Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/207/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
Question about Bai5 and Erythritol

I recently bought some Bai5 and want to add it to my keto diet. I like the taste and it has enough nutrients to boot. I am worried about the Erythritol per serving. One bottle has 18 carbs of which 16 is Erythol. I did read that it *should* be OK but if by some chance it IS NOT how will I be able to tell? Do I just use the ketostix to test it out or if i stop losing weight? Just kind of curious. If someone here has been drinking it consistently and could chime in it would be great!
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/138, 32"/125 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
I don't have experience with this product but would use caution. I was once kicked out of ketosis by erythritol, I think, though I usually tolerate it well.

Maybe start out just drinking an ounce or so and work your way up over a few days, monitoring your body's reaction. When I was kicked out of ketosis I felt just awful. I felt fatigued and shaky and had the symptoms that used to come with a sugar crash.

Also, just my two cents, but I'm finding it easier to adjust to NK by just starting fresh. If I try to replace high-carb products with similar low-carb products I tend to feel disappointed and deprived. Whereas, if I replace my high-carb bagel with an unrelated food like an Avacado I look forward to my new food and don't feel so resentful. Not sure if I'm explaining that well, but if you're looking to replace an old habit like a sugary soda, it may be easier to just go cold turkey than to find and stick with a replacement.

Good luck!
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/207/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
Abuvia,
thanks for the tip! I will definitely be testing with the strips daily while i drink it. I guess i am trying to find a nutritious drink like Naked drinks or those fruit drinks with lots of vitamins... I have had sucralose/splenda before and even the recent artificial sweetener drinks i have had had them and I guess i didn't get kicked out. But Erythritol is a different monster i suppose. I usually keep my carbs very low - typically spinach and guac are my daily carb entries so my guesstimate is even if the 18carbs do all count it wouldnt put me above 30 but then again <20 is the golden rule right?
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Abuvia are you sure it was erythritol that kicked you out of ketosis? Erythritol is 0 on the GI scale. Of course everyone is different, but I think erythritol is the best and safest sugar alcohol and the only one I'd eat.

Last edited by grneyedldy; 05-03-2014 at 07:22 PM..
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaselai View Post
Abuvia,
thanks for the tip! I will definitely be testing with the strips daily while i drink it. I guess i am trying to find a nutritious drink like Naked drinks or those fruit drinks with lots of vitamins... I have had sucralose/splenda before and even the recent artificial sweetener drinks i have had had them and I guess i didn't get kicked out. But Erythritol is a different monster i suppose. I usually keep my carbs very low - typically spinach and guac are my daily carb entries so my guesstimate is even if the 18carbs do all count it wouldnt put me above 30 but then again <20 is the golden rule right?
I don't know anything about this product, but I personally wouldn't worry about erythritol in moderation.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/138, 32"/125 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
Abuvia are you sure it was erythritol that kicked you out of ketosis? Erythritol is 0 on the GI scale. Of course everyone is different, but I think erythritol is the best and safest sugar alcohol and the only one I'd eat.
I can't be sure, (for such a scientific approach, NK does present it's share of gray areas!) but, it's really the only culprit I could find in my meals that day.

I eat erythritol and xylitol (very small amounts) daily, but I had over indulged on some chocolate buttercream that day and ended up consuming a much larger than usual serving of erythritol. I felt just awful. :/

When I posted about it, I did hear from one person who said that she is always kicked out of ketosis by sugar alcohols, though most are not. And I typically haven't been.
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuvia View Post
I can't be sure, (for such a scientific approach, NK does present it's share of gray areas!) but, it's really the only culprit I could find in my meals that day.

I eat erythritol and xylitol (very small amounts) daily, but I had over indulged on some chocolate buttercream that day and ended up consuming a much larger than usual serving of erythritol. I felt just awful. :/

When I posted about it, I did hear from one person who said that she is always kicked out of ketosis by sugar alcohols, though most are not. And I typically haven't been.
Yep we're all different. At least now you know.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
I have tested just a little with sugar alchohol and been ok, but I have seen that a few have problems.

I have a few problem foods, and they are pretty obvious because they either kick me out of ketosis or I feel awful after eating them ( or both)

Ketosix are not a very good way to tell if you are in ketosis, or that is what I understand.

I would pay attention to your mood, hunger, and how your body feels after eating things to determine how you do with those foods. Since you are tracking calories, I assume you are keeping some kind of log of what you are eating, and that will help you learn which foods your body does well with and which foods cause issues, so that is a great tool !
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
I'd think the "we are all different" thing wouldn't apply to a zero GI product because it is tested on multiple different people. I can understand a 20 GI being 15 or 25 for some people but I'd think that if any people were effected by the product then it would not be as low as 0.

With full respect to those who think erythritol kicks them out. I think it's probably just paranoia knowing that it is really high in carb and it happening the same time they tried it. It most probably was just a coincidence in my opinion.

P.s. there is a big difference between xylitol and erythritol.

Last edited by Mr_Geiri; 05-05-2014 at 12:41 PM..
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I tried a bottle this week, no issues. I only drank half a bottle at a time (1 serving) though.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote