Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Day one, again.

Coming clean yet again.

I've been off track, avoiding talking about it. Over my known limits, slacking on my supplements. Eating off plan almost every day. The scale is sneaking up everyday and no... It's not water weight.

So, yday was groceries and pantry/fridge clean out time. Did pretty well with dinner last night, so... Meal 1 behind me. Sigh. Wish I could figure out why I self sabotage.

I'd like to blame it on stress or a certain situation but I can't. It's me not working my plan. I've gotten lazy and un organized, and complacent about finally being under 200. That stops today. If it doesn't, I will be right back where I started. I know the science, and the thrill I get with being in ketosis and actively losing. I also know how bad wheat and all grains are for me, and how miserable it can make me. I'm already feeling the cheats and off plan eating in my body (knees aching, BP up, had 2 bouts of indigestion in the last 4 days)

So, it stops today.

See y'all on track by tonight!
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Hi Susan - welcome aboard.

Yes - all of those are true - and one thing about NK, you get the great feeling of ketosis all of the time!

I used to live in Austin, definitely miss living there.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Welcome back!

Did you by chance read "why we get fat" ? For me, that book was a lifechanger, it made a lot of no-no foods really unappealing.

I also am doing sort of an association thing with wheat and sugar. I tell myself they are poison- which I really do believe- and that makes them much less apealing.

Some do better with a visual association.

Glad you are here!
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MeanieGal
Stats: 200/190/170
WOE: Ketogenic/HFLC
Start Date: March 28, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan41 View Post
Coming clean yet again.

I've been off track, avoiding talking about it. Over my known limits, slacking on my supplements. Eating off plan almost every day. The scale is sneaking up everyday and no... It's not water weight.

So, yday was groceries and pantry/fridge clean out time. Did pretty well with dinner last night, so... Meal 1 behind me. Sigh. Wish I could figure out why I self sabotage.

I'd like to blame it on stress or a certain situation but I can't. It's me not working my plan. I've gotten lazy and un organized, and complacent about finally being under 200. That stops today. If it doesn't, I will be right back where I started. I know the science, and the thrill I get with being in ketosis and actively losing. I also know how bad wheat and all grains are for me, and how miserable it can make me. I'm already feeling the cheats and off plan eating in my body (knees aching, BP up, had 2 bouts of indigestion in the last 4 days)

So, it stops today.

See y'all on track by tonight!
Congrats on starting over!!! I have been a recovering bulimarexic for many years and I struggle to stay in recovery. This particular way of eating really helps me mentally because I stay focused and don't allow for self-sabotage. I struggled with that (and still do!) for years. I like Keto because you must stay focused. My sponsor said something to me that really stuck "As long as I eat CLEAN, I don't self-sabotage and end up off the wagon". I have discovered that those words "eating clean" were my personal miracle, my mantra. Maybe it will be helpful to you???? Lord knows, I gather good advice everywhere on this site that I go.
MeanieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
I wondered where you were. It's not like you're the Lone Ranger here. A lot of us have done the same thing. I use to do it too, just stop. No apparent reason. I think it has to do with leptin resistance.

When I quit coming here, that's usually a sign, some how coming to this site helps hold me accountable. We all get to choose, over and over everyday, every meal. I have finally, finally, chosen to be healthy. The road I was on, was not heading where I wanted to go.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
hey, well done you for getting back on track, thats the hardest, I saw my weight creep up by 42lbs and while being miserable didn't do anything about it, it's great that you are getting back on the wagon.

I've fluctuated loads in the last year by letting stuff slide and having to start alllll over again. i'd probably be at goal by now if I hadn't let myself backslide, I think I spent at least 4 months gaining and losing the same 8-10lbs. Thats whats keeping my head straight now, I don't want to have to go through the effort of doing it all over I find it helps to keep my focus and seeing new numbers on the scale, I think keeping targets in mind is also helpful whether it's fitness, health weight whatever really.

i think we've all been there but main thing is you're back and re-committing so go you!!
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all the responses!

Yesterday was a good planned meals day, I can already tell I feel better with just two days behind me. It's really incredible the way carb laden food, especially wheat just simply makes me miserable. its even more astonishing that I ever try to bring them back in, knowing how it makes me feel.

I have good meals planned today. High fat items like avocado, bpc, chicken I roasted last night on greens with home made ranch. The scale this morning was 200.00 on the nose. Gah! That's a six lb gain from my lowest of 194 in late march. Thank goodness I am taking steps now instead of it being a 60 lb gain. Which... I know could easily happen.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaHV View Post
Welcome back!

Did you by chance read "why we get fat" ? For me, that book was a lifechanger, it made a lot of no-no foods really unappealing.

I also am doing sort of an association thing with wheat and sugar. I tell myself they are poison- which I really do believe- and that makes them much less apealing.

Some do better with a visual association.

Glad you are here!
I haven't read that one, I have a lot of good reads though, GCBC, Keto Adapted, The Art and Science of Low Carb to name a few. And several of Dr Atkins. The most recent is Wheat Belly and wow, mind blowing and yes... It really opened my eyes to the toxicity of modern wheat and grains.

However, they didn't stop me from going way off plan for the last three weeks. That's something that has to be handled in my head.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
I wondered where you were. It's not like you're the Lone Ranger here. A lot of us have done the same thing. I use to do it too, just stop. No apparent reason. I think it has to do with leptin resistance.

When I quit coming here, that's usually a sign, some how coming to this site helps hold me accountable. We all get to choose, over and over everyday, every meal. I have finally, finally, chosen to be healthy. The road I was on, was not heading where I wanted to go.
I'm here, just got off track, and yep.. Thank goodness I'm not alone in my struggles.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, glad your back and that you caught yourself before things got worse. That's something to be proud of too!! I read Wheat Belly too, really eye opening. One of the books that was a real game changer for me was Salt, Sugar, Fat by Michael Moss. You will never look at processed foods the same again. Well, at least I don't. Totally took away whatever desire I might have had to indulge.

Now the question I ask myself is, "what's my alternative?" Oh yeah, to be fat and unhealthy, get diabetes and become a rat in the big pharma maze? No, thank you.

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
Old 04-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Hi Susan, even though we have never "met", I started reading here Sept. 2013 and loved reading your posts. We have probably little in common age/weight wise, but your posts always registered with me. I love your honesty and sense of humor.

I'm glad you're back on board and I look forward to reading more of your posts. As the saying goes.....just get right back on the horse.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Good to 'see' you Susan. Welcome back to keto land!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Day 3, whew. Getting a complete handle on the slip sliding and thoughts of cheating all the time. Thank goodness. Had a good day yday with chicken tortilla soup without the tortilla strips of course and then sorta an accidental fast from 2pm til this morning (was too busy at work to eat, and too tired when I finally got into bed at 3am)

Today I work from noon til midnight, I've got breakfast of eggs and a little cheese planned, then taking chicken salad and romaine for wraps for today.

Am off for a few days after today and will be trying to get my macros in order.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lmhume0319
Stats: 258/164.2/145
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 04/13/2014
I'm starting today as well, and I'm also new to this forum. I've successfully done Atkins, but it's been awhile (well, I kept saying I was doing it and then cheating every day ... so, not so much, really). The more I read, the more I believe I need to be in ketosis to really kick-start my weight loss. I'm tracking, and at 4:30 pm, have had a good day. Yay! I plan to visit this site frequently for support. I remember the first week is a bit painful.
lmhume0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmhume0319 View Post
I'm starting today as well, and I'm also new to this forum. I've successfully done Atkins, but it's been awhile (well, I kept saying I was doing it and then cheating every day ... so, not so much, really). The more I read, the more I believe I need to be in ketosis to really kick-start my weight loss. I'm tracking, and at 4:30 pm, have had a good day. Yay! I plan to visit this site frequently for support. I remember the first week is a bit painful.
Hope you've had a good few days... I have! Back on track is the way to go. The joint pain that wheat and grains brings me is almost gone since my re commit.

I see your from Austin! We could be neighbors!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

So, quick update... Easter was off plan, so Monday morning I went back to the ole drawing board once again...

And today, first ketosis signs with supporting evidence on keto sticks (I know, unreliable but... I wanted to see if it showed along with the other things, and it did)

Main issue is this wicked headache.. It's a bad one. Light hurting my eyes kinda headache. I drank broth already and it's not subsiding. And I even slugged some pickle juice straight from the jar.

I'm not a headachy kind of person normally, it's really rare that I get one. Which is better for us? Real aspirin? Motrin? I have both those on hand.

I am thinking a warm shower may help too, maybe it's something in the air today since I've been outside in the garden for a few hours.

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-23-2014, 04:05 PM   #17
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sorry to hear of your headache. Feel better soon.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey Susan! Sorry about the headache and I know you probably can't do this, but I find a nap helps. I am not a headachie person either. But when I do get one, it's usually lack of sleep. Maybe even just sitting down, close your eyes and relaxing could help.

Feel better!!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan41 View Post
So, quick update... Easter was off plan, so Monday morning I went back to the ole drawing board once again...

And today, first ketosis signs with supporting evidence on keto sticks (I know, unreliable but... I wanted to see if it showed along with the other things, and it did)

Main issue is this wicked headache.. It's a bad one. Light hurting my eyes kinda headache. I drank broth already and it's not subsiding. And I even slugged some pickle juice straight from the jar.

I'm not a headachy kind of person normally, it's really rare that I get one. Which is better for us? Real aspirin? Motrin? I have both those on hand.

I am thinking a warm shower may help too, maybe it's something in the air today since I've been outside in the garden for a few hours.

Any other suggestions?
Drink lots of water and it will go away. It is probably a hangover from too many carbs on Easter.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote