Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #241
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Sbarr, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #242
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jink
Stats: 5'10: 230/163/158
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: July 2013
Kathee,

I don't know the answer except that the same thing happened to me multiple weeks--I have dinner once a week with family, and at first did not indulge in wine, staying low carb, though eating more vegetables than I do at home.

One week, I decided I would have wine with dinner. Next day expected a gain-- nope down a pound or more. This became a pattern over months. I would be very strict at home, no loss; (I weigh daily). I would have family dinner ( low carb, but more relaxed, plus wine) and lose.

Now I've been consciously maintaining, though I haven't achieved my dream goal. I think I'd have to be stricter to lose the last 10--but I do enjoy the weekly dinners and usually find my lowest weight weekly is after them.
Jink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #243
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Kathee - one consideration, our perceptions are so skewed that you're considering 30 carbs to be very high. This is still below what many consume while consistently losing. This is also below the 50 grams, which is recommended to be under to stay in ketosis. I think we're all now like those drivers who stay UNDER the speed limit, rather than 5-10 mph, keeping fingers crossed for no ticket.

I'll speculate that your blood level stuck because you were so solidly in ketosis when you drank the wine and had the subsequent 30 carb day. That's happened to me a couple of time, most notably at my daughter's birthday party. But, then this weekend, when I made bad choices, I didn't recover as fast, scale up and blood level lower. My ketone levels were low for me going INTO this weekend, so I don't think I was as able to withstand the extra carbs.

This is just my GUESS... that if one is in deep ketosis (and not extremely insulin resistant) then the body is able to stay in ketosis. I'd love to see some citations for this, but so far, much of what I'm seeing is anecdotal. Also, body weight trails consumption by a couple to a few days. I'll be curious to see what the scale says tomorrow and Wednesday.

But, what is so awesome about your weekend - you started clean, indulged a little, stayed clean and returned home to great scale and blood levels.

Jink - maybe what you needed were those insulin spikes. There was a pretty long thread in the Main Lobby about deliberate higher carb days and how they helped jump start weight loss.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #244
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Casey I ordered a lot of heirloom veggie seeds and want to make this the year where grocery shopping is drastically limited in favor of fruit trees, veggie garden, grassed meat from area farmer.
I have a great compost heap out back from my 2 years of juicing veggies (there is a ton of waste) So I was hoping to plant a great veggie garden, but not having much of a green thumb I was worried it was too late.

We are also looking into getting some backyard chickens, so the kids are excited about that (as am I ) and they seem like they would help fertilize, etc.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:29 AM   #245
Blabbermouth!!!

You have a long growing season - I haven't even planted my seeds yet - usually start after mother's day.

I'd love chickens - but, last time I had them (A couple of years ago we had 3, all named "Emily"), my neighbor called: Zoning, Animal Control and the police all in about a 7 day period.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #246
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Thanks Sbarr....and I wish you good luck on your interviews!!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:37 AM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Quote:
I'd love chickens - but, last time I had them (A couple of years ago we had 3, all named "Emily"), my neighbor called: Zoning, Animal Control and the police all in about a 7 day period.
This type of thing makes me insane. You'd think there would be bigger things to worry about. Some neighbors are vicious.
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

All my stuff just showed up! I'll post in my journal my blood reading.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You have a long growing season - I haven't even planted my seeds yet - usually start after mother's day.

Good to know, thank you, I think I want to order some seeds online, there are some great looking options on a handmade site!

I checked last week what the requirements are in my area and it looks like I can have up to 15 without a permit, so that is cool. I live in a ranching area by the river. A neighbor two houses down has chickens and there are lots of cool animals nearby... horses, ostrich, llamas... my yard is not big enough for those.

That was a poopy thing for your neighbor to do, I am sorry about that!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #250
Senior LCF Member

good luck on your interviews. You were talking about finding a new suit, did you find a good one?
Old 05-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
Kathee,

I don't know the answer except that the same thing happened to me multiple weeks--I have dinner once a week with family, and at first did not indulge in wine, staying low carb, though eating more vegetables than I do at home.

One week, I decided I would have wine with dinner. Next day expected a gain-- nope down a pound or more. This became a pattern over months. I would be very strict at home, no loss; (I weigh daily). I would have family dinner ( low carb, but more relaxed, plus wine) and lose.

Now I've been consciously maintaining, though I haven't achieved my dream goal. I think I'd have to be stricter to lose the last 10--but I do enjoy the weekly dinners and usually find my lowest weight weekly is after them.
Jink, what a nice surprise!

At this point, I'm not brave enough testing the wine theory on a regular basis...at least for now. But I love your story: getting together with those you love, eating great food and losing the next day. Those are macros I could live with!

Kathee
Old 05-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #252
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Kathee - one consideration, our perceptions are so skewed that you're considering 30 carbs to be very high. This is still below what many consume while consistently losing. This is also below the 50 grams, which is recommended to be under to stay in ketosis. I think we're all now like those drivers who stay UNDER the speed limit, rather than 5-10 mph, keeping fingers crossed for no ticket.

I'll speculate that your blood level stuck because you were so solidly in ketosis when you drank the wine and had the subsequent 30 carb day. That's happened to me a couple of time, most notably at my daughter's birthday party. But, then this weekend, when I made bad choices, I didn't recover as fast, scale up and blood level lower. My ketone levels were low for me going INTO this weekend, so I don't think I was as able to withstand the extra carbs.

This is just my GUESS... that if one is in deep ketosis (and not extremely insulin resistant) then the body is able to stay in ketosis. I'd love to see some citations for this, but so far, much of what I'm seeing is anecdotal. Also, body weight trails consumption by a couple to a few days. I'll be curious to see what the scale says tomorrow and Wednesday.

But, what is so awesome about your weekend - you started clean, indulged a little, stayed clean and returned home to great scale and blood levels.

Jink - maybe what you needed were those insulin spikes. There was a pretty long thread in the Main Lobby about deliberate higher carb days and how they helped jump start weight loss.
Sbarr, solid analysis. I am curious/anxious to see what the scale says tomorrow too. Hoping for good news but truly prepared to pay the piper.

No frills eating today, just solid HFLC.

Good luck tomorrow!

Kathee
Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 PM   #253
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caseyjmc
Stats: 235/193/150
WOE: Westman Plan LCHF Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: August 2014
Settling back into life at home (which is also life at work!).

Mr. Ozeri (taking a page from sbarr and Mr. Tanita) is not as kind as his predecessor, Mr. WW, but I believe is more accurate. Mornings have me at 197 weight, 39% Body Fat, 30ish Water, and 30ish Muscle, and 3.9 lbs bone. The muscle is up from last week. I'm told to not worry about the accuracy of the body fat, etc., numbers, but more about watching their trends.

My blood ketones are all over the place. One day .2, the next .4, tonight .7. Makes no sense given what I eat. Average is 1600Kcal, Fat 80%/Protein 17%/Carbs 5%. The Ketonix always has me in the red (ketosis), which DOES make sense.

Bridgee'sMom, I'm tempted to carb out a couple days just to see if I go yellow or green again, which I was at the beginning before getting serious about macros. But alas, I fear getting back to craving more than I am curious about the colors!

sbarr: sitting on hands waiting to hear good news tomorrow. We always say "This, or something better!"

I just realized I've posted enough to create a signature. Gotta get creative and inspiring like all of you!
Caseyjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyjmc View Post
Bridgee'sMom, I'm tempted to carb out a couple days just to see if I go yellow or green again, which I was at the beginning before getting serious about macros. But alas, I fear getting back to craving more than I am curious about the colors!
Casey, I wish I knew what makes blood numbers fluctuate. At this point, it's a mystery. I'm with you, though, I truly fear that "out-of-control-I-need-carbs-now-or-I'm-going-to-eat-the-couch" feeling. (Tried to blame the chew marks on the dog...)

Kathee
Old 05-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #255
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caseyjmc
Stats: 235/193/150
WOE: Westman Plan LCHF Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgee'sMom View Post
(Tried to blame the chew marks on the dog...)

Kathee
Oooh...BUSTED!
Caseyjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:41 AM   #256
Major LCF Poster!

Update! Are you interviewing like a BOSS?

Come back to us and give us the deets!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:00 AM   #257
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/126/120
WOE: JUDDD
Thought I'd pop in here. Per Sbarr's suggestion - I looked at the DE thread and ordered some last night!
Praying it helps with my skin/ hair.
kwerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:17 AM   #258
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Daisy. Interview went well and on to round 3. I think this is pretty solid and I'm really looking forward to getting back in to this type of role rather than the ole corporate dance.

kwerp. Look forward to yoUr results
Old 05-09-2014, 04:24 AM   #259
Major LCF Poster!

No more updates? Start a journal girl! I want to see your blood levels.

. . . and . . . when is round three?
Old 05-09-2014, 05:35 AM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Had 1 tsp of DE last night, and 1tsp this morning. So far, so good! Easy to drink down - I read some horror stories on the other thread; not sure what the big deal is. Maybe people were starting out with 1 tbl or something.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #261
Blabbermouth!!!

Daisy - maybe I'll do that, a journal - might be interesting to reflect back later on. How are YOU doing?

kwerp - I did read one case where someone was backed up and had to go to the ER. My guess was probably low fluid and maybe something else that binds easily. I've been taking 1 T. every morning for the past couple of months and all seems to be going fine. I think it has been helpful to being very regular.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:03 AM   #262
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Daisy - maybe I'll do that, a journal - might be interesting to reflect back later on. How are YOU doing?

kwerp - I did read one case where someone was backed up and had to go to the ER. My guess was probably low fluid and maybe something else that binds easily. I've been taking 1 T. every morning for the past couple of months and all seems to be going fine. I think it has been helpful to being very regular.
I have been writing a journal, not just about food, but primarily. It looks fleeting when I reflect back on it, but I feel like it helps me in many ways.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #263
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I KNOW! I read that in the thread, so I've been super cautious not to go crazy with too much too soon. I have constipation issues, so I'm being careful. This morning I was impressed with going two days in a row. Sorry for the TMI.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #264
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerp View Post
I KNOW! I read that in the thread, so I've been super cautious not to go crazy with too much too soon. I have constipation issues, so I'm being careful. This morning I was impressed with going two days in a row. Sorry for the TMI.
Same here, things are moving along - I think that reported case was an exception. I have it with my morning vitamins as part of my breakfast routine. That back of mind awareness also encourages me to stay hydrated - and I drink my 1 T. with 16 oz of water.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DlaneyLynn
Stats: 230/211/200
WOE: Keto/LCHF
Start Date: 4/1/14
Quote:
Same here, things are moving along - I think that reported case was an exception. I have it with my morning vitamins as part of my breakfast routine. That back of mind awareness also encourages me to stay hydrated - and I drink my 1 T. with 16 oz of water.
Sorry to pop in with no introduction, but can someone tell me what DE is and point me to the thread you are talking about? Thanks!
DlaneyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #266
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DlaneyLynn View Post
Sorry to pop in with no introduction, but can someone tell me what DE is and point me to the thread you are talking about? Thanks!
Sure!
Silica supplementation (diatomaceous earth)
It's quite a read, but worth it.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #267
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwerp View Post
Sure!
Silica supplementation (diatomaceous earth)
It's quite a read, but worth it.

Awesome! It's funny that I didn't catch on to that. I was just researching diatomaceous earth elsewhere and have a huge bag of it. Thanks so much for the link.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #268
Blabbermouth!!!

If you do take DE, make sure it's food grade!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #269
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If you do take DE, make sure it's food grade!
It is
I bought it about a year ago because I was convinced I had parasites (I tend to come down with any illness I read about online ), but never got around to taking it.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #270
Blabbermouth!!!

OK - so it was for your parasites and not your pool.

I think this falls under the classification of: "why the heck not, hey - might work, cheap - in your case already paid for, low risk and makes an interesting conversation topic"

Don't recall the conversation, but I was able to interject: "hey, I eat that"