Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   1 week in - very encouraged (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/826054-1-week-very-encouraged.html)

sbarr 03-17-2014 09:10 AM

1 week in - very encouraged

This has been a great week with HFLC - Nutritional ketosis approach is really hitting home with me. I have such a renewed enthusiasm that I'd lost in the past few years - maybe because this is REALLY working for me. It's definitely more stringent, but I've addressed that by planning my days in advance, documenting on a popular food tracking program (m.f.p.).

Using this tool (***) helped me defer a delicious already made chicken salad to the next day because it would push me over on protein. Whereas that dish would have been almost a freebie when I was exclusively counting carbs, not paying attention to protein.

I'm pretty much down 7-8# from my bloated state last weekend. I have also incorporated diatomaceous earth (JUDDD forum has a great thread on that).

My mainstay - bulletproof coffee with eggs and Jay Robb has been modified - I removed the second egg to give me some protein buffer. And, that has been an eye-opener. I always thought of eggs as "freebies" and the more protein the better, but the protein adds up. The Jay Robb might be reduced over time to better accommodate protein with mouth appeal.

The Art and Science of Low Carb came in the mail on Saturday and I want to continue reading it today. I am going to order a blood ketone meter and some sticks so that I can be more in touch with how my eating affects my blood levels.

My main goal for today is to define my eating for the rest of the week, including incorporating an anchor dish at dinner that I can eat with my 5 yo daughter. The more meals we can share together, the better habits she will develop.

EricaHV 03-17-2014 10:17 AM

Congratulations!

I have been using an online service to track. I had to tweak it a little, but mostly I try to keep the protein at a certain level and let myself eat unlimited amounts of fat, which actually ends up staying pretty steady. I am learning as I go that some plant foods are giving me trouble. For example, I tried eating berries a few times and it gave me food cravings and really terrible mood swings. I also have been allergic to tomatoes my entire life but eat them occasionally anyway. Since starting NK I am noticing that I have more negative effects from eating them. I think I just feel so much better in NK that I actually notice now when eating tomatoes make me feel yucky. I will probably still eat tomatoes, but maybe more cautiously.

It is so great to hear from someone excited about making this change, because I am so very excited about it!

sbarr 03-17-2014 10:56 AM

Fresh fruit is going to be a challenge for me this summer - I have 8 dwarf fruit trees (apple, peach, nectarine, pear, apricot), the peaches are so delicious they almost bring tears when eaten warm off the tree standing in the yard. I won't eat a store-bought peach anymore.

I added the first two trees the year my daughter was born, she'll be 6 next month and I wanted to be able to walk through the yard with her, pick fruit off a tree and eat it standing there next to the tree to promote a sense of "food from the earth". I'm trying to mold her into a food snob/elitist - seasonal, fresh organic foods, grass-fed meat, good cheeses.

I'm still educating myself about this way of eating - maybe it's possible. I just don't have a sense yet. I'll look forward to guidance and advice this summer.

Now I'm laughing - it's below freezing, still snow in the yard, I'm excited about HFLC ketogenic eating - I feel like I "get it", although very uneducated. But, now I'm thinking about a warm peach. :doh:

grneyedldy 03-17-2014 12:47 PM

I'm excited and new to NK eating too. I started just counting carbs, then counting protein and now tracking fat too.

I'm still trying to find my ideal losing range. I'm a slow loser (menopause/hypothyroidism) so it's going to take longer than some to see a pattern.

I'm so happy eating this way and losing weight, I'm just tickled pink. :jumpjoy:

greenandchic 03-17-2014 02:33 PM

Living with chronic illness and trying to remain fit, NK has really been very helpful to me these past few weeks, especially for my workouts. More importantly I have't had severe mood swings are depressive states since I started. Keeping my fingers crossed!

sbarr 03-17-2014 07:55 PM

Dinner with my 5 yo tonight (she's so proud of meal prep these days - she cut up the veggie salad and fruit salad and insists that we eat "family style" - she caught onto this phrase last month when we were eating at a nice Italian restaurant in the Bahamas where food was served from a main dish at the center of the table). Up to this point, I had served her meal and then ate mine separately, but in the past week, she's been a real stickler for family style every night. Sad that my child had to learn about family style serving in a restaurant. :( I think it hits me hardest when she asks: "Mommy, can we eat family style?" So now I'm planning out the meals for the rest of the week and weekend so we share at least 2 dishes each meal.

corned beef
pasta press noodles with HWC, cream cheese and smoked cheddar (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...sta-press.html)
Mixed veggie salad - she was the chef
Fruit salad - ditto

She really seemed to get it - when I pointed to her plate, protein first, then veggies, then fruit, then starch (granted, there was no starch in the gluc noodles, but there are in the real world). She knows why I am eating less (I had a token piece of kiwi and an apple chunk and a couple bites of veggie chunks). I don't make a big deal about the fact that I'm dieting, but I need to lose weight so I'm refer to the fact that I'm dieting as a part of day to day life because I need to lose weight. At the point that I'm closer to goal or no longer "fat" in the eyes of a 5 yo, then I'll find a word other than diet.

She had her dessert - a tiny scoop of dark chocolate ice cream and a couple of M&M's. She's height and weight proportionate and I'm not demonizing ice cream, just moderation. The M&M's are left over from vacation last month.

What's different about NK right now is that before I would have popped a couple of M&M's in my mouth after making her dessert. I'm well under limits for the day, but I just didn't have the desire for a nibble. :up:

Anyways, just a bit of rambling... But, I'm looking forward to the scale tomorrow. I haven't thought that in a LOOONG time.

Peace 03-17-2014 10:21 PM

Wow.. you are doing wonderful. Thanks for the inspiration.

Finally-- today a day under 20 g and I feel a TON better and the bloated is gone. So weird. Now, I need to keep it up. Seems like I just cant go over this mark and not get bloated. Well, at least I know now.

keep us posted on the scale. I am sure you are going to be pleased. :)

sbarr 03-19-2014 08:31 AM

I am going from 70/25/5 to 75/20/5 - swapping out 5% protein for fat. I needed this gradual 1 week phase in on the protein because of my previous levels and I wanted to ease into how I can make this work.

Actual amounts, per ankerl

Fat: 109 to 117
Protein: 88 to 70
Carbs: steady @ 18

I have to say, I feel a bit cheated: + 8 grams fat vs. - 18 grams protein. :p I know the calories differ between protein and carbs - but, still...

I appreciate the ankerl calculator and being able to adjust this quickly in my online calculator (m.f.p.) So far, these tools are working fine and I'll continue to use them as I become more educated.

My modified BPC is losing 1/2 scoop Jay Robb tomorrow so essentially there is no change to the intra-day food EATEN, just the ingredients in my old coffee mixture which had deliberately been intended to consume a lot of protein in the morning, something I'm reassessing gradually because I do love my coffee blend. On a good note, because this was very high protein, I've been able to gradually remove ingredients without reducing food EATEN. Last week I took out 1 of 2 raw eggs, this week half a scoop of Jay Robb. This still allows me buffer to take out another egg and the rest of the Jay Robb - or keep it if that protein works for me in the morning.

Scale has me down another 0.5-1# (informal daily weigh-in) and I'd like to put the next decade threshold behind me by Saturday, my official weigh in day.

EricaHV 03-19-2014 08:43 AM

I understand what you are saying. It seems to be hard to get enough fat without going overboard on protein. I started adding butter and coconut oil to everything, lol. That seems to be working for me so far.

One thing that we are enjoying ( my kids and I ) is home made real whipped cream. I just put a little stevia, and vanilla extract in my food processor with heavy cream ( I seem to do ok with the dairy) and turn it on until it is whipped cream. It is very low carb, high fat, and yummy :)

Mimosa23 03-19-2014 08:57 AM

You are doing great! Thanks for sharing with us!

I also struggle keeping protein under control some days, but I NEVER have problems getting enough fat in, LOL! I love adding butter to anything and I fry my bacon in tallow which makes it like pure sunshine in my mouth, I swear!

I too find the ankerl calculator very helpful. I use this and change the numbers as my bf% and my weight changes to get a more accurate number to go by each time. Keeps me motivated. I use the same calorie counting tool as you do and I have to say both have helped tremendously in keeping me on track and making NK work for me.

Keeping my fingers crossed for further weightloss for you by Saturday!

grneyedldy 03-19-2014 02:17 PM

Great job Sbarr. I know what you mean about tweaking. I'm not sure yet what range I want for my fat. My carbs and protein are set, but I'm just tracking fat to see what works best. I'm like Mimosa, I don't have any problems getting enough fat.

KUTGW :up:

sbarr 03-20-2014 09:11 AM

Nice.... 209.8 this morning. I finally broke down and posted my weight yesterday at 211 in my profile. I'll change is Saturday if I hit a solid number. I'm chasing Mimosa (not a race, just a friendly observation), we started somewhat similar, same decade. But, at 5'3" - I'm much rounder.

Yesterday's decision after a very very high protein breakfast to change my macros was a bit of a challenge I had to swap out quite a few things to make it work. I felt like I was white knuckling it by evening. I am SOOO glad I started with the higher protein a couple of weeks ago because it allowed me to get my feet wet, learn some recipes, get some ideas before I lost my precious protein. Having done general low carb for so long, I felt like I could fall back on some cheese or something else high fat, low carb (considered almost free) if I was hungry.

I am anxiously awaiting my ketone meter and sticks - this has become very interesting to track and learn more. More than that, I feel like this is my new golden opportunity to start losing at a rate I used to first time doing Atkins. I may be totally delusional, but it's a happy place to be today.

Mimosa23 03-20-2014 09:16 AM

Sbarr, well done! And it's good to have a weightloss buddy! I don't mind you chasing me or even overtaking me! You're really doing great.

DaisyGG 03-20-2014 09:28 AM

You two are so similar to me as well. Can I horn in?

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...atdrink007.gif

sbarr 03-20-2014 09:36 AM

Welcome Daisy - you're in the middle on weight and height and started in the same decade. You also don't write long paragraphs. :laugh: Sorry, that's one of my little quirks and totally irrelevant to anything.

Why is it the shortest person in this race weighs the most??? :annoyed:

Mimosa23 03-20-2014 09:45 AM

Hi Daisy!

Sbarr, I like the long paragraphs, feels like I'm reading a conversation, you know?

sbarr 03-20-2014 09:57 AM

You like long paragraphs or short?

Short ones seem more like a conversation where you stop to take a breath before changing topics. :laugh:

Sorry, insert TO ME.

DaisyGG 03-20-2014 10:01 AM

Oh oh! I write short paragraphs. I have a short attention span!

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/so...y-emoticon.gif

Can I still hang about if I promise to try harder?

I'm lyin'. I just can't do it. Sincere in my efforts however. Believe me!

I do have good points. I can write a good sentence. I can spell. I have excellent grammar! Let me in!

Mimosa23 03-20-2014 10:02 AM

:D Yup, here's me thinking faster than I can type: I like paragraphs, it makes a longer post feel more like a conversation... Really, I am so inarticulate sometimes!

It's 5 pm here and the end of my working day... I guess that's my excuse, LOL!

sbarr 03-20-2014 10:29 AM

Mimosa - exactly. That's what I thought you meant. I've seen too many of your posts.

Daisy - Your writing is a GOOD THING. I think long paragraphs are hard to read. We all have similar writing styles - good point, good sentence, spelling, grammar. Please don't change. :shake:

DaisyGG 03-20-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16843914)
Mimosa - exactly. That's what I thought you meant. I've seen too many of your posts.

Daisy - Your writing is a GOOD THING. I think long paragraphs are hard to read. We all have similar writing styles - good point, good sentence, spelling, grammar. Please don't change. :shake:

Yay!

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/happy/ha...y-emoticon.gif

sbarr 03-24-2014 07:42 AM

I should change this to 2 weeks in, still encouraged. :up: TOM isn't helping, but there's always next weekend. And one cannot strip down to just a smile every trip to the bathroom, although I was tempted today. :rolleyes:

On the phone last night, I was describing the plan to an old friend, one who is lean as a whistle, high exercise, but low fat/moderate carb, but is open minded because he knew me back when I was 140# and doing very well on LC. I was talking about how I felt so much more energy, but didn't have quite the right elevator speech for the nutritional ketosis. Not to promote but just to explain what I'm doing. So, if anyone has an elevator speech for nutritional ketosis, please let me know. I almost think I need a couple - one, for open minded intellectuals and another for everyone else. LC was easy to explain, but this merits a different angle.

Aside, I see some progress with Mimosa and Daisy, also - I had to redo my geeky numbers....but, alas, I'm still the short chubby one in the back of the pack. % goal seems fairest. Maybe I'll "up my goal" and sneak around Daisy. :hyst:

Mimosa Sandra Daisy
Start 227.2 220 211
Current 205 210 204
Goal 155 135 155
% goal 30.75% 11.76% 12.50%

Mimosa23 03-24-2014 08:02 AM

TOM is here for me too, and not helping me either, LOL!

Sounds like you are doing so well, Sandra!

As for the motivational speech, not sure if I have one, I tried and failed to tell people about my WOE so many times, that I've given up! I will answer questions when asked though.

I found Key Tones' thread really helpful for information to give to others:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...my-doctor.html

Daisy, hope you are doing well and that you had a good weekend!

My weekend apart from TOM's arrival was lovely: spent most of it working in the garden. Got the (lack of) nails to prove it, LOL!
I have noticed that even though I'm not trying I have more stamina and motivation to do things, seems it has something to do with that slow burning energy I've now got!
And TOM hasn't floored me like it normally does either!

Anyway, keep up the good work ladies, it seems like we are all on a roll! YAY!!!

Off to the gym later to do a new routine: Heavy weights (on machines) till exhaustion and then 15 minutes of HIIT cardio on the bike... Should only be about 45 minutes and I think I can manage to keep this up three times a week... Wish me luck! (I think my weightloss will totally slow down, but I'm going to focus on the body composition thingy for now, LOL)

xxx Chloe.

DaisyGG 03-24-2014 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16848384)
I should change this to 2 weeks in, still encouraged. :up: TOM isn't helping, but there's always next weekend. And one cannot strip down to just a smile every trip to the bathroom, although I was tempted today. :rolleyes:

On the phone last night, I was describing the plan to an old friend, one who is lean as a whistle, high exercise, but low fat/moderate carb, but is open minded because he knew me back when I was 140# and doing very well on LC. I was talking about how I felt so much more energy, but didn't have quite the right elevator speech for the nutritional ketosis. Not to promote but just to explain what I'm doing. So, if anyone has an elevator speech for nutritional ketosis, please let me know. I almost think I need a couple - one, for open minded intellectuals and another for everyone else. LC was easy to explain, but this merits a different angle.

Aside, I see some progress with Mimosa and Daisy, also - I had to redo my geeky numbers....but, alas, I'm still the short chubby one in the back of the pack. % goal seems fairest. Maybe I'll "up my goal" and sneak around Daisy. :hyst:

Mimosa Sandra Daisy
Start 227.2 220 211
Current 205 210 204
Goal 155 135 155
% goal 30.75% 11.76% 12.50%

I love that this is all mapped out! I love a good competition. It's always good for the motivation. Thank you again you guys for letting me slip in here.

It's interesting you are thinking about your elevator speech. I was showering this morning, day dreaming about getting skinnier, and wondering what I would say when asked how I did it. The smart-azzy part of me just wants to say, "Eating more and moving less" with a big smile and then making mental note of who actually heard what I said.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/happy/ha...y-emoticon.gif

DaisyGG 03-24-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16848413)
TOM is here for me too, and not helping me either, LOL!

Sounds like you are doing so well, Sandra!

As for the motivational speech, not sure if I have one, I tried and failed to tell people about my WOE so many times, that I've given up! I will answer questions when asked though.

I found Key Tones' thread really helpful for information to give to others:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...my-doctor.html

Daisy, hope you are doing well and that you had a good weekend!

My weekend apart from TOM's arrival was lovely: spent most of it working in the garden. Got the (lack of) nails to prove it, LOL!
I have noticed that even though I'm not trying I have more stamina and motivation to do things, seems it has something to do with that slow burning energy I've now got!
And TOM hasn't floored me like it normally does either!

Anyway, keep up the good work ladies, it seems like we are all on a roll! YAY!!!

Off to the gym later to do a new routine: Heavy weights (on machines) till exhaustion and then 15 minutes of HIIT cardio on the bike... Should only be about 45 minutes and I think I can manage to keep this up three times a week... Wish me luck! (I think my weightloss will totally slow down, but I'm going to focus on the body composition thingy for now, LOL)

xxx Chloe.

You sound like you're doing fantastic! Nice going on the gym!

sbarr 03-24-2014 11:13 AM

My motivation is a bit silly - I was on the phone with an old flame who knew me when I was hot and weighed 140#. He knows what I look like now - we get together for kiddie play dates (he has 2 kids) and I'm so embarrassed.

I told him I'd finally started a new plan. He's very intelligent, has a different way of eating which works for him, yet is respectful enough of what I have to say to not discount it - he was interested in the science piece.

I could easily do a 1 minute elevator speech on Atkins. NK is not as simple as cutting out the carbs so I'm looking for a way to intelligently and succinctly present the science behind it. I'm not going there with family or less open minded people until I can present this without sounding like a quack on my latest fad. Most people don't need more than an elevator speech - it either will bore or annoy them and I want to be very careful not to provide anything inaccurate especially because of the loaded term ketosis (vs. ketoacidosis).

DaisyGG 03-25-2014 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbarr (Post 16848782)
My motivation is a bit silly - I was on the phone with an old flame who knew me when I was hot and weighed 140#. He knows what I look like now - we get together for kiddie play dates (he has 2 kids) and I'm so embarrassed.

I told him I'd finally started a new plan. He's very intelligent, has a different way of eating which works for him, yet is respectful enough of what I have to say to not discount it - he was interested in the science piece.

I could easily do a 1 minute elevator speech on Atkins. NK is not as simple as cutting out the carbs so I'm looking for a way to intelligently and succinctly present the science behind it. I'm not going there with family or less open minded people until I can present this without sounding like a quack on my latest fad. Most people don't need more than an elevator speech - it either will bore or annoy them and I want to be very careful not to provide anything inaccurate especially because of the loaded term ketosis (vs. ketoacidosis).

I tried to come up with something more helpful, but in my life, everyone is so used to me being a nut that they totally tune me out so I've kinda stopped yapping about it. I've had a couple of people here and there ask me a question or two, but mostly everyone thinks I'm just this side of wackidom. :heart:

As you know, there is fantastic science behind Keto, so you could simply lead them to some reading. Although we know how that might go over!

btw - I love your motivation. There is nothing as motivating as wanting to look hot and if an old flame is involved - I say get burning girl! Hot Tamales!

Mimosa23 03-25-2014 06:47 AM

Hi ladies!

Just swinging by today to see how you both are!

Nothing to report, went to the gym yesterday after work, so I'm probably heavier today. I try to go three times a week. If I fail to go once, I tend to make excuses for myself why I don't have to go, so I have to stay consistent!

Had 6 moles from my face removed this morning. I'll look worse before it looks better, but straight after the procedure (laser) it looked like it will do in a couple of weeks. It looks like my face is years younger, really great! I also made a tattoo removal appointment for October, as I want to have a tattoo on my upper arm removed. I've hated that thing for 10 years now, and decided to grab the bull by the horns and get it removed. Can't wait to feel happy about wearing short sleeves again! (Well, I'll have to tone up my arms before then too, LOL)

Have a good day today!
xxx

DaisyGG 03-25-2014 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16849774)
Hi ladies!

Just swinging by today to see how you both are!

Nothing to report, went to the gym yesterday after work, so I'm probably heavier today. I try to go three times a week. If I fail to go once, I tend to make excuses for myself why I don't have to go, so I have to stay consistent!

Had 6 moles from my face removed this morning. I'll look worse before it looks better, but straight after the procedure (laser) it looked like it will do in a couple of weeks. It looks like my face is years younger, really great! I also made a tattoo removal appointment for October, as I want to have a tattoo on my upper arm removed. I've hated that thing for 10 years now, and decided to grab the bull by the horns and get it removed. Can't wait to feel happy about wearing short sleeves again! (Well, I'll have to tone up my arms before then too, LOL)

Have a good day today!
xxx

I had two moles removed from my face on Dec 4! The spots are still red, but know eventually it will look lovely. Did you have to have them biopsied? I think they do it by rote now don't they? The hardest part is keeping that Aquafor on for 10 days! Hang in there. You will be even happier than you are now!

What is the tattoo you are getting removed? I only have one little one on my left foot. A daisy if you can believe. :o

Good job on the gym!

sbarr 03-25-2014 07:17 AM

Great job on the gym - maybe I can drag my tush over there - I know I'll love it when I get there.

The scale was nice this morning - 209 and slightly higher hydration level, but you guys keep getting lower, so I'm going to shoot for 2# a week, which is fast for me, at least for the next couple of months to catch up.

I'm setting some short-term and mid-term goals:

2# per week until mid-May
April 19: 199 - (my daughter's birthday party and I'll be hosting a swim party at a local community center - I doubt I'll be swimming because of coordination but I know that century threshold is a big motivator and I will be seeing quite a few people and want to look my best). While it's a large swim party, I indicated NO gifts, so hope that people can just come and swim. There is no way I'd want to bring home a bunch of junk that we'd need to throw out.
December - by end of year, I'm shooting for 150. This assumes about 1.5# per week, which I hope is not too much because I know the rate of loss slows down.

After that, anything below 150# will be icing - I know in the 140's, I look very good and with my bone structure, I can easily carry up to 150#.

One thing that will be nice along the way - closet shopping. I have so many clothes that I bought along the way down (and back up), that I don't think I'll need to shop for the next couple of years, seriously!

Big realization just now - as i was thinking about the holidays. I think it will be easier this year. Other years, I'd anticipated that it would be difficult because of the usual holiday fare, but I can't think of any holiday food that would make me want to break this. By then, I should be fully keto-adapted, out of the closet (meaning everyone knows about the plan, if appropriate).

Now I'm off to throw out some clothes - I think I will try to get rid of one article of clothing for each pound lost. Fortunately, I don't have to buy anything this time around.