Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 05:01 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pinkgirl8
Stats: 251/245.6/150
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: March 1 2014
Female issues

So I have been doing low carb/high fat for a little over a month. I stopped losing after the 1st two weeks but I have still stuck with it. I have always been super on time with my period. I am 3 days late with NO chance of pregnancy. I am freaking because I NEED to know when its coming, its been super heavy since my tubes were tied (like staying home heavy). Has anyone else had this happen, is there a way to make it normal again? LOL I'm sure someone knows what I mean.

I am not losing, I do feel pretty good and love not feeling hungry BUT I need to be consistent.
Pinkgirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Time to get comfortable with inconsistency. With low-carbing, the hormones can go all over the place, largely because the fat cells store estrogen, and when you start losing weight the estrogen gets released into your blood. You wind up having interesting cycles. FWIW, a lot of women with heavy periods have found theirs became lighter and more regular. I had the opposite issue and cramp bark became my new best friend.

You can fight it a bit by eating flax daily, especially during the second half of your cycle, and taking a probiotic (both help the body flush estrogen out via the digestive system) but there are no guarantees. Wish I had better news.

Last edited by MerryKate; 05-06-2014 at 11:28 PM..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:23 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for your response.

I wil check into a probiotic. Its hard. I feel like I have been a raging lunatic for the last week (which I usually never am). I can feel my hormones going all over the place. LOL Again, thank you.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: minanz
WOE: LCHF
I have been on LCHF for just over a week. I lost weight quickly the first 4 days and since then have gone up and down from 200 - 500g. I am due to get my period tomorrow however I had no signs of it apart from feeling bloated. Normally I get all the usual signs a few days before. I started this diet mostly for weightloss but although I haven't been losing more weight I too am enjoying feeling full, no tummy pains, not feeling so tired and grumpy. If this diet also helps my periods well that's another added bonus!

Interested to know how you get on pinkgirl
minanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
How hormones are affected by this diet is quite diverse. Taking a hormone pill probably adds to the mix.

I have heard that many women report improved fertility (which may not be good news) and that their cycle gradually becomes regular. For me after the first two my she-trollitis reduced but I've noticed my cycle has been either a few days early or late.

I suspect the more you have to lose, the longer it will take for your cycle to even out. You might want to talk to your doctor about switching pills, particularly if its a low dose? Certainly combine with another method of birth control for peace of mind.

BTW, a little extra coconut oil and a bit of cocoa in my BPC in the morning really help the mood swings.

Edit: I meant to say that weightloss can be greatly influenced by your cycle. I stall at certain points but then get a whoosh later. As long as you're sticking to plan/macros/calories and your fat is squishy, you'll be fine.

Last edited by backseatadventurer; 05-07-2014 at 04:46 PM..
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: minanz
WOE: LCHF
Good point about your weight. I also know I need to get on to exercising, i think that will help all round.

I will give it a couple of months and see how I go, it's still early days for me. Unfortunately I can't change pill as I am not on birth control due to having a hormone based tumor a couple of years ago, luckily Hubby has had the snip.
minanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
I can't offer help, I don't know much about this topic, but I am sorry you are going through this and it is making you stressed and unhappy!
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

A whole week late but it happened. I also wanted to add that I have been very very low carbs. This week I ate more carbs...I used real BBQ sauce...just 2 tablespoons.. More veggies...little things like that. I finally got out of the 4 pounds I've gone back and forth with this last month. I think I do better with more carbs. I wanted to add the problems I was having in case it happened to anyone else.