Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
CO + HWC

What do these stand for :/ I remember you talking about tea, but can't remember what these mean

The biggest reason I worry about staying ketosis is because I skate like crap and my focus is bad when I am not in ketosis, and since I travel all over the country to skate, it is no fun to get somewhere and then not feel well skating. I think it makes me hesitant to experiment, even though I think it is good to do it.
EricaHV is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/184.6/135 (18-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
I brew 2 bags of decaf chai tea and then blend with 1 T. Coconut oil and 1 T. Heavy Whipping cream...

Re: experimenting, yes, you need to be at peak performance and I can see why you wouldn't want to jeopardize that. Has your skating improved much with the ketosis. I remember you said after the game you were doing circles around your team mates.
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
I brew 2 bags of decaf chai tea and then blend with 1 T. Coconut oil and 1 T. Heavy Whipping cream...

Re: experimenting, yes, you need to be at peak performance and I can see why you wouldn't want to jeopardize that. Has your skating improved much with the ketosis. I remember you said after the game you were doing circles around your team mates.
yes, it is amazing, I have so much more energy!

I won mvp blocker on my team this weekend! So exciting!

I think after the travel season is over (november) I will do more experimenting, and at that point I will have been in ketosis for a pretty long time so I think that will help too.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:35 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

And I forgot to say... this sounds delicious.

Do you use a specific brand of Chai?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Congrats - people are going to be wondering: "who is this machine??"

Re; Tea - Celestial Seasonings - they have a regular and a decaf. Sometimes I'll drink the regular during the day, but definitely the decaf at night. I try to get organic wherever possible, but I've found Celestial Seasonings to have the best variety of flavors.

I brew up 2 bags in a 20-24 oz. travel mug, then add the coconut oil and heavy whipping cream and blend it up with a stick blender or sometimes pour it in a bullet-type blender.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:05 AM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Holding steady:

199.2 (same body fat, hydration)
1.1 (despite last night's tea with CO and HWC) - what's interesting is this is LOWER than yesterday, which was the day after I ate that cake.

Daisy - are you all packed?
Casey - how were the meals yesterday? You didn't call and invite us, so I assume you were busy.
Erica - when is your next game?
Cloe - wooo hoooo, where are you?
B'Mom - are you missing in action?
Meanie - how are things going?

Last edited by sbarr; 04-21-2014 at 06:07 AM..
Old 04-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

I weighed and checked my ketones today...

Ketones still low from earlier this week (.5mm) but I feel pretty good. Weight actually up 2 lbs, but between having an almost too-big loss last week and starting my period yesterday I think that is acceptable, as it is most likely water weight from my period.

I have not eaten anything high carb or anything, every day has been between 5 and 15 total carbs, so I don't know that there is really anything more to do. I have eaten a little less fat this week, so maybe I will start adding more in again.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Hey ladies, I'm beginning this today. I've been MIA from the board, even on my JUDDD board, as I needed to step back - again - and decide what to do. JUDDD isn't for working me, much as I love it. Eating just lc ain't doing it, either. So I thought about doing low carb WW, figuring I must be getting too many calories. But, I really don't think I am as eating lc keeps me pretty darn happy and I keep track of things on an iPhone app I have.

So, I did the calculator and based on my current stats, doing a 20% deficit here's what I'm getting:

Calories: 1524
Carb: 20g (5%)
Protein: 75g (20%)
Fat: 127g (75%)

Numbers confuse me , but I didn't get any warning that deficit is too severe or anything.

Here's my food so far (had and planned):

*BPC (coffee w/1T CO, 1/2T butter, 1T HWC). Would have used a whole T butter, but was too lazy to open another stick!

*Egg cream (2 eggs, 1c unsweetened almond milk, 1T HWC, liquid sweetener, spices, sf syrups, 1t chia seeds)

*Cheese stick or two

*Yogurt (strained full fat Dannon), sf lemonade mix, whipped cream.

Probably will have another BPC this afternoon. Not sure what will be for dinner. Probably a BLT salad.

I eat lc most of the time, so I may already be in ketosis (didn't check this morning), so no worries about carb withdrawals! I tend to eat within NK ratios according to that app, so we'll see what happens.

sbarr, congrats on entering Onderland!

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Vanilla, great to have you back! - my numbers are pretty close to yours, so I'd be happy to share menus, ideas, etc. The numbers will make sense after a week or so - I know I was a bit overwhelmed at first, even after years of LC. But, over a few weeks, you'll be able to pinpoint some foods that seem like hidden gems that you can enjoy while staying in our macros.

What you have looks good, I'm roughly guessing that you're trying to lose 1-2 pounds per week and your target weight is 130-150. I'm guessing.... I could be wrong, but your macros and grams are VERY familiar.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
Old 04-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, sbarr. I'd be doing cartwheels if I could lose 1-2 lbs. a week!! If it's two things I gotta have, it's my cream and (strained) yogurt. I've tried ditching that, but it didn't help on any front. I do count half the carbs, cals, etc. for whatever serving I have due to some humongous - and debate-filled - thread on here (and web searches).

You're good with the numbers! The thread on here (Just the Facts, I think) used a goal weight of 150 lbs. and I think my macros fall in line with that. The numbers I posted came from the calculator you suggested, using my current weight, age, etc.

I tend to eat the same things just about every day as I could care less about cooking!! The hubs and I eat salads just about every night, or I fix some of that beef/sausage/cream cheese mixture, which I adore. But, that alone would send me over the protein alottment for the day!!

I just got caught up on the JUDDD threads and the draw to go back is so strong. But, I'm hoping eating NK works better. I hope, I hope, I hope.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you're a salad person, it's easy to cut down the protein by slicing the meat thin (or shredding) and adding to the top of the salad.

I just finished a couple of weeks of crockpot meats where first I added buffalo chicken on top of the salad and second I added BBQ turkey cutlets. A pound of meat is good for 4 meals, usually the day I cook and then 3 leftover meals (assuming a single eater). My big protein cut was most successful by adding the meat to the top of the salad. I swear, I've eaten more spinach in the past month than the past 2 years.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:55 AM   #192
Major LCF Poster!

I did just have to get rid of some shredded chicken I'd made in the crock pot with a little Guy's BBQ sauce. Made way too much (my DH is a vegetarian) and I was going to cluck if I ate any more. Hated to toss it, but will make less next time. Yeah, we've been adding spinach to our salads. I bought a tub of the mixed spring greens and was glad to see it's only 5 carbs (2-3 net) for the whole thing! It'll last me all week since the hubs prefers regular lettuce. I bought some deli meat (low sodium Boars Head turkey, 0 carbs) which will be nice with the salads if I get burnt out on bacon!

I adore fats. HWC, yogurt, fat bombs, BPC's. Yum, yum, yum!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:11 PM   #193
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caseyjmc
Stats: 235/197.3/150
WOE: LCHF Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Feb 2014
Thanks for asking!

Brunch and dinner came off without a hitch. Everyone was happy, did their part. The twins got held and fed, the 2-year old got played with and loved a lot. We all watched Despicable Me.

I made this lime cheesecake recipe I got from the book, "Fat Fast Cookbook." I haven't used it to do a fat fast, but it gives me some great ideas for recipes and groups them by percentage of Macros. So if I realize I'm not eating enough fat in a day, I choose a recipe from the ”84-87% fat" group.

Weight this morning was a lb up 194.3. I did end up eating a second breakfast yesterday since I ate my usual time around 9, then my DIL made a wonderful LCHF brunch. Normally I would not have eaten the brunch, but hey, my DIL went all out to do it right for me, and I wasn't going to insult her efforts! And it was LCHF, so... I am back to the usual today.

One thing I have noticed with LCHF is that not only do I not crave, but I also have no desire to stress eat. We have our own business and work from home, so we experience all kinds of stress, both from good stuff that happens, as well as the challenges. In my past, I would eat my stress regardless of good or bad :/

How is everyone's week starting out?

Last edited by Caseyjmc; 04-21-2014 at 01:12 PM..
Caseyjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What's the recipe for the lime cheesecake?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #195
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
What's the recipe for the lime cheesecake?
I doubled it:

• 8oz softened cream cheese
• ½ C. heavy whipping cream (I get mine at Costco...Darigold 40%)
• 1 Tbsp vanilla
• 3 whole eggs
• 6 packets TRUE LIME (couldn't find it in packets, but found it in spice bottle, located in the spice section. They also have LEMON. I used ¼ tsp per person. Might use a bit less next time.
• Sugar-free sweetener to taste (I get pure Sucralose powder on Amazon, and I used a TAD measurement spoon)

Use an electric mixer to mix the cream cheese and heavy whip until smooth. Then add everything else and bake at 350° F for about 35-40 min. Cool in fridge. I served with whipped cream topping.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:21 PM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you - I have everything for that, might give it a try tomorrow. Tonight I'm feeling a bit "munchy" and might taste test it too much while making.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 AM   #197
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Hi All!

I'm back! Finally time and opportunity to post! Hope everyone had a lovely Easter break.

My weight is steady, I've been gaining and losing the same 4 pounds for the last three weeks. Very frustrating.

I've lost some inches though, am wearing a pair of black jeans that I couldn't close properly (since I bought them, oh dear...) and they do up just fine now!

I've been indulging in some 90% cocoa chocolate over the Easter days, so am back to keeping it simple with my menus.

Hope you are all very well,

xxx Chloe.

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:51 AM   #198
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
We leave today so I won't see you women for a while! My weight has also been bouncing. I had ham and a few bites of bunny cake on Sunday and I seem to be holding on to a bit of water.

My new doc had said I have an unusual amount of water according to his Mr. Tanata, that rotten beast. I have no Mr. Tanata; perhaps Sbar and I could share?

My plan for while in Jamaica is to eat fresh food, take many long walks, get some sun, read my two book club books, and have fun fun fun.

Oh Sandra! I tried your ACV soda with ginger and sweetener and I really liked it! I had a sleepy tea last night with CO and MCT oil. It didn't bother me. Weird drinking such greasy tea. Ha!

I'm bringing some coconut oil with me and I'll try having a scoop before bed every night. The ACV will have to wait until I get back. I didn't order the ketone stuff - the kids are picking up our mail, but you know how that goes.

See you guys next week!
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 AM   #199
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mr. Tanita is still on my side: 208.8 --- oops, I REALLY mean 198.8 **wow, I didn't even notice that until I tried to bold the text - I'm not used to the 100's yet** (hydration good - so I'll take it!)
Blood: 1.4 (I did have my fat tea last night).

Welcome back Chloe! Glad you can fit into those jeans - I have a stack of clothes for the 195-200 weight range that I'm going to try on this weekend to see if anything fits. I grouped all my clothes by 10# decade ranges, so I have lots of closet shopping ahead of me.

Daisy - Enjoy your trip! Mr. Tanita is your friend - he tells the truth - I've had my scale for 10 years and still matches the doctor's office. I'm glad you liked the cider and ginger soda. It's very refreshing. For the tea, you added CO and MCT? Wow, you're brave - I use CO and HWC and mix it with a blender to emulsify it. Hope the CO works on your vacation. Come back rested and happy - that's what trips are for!

Casey - I think I might make that today. I've been struggling a bit with cooking too successfully and then food starts to queue up in the fridge.

Vanilla - burnt out on bacon....what a concept!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Vanilla - burnt out on bacon....what a concept!
I know, right?

Well, yesterday went well as I figured it would. Having been lc for quite awhile now (with forays into carbs few and far between), helps. I will say I think it's a bit easier just keeping the carbs at 20-25 instead of trying to juggle the percentages. I was pretty close on all of them, though.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I've been following your thread as I contemplate trying this WOE. I have about 10 pounds I would like to shed before summer travels start.

Daisy, I noticed you said you were taking coconut oil with you on your trip. I live where it is warm all of the time and my coconut oil is always melted. I don't want you to have a problem in your luggage if you don't have it well wrapped. By the time you get to your hotel room you could have a mess if it leaks at all. It will stay hard on the plane, but after that it might not.

Enjoy your holiday...sounds like fun.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #202
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone!

Daisy, have a fabulous time!!!!

Yesterday was fine, I ended up eating a bit more than planned, but stayed within my set macros.

I'm noticing another side effect of this WOE: My hair is thicker and grows faster. I've got lots of new hairgrowth as well. At this rate, I'm going to have to cut my hair every month! Or I may just grow it beyond my shoulders... Not had that for a loooooong time!

I could never burn out on bacon, but then again, I don't eat tons of bacon, just three thin rashers per serving, so it stays interesting for me, LOL!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:12 AM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tanita is steady: 208.8 (body fat same, so level hydration)
Blood was 0.6 - I nibbled a little on the leftover birthday cake as I was throwing it out. I should have just thrown it all out the first day.

Hoping Daisy's CO make it intact
Vanilla - hope you're hanging in there
Chloe - I would love to have better hair growth - I'm actually taking diatomaceous earth for the silica.
Hope everyone else is doing great!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:36 AM   #204
Blabbermouth!!!

Sandra, I take DE as well. I also take biotin. But I think since getting my macros right and staying consistent with my eating things have really gotten better. My hair is thicker and feels better too.

That said, I only use natural products on my hair, I haven't used a conventional shampoo for years now. And I haven't coloured my hair since forever!
Old 04-23-2014, 05:42 AM   #205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My hairdresser told me to take prenatals. I'm at a point in my life where if someone saw that in my cupboard, they'd probably figure out I was trying to grow out my hair.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Sbarr, thanks so much for checking in on me. And CONGRATS on your progress. You're amazing!

As for me, I'm still very much keeping to the plan. I haven't been posting...but I have been pouting. I have been tweaking the macros, trying to get the scale moving positively again. I've been bouncing from 179.2 to 180.6 for most of April with a one day flirtation at 178.8. And yes, my measurements have remained the same. Sigh.

Got a blood ketone meter and get readings in the am anywhere from 2.1 to .9 with many being around 1.3. (When I first got it, I splurged and took it at night for an exciting 3.4!)

Someone on this board has a signature that reads "you can't cheat on your diet...your diet doesn't care". I LOVE that and think of it often - especially when my DH offers me some ice cream and promises not to tell anyone. I just smile and say "yes, but my body will know...".

So there we are: pouting but committed and SO glad everyone is here!

Kathee
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:57 AM   #207
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone!

Kathee, I understand your frustration! This month is a wash out for me so far too... Sending you good thoughts for a solid drop on the scales before the month is over!

Sandra, that with the prenatals sounds good, maybe I should give that a go too!

I'm off to Holland for the weekend (only next door so to speak) to celebrate my baby sister graduating with honours from her university degree. Driving there tomorrow morning and then coming back Saturday at some point in the afternoon. Looking forward to seeing the family, and I'll probably not see any scale result either as I'm going to indulge in a glass of wine or two....

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

xxx Chloe.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Scale down a bit to 198.2 (but body fat higher so that makes it a wash, although I feel leaner and tighter from exercising)
Blood up to 1.3 - this makes up for the scale

Did my aqua bootcamp yesterday and my suit seems to be fitting a little bit better - I realized I'm down almost 10# from when I started that class. Meeting a friend today for a double swim + weights blitz. I'd like to get under 198 by Saturday - fingers crossed.

Kathee - I love it, "pouting but committed". That sums it up so well. I laughed when you used the term splurge to take an evening ketone level.

Chloe - have a great trip!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #209
Junior LCF Member

Hi everyone,

Great getting to know you all. I broke down and ordered a scale that calculates body fat, hydration, and all the other bells and whistles. Just came today and I haven't programmed it yet.

The old scale is steady between 193-194, so I'm hanging in there. I spent the morning with my 2 year old grandson in his swim class, which is quite a workout for us both! Also still playing "slave angel" (my wife's loving nickname for me since I've taken on all the nursemaid, business and house chores). I figure every extra trip to the kitchen and upstairs, as well as the deliveries to ship product are burning away the excess fat, so no complaints.

Sbarr, these recipes are so easy and really do taste pretty good. I'm going to try the shiritaki noodles tonight to make a stroganoff dish. Keep up the great work!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:15 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Well, the scale was 179.0 so still in the same range. Today's morning blood reading was 1.7. I'll take it.

Chloe, thanks for the commiseration. I'll take those thoughts and send some your way too! Have a great time!

Sbarr, fingers crossed that you hit your target! Tonight was my late class so rather than eat I'm trying your "fat tea". Pretty tasty!

Casey, I have stairs too and love the extra work out every time I go up. I just have to be careful not to be in too big a hurry coming down as landing in a heap at the bottom is not a pretty sight...

Kathee
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote