Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Great New Article (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/830020-great-new-article.html)

clackley 05-08-2014 06:52 AM

Great New Article
 
I posted this in the main lobby but thought I should post here as well for anyone who is interested and doesn't necessarily visit there.

Quote:

And it is a Canadian publication! Most of the great stuff comes from the States.

It is on line macleans 'death by sugar'.

They also talk about the about to open movie 'Fed Up' which I am anxiously awaiting!! I believe it opens May 9.

abuvia 05-08-2014 04:23 PM

Interesting article! It neatly sums up so much of what I've been reading lately.

Thanks for sharing. And please post about "Fed Up" when it comes out. I'm sure to forget, but would hate to miss it!

Mistizoom 05-08-2014 06:56 PM

Thanks for posting, good article.

EricaHV 05-09-2014 08:02 AM

Thank you for posting :) I speed read it and will need to read a little closer this evening.


It is nice that the world health organization is starting to adjust guidelines. I feel bad for the kids that are so overweight and struggling to lose it with bad advice, but I am glad more and more people are coming around to LCHF as a cure for obesity among adults and children alike. I look forward to seeing that movie.

sbarr 05-09-2014 10:18 AM

Finally got around to reading it - great article, but frustrating.

I wrote a lot and then deleted it... lest, my post be considered political. I don't think we can count on for public policy on this one. Too much money at stake.

I'm glad I know what I know but it's going to be a long hard road to get this message out to enough people.

My last 3 purchased books:

Modern Nutritional Diseases
What to Eat
Fat Chance

I wish we had a Michael Pollan of sugar... :)

I think I'll go out and plant something else in my garden...

P.s. - on a good note, a friend of mine was over yesterday, we were working on my yard (he's a massage therapist and has wanted to rip out my lawn for years) and it was so thrilling to see him connect the dots when I was telling him about nutritional ketosis. I don't expect more than a handful of these conversations.

EricaHV 05-09-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16905039)
Finally got around to reading it - great article, but frustrating.

I wrote a lot and then deleted it... lest, my post be considered political. I don't think we can count on for public policy on this one. Too much money at stake.

I'm glad I know what I know but it's going to be a long hard road to get this message out to enough people.

My last 3 purchased books:

Modern Nutritional Diseases
What to Eat
Fat Chance

I wish we had a Michael Pollan of sugar... :)

I think I'll go out and plant something else in my garden...

P.s. - on a good note, a friend of mine was over yesterday, we were working on my yard (he's a massage therapist and has wanted to rip out my lawn for years) and it was so thrilling to see him connect the dots when I was telling him about nutritional ketosis. I don't expect more than a handful of these conversations.

I think that is a good point about not relying on public policy, I honestly wish there were no public policy on nutrition. I just find it sad to have such poor guidelines here in america and in many other places because people really believe that if their government says it it must be healthy, and I think our health- for the most part- is really something we need to take into our own hands.

sbarr 05-09-2014 10:25 AM

Our daughters are lucky little girls to have us as parents

lovetoknit 05-09-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16905039)
Finally got around to reading it - great article, but frustrating.

I wrote a lot and then deleted it... lest, my post be considered political. I don't think we can count on for public policy on this one. Too much money at stake.

I'm glad I know what I know but it's going to be a long hard road to get this message out to enough people.

My last 3 purchased books:

Modern Nutritional Diseases
What to Eat
Fat Chance



I wish we had a Michael Pollan of sugar... :)

I think I'll go out and plant something else in my garden...

P.s. - on a good note, a friend of mine was over yesterday, we were working on my yard (he's a massage therapist and has wanted to rip out my lawn for years) and it was so thrilling to see him connect the dots when I was telling him about nutritional ketosis. I don't expect more than a handful of these conversations.


So what will you replace your lawn with? Lawns are such a waste of water, aren't they?
Carolyn

kwerp 05-09-2014 01:06 PM

I think the article is good, but for all the good guidelines will do, I doubt many will follow them.
That said, it would be nice not having to justify our diet with people thinking we'll keel over and die from eating butter, bacon, and beef. :)

sbarr 05-09-2014 01:36 PM

Hi Carolyn - my yard is small and I have fruit trees lining the fence. I will use the space to add more asparagus, berry bushes (for my daughter) and vine type veggies. He probably ripped about 5-8 feet along about 30-40 feet of fence in a U shape.

clackley 05-09-2014 03:01 PM

I agree about relying on public guidelines will not be useful..... likely. What I do think is that this is going to be a grass roots uprising and will effect change with organizations like NUSI lighting the way with good science.

sbarr 05-09-2014 03:37 PM

Cathy - you're right. I think the internet as a communication medium we have a better chance to access to this type of information.

EricaHV 05-09-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16905053)
Our daughters are lucky little girls to have us as parents


:heart:

jessworth 05-09-2014 08:12 PM

Have any of you read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver? It is a great read and I highly recommend it.

Mistizoom 05-10-2014 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessworth (Post 16905600)
Have any of you read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver? It is a great read and I highly recommend it.

Yes, and I couldn't stand it. The tone of it really bothered me for some reason, and I was even really into traditional foods or paleo when I read it. It just seemed smug to me rather than celebratory. It was about a family eating locally (there was a certain mile limit to define that) for one year, except for the number of allowed exceptions that they couldn't live without (IIRC coffee, olive oil, salt and spices, and a few other things along the way). But I actually was thinking about the book the other day, that it would be so much easier for me to eat locally now that I eat low carb. I can easily get meat and dairy locally and frankly could live off those alone. Vegetables in season are easy and I could can (we have a giant pressure canner) or freeze if I really wanted to. Mostly I would have to give up processed foods, nuts, and coconut oil.

jessworth 05-10-2014 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16905776)
Yes, and I couldn't stand it. The tone of it really bothered me for some reason, and I was even really into traditional foods or paleo when I read it. It just seemed smug to me rather than celebratory. It was about a family eating locally (there was a certain mile limit to define that) for one year, except for the number of allowed exceptions that they couldn't live without (IIRC coffee, olive oil, salt and spices, and a few other things along the way). But I actually was thinking about the book the other day, that it would be so much easier for me to eat locally now that I eat low carb. I can easily get meat and dairy locally and frankly could live off those alone. Vegetables in season are easy and I could can (we have a giant pressure canner) or freeze if I really wanted to. Mostly I would have to give up processed foods, nuts, and coconut oil.

I really loved all the information about the food industry and it really made me think about how far food at your supermarket travels to reach you. I really liked the information about how superagri started producing more soy and corn then we could possible consume, so they found ways to sneak more of it into our foods. HFCS anyone?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 PM.