Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 05:29 AM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/182/135 (26-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Not nice - Mr. Tanita said weigh was 199.4 (up 1.2). I can't complain, i've had a solid run for almost 6 weeks and this is the first time up over 1# (which of course doesn't mean anything)
But the blood was 2.1 - I'd like to stay in the 1.5 range, just to know it's solid.

I don't think I've been out of ketosis for over a month - even after my cake experiment, the blood was at 0.2 and climbed again. I have to admit, this is much more reassuring than the scale - great progress on both.

Hope everyone is doing well - beautiful weather here, sunny, a bit chilly.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #212
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Not nice - Mr. Tanita said weigh was 199.4 (up 1.2). I can't complain, i've had a solid run for almost 6 weeks and this is the first time up over 1# (which of course doesn't mean anything)
But the blood was 2.1 - I'd like to stay in the 1.5 range, just to know it's solid.

I don't think I've been out of ketosis for over a month - even after my cake experiment, the blood was at 0.2 and climbed again. I have to admit, this is much more reassuring than the scale - great progress on both.

Hope everyone is doing well - beautiful weather here, sunny, a bit chilly.
I understand completely. You've done so beautifully, I'm hoping it's just a slight blip along the way.

As for my 'blip', the morning after the NyQuil affair, the blood came in at an unsurprising .4. I'm grateful because it could have been so much worse. This morning, it was .8 I think because I ate too late last night. Couldn't be helped. Weighed in at 178.6. Nice, but we'll see if it holds.

I may experiment to see if dairy is holding me back. I've already taken it out of the morning coffee. The only problem is my love affair with cheese! I generally keep it to a minimum but, oh, how I love it. We'll see....

Kathee
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #213
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caseyjmc
Stats: 235/197.3/150
WOE: LCHF Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Feb 2014
I'm staying steady at 193.4, and feel great. I'll be getting my particle blood test again in Mid-May, and we'll see how the changes look.

Despite the slow weight loss, I can't help but feel like a success with HFLC. To not have carb cravings, be much more clear-headed, heart palpitations are virtually gone, and to feel so consistently energetic as I approach 60 in August, is amazing to me every day.

I pray my kids catch on to this WOE soon. DIL #1 with PCOS was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and is, for the most part, doing low carb and is losing weight. Would love to see my son start eating with her just for the weight loss and health. DIL #2 with the 3 kids is also PCOS, and had gestational diabetes carrying both our 2 year old grandson and the recently born twins, and probably has type 2 as well, eats a lot of carbs, fast foods, and sugar. Both she and hubby are obese, and his blood pressure has been high recently. I keep my mouth shut because it does only harm when I open it, and aggravates them all. I just love and support them and pray! They all have to find their own ways. God doesn't have grandchildren!

Anyway, a popular blogger did a post on our product, and we ended up getting lots of hits to our site. The extra sales are coming in now, and I have been so busy with order intake and shipping that I forget what time it is, and I forget to eat. Such a problem to have!!
Caseyjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:33 AM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Casey - I hope your kids see your great success and can learn from it. I've ordered a couple of books off Amazon to further reinforce things for me: "What to Eat - by Liuise Light and The Modern Nutritional Diseases: and How to Prevent Them by Ottoboni. I feel like I feed my daughter (she's 6) up to standard as far as processed food, but it could be far better.

Mr. Tanita isn't cooperating - weight ~ 199.8 - so pretty steady all week. Casey - want to trade weights?

Blood was 0.5 - I think I've broken 1 only once this past week.

Need to take a step back and look at this. Pretty much been a week at the same weight with a bit of fluctuation and the ketone levels lower than when I started. Staying within my macros easily, the only deviation, but I'm still under limit has been a couple handfuls of Trader Joe's Salt and Pepper pistachios - spicy and takes a bit of time to eat, trying to consciously slow down my eating, but I've been eating those all month, so it's factor, but not a new variable.

Or maybe I finally hit that moment where my body said: 'Whoa, where's that fat going - time to hold on tight!" That said, I can feel the muscles from years ago right feeling like they used to - I didn't expect all the muscles back from light weight training a couple of times a week. The strength isn't back, but the muscle bulk is there.

Hope to get some weights and swimming in today and get my raised bed garden constructed. I ordered a lot of heirloom veggie seeds and want to make this the year where grocery shopping is drastically limited in favor of fruit trees, veggie garden, grassed meat from area farmer.

Wishing everyone a productive and keto-happy day!
Old 04-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyjmc View Post
I pray my kids catch on to this WOE soon. DIL #1 with PCOS was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and is, for the most part, doing low carb and is losing weight. Would love to see my son start eating with her just for the weight loss and health. DIL #2 with the 3 kids is also PCOS, and had gestational diabetes carrying both our 2 year old grandson and the recently born twins, and probably has type 2 as well, eats a lot of carbs, fast foods, and sugar. Both she and hubby are obese, and his blood pressure has been high recently. I keep my mouth shut because it does only harm when I open it, and aggravates them all. I just love and support them and pray! They all have to find their own ways. God doesn't have grandchildren!
I've been playing the waiting game with my middle son on this issue too. I think he may be ready to hear the message, but we keep getting interrupted. He's already experiencing blood pressure issues. My daughter (also the mother of twins!) and her husband are eating low carb but not quite at the keto level. I'm fine with that because they're eating in a healthy way for them. My youngest son is also a convert to this healthy woe.

Congrats on your business success!

Kathee
Old 04-28-2014, 02:01 PM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Or maybe I finally hit that moment where my body said: [I]'Whoa, where's that fat going - time to hold on tight!"
That made me smile because this month of practically no loss I've imagined my body saying, "Yeah, you've done this before but do you really MEAN it??? Because I'm not letting go of anymore until I'm sure you mean it...!"

So this morning's ketone number was .9. The virus is still having fun at my expense but I'm hanging in there. I've finally lost a pound and am down to 177.6. Not sure if drastically limiting dairy is the cause or if my body finally figured out that I'm serious...
Old 04-29-2014, 05:53 AM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stealing Kathee's phrase: "pouting but committed" and also: "yes, I MEAN it". At this age, i cannot afford to do it again.

Mr. Tanita wasn't on my side today: 200.2 (level body fat and hydration)
Blood: 0.7 - had my fat tea last night.

Unfortunately, my body doesn't change enough in the short-term to take measurements, so that's not a motivator for me.

A little discouraged, but encouraged in another way. I like what I'm eating, so not feeling deprived. Not bloated, definitely jiggly - but, really???

Some other positive things:

Untouched Lindt chocolate truffles in cupboard
Untouched chocolate ice cream in freezer
Lots of other untouched things

My biggest temptation - salt and pepper pistachios and macadamia nuts. Not bad!

A couple of new books in the mail - maybe that will help jazz me up.

Hope everyone else has a keto-happy day!
Old 04-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Ah well, back up a pound to 178.6; blood came in at .7.

The good news is that my tape measure is finally seeing a difference of 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in most of of my 'measurable' spots. I stopped measuring a few weeks ago because it felt so good when I stopped beating my head against the wall...

Maybe there's something to be said for ignoring it. The watched pot phenomena, perhaps?

Kathee
Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 PM   #219
Junior LCF Member

Yeah, the watched pot belly never gets thinner??

I finally got my new scale programmed, and I prepared myself for the rude awakening that my old one (digital though it may be) was off by about 2 lbs.—in the less desirable direction. So, I need to reset my current stats to say 195.6. I'm fine with it. Just happy to be on track with my food and eating, and get to be all excited again when I move through the 195 hurdle to 194.

We are taking a couple days off for our 31st anniversary and going to the coast. The "kids" are watching the house and kitties for us, which makes the trip so much less stressful. Can't wait to get my fancy kite into the air. And I'm looking forward to the ease of eating at restaurants with NK. "I'll have 7 eggs scrambled in 2 lbs of butter, hold the toast and no potatoes!" I still love the look I get from servers when I refuse the bread but insist on the fats.

Well, you all have a great week, and I'll touch base each day. Hugs!

-Casey
Old 04-30-2014, 05:12 AM   #220
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Still pouting but committed!

Tanita - 200.2 (just isn't dropping - going on a couple of weeks at this level, not nice)
Blood: 0.6 (even with the fat tea last night)

Getting a bit frustrated - staying well within my macros:

18 g carbs
70 g protein
117 fat

Will give it to the end of next week to budge - then, might try a short fat fast. If anyone else can offer some suggestions, I welcome input. I think I just got spoiled with the 2+ pounds a week for the first month and a half and now this is reality - that it's going to be be slow slow slow.

Tonight's the water boot camp which is 55 minutes of aerobic and resistance activity in the water, so at least I'll feel virtuous, even if the scale won't budge.

Wishing the best keto-results for everyone else!
Old 05-01-2014, 05:40 AM   #221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Not pouting any more, still committed. Kathee - I think I'm going to steal your phrase. How about 25 cent royalty for each time I use it? Hopefully, will use once a month or less.

Tanita: 199.2 (body fat was higher, but I also took some psyllium yesterday ands that will always spike body fat by dehydrating the body)
Blood: 1.6 (I look forward to better understanding what causes the blood levels to fluctuate so much)

Today is job interview (perfect fit) and moving several yards of manure, soil and mulch by wheelbarrow. I suspect I won't want to go to the gym tonight after several hours of this.

Hoping everyone has a super-keto day! Hope Daisy is enjoying the sun down in Jamaica.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #222
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
I just noticed your week... I had a similar annoyance lately Sbarr. I weigh weekly, it helps me. I Lost like 6 lbs then gained two and lost two meaning that it ended up averaging out to about two for the last three weeks, but annoying when I thought I was getting ahead! lol. I did have my period during the gain, so that may have made a difference.

I have been drinking fatty Chai many nights, Thank you for that suggestion, it has been a really nice treat in the evenings.
EricaHV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Not pouting any more, still committed. [I]Kathee - I think I'm going to steal your phrase. How about 25 cent royalty for each time I use it? Hopefully, will use once a month or less.
Steal away! It just fits. I know at any given point I may be...wait for it...pouting but committed!

The scale, for two days in row has read 178.0. I guess I'll just be grateful it's not playing with 180... Blood reading 1.0 and I couldn't agree more: what does make it go higher and lower? If I could figure that out, I'd be doing it!!

Today, I have to finish my new painting because I will be teaching it next week. I love teaching painting; my students are just the best!

Better get going...everybody have a great day!!

Kathee
Old 05-02-2014, 04:41 AM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tanita: 198.8 (finally back to where I was almost 2 weeks ago)
Blood: 0.8

Yesterday's job interview went very well, onward to 2nd round with leadership team. Need to upgrade suit so have to go shopping - I did NOT want to spend a lot of money at this weight, but I'll have to view it as the cost of getting this particular job. Company is more formal than my past 10+ years of business casual.

Hoping everyone has a super-keto Friday!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:08 AM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Hello women! Vacation was lovely and I weighed the morning after and I had gained 1 pound which isn't horrible. Ate the way I knew I would and drank the way I knew I would. I haven't weighed since.

It's been crazy since we got home. Oh the joys of owning your own business! So getting right back into my swing has been a bit challenging. Nothing in fridge! And I'm still unpacking! And the laundry! And I watched my grandson yesterday! And he's teething!

So . . . I'm peeling, tired, jet lagged, and happy to be back and getting on everything.

sbarr - I am ordering all of my new stuff today. The DE, a blood meter, and whatever else I need to manage and move forward.

Oh - I definitely took the advice to NOT bring the coconut oil. I think that was excellent advice!
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:12 AM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome back - 1 # is nothing after a great vacation. I'm impressed. Look forward to your observations with the blood meter. I hope you ordered sticks. Universal in Canada takes about 9 days or so to send, which really isn't too bad.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:19 AM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

sbarr - I know you told me the kind of meter to buy, but I cannot find where you said it. And I know I made notes, but cannot find them. Welcome to old age! hehehe!

Direct me again? I thinking about checking out the DE from the More than Alive site? Recommendation?

And I'm going to splurge and get my own Mr. Tanita. I'm needing all the attention he could give me. I will name him Mr. Mark Wahlburg.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:30 AM   #228
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I bought the Abbott Precision Xtra - it's reportedly more accurate (Jimmy Moore wrote quite a bit about it - so far, I'm very happy with mine). Cost of strips pretty close when you buy from Universal ($2 each, free shipping over $99). At this stage in my plan, I'm fine with this $2 a day habit - it helps me stay focused.

DE - I bought a 10# bag on Amazon for about $20 with shipping. You'll have a lifetime supply and can also use it in your garden, on your pets. I split it with my neighbor - it goes a LONG ways. I just keep it in a quart bell jar with a tablespoon in the jar.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #229
Major LCF Poster!

You're the best.

I enjoy your organized mind! I look forward to that day. It could happen to me yes?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I'm right there with you...I feel stuck. Up 1 lb from my lowest weight two weeks ago....measurements pretty stuck too. I'm going to cut back on fat and see if that helps. I've read so much that I'm not sure what will work at this point, and I can't really rely on intuition.

I don't want to try to change too much at once, so I'll work on the fat first. I will keep my carbs low (staying below 30) and my protein moderate. I've also started working out again-nothing crazy, just 30-40 minutes cardio plus weights 3x/week. I cut way back on alcohol hoping that would help, but it didn't seem to.

I'm in my 9th week and really haven't seen the scale move in about three. I understand slow is best, but am I doing something wrong?
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #231
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

earthcrosser - the addition of the the weights 3x per week may impact the scale. 30-40 cardio plus weights 3x per week is quite a bit if you weren't working out before.

Your carbs < 30 should be fine (have you considered going lower to shake things up)

What's your current target for protein and fat?

For context - this is what I'm working with. I'm not focusing on calories, per se, other than it gives a framework for fat - I reached these using the ankerl calculator.

CW: 198
TW: 150
Calories: 1400
Fat: 117
Protein: 70
Carbs: 18
Old 05-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #232
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Quote:
earthcrosser - the addition of the the weights 3x per week may impact the scale. 30-40 cardio plus weights 3x per week is quite a bit if you weren't working out before.

Your carbs < 30 should be fine (have you considered going lower to shake things up)

What's your current target for protein and fat?

For context - this is what I'm working with. I'm not focusing on calories, per se, other than it gives a framework for fat - I reached these using the ankerl calculator.

CW: 198
TW: 150
Calories: 1400
Fat: 117
Protein: 70
Carbs: 18
Thanks sbarr...I have my macros that I try to stick to-here they are:

CW: 152
TW: 140
* 1320 kcal Goal,
* 25g Carbohydrates
* 80g Protein (55g min, 90g max)
* 100g Fat (30g min, 148g max)

I am usually pretty close to these...ratios are right but they are sometimes lower. Most days I try to keep my carbs at 20 or below. I am thinking I might up my protein a little and drop my fat a little to make both moderate. Oh and something else I should mention-I am in ketosis as far as I can tell...I don't measure but I have that taste in my mouth all the time, so I'm pretty sure I am.

I've added the exercise back in in the hopes that it will shake things up a little. I don't do anything super strenuous, believe me. I will keep my eye on things to see how it goes. If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyGG View Post
Hello women! Vacation was lovely and I weighed the morning after and I had gained 1 pound which isn't horrible. Ate the way I knew I would and drank the way I knew I would. I haven't weighed since.

It's been crazy since we got home. Oh the joys of owning your own business! So getting right back into my swing has been a bit challenging. Nothing in fridge! And I'm still unpacking! And the laundry! And I watched my grandson yesterday! And he's teething!

So . . . I'm peeling, tired, jet lagged, and happy to be back and getting on everything.

sbarr - I am ordering all of my new stuff today. The DE, a blood meter, and whatever else I need to manage and move forward.

Oh - I definitely took the advice to NOT bring the coconut oil. I think that was excellent advice!
I am jealous right now of a vacation

Glad you are back.
EricaHV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #234
Junior LCF Member

Relaxing in hotel room waiting to check out and head back to Portland. I stayed true to the food, only allowed myself my liquid Sucralose that I make myself from the pure powder.

This was one of the best anniversary short vacations we've had. Despite the fact that my wife had to use the wheelchair almost all the time, we had a blast. I pushed her everywhere we went, and to commemorate this anniversary we got special t-shirts to go along with push/chair situation. Not sure how to post a photo with a URL, but if you go to my Facebook page you can see it. facebook.com/caseymoffett-chaney
Old 05-05-2014, 04:28 AM   #235
Major LCF Poster!

Casey - that sounds like a fantastic vacation!
Old 05-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

sbarr - what's the status of the new job? Is there more interviewing today?
Old 05-05-2014, 04:30 AM   #237
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaHV View Post
I am jealous right now of a vacation

Glad you are back.
thank you erica!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:44 AM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ugh - scale not cooperating and neither is the blood. But, I'm sure it's due to Saturday's carb grazing.

earthcrosser - I'm betting the exercise is the main factor, since you're still in ketosis.
Casey - way to go!!!
Daisy - Job interview went very well, second interview with HR tomorrow and then 3 round should be later this week. I thought the HR and rest of interviews would be together, but for some reason, they're split up.

How are things going with your eating?
Old 05-05-2014, 06:11 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

I am sending good, productive, and job-landing thoughts to you. I bet you got this.

I bought both the DE and a blood meter and strips. I am anxious for them to get here!

My eating has been not keto. So the fact that i've gained the one pound is puzzling AND fantastic. Since I've been home it has NOT been a carb-fest, but definitely not keto. On Saturday I cocooned in our family room marathoning Game of Thrones - I had bad headache, sore throat, fever. Husband bought me some no sugar added SoBe (I think??) ice cream stuff and I had some of that. It's good! Definitely not keto. I was sucking on sugar-free lozenges as well.

I'm on it today as I feel much much better. I think this vacation nearly killed both of us. Ha! 15 hour travel days are not for me. I'm sticking closer to home next time unless we're gone for a couple of weeks. I'm old and fragile! lol No I'm not.

I have a timeline for my weight loss and I'm way above my projected losses. I want to catch up a bit this week. I like to have goals, but I don't like not making them!

The really weird thing right now is yesterday Pup and I went out to do errands and I threw on one of my two pairs of jeans that I wear on a regular basis. The ones that were clean were the tighter of the two and they were not uncomfortable at all. I feel smaller through the midsection. I should measure to see if there have been any changes.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #240
Senior LCF Member

Hey Daisy...welcome home! So happy you had a great time!

I'm so confused.

For most of the month of April, I played with my macros just trying to get things moving downward again. After reading blogs from respected individuals, I thought I would adjust my protein downward and see how it went. (Some people feel the usual protein amounts can be too high for some based on the ymmv philosophy.) So trying to discover just what my mileage actually is, I did lower my protein from about 70-60 (recommended by the calculator) to 40ish. I also lowered my fat a bit too.

After a week or so, I began to lose - though slowly. I'm totally ok with slow-at least it was going in the right direction. Last week I also cut back on dairy just to see if that would make a difference.

Fast forward to this weekend. My DH and I went out of town and had a lovely steak dinner with veggies. No problem there. But I also threw caution to the wind and had two glasses of dry red wine. I counted them in my carb totals and still remained below 20. The next morning, (yesterday) had bacon and eggs so no harm no foul.

Here's the rub: being on the road yesterday, I ate more than usual. Having to guess at some of the counts, the end of the day saw my totals as: cals -1626, fat - 115.6 - carbs - 31.8(total), protein - 92.1. These are my highest totals ever since starting in January especially that carb count!

This morning, I weighed in at 176.8 and the blood was 1.2. Well yay for the new low but why? Really confused but I'll take it. Maybe I need to go out of town with my sweetie more...

Kathee