Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 08:06 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
That would work, but I'd add some seasonings, starting with salt and garlic.
It's always ok to prepare broth in a broth base, imo. Makes for a more intense flavor.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I always add bone broth instead of (or in addition to) water in those types of recipes. The other day. I made pot roast in the crockpot, and I added about half a cup of my beef/pork bone broth to the crock. No water.

Adjust your seasoning accordingly. You may need less salt, because you're adding a salted broth instead of plain water.

Last edited by Ntombi; 04-30-2014 at 10:23 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaselai View Post
i am recently addicted to kalbi tang - beef shortrib soup. Has anyone made it with bone broth before or just straightup water and shortribs? Wonder if it is extra tasty with premade bone broth...
That sounds like a great way to add some extra nutrition in that meal

I suppose you can try it, and if it tastes too salty make adjustments.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:19 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/207/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
one thing for me when i eat soup is i instantly gain like 3 pounds from the liquid and salt combo so I tend to shy away from it towards Monday when i weigh in. It usually takes 2 days or so for my water level to normalize.... -_-
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

i am actually really scared of drinking any sort of soup now... couple days ago i drank a quart of short rib soup (like those chinese take out "tall" plastic soup containers) and i gained all the weight i lost back. only today (3 days later) i have normalized my weight from that... i am wondering if it is because of my body's reaction to the liquid because of so much salt or something else? No i am a bit afraid of drinking soups period...
Old 05-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

I don't really know what short rib soup is so I don't really know what to say about that. You may want to avoid it if you respond poorly to it and just stick to the broth.

Some people don't like the broth by itself so they use it to cook other foods. Salt is important in ketosis, I don't think the salt is the problem.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:13 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaHV View Post
I don't really know what short rib soup is so I don't really know what to say about that. You may want to avoid it if you respond poorly to it and just stick to the broth.

Some people don't like the broth by itself so they use it to cook other foods. Salt is important in ketosis, I don't think the salt is the problem.
short rib soup is basically beef short ribs (5-6 pieces), some vermicelli (clear noodles ) which i filter out, radishes, scallion and an egg (usually broken up). You can search Kalbi tang to get an idea. I was terrified when i weighted after eating it because i pretty much gained back all i lost that week! Maybe i will just make sweet and sour short ribs instead...
Old 05-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaselai View Post
short rib soup is basically beef short ribs (5-6 pieces), some vermicelli (clear noodles ) which i filter out, radishes, scallion and an egg (usually broken up). You can search Kalbi tang to get an idea. I was terrified when i weighted after eating it because i pretty much gained back all i lost that week! Maybe i will just make sweet and sour short ribs instead...

Do you have a recipe for sugar free sweet and sour sauce? I would totally try to make some sweet and sour something with that that

I am assuming you are not eating the soup and then immediately weighing yourself right after eating it?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaHV View Post
Do you have a recipe for sugar free sweet and sour sauce? I would totally try to make some sweet and sour something with that that

I am assuming you are not eating the soup and then immediately weighing yourself right after eating it?
i will try to dig up the recipe over the weekend. Well i weighed before going to bed after soup which was maybe 4hourish after. then the next day too which was lower but still "over". i am back to "normal" now and hopefully can reach my goal for the week.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, clearly you didn't gain several pounds of fat from one quart of soup. That's biologically impossible. Weight fluctuations are totally normal, and happen for all kinds of reasons. But if you don't want to drink broth straight, don't. I do sometimes, but more often use it as a base for souls and sauces.

And you should never weigh at night, or at least don't take it seriously when you do. Food and drink have weight too! Weigh first thing in the morning, after you've gone to the bathroom.

Last edited by Ntombi; 05-01-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Old 05-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Well, clearly you didn't gain several pounds of fat from one quart of soup. That's biologically impossible. Weight fluctuations are totally normal, and happen for all kinds of reasons. But if you don't want to drink broth straight, don't. I do sometimes, but more often use it as a base for souls and sauces.

And you should never weigh at night, or at least don't take it seriously when you do. Food and drink have weight too! Weigh first thing in the morning, after you've gone to the bathroom.
Yes, totally! This is such excellent advice!

Exercising also can affect the scale that day. Sore muscles make you weigh more and if you are dehydrated from exercising it can make you weigh less than you should.

Some people (like me) also get stressed weighing in, and stress releases cortisol, and that is bad for your progress. If you find you feel stressed when you weigh yourself you may want to set a specific date and time (in the morning after going to the bathroom) and only weigh yourself then. I actually make my husband hide the scale so I am not even tempted to weigh in.

Also, the scale is not the only indication of success. I have lost a little over 20 lbs, but over 5" off my waist, so I feel pretty good about that. One week I did not lose anything but was down a whole inch from the week before.

Last edited by EricaHV; 05-01-2014 at 12:18 PM..
Old 05-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #42
Blabbermouth!!!

Quantity and quality of sleep, amount of stress, soreness, inflammation, meds, level of hydration, and many many more factors affect day to day scale weight. Notice that not all are controllable. We can only do what we can do, and keep moving forward.

I'm a daily weigher, and chart my weight, which fluctuates by about five pounds on a day to day basis. Some people have smaller windows, it's really individual. But my point is that the fluctuations don't really have anything to do with fat loss. I've bounced myself down about 70 pounds so far, and still have more to go.

But the scale is just one metric. I weigh daily, measure monthly, and get a hydrostatic body analysis every four months. I chart it all, but the most important for measuring real progress is the dunk test. That's the one that tells me that I'm losing fat and retaining lean body mass, and that my goal weight and daily protein intake are on track. The scale is the least helpful, IMO.

Anyway, just a reminder to discount night-time weighing altogether.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.