cues.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:31 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/126/120
WOE: JUDDD
Come to think of it - I have absolutely no idea how I manage stress. I guess I just endure it?
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
I would not shout back. I would put her in her room. I have 3 grown children. It never paid to shout back and forth with them.
Carolyn

This is good advice. I try to put her in her room or time out and she just crys and yells at me and throws tantrums. I need to work on letting her do those things and putting her in her room anyway! And it is absolutely true, yelling back does absolutely nothing.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Kids! They are so worthwhile but can be so vexing at the same time.

When stress seems unmanageable, I need to do something physical that doesn't require a lot of complicated thought. I usually do housework or start a project like painting a room or gardening. It seems to allow for excess energy to be directed and the mental stuff can happen but doesn't have to ... distraction I guess.

When it comes to eating (stress tends to make me 'hungry'), I remind myself that it is the stress hormones that are doing that and I can continue to make good choices. I am not a slave to physiological cues.
Thanks!

Vexing is true. The sad thing is that one is so sweet all of the time so she almost never gets in trouble.

I bet if I do a few high intensity intervals that would help

I have not started stress eating, but I have been keeping conscious of it.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
This is good advice. I try to put her in her room or time out and she just crys and yells at me and throws tantrums. I need to work on letting her do those things and putting her in her room anyway! And it is absolutely true, yelling back does absolutely nothing.
That is true. I would just let her shout. She will get over it if you do not react to it. Just smile sweetly and stand your ground.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessworth
Stats: 262/252/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 03/05/2014
Quote:
I got my daughter to stop throwing tantrums by making her throw tantrums. She started jumping and yelling and I waited patiently until she stopped, then I told her to jump up and down and yell some more. She laughed and did it for a little bit and then stopped, I told her, no, she needed to keep doing it until I told her to stop. After a little bit she got tired of jumping and yelling. She realized the tantrum did not have the desired effect on me and she was the one tired and I was able to remain calm. She never threw a tantrum again.

I have also been known to tell her that she better get in her room because it is safer for her there. She is 17 now so we have been through some rough arguments.
jessworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:37 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lesismore
Meditation is your best bet I would think but you can always add adrenal supporting herbs such as Ashwagandha root and Rhodiola root extract.

Last edited by Lesismore; 05-09-2014 at 08:41 PM..
Lesismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:05 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

For everyday stress, I can find escape in an easy to read book that captures my attention . . . murder mysteries with good characters preferred.