Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeriouslyFunny
Stats: 287/xxx/165
Start Date: October 2013
It looks like NK is the plan for me

Several years ago, I lost 35-40 pounds doing Atkins. Life crap happened (I talk about it on my personal journal here), and it all came back, plus more.

I returned to low carb, doing all the same things I did before (I thought), but nothing was working. I also couldn't get into the right mindset, and went off the rails hard over the holidays and GAINED a couple of pounds. I was super depressed, and I knew something serious had to change.

I looked at the info for Nutritional Ketosis, ran the numbers, and figured out that it was actually much closer to way I was doing Atkins last time! I think through my personal food choices, I "accidentally" did NK when I lost all that weight before.

So this week, I started somewhat fresh (I'd already been eating LC for two weeks, but with pretty much no change on the scale, and I wasn't in ketosis), but going by NK guidelines. After doing the calculations, I'm shooting for 100g of protein per day (range is 74-123), with 70-80 percent of my calories coming from fat. My carbs should be under 50 per day, but I've been right around 20.

I've seen a drop on the scale, finally! 3.5 pounds so far this week! And I'm back in ketosis! I guess I found the plan that works for my body.

Last edited by SeriouslyFunny; 04-18-2014 at 10:44 AM..
SeriouslyFunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170/159.5/125
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Congrats on the loss & finding a plan that may work for you.

I've had a similar story. I lost more than 30 lbs back in my 20s doing a calorie-restricted diet (I was probably, accidentally, low-carb.). Unsurprisingly, I gained the weight back over 15 years and two babies.

Because I *thought* I'd had success restricting calories in the past, I've had lots of failed dieting attempts in recent years. I would withstand hunger for a month or two, exercise, and take off only a few pounds. Then, my willpower would break and I'd discouragedly quit.

So glad I've found NK now. I've lost 10.5 lb in my first month and, although it's been a learning process, I haven't been hungry!! This is by far the easiest weight loss I've ever experienced.

Here's hoping we both continue to see results and have good NK experiences.
abuvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/199.6/135 (19-Apr)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Welcome to NK - I've been LC off and on for many years, but this feels right to me. I've lost 10-11# in the past month and hope to continue with a 1.5# per week loss through at least the end of the year.

Be patient with getting into ketosis - initial ketosis can be within a few days, but the experts suggest that it can be up to 3-4 weeks to become keto-adapted.

There are some other threads on here about other benefits of NK, above and beyond the weight loss - they are very compelling and motivating!

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/218/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Welcome!
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:06 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
That is great! Congratulations and welcome!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote