Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bregeli
Stats: 183/178/128
WOE: HFLC Moderate Protein
Start Date: 3/20/2014
Hypertension

I just had my first Dr. appointment since beginning LCHF woe. My blood pressure was higher than it has ever been...130/106 I've been in NK for about 4 weeks.

I try to be aware of my sodium intake but neither overindulge or limit it. I did eat bacon last night but I don't recall that having caused an unusual reading before.

Has anyone else experienced unusual changes in blood pressure while in the early weeks of ketosis?

Last edited by Bregeli; 04-23-2014 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: transposed numbers
Bregeli is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Hmm. I am sorry... I am actually having the opposite happen, My BP has gone way down in NK.

How many carbs are you eating a day?
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have the opposite effect as well. I was on 2 b.p. meds for a long time and then was able to ween off of them all together.

One thought is that many people get 'white coat syndrome' in which just the thought of having the doctor (or nurse) take blood pressure is enough to raise it significantly. The way to test this is to buy a home b.p. machine and test yourself. Record your results and next visit, take the machine with you and compare with the doctor's.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Alfa Bravo
Stats: 200/189/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 2014
I agree with clackley... I have white coat syndrome, which really seems to manifest most dramatically at the heart doctor, for some reason. I bought a digital cuff at my local medical supply store and took my readings on my own, daily, for a month to show the nurse. It was always normal at home.
Alfa Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Very interested in this topic. After a month on LCHF, I went to my doctor and bp was even higher. Had to double bp meds. DH is an optometrist and even with him taking the bp measurement it was way too high. I have been completely ketogenic for almost 4 months with only a little improvement thus far.

Cathy, it's very reassuring to see that you were able to get off yours. Might I inquire approximately how long it took after starting this woe to get yours under control?

Kathee
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bregeli
Stats: 183/178/128
WOE: HFLC Moderate Protein
Start Date: 3/20/2014
White Coat Syndrome...Maybe.

There may be something to this possibility. But I thought of another possibility too. I grabbed a quick cup of "decaf" about an hour before my appointment. I wonder if maybe they gave me regular coffee by mistake.

I took my blood pressure 3 times later that day and it was very good. I had gotten out of the habit of monitoring my blood pressure and so I wasn't sure if the high reading had become typical or an abberation.

Thanks for your interest in the topic.
Bregeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregeli View Post
I just had my first Dr. appointment since beginning LCHF woe. My blood pressure was higher than it has ever been...130/106 I've been in NK for about 4 weeks.

I try to be aware of my sodium intake but neither overindulge or limit it. I did eat bacon last night but I don't recall that having caused an unusual reading before.

Has anyone else experienced unusual changes in blood pressure while in the early weeks of ketosis?
Potassium helps to lower blood pressure. Try eating more avocado.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I was told that "white coat syndrome" is almost as bad since every time you're stressed (like at the doctor's office), your blood pressure will go too high. Since hardly anyone can go through life without being stressed practically everyday (and sometimes several times per day), having "white coat syndrome" has to be treated as you would if your BP is always high.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
LCHF has done nothing for my blood pressure. The automated machines always read high for me anyway, I run high normal on them. I had a internal med MD manaully take my blood pressure last summer and it was great - well within normal range. I also have some scientifc articles showing that even large cuffs don't fit the majority of overweight/obese people correctly because our arms tend to be conical-shaped and rectangular cuffs don't fit well, thus higher readings. I am actually on a calcium-channel blocker now (which can be used for high blood pressue but I am taking it for a condition other than hypertenstion) and even that hasn't done anything to change my blood pressure.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
I was told that "white coat syndrome" is almost as bad since every time you're stressed (like at the doctor's office), your blood pressure will go too high. Since hardly anyone can go through life without being stressed practically everyday (and sometimes several times per day), having "white coat syndrome" has to be treated as you would if your BP is always high.
Not according to my doctor. And not according to my b.p. cuff.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
It's obvious doctors don't all agree. My blood pressure is always lower at home, but my doctor treats me for the white coat syndrome he sees in his office.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soonergal76
Stats: 388/332/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 01/12/2014
I also am one of the ones that my BP has gone down... it was running 145-155/90 and the dr was considering putting me on bp meds. This last time it was 128/70.
soonergal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Soonergal - great to hear. I'm hoping for something similar!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bregeli View Post
I wouldn't let this go for long ... for a while I was taking 1/2 tablet of low dose diuretic and then went down to 1/4 tablet and then 0 when BP got acceptable. Make sure you're *very well* hydrated (ie, with H2O, not coffee/tea). I don't think one serving of bacon is the cause. I have a BP meter at home and check frequently. (It's a good idea to take your BP meter to Dr appt to see if you get same reading as Dr during appt])

Taking K may help a little, if it's adequate it's probably best to space it out over theday. (the reason K helps is that it's a vy mild diuretic). but whatever you do should be regular and steady with gradual changes.

Good luck
Sharvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #15
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I agree with Cathy, too.

When my doctor wanted me on meds for high BP I bought a monitor, took my BP the correct way & showed the results to him at my next appointment. I did not need meds. My BP was still high at his office.

But, even at his office, my BP has gone down the longer I eat this way. Losing weight and being more active probably also contribute to that.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #16
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
In my experience, most medical professionals do not take BP correctly. That does change the results.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote