Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Hypertension (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/829234-hypertension.html)

Bregeli 04-23-2014 10:17 AM

Hypertension

I just had my first Dr. appointment since beginning LCHF woe. My blood pressure was higher than it has ever been...130/106 I've been in NK for about 4 weeks.

I try to be aware of my sodium intake but neither overindulge or limit it. I did eat bacon last night but I don't recall that having caused an unusual reading before.

Has anyone else experienced unusual changes in blood pressure while in the early weeks of ketosis?

EricaHV 04-23-2014 12:16 PM

Hmm. I am sorry... I am actually having the opposite happen, My BP has gone way down in NK.

How many carbs are you eating a day?

clackley 04-23-2014 12:35 PM

I have the opposite effect as well. I was on 2 b.p. meds for a long time and then was able to ween off of them all together.

One thought is that many people get 'white coat syndrome' in which just the thought of having the doctor (or nurse) take blood pressure is enough to raise it significantly. The way to test this is to buy a home b.p. machine and test yourself. Record your results and next visit, take the machine with you and compare with the doctor's.

Alfa Bravo 04-23-2014 01:46 PM

I agree with clackley... I have white coat syndrome, which really seems to manifest most dramatically at the heart doctor, for some reason. I bought a digital cuff at my local medical supply store and took my readings on my own, daily, for a month to show the nurse. It was always normal at home.

Bridgee'sMom 04-23-2014 04:36 PM

Very interested in this topic. After a month on LCHF, I went to my doctor and bp was even higher. Had to double bp meds. DH is an optometrist and even with him taking the bp measurement it was way too high. I have been completely ketogenic for almost 4 months with only a little improvement thus far.

Cathy, it's very reassuring to see that you were able to get off yours. Might I inquire approximately how long it took after starting this woe to get yours under control?

Kathee

Bregeli 04-29-2014 10:44 AM

White Coat Syndrome...Maybe.

There may be something to this possibility. But I thought of another possibility too. I grabbed a quick cup of "decaf" about an hour before my appointment. I wonder if maybe they gave me regular coffee by mistake.

I took my blood pressure 3 times later that day and it was very good. I had gotten out of the habit of monitoring my blood pressure and so I wasn't sure if the high reading had become typical or an abberation.

Thanks for your interest in the topic.

lovetoknit 04-30-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregeli (Post 16886626)
I just had my first Dr. appointment since beginning LCHF woe. My blood pressure was higher than it has ever been...130/106 I've been in NK for about 4 weeks.

I try to be aware of my sodium intake but neither overindulge or limit it. I did eat bacon last night but I don't recall that having caused an unusual reading before.

Has anyone else experienced unusual changes in blood pressure while in the early weeks of ketosis?

Potassium helps to lower blood pressure. Try eating more avocado.
Carolyn

Ronnie51 05-08-2014 04:35 PM

I was told that "white coat syndrome" is almost as bad since every time you're stressed (like at the doctor's office), your blood pressure will go too high. Since hardly anyone can go through life without being stressed practically everyday (and sometimes several times per day), having "white coat syndrome" has to be treated as you would if your BP is always high.

Mistizoom 05-08-2014 05:07 PM

LCHF has done nothing for my blood pressure. The automated machines always read high for me anyway, I run high normal on them. I had a internal med MD manaully take my blood pressure last summer and it was great - well within normal range. I also have some scientifc articles showing that even large cuffs don't fit the majority of overweight/obese people correctly because our arms tend to be conical-shaped and rectangular cuffs don't fit well, thus higher readings. I am actually on a calcium-channel blocker now (which can be used for high blood pressue but I am taking it for a condition other than hypertenstion) and even that hasn't done anything to change my blood pressure.

clackley 05-08-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnie51 (Post 16904213)
I was told that "white coat syndrome" is almost as bad since every time you're stressed (like at the doctor's office), your blood pressure will go too high. Since hardly anyone can go through life without being stressed practically everyday (and sometimes several times per day), having "white coat syndrome" has to be treated as you would if your BP is always high.

Not according to my doctor. And not according to my b.p. cuff.

Ronnie51 05-09-2014 06:15 PM

It's obvious doctors don't all agree. My blood pressure is always lower at home, but my doctor treats me for the white coat syndrome he sees in his office.

soonergal76 05-13-2014 02:39 PM

I also am one of the ones that my BP has gone down... it was running 145-155/90 and the dr was considering putting me on bp meds. This last time it was 128/70.

sbarr 05-13-2014 02:55 PM

Soonergal - great to hear. I'm hoping for something similar!

Sharvo 05-23-2014 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregeli (Post 16886626)

I wouldn't let this go for long ... for a while I was taking 1/2 tablet of low dose diuretic and then went down to 1/4 tablet and then 0 when BP got acceptable. Make sure you're *very well* hydrated (ie, with H2O, not coffee/tea). I don't think one serving of bacon is the cause. I have a BP meter at home and check frequently. (It's a good idea to take your BP meter to Dr appt to see if you get same reading as Dr during appt])

Taking K may help a little, if it's adequate it's probably best to space it out over theday. (the reason K helps is that it's a vy mild diuretic). but whatever you do should be regular and steady with gradual changes.

Good luck

DiamondDeb 05-23-2014 07:33 PM

I agree with Cathy, too.

When my doctor wanted me on meds for high BP I bought a monitor, took my BP the correct way & showed the results to him at my next appointment. I did not need meds. My BP was still high at his office.

But, even at his office, my BP has gone down the longer I eat this way. Losing weight and being more active probably also contribute to that.

DiamondDeb 05-23-2014 07:37 PM

In my experience, most medical professionals do not take BP correctly. That does change the results.