Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: reno
Everything bagels

Just got my shipment, couldn't wait to try these! Had one toasted for breakfast with cream cheese. The label says 2 net carbs....2 hrs later, i did a Keto test strip and it read NEGATIVE! First time in 1.5 months i haven't been in ketosis! I check every night! Already out of ketosis after breakfast??? Back in ketosis before bed, tried it again this morning (i love the bagels) and WHAT? out of ketosis again! Thoughts???
reno is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
You may not be as deep in ketosis as you thought. The results you get at night reflect the fat you've eaten throughout the day. Go by your morning readings, and if they are below 0.5, you're not really in ketosis. (I'm assuming you're blood testing...if you're using ketostix, any number of things can throw off the reading.)

I checked out the ingredients on the bagel label, and they look ok. That said, every body is different. It could be that your body doesn't like the wheat in it and is reacting to that. Jimmy Moore did a great series on his blog in which he showed the results of his own blood-sugar tests before and after eating a few of the low-carb breads and pastas. He had blood-sugar spikes with every one of them, but other low-carbers can eat them with impunity. :/

I'd suggest you do a baseline blood-sugar test in the morning, then have a bagel, and test your blood sugar a half hour later to see if it spikes up in response to the bagel. If it does, that may kick you out of ketosis and you'd be better off skipping the bagels.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
I don't eat grains of any kind so this kind of low carb replacement wouldn't be possible for me. That said, even if I could, I'd be very skeptical about anything made of mostly grains that said it was 'low carb'. A lot of places just add fiber to standard grain flours so it looks like the net carbs are okay on the label. Of course, adding fiber to a recipe doesn't make something low carb. For something to be low carb it has to naturally have most of its carbs in a way we can't absorb (i.e. fiber).
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
OMG!! Just took a look at the video of the nice man using Julian Bread as a sponge. Hilarious!

I would love to be able to eat a low carb product but usually, when I examine the label, I find things that would surely drive my blood sugar up. Just not in the cards for me...Sigh.
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgee'sMom View Post
OMG!! Just took a look at the video of the nice man using Julian Bread as a sponge. Hilarious!

I would love to be able to eat a low carb product but usually, when I examine the label, I find things that would surely drive my blood sugar up. Just not in the cards for me...Sigh.
Yeah, it's an awesome video. I think it turned me off of carb replacements for life. I guess that's good as I can't feel sorry for myself
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote