Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member
 
EricaHV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 680
Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Salt in water

How does one put salt in water?

Do I just put it in there when I want to drink it, or do I put it in ahead of time and let it dissolve?
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!
 
Annabel Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 2,395
Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
I add salt to my water every time.
What I do is put the salt on top of the ice cubes and then add the water.
It was hard to get use to but now water with out salt taste strange to me.
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
EricaHV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 680
Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel Lee View Post
I add salt to my water every time.
What I do is put the salt on top of the ice cubes and then add the water.
It was hard to get use to but now water with out salt taste strange to me.
Thanks!

I think it will taste yucky, but... I eat enough other foods for health reasons, LOL...

Anyway, how much do you put in?
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!
 
Annabel Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 2,395
Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
I have a salt pig on my kitchen counter so I just take a couple of pinches and add it to my water.
I always add it to unsweetened, lemon flavored, mineral water. I find that this helps with the flavor.
I use sea salt because of the health benefits and also because it taste so much better.
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
EricaHV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 680
Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Thanks! I use sea salt too -or Himalayan pink salt

It does taste odd, but not as bad as I expected
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sbarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 5,118
Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
What's the purpose of the salt water?

I have successfully done salt flushes, but that's a lot of salt in 32 oz of water and you drink it within 15 minutes for a specific purpose.

My food is pretty salty by choice, so I haven't had to add any.

Re: pink salt, I love the look on people's faces when the see it in my shaker.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
EricaHV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 680
Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
What's the purpose of the salt water?

I have successfully done salt flushes, but that's a lot of salt in 32 oz of water and you drink it within 15 minutes for a specific purpose.

My food is pretty salty by choice, so I haven't had to add any.

Re: pink salt, I love the look on people's faces when the see it in my shaker.

The salt in water is to maintain electrolytes during activity, avoid dehydration during the day, bring up my BP a little, it is also supposed to help with adrenal fatigue.

I wish people were still surprised when they saw me eating weird things...
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
Annabel Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA
Posts: 2,395
Gallery: Annabel Lee
Stats: 278/190/174 for now
WOE: Gary Taubes inspired LC,NK,IF
Start Date: May 24, 2011
Salt helps with my leg cramps that I am plagued with on low carb.
Annabel Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 466
Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaHV View Post
How does one put salt in water?

Do I just put it in there when I want to drink it, or do I put it in ahead of time and let it dissolve?
I just add it to the water and stir it and then just drink it up quickly.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 466
Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
What's the purpose of the salt water?

I have successfully done salt flushes, but that's a lot of salt in 32 oz of water and you drink it within 15 minutes for a specific purpose.

My food is pretty salty by choice, so I haven't had to add any.

Re: pink salt, I love the look on people's faces when the see it in my shaker.
If you feel light headed, it will make you feel better. Also if you have problems with regularity, it will help that as well.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sbarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 5,118
Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
This is interesting - I'm such a salt fiend, never thought of being salt deficient. Good to know.

Reminds me, maybe I'll do another salt flush since my 6 yo is at her dad's house this weekend. It is sort of funny trying to explain why mommy runs (literally) to the bathroom every 5 minutes.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:44 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy
 
clackley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ontario
Posts: 16,772
Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Erica, have you tried pickle juice? I think we talked about his before but can't remember for sure.....
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
EricaHV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 680
Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Erica, have you tried pickle juice? I think we talked about his before but can't remember for sure.....
I love pickle juice! I chug it all the time now that I don't have high BP any more! ♥
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,419
Gallery: Patience
I always save my pickle juice, too, to drink.
I salt my coffee; sounds strange but I have really come to prefer it that way, especially along with a little bulletproofing.
I keep some of salted water and salt crystals by my bed in the event of cramps.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
EricaHV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 680
Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I always save my pickle juice, too, to drink.
I salt my coffee; sounds strange but I have really come to prefer it that way, especially along with a little bulletproofing.
I keep some of salted water and salt crystals by my bed in the event of cramps.
That is a good way to do it, I think I will try this tomorrow morning!
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
EricaHV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 680
Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
I just add it to the water and stir it and then just drink it up quickly.
Carolyn
Thank you!

Do you find you drink a lot more overall? I felt insatiably thirsty yesterday and Friday when I was drinking salt water.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 466
Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
This is interesting - I'm such a salt fiend, never thought of being salt deficient. Good to know.

Reminds me, maybe I'll do another salt flush since my 6 yo is at her dad's house this weekend. It is sort of funny trying to explain why mommy runs (literally) to the bathroom every 5 minutes.
Too much salt is not good either. If it gives you the runs, you may be having too much.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
EricaHV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 680
Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
Too much salt is not good either. If it gives you the runs, you may be having too much.
Carolyn
That is good to know too!
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sbarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 5,118
Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Hi Carolyn - Yup, that's the joy of the salt flush (2 teaspoons of salt in 1 quart of water with the express objective of clearing out your system).

You're supposed to drink it all at once on an empty stomach. Since the saline level is the same as your body so the salt water just goes through your body like water through a hose.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 466
Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Hi Carolyn - Yup, that's the joy of the salt flush (2 teaspoons of salt in 1 quart of water with the express objective of clearing out your system).

You're supposed to drink it all at once on an empty stomach. Since the saline level is the same as your body so the salt water just goes through your body like water through a hose.

lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sbarr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 5,118
Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Which is why I prefer weekends where my 6 yo daughter is not at home...
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.