Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Salt in water (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/829363-salt-water.html)

EricaHV 04-25-2014 01:58 PM

Salt in water

How does one put salt in water?

Do I just put it in there when I want to drink it, or do I put it in ahead of time and let it dissolve?

Annabel Lee 04-25-2014 02:01 PM

I add salt to my water every time.
What I do is put the salt on top of the ice cubes and then add the water.
It was hard to get use to but now water with out salt taste strange to me.:)

EricaHV 04-25-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annabel Lee (Post 16889230)
I add salt to my water every time.
What I do is put the salt on top of the ice cubes and then add the water.
It was hard to get use to but now water with out salt taste strange to me.:)

Thanks!

I think it will taste yucky, but... I eat enough other foods for health reasons, LOL...

Anyway, how much do you put in?

Annabel Lee 04-25-2014 03:44 PM

I have a salt pig on my kitchen counter so I just take a couple of pinches and add it to my water.
I always add it to unsweetened, lemon flavored, mineral water. I find that this helps with the flavor.
I use sea salt because of the health benefits and also because it taste so much better.

EricaHV 04-25-2014 03:56 PM

Thanks! I use sea salt too -or Himalayan pink salt :)

It does taste odd, but not as bad as I expected

sbarr 04-25-2014 04:55 PM

What's the purpose of the salt water?

I have successfully done salt flushes, but that's a lot of salt in 32 oz of water and you drink it within 15 minutes for a specific purpose.

My food is pretty salty by choice, so I haven't had to add any.

Re: pink salt, I love the look on people's faces when the see it in my shaker. :)

EricaHV 04-25-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16889390)

I have successfully done salt flushes, but that's a lot of salt in 32 oz of water and you drink it within 15 minutes for a specific purpose.

Re: pink salt, I love the look on people's faces when the see it in my shaker. :)

The salt in water is to maintain electrolytes during activity, avoid dehydration during the day, bring up my BP a little, it is also supposed to help with adrenal fatigue.

I wish people were still surprised when they saw me eating weird things...

Annabel Lee 04-25-2014 05:13 PM

Salt helps with my leg cramps that I am plagued with on low carb.

lovetoknit 04-26-2014 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricaHV (Post 16889226)
How does one put salt in water?

Do I just put it in there when I want to drink it, or do I put it in ahead of time and let it dissolve?

I just add it to the water and stir it and then just drink it up quickly.
Carolyn

lovetoknit 04-26-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16889390)

If you feel light headed, it will make you feel better. Also if you have problems with regularity, it will help that as well.
Carolyn

sbarr 04-26-2014 08:40 AM

This is interesting - I'm such a salt fiend, never thought of being salt deficient. Good to know.

Reminds me, maybe I'll do another salt flush since my 6 yo is at her dad's house this weekend. It is sort of funny trying to explain why mommy runs (literally) to the bathroom every 5 minutes.

clackley 04-26-2014 08:44 AM

Erica, have you tried pickle juice? I think we talked about his before but can't remember for sure.....

EricaHV 04-26-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16889891)
Erica, have you tried pickle juice? I think we talked about his before but can't remember for sure.....

I love pickle juice! I chug it all the time now that I don't have high BP any more! ♥

Patience 04-27-2014 12:37 PM

I always save my pickle juice, too, to drink.
I salt my coffee; sounds strange but I have really come to prefer it that way, especially along with a little bulletproofing.
I keep some of salted water and salt crystals by my bed in the event of cramps.

EricaHV 04-27-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patience (Post 16890776)
I always save my pickle juice, too, to drink.
I salt my coffee; sounds strange but I have really come to prefer it that way, especially along with a little bulletproofing.
I keep some of salted water and salt crystals by my bed in the event of cramps.

That is a good way to do it, I think I will try this tomorrow morning!

EricaHV 04-27-2014 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16889852)
I just add it to the water and stir it and then just drink it up quickly.
Carolyn

Thank you!

Do you find you drink a lot more overall? I felt insatiably thirsty yesterday and Friday when I was drinking salt water.

lovetoknit 04-30-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16889887)
This is interesting - I'm such a salt fiend, never thought of being salt deficient. Good to know.

Reminds me, maybe I'll do another salt flush since my 6 yo is at her dad's house this weekend. It is sort of funny trying to explain why mommy runs (literally) to the bathroom every 5 minutes.

Too much salt is not good either. If it gives you the runs, you may be having too much.
Carolyn

EricaHV 04-30-2014 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16894167)
Too much salt is not good either. If it gives you the runs, you may be having too much.
Carolyn

That is good to know too!

sbarr 04-30-2014 10:29 AM

Hi Carolyn - Yup, that's the joy of the salt flush (2 teaspoons of salt in 1 quart of water with the express objective of clearing out your system).

You're supposed to drink it all at once on an empty stomach. Since the saline level is the same as your body so the salt water just goes through your body like water through a hose. :laugh:

lovetoknit 05-03-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16894258)
Hi Carolyn - Yup, that's the joy of the salt flush (2 teaspoons of salt in 1 quart of water with the express objective of clearing out your system).

You're supposed to drink it all at once on an empty stomach. Since the saline level is the same as your body so the salt water just goes through your body like water through a hose. :laugh:

:hyst:

sbarr 05-03-2014 02:50 PM

Which is why I prefer weekends where my 6 yo daughter is not at home... :lol: