Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abuvia
Stats: 170, 38" waist/136, 32"/125 or 30"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Let's talk cheating...

I know, I know: don't do it!

But, life happens and if I don't allow a few cheats, especially for special occasions, I suspect I won't manage to stick to this diet....

I started both NK and going gluten-free not quite 3 weeks ago. I've been doing well. My carbs are higher than a lot of people I see on here, but I've lost 8 lbs and consistently have the ketosis symptoms I've read about.

My daughter's bday party was today and I indulged in a quarter slice of cake and some carrots and tomatoes. I ended up consuming about 52 total carbs for the day and maybe 40 net carbs. This is about 25% higher than my usual intake since starting NK. And my macros were bad, about 22% carbs. :/

Then, upon getting home, I got really ill. Could this be an outcome of my cheat? Would my body rebel after only being NK/gluten-free for 3 weeks? Or, maybe I just caught a stomach bug.

Thoughts? Has anyone else had an experience like this related to cheating on NK or a gluten-free diet?

Thx.
abuvia is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

I should add that I did have some flax seeds at lunch yesterday which have upset my stomach (though not THIS much) in the past. So, they may be another possible culprit. Though it seems unlikely they would effect me some 30 hours later...
Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I get a stomachache if I consume simple carbs. A small slice of birthday cake would definitely do that to me, though a few bites of tomato would not. I don't know about after being in ketosis for just a few weeks, but certainly after being on plan for months, yes. I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but it is my normal.

As for how I manage this long-term, I allow myself to eat up to one serving (a real serving, not a meal) of an off-plan food no more than three times per year, and it has to be planned. I don't always have all three, but three is the maximum of the deal I've made with myself. That's a good balance between indulging in a special restaurant or trip, and staying on course.

Last year, I chose to have a few bites (not even a full serving) twice, which was just how it worked out. So far this year, it's been once. It's never been enough to kick me out of ketosis, but if it does happen, it happens.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:272 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
I think if you clump all your carb allowance into one meal then you can end up with problems. This is what happened to me when I ate a stone fruit. It tasted wonderful, fit my macros but still I felt awful the rest of the day. I also recently ate two squares of 85% Chocolate and felt similarly, so it wasn't just the fruit. If I had gone over the carb allowance and eaten grains... I would be miserable as I don't eat any at all.

I have heard that after a while in ketosis, your gut adapts and then if you drop a bunch of carbs on it, it struggles to produce the correct enzymes to digest it. Eating lots of carbs would also cause more of an insulin spike that we're used to. It's kind of scary given how numbed we become to it when we eat high carb all the time.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
When I've cheated I've felt like I had food poisoning the next day, Had lunch out with my husband the other week and ate a tiny bread role and then had to make a dash for the loo. horrible. On the plus side its made me uber aware of just picking at stuff because its there.
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/182/135 (26-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I'm looking forward to defining a sustainable approach for myself. I just thought of a great, accurate term: eating in excess (of plan).

I look forward to the upcoming year, to better understand how decisions at a meal reflect in the next day's ketone level and corresponding mental and physical feelings, and then how quickly to fully recover.

I look forward to others experiences in the upcoming months. What might be interesting to share: previous ketone rating, higher carb meal or day and subsequent day's blood rating and how long it takes to get back into full ketosis. I know all of our bodies are different, but it would be interesting to hear anecdotal experiences and get a better understanding of recovery time.

I don't anticipate eating in excess any time soon, but it might happen and I want to better understand the impact and the recovery. Ntombi, I like your planned approach, which shows that you're in control and it's not impulsive.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have occasionally made a 'miss step'. I am talking a half an organic small beet and a bit of wheat filler in a burger and had the very unpleasant gastric 'evacuation' response. I am very careful now and avoid those foods at all cost. Just not worth it for me.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Yesterday I ate some leftover tomatoes with basil, as sauce for my shiritake noodles.
I also finished half of a pear I had cut up into my full fat yogurt. My highest carb day in a long time. Lessons for me: never buy the large cans of tomatoes because they are on sale. My husband can do well with the regular size can and not leave leftovers. I've always wanted to try the shirtake noodles and there they were at the store. They were pretty good, but I ate two servings in tomato sauce. And the pear, I didn't want to throw it out. In all cases I was avoiding throwing food out. Lesson: don't bring it into the house, or throw it out. I will definitely purchase the noodles again, but only when I have a recipe in mind, and not to use leftover tomatoes. I allow myself small servings of yogurt once or twice a week, but not to carry fruit. Fortunately I feel fine today and motivated to get back on track. I have been stalled and really can't blame my scale, it's my own damn fault.

Last edited by Patience; 04-06-2014 at 07:09 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences.

This morning my 5 year old had the same tummy troubles that I did last night. So, now I'm leaning towards a short-lived stomach bug. I feel fine today and am getting back on track. I've planned the next two days with only about 60% of the carbs is usually consume, so that should help me ease back into ketosis... If I did, in fact, leave it.

Sbarr, I like your idea of reporting on blood levels and recovery times. I can't contribute at this time as I haven't been testing my blood; just monitoring myself for bad breath, lack of hunger, etc... I figure I will spring for a meter when I hit my first plateau.

And I also like the idea of planning cheats and limiting the number in each year. This cheat was planned, but I could have been a bit more thoughtful about it. I also should have compensated with a lower-carb breakfast than I usually eat as I knew it was coming...
Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fitforever
Stats: 5'10", 140 lbs - at optimum weight
WOE: Low Carb Ketogenic Diet
Start Date: January 2014
I do a carb night once a week and it does not kick me out of ketosis. BJJ Caveman has a wondeful site that details the impack on blood glucose and ketones from carb nights. I really like this site because my results are the same. After a carb night meal of 200-300 carb grams my next morning BG is in the mid 90's and ketones .01-.03. The next day I am back consuming less that 30 grams of carbs and the next morning my BG and ketones are back to my normal ketosis fasted state of 84-85 and .04-.08. This makes my wife happy when we go out and we share meals that include potatoes, desserts and drinks.
Fitforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
I have not done it, but from what I have read, it looks like most people feel pretty awful after treating themselves to something not keto. There are also people who do like a carb-reload, and if they do that every week I don't know how that works. I think some will decide it is worth it, and some will decide it is not. I rarely get a day to just feel sick, so I have not wanted to go there yet.

Last edited by EricaHV; 04-07-2014 at 10:25 AM..
EricaHV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuvia View Post
I know, I know: don't do it!

But, life happens and if I don't allow a few cheats, especially for special occasions, I suspect I won't manage to stick to this diet....

I started both NK and going gluten-free not quite 3 weeks ago. I've been doing well. My carbs are higher than a lot of people I see on here, but I've lost 8 lbs and consistently have the ketosis symptoms I've read about.

My daughter's bday party was today and I indulged in a quarter slice of cake and some carrots and tomatoes. I ended up consuming about 52 total carbs for the day and maybe 40 net carbs. This is about 25% higher than my usual intake since starting NK. And my macros were bad, about 22% carbs. :/

Then, upon getting home, I got really ill. Could this be an outcome of my cheat? Would my body rebel after only being NK/gluten-free for 3 weeks? Or, maybe I just caught a stomach bug.

Thoughts? Has anyone else had an experience like this related to cheating on NK or a gluten-free diet?

Thx.
I find that cheating is always a bad idea for me to do. If I eat the wrong thing, I immediately go up 3 to 5 pounds, and it takes me weeks to take it off again. It definitely is not worth it.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
I actually had a dream over the weekend that I did a really bad cheating episode (like, some candy bars and a bag of Doritos), and in the dream I felt horribly, terribly guilty afterwards. Then when I woke up it was like, "Whew! It was only a dream!"
JohnAndHisCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:53 AM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndHisCat View Post
I actually had a dream over the weekend that I did a really bad cheating episode (like, some candy bars and a bag of Doritos), and in the dream I felt horribly, terribly guilty afterwards. Then when I woke up it was like, "Whew! It was only a dream!"
This is known kiddingly as a 'carbmare'.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:09 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
That's hilarious

I had a few similar dreams when I quit smoking....cigmares?
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
LOL... I have had a few carbmares!
EricaHV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post

LOL! I remember a movie star who said that he was dieting and he dreamed that he ate a giant marshmallow. In the morning his pillow had disappeared.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndHisCat View Post
I can't believe it, but I actually just did it: I just ate a (small) bag of Doritos. Biggest cheat on my diet yet! Ahhhh!

However I had a bit of an extreme circumstance: I'd been doing some work in the field at work and was pretty famished and hungry, even after eating my salad for lunch. So it's not something I'd normally do.

Shame on me!
JohnAndHisCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shaselai
Stats: 297/207/176
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2/24/2014
when i cheat i get subway tuna salad salad 4 scoops of tuna.... or couple of burgers from fast food place and eat the meat...

I still not sure how to cheat with pizza though... the new papajohns peperoni bacon pizza looks yummy...
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soonergal76
Stats: 388/342/150
Start Date: 01/12/2014
There are many articles I have found online about cheating, carb cycling, carb reloading, etc.

I'm new to the board, but been doing this WOE since 01/12/14. Not an expert by any means!

But, have lost 39 lbs. since I started (little less than 4 months) and once a month, I have a cheat day. I don't eat junk food or cake or ice cream or rice or pasta on my cheat days... I might eat a baked potato (small) with my steak or have a couple of slices of cheesy garlic bread with my salad. It keeps me sane... I have a long way to go! But I think different things work for different people. What works for me may not work for you and vice versa. Some people can probably get away with a lot more even they I have.
soonergal76 is offline   Reply With Quote