Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 10:17 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: easwann
Stats: was 240lbs am 198 lbs
WOE: Peace, meat, water, and eggs!
Start Date: learning everyday
I think I am going to get one and use it as incentive to quit smoking. I can afford one with just 2 weeks of not buying cigarettes!
easwann is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
It kind of looks like an electronic cig. You could blow on that when you want a cigarette.

No, seriously, that would be a wonderful thing to quit smoking for. Win win for your health!
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
You got it!!! Do you like it!?!
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:02 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Nope, still don't have it. Getting a little worried now. I went through this already trying to get ketone blood test strips that never showed up, but thanks to PayPal I got my money back. Now I hope I don't have to play the game with the ketonix people, but it's only been about 2 weeks.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

It is shipping internationally, right? That can take a really long time. I ship and receive international packages... average is 2-3 weeks, but it can take even longer.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:29 PM   #36
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MarieD
WOE: NK / low carb
Start Date: Low carb for years; NK since 8/12
I just ordered one; looking forward to giving it a try. I don't want to do the blood meter. I guess I shouldn't look for it to arrive any time soon!

Last edited by MarieD; 04-18-2014 at 06:38 PM..
MarieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #37
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
posting to subscribe!
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:41 AM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caseyjmc
Stats: 235/193/150
WOE: Westman Plan LCHF Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: August 2014
Spoke to the head guy

I had an email conversation with the Ketonix guy, who said that the meter won't work right if used by someone who is eating carbs because it is meant to measure the amount of ketones being produced by the liver through the gases emitted by our lungs. A person eating lots of carbs puts off totally different chemicals, so it has nothing to measure and will produce almost any response.

Burning fat creates a specific gas, and that's what the meter looks for. So, if you try to test the accuracy of the Ketonix by having a non-lchf family member try it, any color could appear.

Finally makes sense to me. Since I am in ketosis, it measures my levels pretty accurately given what I know i am eating. I've learned that I can use, say, liquid splenda a little bit, but not a lot. And it has to be combined with a lot of high fat, such as coconut milk (the canned kind), heavy cream, butter, etc. if I only use it in my coffee with a TBSP of cream, my readings tend to show less ketones. But if i use it with 4 TBSP of cream, no problem.
Caseyjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieD View Post
I just ordered one; looking forward to giving it a try. I don't want to do the blood meter. I guess I shouldn't look for it to arrive any time soon!
It took two weeks for me to get mine, but it did come, complete with a pouch to keep it in.

Just remember when you do get it, it takes a long time when you plug it in for it to warm up. It starts with a blinking blue light. When it turns solid, it's ready.

Take a normal breath (not a deep one!) and exhale normally into the meter for at least 15 seconds and until you are mildly out of breath. Make sure you cover the mouthpiece completely so no air escapes out the sides.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Casey. I've been practicing so I'll be ready when it comes. It's hard to fight the urge to take a deep breath before blowing slowly and gently but for a long 15 seconds.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

I used to teach music education--band, choir, etc. Try practicing by taking the breath and keeping your teeth clenched while allowing the air to escape through your front teeth in a hissing sound. It's not too hard to get past 15 seconds that way!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

OK, it came! It quickly turned to steady blue, but when I tried it there was no change--no blinking, no color change.

I'm not surprised if I'm not in ketosis. I sort of overdid some dark chocolate just after lunch. And I think that I read somewhere that it takes a few days of use for it to really start to have any accuracy (can't remember where I read that or did I just make it up?). At least I'll be able to try it multiple times without costing more money.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:50 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Looking forward to your results!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MarieD
WOE: NK / low carb
Start Date: Low carb for years; NK since 8/12
I got mine today - wow in less than a week - from Sweden! It works great - I got green, moderate, which coincides with my urine stick medium pink. I don't really get deep into ketosis, I have a feeling I won't see red anytime soon. Anyway, fun new gadget.
MarieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

OK, I think it's pretty good so far. I waited until bedtime to test again last night and got green--moderate ketones. I had a pretty low carb dinner, so that made sense. This morning, it's yellow, which makes sense because ketones tend to be lowest in the morning if you're low carbing. I read an explanation that it's because your body has to secrete a little glucose in the early morning hours to wake you up and get you going.

I'm pleased because I've also been experimenting with some resistant starch. I had tumeric tea with potato starch in it (and lots of coconut milk) last night after dinner, and some rice wraps and rice noodles at lunch. And I'm STILL in ketosis--whoo hoo!!!!

It's not quite a geeky as being able to tell if I'm .09 vs 1.2 in ketosis, but it's nice to see that I AM in ketosis and some idea between trace and deep ketosis. I'm happy with that. And if I use it twice a day (I bet I'll use it more at first!) I'll break even over the cost of test strips within a month.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:19 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Janknitz - keep us posted. My inner geek likes the numbers, but my innate cheapness might win as I get closer to goal.

Off topic, do you have any links for threads on resistant starch that were helpful - I have turmeric on my list of things to add into my regimen (and if potato starch is beneficial and can be lumped into evening tea, all the better).
Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Janknitz - keep us posted. My inner geek likes the numbers, but my innate cheapness might win as I get closer to goal.

Off topic, do you have any links for threads on resistant starch that were helpful - I have turmeric on my list of things to add into my regimen (and if potato starch is beneficial and can be lumped into evening tea, all the better).
There was a post about this in the paleo group, I am not sure how useful it is I just skimmed it and sulked out since I don't think I can handle it. lol.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

This is it sbarr :

Resistant Starch
Old 04-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

I'll keep you posted. I have a feeling it's going to be mostly boring--trace ketones in the morning, moderate at night.

I might try to work myself into red (high ketones) to see if that changes anything. I've been pretty stalled for a LOOONG time (adding resistant starch is not causing me to gain weight, but I'm not losing either).
Old 04-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Whoo, hoo! Yellow (moderate carbs) before lunch, and I had three homemade salad rolls for breakfast.

When you look on the package of rice wraps, it says one serving is 84 grams of carbs!

BUT, that's for 1/4 of the package. I neglected to count, but I think there's at least 20 wraps in there (maybe a lot more), and an article I read said that it might be up to 40% or more resistant starch. So even if the starch was not resistant, it's still low carb. I've been looking for something to enjoy wraps with. I saw Paleo coconut wraps at WF--$9.99 for 10 wraps! In contrast, these rice wraps are around $1.79 for at least 20 (I will count next time I get a package).

I made my salad wraps with rice noodles (last time shirataki noodles), smoked trout (can't eat seafood or I'd totally go for shrimp!), avocado, mint, basil, cilantro and lettuce. Yum, yum! And I made a homemade "peanut" sauce from almonds, coconut milk and spices. Plus some xylitol (which also did not throw me out of ketosis ).
Old 04-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Hi, I have been reading the Keto threads trying to decide if I want to try this.

I saw your questions on resistant starch. There are several posts in JUDDD on this subject. RS needs to be cold to be effective. Adding it to hot tea will not be the same. Cold potatoes or cold rice are considered RS. I put it into smoothies. There are posts online about potato hacks and this ties into this along with PHD diet by the Jamminets....( Perfect Health Diet)

Start Googling and you will come up with quite a bit.

Since your rice wraps are cold, they would probably be fine. Your wraps sound yummy. I'll have to look into them.

Last edited by Seabreezes; 04-22-2014 at 07:58 PM..
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BaconLover
Stats: 310/283/210
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: In between stresses--restart after house sells.
Hello all,

First time poster, long time lurker. I've finally gotten my wife on-board to this WOE just this last week, so that has made it immeasurably easier to stay in ketosis.

Anyway, I'm thinking about buying the ketonix breathalyzer (actually, from reviews online, 2.0 is maybe about to come out--I'm waiting on that) and look forward to what you all think about the device. I have a precision extra, but the test strips are really cost prohibitive. I'm debating on whether to buy in a few weeks or wait until we both get further down the road on weight loss.

I really like the forum. Very encouraging. We made some LC pancakes (eggs and cream cheese) the other morning--awesome! I'm going to try to make some almond butter/chocolate fat bombs today.

Thanks for being here.
BaconLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Bacon - Welcome! great to hear that it's a family campaign that you can succeed at together.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #54
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome Baconlover!!

Has anyone determined which of the ketones this machine tests for?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #55
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Hi, I have been reading the Keto threads trying to decide if I want to try this.

I saw your questions on resistant starch. There are several posts in JUDDD on this subject. RS needs to be cold to be effective. Adding it to hot tea will not be the same. Cold potatoes or cold rice are considered RS. I put it into smoothies. There are posts online about potato hacks and this ties into this along with PHD diet by the Jamminets....( Perfect Health Diet)

Start Googling and you will come up with quite a bit.

Since your rice wraps are cold, they would probably be fine. Your wraps sound yummy. I'll have to look into them.
This is a very interesting subject and has been touched on before on this forum. I have done a bit of research and the information is not entirely clear. One thing for sure is that cold potatoes or bananas are never going to be part of a ketogenic woe that I can see.

However, I think that glucomannan powder or konjac yam are considered a resistant starch and can be included in a keto woe. I would love to hear others' take on this. Need a new thread.

Welcome Baconlover!

Has anyone determined which of the ketones this machine tests for ?

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Welcome Baconlover!!

Has anyone determined which of the ketones this machine tests for?
According to the website, it's acetone.

BHB for the blood meter, acetoacetate for the Ketostix, and acetone for the Ketonix breath meter.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

It brings up a question. Some people on another site thread I read are buying $5 pocket breathalyzer meters instead. If police breathalyzer measure ketones, could we falsely test positive for alcohol if pulled over??? Do we need to carry a card that says:"ketogenic dieter, test blood for presence of alcohol" or something????
Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 AM   #58
Chatty Cathy

Thanks BaconLover!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
It brings up a question. Some people on another site thread I read are buying $5 pocket breathalyzer meters instead. If police breathalyzer measure ketones, could we falsely test positive for alcohol if pulled over??? Do we need to carry a card that says:"ketogenic dieter, test blood for presence of alcohol" or something????
That sounds like a pain in the ass if they can confuse the two.

I think though that in most places the breathalyzers are just a way to decide whether to take you down to the station and take blood. You won't get convicted of anything just from breathalyzer test.
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
That sounds like a pain in the ass if they can confuse the two.

I think though that in most places the breathalyzers are just a way to decide whether to take you down to the station and take blood. You won't get convicted of anything just from breathalyzer test.
Maybe. A friend in TN was telling me that if you refuse a breathalyzer, it's an automatic DUI.

Wikipedia says they measure alcohol not ketones. Not sure about the $5 models, though.

Last edited by BaconLover; 04-23-2014 at 01:54 PM..