Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Resistant starch and a n.k. woe (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/829229-resistant-starch-n-k-woe.html)

clackley 04-23-2014 08:52 AM

Resistant starch and a n.k. woe

This came up in another thread and I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the subject?

earthcrosser 04-23-2014 08:58 AM

I've been reading a lot about it, mostly on other blogs...I won't try it because I'm not at my goal weight. Nikoley is a big advocate ( Feedtheanimal blog) and catches a fair amount of criticism from other bloggers about it, as they feel he uses it as a license to overeat. It seems to me it's like just about everything else and this WOE-it works for some but not for others.

clackley 04-23-2014 09:01 AM

I find it difficult to believe that cold potatoes or bananas can be part of an n.k. woe. They would simply be too much carb to stay in ketosis for me.

I have found some information that seems to indicate that konjac or glucomannan powder meet the definition of resistant starch but seems inconclusive.

earthcrosser 04-23-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16886423)
I find it difficult to believe that cold potatoes or bananas can be part of an n.k. woe. They would simply be too much carb to stay in ketosis for me.

I have found some information that seems to indicate that konjac or glucomannan powder meet the definition of resistant starch but seems inconclusive.

The source I've read the most about it the Red Mill Potato starch. But FTA has a whole primer on it. I totally agree...seems like WAY to much carb to stay NK. I would rather just take a probiotic if I was concerned with my gut biome.

sbarr 04-23-2014 09:58 AM

I would tend to agree with both of your comments.

NK is working just fine for me right now - and maybe a probiotic down the line, but everything is already going so well, I don't really want to rock the boat.

That said, Red Mill Potato Starch is a cheap, easily consumed ingredient, so might be interesting as an experiment at a later point, but I don't eat enough carbs to need to play with my blood glucose.

But, keeping an open mind, I would like to hear from others who are in ketosis and consuming RS.

clackley 04-23-2014 10:26 AM

I eat glucomannan powder and shirataki noodles (konjac jam) regularly. I am pretty sure they are not absorded... at all so not sure if they 'qualify' as resistant starch. Depends on the definition of resistant I suppose.

clackley 04-23-2014 01:32 PM

It seems that jicama is considered to contain resistant starch as well.

Janknitz 04-23-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

find it difficult to believe that cold potatoes or bananas can be part of an n.k. woe. They would simply be too much carb to stay in ketosis for me.
I think that the theory is that cold potatoes and green bananas (or better, green plantains) and other resistant starches don't act like carbs in the body. A significant portion does not get metabolized as sugar, it gets all the way to the large intestine, where it is metabolized into a saturated fatty acid, not a sugar molecule.

It makes sense to be skeptical, but it also makes sense to keep an open mind and experiment a little for yourself if you want to (sounds like you don't, that's OK).

That's what I'm trying, by watching what happens to my blood sugar, my ketone level, and my weight when I ingest resistant starches. I'm pretty surprised to find that so far I'm not having a negative effect with these things. Blood sugar is staying low (but not hypoglycemic), I'm remaining in ketosis (if my Ketonix can be believed), and my weight is not increasing. You may have a very different reaction, but I wouldn't know how it works for me unless I tried it.

finallylosing 04-23-2014 07:50 PM

I tried the cold potatoes, actually fried them in coconut oil,this morning with my breakfast and at one hour post eating my sugar was six, at two hours it was back down to 4.8 so not too bad at all. I was not hungry for hours after but then thought I should probably have something to eat and checked my sugar again. It was 3.6 so a tad on the low side.
I'm going to try it for a few weeks and see what happens. I will be watching my sugars and my weight to see what happens.

grneyedldy 04-23-2014 08:19 PM

I have to admit that I have a hard time wrapping my brain around it. I'm not ready to try it myself, but I will continue reading and who knows what the future may hold. I never thought I would have lupine flour in my freezer or think of coconut oil as it's own food group. And if someone told me last year that I would be anxiously awaiting my first order of chia seeds, I would have declared them delusional. :hyst:

Seabreezes 04-23-2014 10:52 PM

The Diet Doctor has a whole article on resistant starch on his blog today. Google him........

sbarr 04-24-2014 06:25 AM

finallylosing - I don't think you can reheat the potatoes once they've been cooked that way. When you do, they revert back to starch. You might get better results eating them cold.

clackley 04-24-2014 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seabreezes (Post 16887268)
The Diet Doctor has a whole article on resistant starch on his blog today. Google him........

Thanks for the tip! I thought the article was interesting. I have previously read both the suggested readings so nothing really new except that the diet doctor is giving it a nod.

As usual, the comments are well worth reading and this one I am pasting was the flip side and I thought well said.

Quote:

Green sleeves: Very sorry to see Doc repeat incorrect info. Perhaps instead of believing random posts on the internet he should consult Dr Efic Westman's frien Dr J Slavin, the eorld's expert ion fiber. her research will tell you the truth - between 48-54% of the "resistant starch" is absorbed by you as glucose, albeit very slowly, so that's why it doesn't show on the meter. Further it feeds bad bugs as readily as good ones. So it can make your GERD SiBO IBS worse. Finally the butyrate crated via the tummy bugs from the starch seems to go to the liver preferentially and is shunted to store. Peter Hyperlipid has that study. Proceed with caution. T2D people may see short-term small gains from the second-meal effect but you notice neither Westman's nor Slavin are endorsing potato starch. Both prefer real food. No one is deficient in processed potato starch. ;)
Off to read hyperlipid on the subject.

finallylosing 04-24-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16887421)
finallylosing - I don't think you can reheat the potatoes once they've been cooked that way. When you do, they revert back to starch. You might get better results eating them cold.

I thought that too but on Feed the Animal site they said there was no problem reheating slightly so I thought I would give it a try. I might try the green bananas in a couple of weeks. It's all just a big experiment!!

Janknitz 04-24-2014 02:43 PM

Tater tot Tim says you can reheat the RS foods up to about 130 F.

There are many cultures who DO eat rice and potatoes in their diets and they are healthy. I think RS is why they are able to do it.

But clearly if you already have a wrecked gut, proceed with caution. Norman Robillard wrote a good book on SIBO and he's not entirely against trying RS, though he wisely urges caution.

lovetoknit 04-24-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16886411)
This came up in another thread and I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the subject?

My view is it is just a gimmick. I will not be using resistant starch. I do not want flatulence. Giving up most carbs has fixed my problems in that area, and I do not want it back. The people who started to promote this are vegetarians.
Carolyn

Annabel Lee 04-25-2014 12:40 PM

"Debunking and Deconstructing Some ‘Myths of Paleo’. Part One: Tubers"

Very interesting read from Lifextention!