Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/129.5, 32"/115 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Sugar Alcohols

What's the deal with sugar alcohols & ketosis?

I know, ideally, I should avoid all sweeteners/processed foods. But, realistically, a little bit of sweetener is going to remain a part of my diet if I'm able to maintain this lifestyle.

I circuitously came to NK through the Wheat Belly diet, and he uses sugar alcohols in many of his recipes, so I've become accustomed to using them in a few recipes. I also put about a half teaspoon of a sugar alcohol in my BPC each day.

Anyway, yesterday I made some chocolate buttercream and kept sneaking bites as I was portioning it out. I might have had 3/4 tsp erythritol by the time I was done. The buttercream is one of my favorite fat bombs and, although I over-indulged, it fit within my macros for the day. So, I didn't worry... UNTIL I started to feel just awful.

I felt queasy, tired, and just "out of it." It reminded me of the "candy poisoning" (blood sugar crash?) feeling that I used to get after overindulging in sweets made with real sugar in my pre-keto days.

I was surprised because erythritol is a zero GI sweetener. So, I googled to see what might have caused me to feel that way. I found a couple of blogs that mentioned sugar alcohols will immediately kick you out of ketosis, plus a thread where personal experiences seemed to support this idea. That might explain my experience...

So, is that true? Is there science to suggest that sugar alcohols and ketosis don't mix? What have been your personal experiences with sugar alcohols and ketosis?
abuvia is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

To add context:

I've been consuming sugar alcohols 1-2x/day in pretty extreme moderation (small portions) for the entirety of the 5 weeks I've been doing NK. I don't test my blood but I have consistently been losing weight and having the symptoms associated with ketosis...
Old 04-22-2014, 05:33 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
This may be a YMMV - You can consume AS and be in ketosis - I have been for the past month. I've taken stevia, erythritol, Splenda (I'm trying to use up my last few packets).

Different artificial sweeteners have different impacts. Erithritol is the best - and is what I use for cooking. Stevia is also fine for me.

Geiri has a great chart that helps outline the differences:

carbs vs. net carbs: Which one really moves the scale?

What surprises me is 3/4 t. of Erythritol having that strong an effect because this would only have 3 carbs (assuming 4 carbs per teaspoon) - does 3 carbs usually throw you off?

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:35 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuvia View Post
To add context:

I've been consuming sugar alcohols 1-2x/day in pretty extreme moderation (small portions) for the entirety of the 5 weeks I've been doing NK. I don't test my blood but I have consistently been losing weight and having the symptoms associated with ketosis...
Well, if you've be consuming sugar alcohols and been in ketosis for more than a month and are losing weight, then it appears that what you're doing is working for you.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:01 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Was there coconut oil in your fat bombs? I sometimes get an "off" feeling that I'm almost positive is from the CO. I've been using it for months now and worked my way up on amounts, but sometimes it just doesn't set well for me.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
I just don't see how a 0 GI food could kick you out of it so I don't worry about erythritol at all. But not all sugar alcohols are created equal, I only use erythritol.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Well, when I eat fake sugars I get nausea followed by the symptoms of a carb coma/crash. I agree that it sounds like a quantity issue, like you suspect.

I think you can probably keep eating some fake sugar as you've not had problems before. Just keep in mind that you seem to have a meal limit as well as an overall limit. Maybe test it out a little more?
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
This may be a case of YMMV

What surprises me is 3/4 t. of Erythritol having that strong an effect because this would only have 3 carbs (assuming 4 carbs per teaspoon) - does 3 carbs usually throw you off?
Sbarr, that surprised me, too. Maybe I'm underestimating the amount. But, no, I don't think I'm particularly carb-sensitive. I frequently eat foods with 5 or more gm carbs and am fine.

Also, what does YMMV mean? I've finally cracked BPC, WOE, TOM, & HWC. But, this one eludes me...
Old 04-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
YMMV = your mileage may vary
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
Was there coconut oil in your fat bombs? I sometimes get an "off" feeling that I'm almost positive is from the CO. I've been using it for months now and worked my way up on amounts, but sometimes it just doesn't set well for me.

No, no coconut oil. It's a pretty typical buttercream with butter, cocoa powder, sweetener, and cream. I ran out of cocoa powder, though, and substituted a couple of tbsp of chocolate protein powder. Don't know if that would have made a difference.

Interesting observation about CO...
Old 04-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backseatadventurer View Post
Well, when I eat fake sugars I get nausea followed by the symptoms of a carb coma/crash. I agree that it sounds like a quantity issue, like you suspect.

I think you can probably keep eating some fake sugar as you've not had problems before. Just keep in mind that you seem to have a meal limit as well as an overall limit. Maybe test it out a little more?
Good point, I should look up what I ate in the hour or so before the buttercream yesterday. I may very well have hit a meal limit. Hmmm...

Backseat adventurer, when you get that carb coma feeling from SA, do you get knocked out of ketosis, too?
Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKitty View Post
YMMV = your mileage may vary
Thx!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
Quote:
Thx!
You betcha'. Anytime.
(Welcome, btw!)
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Quote:
Good point, I should look up what I ate in the hour or so before the buttercream yesterday. I may very well have hit a meal limit. Hmmm...

Backseat adventurer, when you get that carb coma feeling from SA, do you get knocked out of ketosis, too?
I only was able to test it once using a friend's blood tester and I was pretty low on ketones but not completely out. I did have a snack of something with a bit of protein and fat, which may have muddied the reading. The snack really helped the energy crash but I feel a bit shaky for at least 12hrs.

I have tried a few other sweetners including stevia and have had similar reactions. The higher the GI, the worse the reaction but I get it to some degree with all of them.

Given that I react to all of them, there has to be something beyond just the metabolic processes used to digest fake sugar. I heard that the taste of sweet things can prompt an insulin release just in itself. Not sure on the science, though.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
In my vast experience of two whole days with a breath ketone meter, using Xylitol in small amounts doesn't seem to be knocking me out of moderate ketosis. I am very sensitive to some sugar alcohols, but seem to do fine with xylitol and erithrytol. Of course, YMMV.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote