Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/138, 32"/125 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Restaurants

My kids and I used to really enjoy eating lunches out. And, of course, I enjoyed having one meal with no dishes to do.

Any recommendations of restaurants or common restaurant dishes that are NK friendly? I have already figured out that Panera has a "secret gluten-free power menu" and some of those dishes work. Also, Elevation Burger will serve your burger on a lettuce wrap. But, I'd like more options.

Oh, and how I wish Starbucks served BPC!!
abuvia is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/166/170
Start Date: December 2013
Steaks with salad instead of potatoes/fries tends to be my plan A. Just make sure there isn't starch in the sauce. Bearnaise is usually without it.
Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
Steaks with salad instead of potatoes/fries tends to be my plan A. Just make sure there isn't starch in the sauce. Bearnaise is usually without it.
This has been my go- to also
EricaHV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Cobb salad, grilled chicken breast salad, Alfredo sauce with chicken over sautéed spinach, omelets, quiche (don't eat the crust).....that's a few for you.

Also at Macaroni Grill, I've had the Chicken Scallopini without flour and no pasta with a side vegetable, one time asparagus, one time spinach. It's delicious.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Geiri, just wanted to let you know, you are looking quite dapper in your new avatar.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Alfredo sauce with chicken over sautéed spinach... OMG, that sounds so good!

Thx for the suggestions, everyone!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:272 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
I confess that as much as I try to avoid going out to eat because you never really know what you're getting, it can be sanity saving to do so once in a while. Last weekend my sister and I went out with her kids to the park with McDonald's. Minus the bun and sauce it wasn't too bad. I also had a work function where I ate chicken satays and salad.

So far, I haven't anything that I suspect have a lot of hidden carbs. If I did, then I'd skip the occasional serving of berries I have for that week, or whatever carb replacement (eg almond meal muffin or keto pizza crust) I might plan.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
Geiri, just wanted to let you know, you are looking quite dapper in your new avatar.
If only that was me lol.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If only that was me lol.
That's not you? He looks like he could be you. Well, I'm going to blame it on a smudge on my glasses.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

We're nothing alike haha. Yes blame the smudge

His name is Theo Hutchcraft, he's the singer from a duo band called Hurts. Lovely music
Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
As someone who used to LOVE to eat at restaurants, I find this WOE kind of hard right now. I usually eat a burger without the bun, with mustard and mayo, no fries, and a salad or side veg. I also get steak sometimes, since I know for sure it's gluten free. Last resort is as plain a chicken dish as I can get. I notice it makes my family a little nuts when I start asking a lot of questions about the menu.

When I get coffee at Starbuck's or somewhere like it, I ask for a latte with half and half or cream. It's almost like BPC. And I wonder if someday soon they will start serving it. Wouldn't that be nice?
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/139.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I honestly find it much easier to eat out on this WOE than on any other. I don't trust most foods, so I keep it simple. Steak, burger without a bun, bacon and eggs (never scrambled from a restaurant). Simple, but easy and easy to stay on plan. One of my favorites is also Chipotle. Just meat, cheese, sour cream, and if I'm feeling like splurging I'll have some guacamole. That's my favorite!
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

That's a good tip about chipotle. I like those kid-friendly places!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:46 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MarieD
WOE: NK / low carb
Start Date: Low carb for years; NK since 8/12
Rotisserie chicken is good. Red Robin offers any of their burgers lettuces wrapped - so good. There aren't too many lunch options out there at restaurants unfortunately.
MarieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I didn't know that about red robin. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jessworth
Stats: 262/252/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 03/05/2014
I love going to Red Robin! I get the mini wedge salad, a burger lettuce wrapped with coleslaw. I always save the coleslaw for the next day.
jessworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenandchic
WOE: Paleo, heading towards, Ketosis
Start Date: 2006
I don't eat at chain restaurants (because I don't trust mass produced foods) but I do eat at Chipotle once in a while. I get their salads with grilled chicken, onions, peppers and salsas. I usually get my fat from the small bottle of MCT oil I carry with me.

Local restaurants, at least in Portland, are pretty well versed in gluten free, sugar free, options and substitutions.
greenandchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
I'm experimenting more, thanks to a blog I found for staying low carb while traveling. I'm not a steak person and we usually have salads every night at home, so a salad out is the last thing I want unless it's a taco salad. Been getting sandwiches and eating the innards and veggies on the side if I'm not in the mood for the typical bunless burger or fajitas.

I was charged extra for getting a Starbucks coffee with HWC instead of half-n-half recently. I asked him if he was serious as no one had ever mentioned it before when I asked for HWC. I think it was a buck extra.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/221.4/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
my go to depends on the place but for lunch i go for burger without bun. salad with steak and salmon as well. We coworkers go to subway and chipotle a lot so i usually order tuna salad 4 scoops or chipotle salad bowl with guac.
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
I've been known to carry a little jar of coconut oil in my purse and spoon it into my Americano with heavy whipping cream.

Yes, Starbucks has started to charge extra for HWC where I am too. I do Starbucks for a rare treat, it's not an everyday thing, so I'm OK with that.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:47 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcrosser View Post
When I get coffee at Starbuck's or somewhere like it, I ask for a latte with half and half or cream.
That's a breve...and be careful with those - they use 1/2 cup or more of the cream, and if they use half and half you're looking at at least 10 carbs per drink.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:02 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieD View Post
Rotisserie chicken is good. Red Robin offers any of their burgers lettuces wrapped - so good. There aren't too many lunch options out there at restaurants unfortunately.
One of the really nice things about Red Robin's website is that they offer a meal calculator that lets you build your sandwich and see what the nutrition breakdown is. So many places you have to guess what you're getting. I also appreciated the fact that no one acted like I was weird for ordering a lettuce wrap. When ordering from McDonald's I frequently have had to deal with eye-rolling teenagers. Carl's Jr. also offers lettuce-wrapped burgers, btw.

My other staple at restaurants is breakfast food. Omelets are easy to order low carb, and come with meat as a side dish. The one restaurant to watch out for is IHOP - they add pancake batter to their omelets "to make them fluffy" (my turn for eye-rolling).

FWIW, I went to Panera a while back and asked for the super-secret menu. They had 3 choices and the food pretty much tasted like cardboard. Their idea of low-carb fits the Dukan diet – super low-fat, and therefore low in flavor. I added butter pats and mayo to my beef bowl and was still hungry again in an hour. Every last one of their salad dressings is fat free and high in sugar. If you have a choice, steer clear of Panera.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuvia View Post
My kids and I used to really enjoy eating lunches out. And, of course, I enjoyed having one meal with no dishes to do.

Any recommendations of restaurants or common restaurant dishes that are NK friendly? I have already figured out that Panera has a "secret gluten-free power menu" and some of those dishes work. Also, Elevation Burger will serve your burger on a lettuce wrap. But, I'd like more options.

You can have beef, chicken, fish, and pork without breading. Add some steamed vegetables or salad with butter or low carb dressing. I also like to have bacon and eggs when we eat out. It really is not too hard to eat out low carb if you keep it simple. My husband and I do not eat out very often, but when we do, I keep it simple and realize that there may be some hidden carbs in the food and that they do not use the right kind of fats. As long as we do not do it too often, I am fine with that.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
That's a breve...and be careful with those - they use 1/2 cup or more of the cream, and if they use half and half you're looking at at least 10 carbs per drink.
Interesting enough that half and half does not affect my weight loss, but vegetables do. I do splurge on half and half when we go out for coffee, but that is not often. You have to decide if it affects you or not.
Carolyn
Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuvia View Post
Alfredo sauce with chicken over sautéed spinach... OMG, that sounds so good!

Thx for the suggestions, everyone!
That does sound good. I like chicken breast with sour cream, salt, and pepper on it. It is just like a regular cream sauce.
Carolyn
Old 04-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
I've been known to carry a little jar of coconut oil in my purse and spoon it into my Americano with heavy whipping cream.

Yes, Starbucks has started to charge extra for HWC where I am too. I do Starbucks for a rare treat, it's not an everyday thing, so I'm OK with that.
What a good idea!

I only get SB once a month or so, but it still irks me. It appears they use half-and-half in most items, they have HWC there, so I just don't get why they charge extra for grabbing the HWC instead of the Half-n-Half. Not asking this of you, of course, just doesn't make sense to me. But, then again I think the same way of substitutions at restaurants.

I know there's a barista here (Dawn?) - maybe she knows why they charge extra.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
It appears they use half-and-half in most items, they have HWC there, so I just don't get why they charge extra for grabbing the HWC instead of the Half-n-Half.
It's probably because it costs them more and cuts into their bottom line.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mickeyschickie
Stats: 253/210/153
Start Date: January 2014
Jimmy Johns will make any of their sandwiches or subs into an "un-wich" aka lettuce wrap, hubby loved the Italian cc one in lettuce
mickeyschickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #29
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I don't know how wide spread it is but I have learned that S.B. has stopped serving 18% cream and now the choices are 10% (half and half), 5%, skim milk and soy milk. I have taken to carrying my own hwc in a gotoob along with sweetener.

The only type of restaurant I would have trouble eating at is Asian and that is probably doable but I avoid them.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:17 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Five Guys Burgers will do their burgers and hot dogs bunless. They put it in a container with all your toppings and give you a plastic fork and knife. Delish.