Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mysonsmom
Stats: 273/219/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 22, 2014
READY TO GIVE UP ON KETO!!

So over this! I need help! I started the ketodiet on February 22nd, 2014, today is my 27th day and I haven't lost any weight since the first week.

SW/226.5 lbs. 5'7"
day 2/227
day 3/227.5
day 4/225
day 5/224
day 6/222
day 7/220
day 8-10/219
day 11-16/222
day 17-27/219

As you can see, days 11-17, I gained and lost the same 3 lbs. so I don't consider that a loss that week.

I was also on day 5 of 7 of my monthly when I started LCHF. To my surprise it lasted 14 additional days, uggggg!

My diet is the same everyday, I NEVER cheat!
Fat/ 76%
Protein/18%
Carb/ 6%

B: 3-eggs, 2-bacon, 1-tbsp butter, 1/2 cup heavy cream, 16 oz. coffee.
L: 2 C. spinach, 2 C. Romaine, 4 oz. chicken breast, 2 tbsp flax seeds, 4 tbsp ranch dressing.
D: 2 C broccoli, 1-tbsp butter, 1-tbsp flax seeds, steak 4 oz., or ground beef 4 oz.
Some days I cook my eggs in coconut oil instead of butter. I also drink 100-120 oz. of water per day.

I thought I may need to begin exercising to help encourage the weight loss, so for the past 3 days I've been walking 3.5 mph for 30 min and weight lifting. No change at all, not one ounce!!!!!

Any thoughts? Maybe I am one of those people that wont benefit from this diet. Thinking I may just be spinning my wheels!
mysonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Flax seeds caused me to have excess bleeding. Were the flax seeds new to your diet?

Weight loss on keto is not a straight line, it's more like a stair step and those steps can be very long. In my case, I would have a month or two bouncing within 3 or so pounds, then whoosh, a new "bounce point" 3 or 4 pounds down. The body seems to need to adjust to each new "step".

Last edited by Janknitz; 03-20-2014 at 04:36 PM..
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

No, the flax have been a regular part of my diet, but since doing keto, I am consistent daily!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

In the past on different diets, I've always lost the large amounts in the beginning, easily 7-10 lbs. the first week, then consistently 2-3 lbs. each week after, until I'd quit, and gain a large amount back due to hunger. I thought this diet would be different because I could stay around 1500 calories without being hungry, which would encourage me to keep going to my goal. But now seeing results is very discouraging!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Sorry, NOT seeing results in very discouraging!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
WOE: NK
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Why don't try upping your fat some and see if that helps. Here's a grat article Geiri just posted in the Main Lobby:

WHY THE SCALES CAN LIE!!!!

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

PATTERNS OF WEIGHT LOSS

Common patterns of weight loss from tracking a lot of people who become assimilated into the low carb lifestyle, a pattern emerges.... the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported. This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each!

So... what gives? Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin anti-diuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occurring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite suppression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a *good* thing.

From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet. By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight (whichever is the lower number). So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occurring.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
I don't really have a good answer, but I wonder if the stress of weighing yourself every day is causing problems for you (it releases cortisol which can cause issues). I have had that problem, I tend to see better results if I only weigh myself once a week.

Caffeine also causes a hormonal response, so that may be a problem.

I am the opposite. I have tried (and sustained calorie restriction with high activity level for LONG amounts of time) and not had results, in some cases gained, so my personal experience really makes me think that calories in/vs out theory is pretty meaningless. I am tracking still only because it proves that I am eating WAY more calories and losing :/

I hope you find an answer.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysonsmom View Post
So over this! I need help! I started the ketodiet on February 22nd, 2014, today is my 27th day and I haven't lost any weight since the first week.

SW/226.5 lbs. 5'7"
day 2/227
day 3/227.5
day 4/225
day 5/224
day 6/222
day 7/220
day 8-10/219
day 11-16/222
day 17-27/219

As you can see, days 11-17, I gained and lost the same 3 lbs. so I don't consider that a loss that week.

I was also on day 5 of 7 of my monthly when I started LCHF. To my surprise it lasted 14 additional days, uggggg!

Fat/ 76%
Protein/18%
Carb/ 6%

L: 2 C. spinach, 2 C. Romaine, 4 oz. chicken breast, 2 tbsp flax seeds, 4 tbsp ranch dressing.
D: 2 C broccoli, 1-tbsp butter, 1-tbsp flax seeds, steak 4 oz., or ground beef 4 oz.
Some days I cook my eggs in coconut oil instead of butter. I also drink 100-120 oz. of water per day.

I thought I may need to begin exercising to help encourage the weight loss, so for the past 3 days I've been walking 3.5 mph for 30 min and weight lifting. No change at all, not one ounce!!!!!

Any thoughts? Maybe I am one of those people that wont benefit from this diet. Thinking I may just be spinning my wheels!
It could be that you are eating too many vegetables. Vegetables always stall me and make me gain. I also cannot have flax seeds. Also you are eating a lot of protein. Try cutting down on that and eating more fat instead. If I eat more than about 4 oz of protein a day, I always stall. Exercise will make you retain water which will keep the scale weight from going down. Also how much weight do you have to lose? If you are close to your goal weight, it will take forever to lose those last few pounds. I lose at about 2 pounds a month, but I did not lose anything last month. I ate some vegetables and definitely stalled because of them. I think of this plan as a long term eating plan and not just for losing weight. I am doing it for my health.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
Stats: 180/134/120
Start Date: 9/2/2013
Lovetoknit, is 4 oz of protein a day a typo? That's less than 30 g of protein. OP is 5'7" and would require more protein to maintain lean body mass.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the encouragement! I've considered giving up the coffee, but its my go to for energy with a 2 and 4 yr old home with me all day. Its worth a try if it will help me get past this plateau!
Also, thanks for the article! Gives good perspective to hang in there and allow my body to work on its own timeline! Its a much better feeling to think that my body is holding water than to think that keto isn't working!
I will update in two weeks, that will put me at the end of week 6.

Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #11
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Ratios are not the way to go. You need to track actual grams of macro nutrients and their nutrient values. It looks like you are consuming something like 100 g of protein or more and that my need to be reduced.

You may also try cutting dairy.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
Lovetoknit, is 4 oz of protein a day a typo? That's less than 30 g of protein. OP is 5'7" and would require more protein to maintain lean body mass.
That is not a typo. I actually feel the best when I keep my protein that low. On Sunday, I do have a large steak, but it does make me gain for a few days. I am considering cutting that way down as well. I am not having a problem maintaining lean body mass. I do get plenty of calories with my fat intake. In fact I would say that I feel much stronger than I did when I started. I have been doing this for a year. I have lost over 30 pounds and 2 clothes sizes. It will probably take me another 2 years to lose the rest of my weight. which is about another 30 pounds. I am good with that. It took me 10 years to gain it all after all. My clothes that I am now wearing are definitely getting looser on me. If I stay away from vegetables I really feel good. Vegetables make my hands and feet hurt. I like them however, so I eat them once in a while.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
mysonsmom - your progress for the month is pretty good and a fast start will always slow down. I know it's so frustrating.
  • The weight lifting can also add water weight - is this something you've been doing all along or did you just add it?
  • I would agree with Clackey about looking at the calories and basic numbers, aside from the percentages. I can tell you from very recent experience, I learned a lot and had to come to a screeching halt some days when I was getting close to my limits.
  • How many carbs in the dressing?
  • The flax is also something you might want to reconsider - if you're looking for the omegas, you might consider chia seeds.

Hang in there - I do think that HFLC can work, even where other plans might fail.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

My actual protein is kept around 70 g
Old 03-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

sbarr,

Do you think Chia seeds are better for HFLC? According to my food tracker, chia seeds are 2.2 g fat, 3.5 g carb, and 1.5 g protein/ per 1 tbsp. Flax seeds are 3.5 g fat, 2.5 g carbs, 1.5 g protein/ per 1 tbsp. Flax has more fat and less carbs per serving which looks better on paper. Is there something about flax that's bad for HFLC that I am unaware of? I'm only one month into the keto diet and have a lot to learn. All new information is appreciated information to me!!!

Thanks
Old 03-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Not sure if chia are much different from low carb perspective but they are a good option to consider.

I did see the above post about it causing heavy bleeding, but I can't speak from personal experience.

I love chia seeds, they're so versatile, don't go rancid. I think if the world was coming to an end and I could have 10# of something to sustain me, I would pick chia seeds.

I'm new also, so hope that someone else will weigh in (pun intended).
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
This pattern happens on most diets... your body is catching up. It is almost always around end of 2nd week to some time in 3rd, 4th or 5th week. You'll stair step.

You might also want to add some vitamin C to your menu... maybe squeeze half a lemon on salad?
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:02 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
I hear you...a number of us have had this problem on starting LCHF. The body stores excess estrogen in fat cells, so as you lose fat, the estrogen is released into your system which can cause all kinds of fun problems. I have terrible cramps on LC, and I never had them before in my life.

Flaxseed is good for helping the body process estrogen out via the digestive system, but too much is counterproductive since it can be estrogenic. Try limiting your flax to 1 TB/day, maybe 2 on occasion. If you want more fiber, try chia seed instead. Chia is really good, and it has some interesting gelling properties that make it fun to cook with. Chia seeds are also net zero on the carbs, so they're a good way to get some extra fiber in your diet.

Be patient...if you stick with it, the weight loss will pick up again. If your cycle is that far out of whack it may take some time for the loss to show up, but then you'll get a nice WHOOSH!
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
when I am around TOM,cannot lose and gain easily even on a Fat fast,
IF,or LC.it freaks me out when I gain fasting.but it is always water weight,which I lose after TOM is over,but many times I forget that and freaks out.since your cycle was long,patience is the key here.
lowcarbella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:08 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
Start Date: April 2012
Too many veggies for me. I wouldn't lose eating that much. Also 1/2 cup heavy cream is a lot considering what else you are eating.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
Start Date: April 2012
I put your posted meal into a tracker. Here's the breakdown: 1788 calories, 144g fat, 84g protein, 15 net carbs. I would personally have to lower my carbs and protein if I was going to eat that many fat calories. You could do one of two things: either lower your carbs and protein some OR lower your fat some to get your calories down(maybe 200-300.) Just wanted to share what I have found that works for me.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #22
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:

SW/226.5 lbs. 5'7"
day 2/227
day 3/227.5
day 4/225
day 5/224
day 6/222
day 7/220
day 8-10/219
day 11-16/222
day 17-27/219

Fat/ 76%
Protein/18%
Carb/ 6%

This amounts to approx. 102 grams of protein (conservatively) and that may be too much for your individual needs.

You are also consuming over 30g of carbohydrate (again, conservatively calculated) and many folks have to keep it under 20g. This is 20 grams of total carbs.... not netting out.

It is not a good idea to employ exercise as a means of speeding up weight loss at this point. It would be better to be fully adapted (go for 6 wks.) before bringing in exercise and even then be prepared for a potential small gain of fluids.

Last edited by clackley; 03-22-2014 at 07:12 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #23
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
You've lost a normal amount for the amount of time you've been following the plan. You need to realize it is not all going to disappear at once. You really have nothing to complain about in my book.

Also realize it is NOT about the scale. Fat loss will show in inches. The scale just reports total weight at any given moment. It is pretty meaningless when it comes to measuring fat loss.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sharvo
Advice above is good, also, consider tracking by measurements instead of scale. Your body maybe replacing fat cells w/muscle (especially if you've started exercising) which is healthier but not reflected on the scale.
Sharvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:16 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JohnAndHisCat
WOE: General low-carb, bit of a Ketogenic focus
Start Date: February 2014
For the first week I lost only a couple pounds, then one weekend after week 2 I suddenly lost, like, 3 pounds. Then I stayed around that weight for about 3 weeks, now the past week I've lost another 5 pounds. It comes in spurts, give it a chance.
JohnAndHisCat is offline   Reply With Quote