Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Great New Article

I posted this in the main lobby but thought I should post here as well for anyone who is interested and doesn't necessarily visit there.

Quote:
And it is a Canadian publication! Most of the great stuff comes from the States.

It is on line macleans 'death by sugar'.

They also talk about the about to open movie 'Fed Up' which I am anxiously awaiting!! I believe it opens May 9.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/120, 30"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Interesting article! It neatly sums up so much of what I've been reading lately.

Thanks for sharing. And please post about "Fed Up" when it comes out. I'm sure to forget, but would hate to miss it!
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Thanks for posting, good article.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Thank you for posting I speed read it and will need to read a little closer this evening.

It is nice that the world health organization is starting to adjust guidelines. I feel bad for the kids that are so overweight and struggling to lose it with bad advice, but I am glad more and more people are coming around to LCHF as a cure for obesity among adults and children alike. I look forward to seeing that movie.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Finally got around to reading it - great article, but frustrating.

I wrote a lot and then deleted it... lest, my post be considered political. I don't think we can count on for public policy on this one. Too much money at stake.

I'm glad I know what I know but it's going to be a long hard road to get this message out to enough people.

My last 3 purchased books:

Modern Nutritional Diseases
What to Eat
Fat Chance

I wish we had a Michael Pollan of sugar...

I think I'll go out and plant something else in my garden...

P.s. - on a good note, a friend of mine was over yesterday, we were working on my yard (he's a massage therapist and has wanted to rip out my lawn for years) and it was so thrilling to see him connect the dots when I was telling him about nutritional ketosis. I don't expect more than a handful of these conversations.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post

I wrote a lot and then deleted it... lest, my post be considered political. I don't think we can count on for public policy on this one. Too much money at stake.

I'm glad I know what I know but it's going to be a long hard road to get this message out to enough people.

What to Eat
Fat Chance

P.s. - on a good note, a friend of mine was over yesterday, we were working on my yard (he's a massage therapist and has wanted to rip out my lawn for years) and it was so thrilling to see him connect the dots when I was telling him about nutritional ketosis. I don't expect more than a handful of these conversations.
I think that is a good point about not relying on public policy, I honestly wish there were no public policy on nutrition. I just find it sad to have such poor guidelines here in america and in many other places because people really believe that if their government says it it must be healthy, and I think our health- for the most part- is really something we need to take into our own hands.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Our daughters are lucky little girls to have us as parents
Old 05-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:

What to Eat
Fat Chance

So what will you replace your lawn with? Lawns are such a waste of water, aren't they?
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/133/120
WOE: JUDDD
I think the article is good, but for all the good guidelines will do, I doubt many will follow them.
That said, it would be nice not having to justify our diet with people thinking we'll keel over and die from eating butter, bacon, and beef.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Carolyn - my yard is small and I have fruit trees lining the fence. I will use the space to add more asparagus, berry bushes (for my daughter) and vine type veggies. He probably ripped about 5-8 feet along about 30-40 feet of fence in a U shape.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I agree about relying on public guidelines will not be useful..... likely. What I do think is that this is going to be a grass roots uprising and will effect change with organizations like NUSI lighting the way with good science.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Cathy - you're right. I think the internet as a communication medium we have a better chance to access to this type of information.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Our daughters are lucky little girls to have us as parents

Old 05-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessworth
Stats: 262/252/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 03/05/2014
Have any of you read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver? It is a great read and I highly recommend it.
jessworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:32 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessworth View Post
Have any of you read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver? It is a great read and I highly recommend it.
Yes, and I couldn't stand it. The tone of it really bothered me for some reason, and I was even really into traditional foods or paleo when I read it. It just seemed smug to me rather than celebratory. It was about a family eating locally (there was a certain mile limit to define that) for one year, except for the number of allowed exceptions that they couldn't live without (IIRC coffee, olive oil, salt and spices, and a few other things along the way). But I actually was thinking about the book the other day, that it would be so much easier for me to eat locally now that I eat low carb. I can easily get meat and dairy locally and frankly could live off those alone. Vegetables in season are easy and I could can (we have a giant pressure canner) or freeze if I really wanted to. Mostly I would have to give up processed foods, nuts, and coconut oil.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:46 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessworth
Stats: 262/252/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 03/05/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
Yes, and I couldn't stand it. The tone of it really bothered me for some reason, and I was even really into traditional foods or paleo when I read it. It just seemed smug to me rather than celebratory. It was about a family eating locally (there was a certain mile limit to define that) for one year, except for the number of allowed exceptions that they couldn't live without (IIRC coffee, olive oil, salt and spices, and a few other things along the way). But I actually was thinking about the book the other day, that it would be so much easier for me to eat locally now that I eat low carb. I can easily get meat and dairy locally and frankly could live off those alone. Vegetables in season are easy and I could can (we have a giant pressure canner) or freeze if I really wanted to. Mostly I would have to give up processed foods, nuts, and coconut oil.
I really loved all the information about the food industry and it really made me think about how far food at your supermarket travels to reach you. I really liked the information about how superagri started producing more soy and corn then we could possible consume, so they found ways to sneak more of it into our foods. HFCS anyone?
jessworth is offline   Reply With Quote