Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
Newbie trying to understand

Hi all,

I am new to Nutritional Ketosis, but not new to low carb. I have been low carbing for a few years now. Truth have it, I was utilizing the low carb recipe board too much and gained 20 lbs. over the past winter after surgery with too many low carb desserts and snacks. Well, I got desperate and wasn't losing so I joined Weight Watchers - but tried to follow a low carb diet. I know, I know... I did loose 10 lbs and then I just stopped. No weight loss. Plus I was veering away from low carb too much because they just leave too many options.

Then, through all of this, I found a recipe for bulletproof coffee. I don't drink caffeinated coffee, so I made it with a good strong decaf.

My recipe is 1 tbs. coconut oil, 1 tbs. ghee, cinnamon, and dash or 2 of cayenne pepper, dash of heavy cream with coffee whipped in my bullet. It was amazing, and I found out I was simply not hungry for hours. I couldn't believe it curbed my appetite so much. I then decided to read up on nutritional ketosis, but don't really understand all of the science involved, nor if I am doing it correctly.

I have only been on this strict for about 4 days, and no weight loss yet, but feel like I may be down somewhat in the tummy area. Mind you, I have only 15 lbs to loose, and I am 60, so I am expecting a slower weight loss.

Should I worry about watching calories?

My menu today consisted of my bulletproof coffee first thing this a.m., then at work for breakfast, bacon, several pieces, and 1 hard boiled egg topped with some mayo, (actually, a packet).
Lunch was a leftover stuffed poblano (with ground beef, onion, small amount, maybe a tbs of tomato sauce, about a tbs of Mexican cheese, spices), and baked. Added to that, about a cup of green beans with about 2 tsp ghee.
Dinner was a salad with about 2 cups greens, 3 grape tomatoes, tbs onion, 3 slices cucumber, topped with 4 tbs. 1 carb per 2 tbs. ranch dressing, and about 3 or 4 oz baked chicked with skin.

I had to force dinner down to finish it. I have been drinking a lot of various teas, along with my water, as I only drink coffee early in the morning.

I have not lost any weight yet. Does my menu sound OK, and should I be doing something different?

Also, if I do get a small hunger pang, I will just have a tsp of ghee, coconut oil, or mayo, and that helps. Can you get too much fat?

Finally today, I have felt a little tired and just a little shaky this morning, but felt fine by afternoon. I don't expect so much of the "flu" symptoms since I was already mostly doing low carb. I also use just a scant squirt of splenda or stevia in my tea, but try not to over do.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

...Mari

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2014, 12:06 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Welcome to the boards!

The first thing I need to ask is if you have used one of the online keto calculators to find your caloric limits and macros. The basic rule is to always eat your protein allowance, don't go above your carb limit and eat your fat macro until satisfied but don't sweat it if you don't want all of it.

The reason you should always get your protein is that you don't want to lose lean body mass. You've already noticed that increasing fat reduces appetite. That makes it easy not to get the right macro balance.

According to strict NK, you should be watching your calories but not everyone does. I'm more LCHF, although I use the keto macros as a guideline. I'd recommend tracking for a week or two so you get a hang of portion sizes and carb counts etc.

If you already don't know you might, want to consider increasing your intake of potassium, magnesium and sodium. This helps reduce carb flu but this diet also tends to play havoc with your electrolytes. A multivitamin and Vit D is also a good idea.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, is there a keto calculator that you would recommend that is an easy version to follow and understand? I am taking extra magnesium, have been for several years, since regular low carbing, 2x500 day, only extra potassium in multivitamin, and I don't limit sodium -I use pink himalayan. I will look into increasing my potassium slowly to see if it helps. I absolutely am more in ketosis this a.m. Was very tired, only slight headache upon waking up, but gone now, and a sense of extreme calm. Slept extremely well! Now, to get my exercise in today - a priority.
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS726 View Post
Hi all,

I am new to Nutritional Ketosis, but not new to low carb. I have been low carbing for a few years now. Truth have it, I was utilizing the low carb recipe board too much and gained 20 lbs. over the past winter after surgery with too many low carb desserts and snacks. Well, I got desperate and wasn't losing so I joined Weight Watchers - but tried to follow a low carb diet. I know, I know... I did loose 10 lbs and then I just stopped. No weight loss. Plus I was veering away from low carb too much because they just leave too many options.

Then, through all of this, I found a recipe for bulletproof coffee. I don't drink caffeinated coffee, so I made it with a good strong decaf.

My recipe is 1 tbs. coconut oil, 1 tbs. ghee, cinnamon, and dash or 2 of cayenne pepper, dash of heavy cream with coffee whipped in my bullet. It was amazing, and I found out I was simply not hungry for hours. I couldn't believe it curbed my appetite so much. I then decided to read up on nutritional ketosis, but don't really understand all of the science involved, nor if I am doing it correctly.

I have only been on this strict for about 4 days, and no weight loss yet, but feel like I may be down somewhat in the tummy area. Mind you, I have only 15 lbs to loose, and I am 60, so I am expecting a slower weight loss.

Should I worry about watching calories?

My menu today consisted of my bulletproof coffee first thing this a.m., then at work for breakfast, bacon, several pieces, and 1 hard boiled egg topped with some mayo, (actually, a packet).
Lunch was a leftover stuffed poblano (with ground beef, onion, small amount, maybe a tbs of tomato sauce, about a tbs of Mexican cheese, spices), and baked. Added to that, about a cup of green beans with about 2 tsp ghee.
Dinner was a salad with about 2 cups greens, 3 grape tomatoes, tbs onion, 3 slices cucumber, topped with 4 tbs. 1 carb per 2 tbs. ranch dressing, and about 3 or 4 oz baked chicked with skin.

I had to force dinner down to finish it. I have been drinking a lot of various teas, along with my water, as I only drink coffee early in the morning.

I have not lost any weight yet. Does my menu sound OK, and should I be doing something different?

Also, if I do get a small hunger pang, I will just have a tsp of ghee, coconut oil, or mayo, and that helps. Can you get too much fat?

Finally today, I have felt a little tired and just a little shaky this morning, but felt fine by afternoon. I don't expect so much of the "flu" symptoms since I was already mostly doing low carb. I also use just a scant squirt of splenda or stevia in my tea, but try not to over do.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

...Mari

If you are having a problem with losing on a low carb diet, it is possible that you are eating too much food. Try eating smaller meals, limit your protein, and add in more fat. Keep your carbs under 5 or 6 grams per meal. Try only eating about 3 to 4 oz of protein (under 28 grams) not more than every 4 hours. I eat less than that, but you will have to experiment to see what works for you. It took me about a month of experimentation to find what works for me. This is only a guideline. You will have to find out what works for you. I eat about 100 to 150 grams of fat a day, but again you will have to find out what works for your body.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Thank you, is there a keto calculator that you would recommend that is an easy version to follow and understand? I am taking extra magnesium, have been for several years, since regular low carbing, 2x500 day, only extra potassium in multivitamin, and I don't limit sodium -I use pink himalayan. I will look into increasing my potassium slowly to see if it helps. I absolutely am more in ketosis this a.m. Was very tired, only slight headache upon waking up, but gone now, and a sense of extreme calm. Slept extremely well! Now, to get my exercise in today - a priority.
Apologies for the lateness of my replay. I had a group project from hell.

Try Googling for a calculator as they are pretty easy to do. Just don't put in a crazy high caloric deficit as this can sap your energy and make it near impossible for you to stick to a plan.

I had a look at the menu provided and I noticed you had a BPC and breakfast? How are you making your BPC? Generally they have enough calories to qualify as breakfast and should keep you full until lunch.

Edit: ROFL! Obviously I need to get more sleep. Your recipe is about half the calories in the original, so I guess it's fine. Sorry about that!

Last edited by backseatadventurer; 05-04-2014 at 04:55 PM..
Old 05-05-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
If you query keto and ankerl, this will lead you to a good calculator
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backseatadventurer View Post
Apologies for the lateness of my replay. I had a group project from hell.

Try Googling for a calculator as they are pretty easy to do. Just don't put in a crazy high caloric deficit as this can sap your energy and make it near impossible for you to stick to a plan.

I had a look at the menu provided and I noticed you had a BPC and breakfast? How are you making your BPC? Generally they have enough calories to qualify as breakfast and should keep you full a until lunch.

Edit: ROFL! Obviously I need to get more sleep. Your recipe is about half the calories in the original, so I guess it's fine. Sorry about that!
Thanks, I have been very busy, but found a couple different calculators and none seem to register the same. I will try this one.

Bullet Proof Coffee: I am adding to DECAF (I cannot have much caffeine), 1 Tbs of ghee, 1 Tbs of coconut oil, dash of heavy cream, couple shakes of cinnamon, a shake of cayenne pepper. Whip in my bullet. I love this concoction.

I have this at 5:30 a.m. By say 8:30 or 9 at work, I am getting hungry. I have 3 pieces of bacon at that time, and maybe a hard boiled egg, not always. I do not eat the egg unless I am still hungry. Too much? My lunch isn't until 12:30 and if I don't have anything, that is a 7 hour span and I would be starving.

Thanks again for any and all help!
Old 05-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I have this at 5:30 a.m. By say 8:30 or 9 at work, I am getting hungry. I have 3 pieces of bacon at that time, and maybe a hard boiled egg, not always. I do not eat the egg unless I am still hungry. Too much? My lunch isn't until 12:30 and if I don't have anything, that is a 7 hour span and I would be starving.

Thanks again for any and all help!
I think whether it is too much depends on two things- is it within the macro and caloric limits given by the keto calculator and whether you are feeling good and still losing. Can you tell use what your macros and calories were and how well your eating matches?

As I said before, tracking is a very good idea in the first few weeks to make sure what you eat and what the calculator recommends are in general agreement. You may have a few high or low days but if it evens out over the course of a week, then it's fine.

That said... many women struggle if they don't track. The less you have to lose and the closer to goal weight, the more important caloric limits are and the slower you lose. You'll have to see how it goes. Also, don't forget to recalculate your macros as you lose.

Last edited by backseatadventurer; 05-05-2014 at 03:28 PM..
Old 05-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backseatadventurer View Post
I think whether it is too much depends on two things- is it within the macro and caloric limits given by the keto calculator and whether you are feeling good and still losing. Can you tell use what your macros and calories were and how well your eating matches?
I just posted in a new thread, but I will add here.

kcal: 1301 (Does that mean regular calories?) If so, I am possibly going over and need to track. I probably need to pay more attention to my fats.
25 g carb
58 g protein
108 g fat.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Sorry for all of these posts, but trying to understand. First, I am ordering Keto strips from Amazon. Too early to order a meter. I think they will help, although I know I am ketosis, but just want confirmation at various times of the day.

How does this sound?

My menu yesterday consisted of my bullet proof coffee, 5 a.m.
Bacon, 3 slices, 8:30 a.m., 1 hardboiled egg with a tbs mayo.

Lunch - salad with chicken, about 2 oz, crumbled bacon, about 1 oz, cheese, 2 oz, ranch dressing equaling 2 carbs.

Dinner - Cup and half green beans with ghee, chicken pattie, made with small amount of golden flax, ground, a few pork rinds, ground, egg, ground chicken, spices, 4 green onions chopped (in whole recipe), and a little mayo to bind, fried these in ghee, had 1 1/2. They were not large, but normal size.

Lots of tea and water throughout the day. Not hungry, so no snacks.

No weight loss.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Mari - from your stats, show that your weight is 145 and goal is 140 - is that right? What weight did you plug into calculator?
Old 05-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

No, my weight is 159 right now, and my goal is 145. I plugged in 160 at the time, but have lost a lb since yesterday. I will try again. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Mari - from your stats, show that your weight is 145 and goal is 140 - is that right? What weight did you plug into calculator?
Not sure how you got your calculation without all of my personal data?

Here are my numbers again today after entering everything as specified.

Weight, height, DOB, lifestyle, body fat, moderate protein, recommended fat and this is what I calculated:

Here are your personal macros:

1301 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
25 g Carbohydrates (8%, 100 kcal)
60 g Protein (18%, 240 kcal)
107 g Fat (74%, 961 kcal)

Thanks,
Old 05-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Mari - I was only guessing based on what you have under your "strawberry picture"

Stats: 151/145/140

I didn't have a calculation for you - I was just wondering that if you were so close to goal that this might have been an issue. That's something I asked about in another thread, that if someone was very close to goal, do they have to set the macros for below goal.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Mari - I was only guessing based on what you have under your "strawberry picture"

Stats: 151/145/140

I didn't have a calculation for you - I was just wondering that if you were so close to goal that this might have been an issue. That's something I asked about in another thread, that if someone was very close to goal, do they have to set the macros for below goal.

Oh, sorry, I haven't updated that in ages! I didn't even realize that it was on there! Obviously, it has changed and not for the better!