Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyjmc View Post
I'm kinda new to Nutritional ketosis, but you guys sound so close to my own path and goals I'm gonna stick around and learn from you! Thanks!
Hi Casey!
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #152
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caseyjmc
Stats: 235/193/150
WOE: Westman Plan LCHF Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: August 2014
Hi Daisy!
Caseyjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:57 AM   #153
Major LCF Poster!

My macros were a bit skewed yesterday. 19 percent carbs rather than my typical 5 percent. But total calories weren't horrible, around 1500, and my net carbs were 34. I think I'm still in ketosis.

I have a bit of knee-joint pain and I'm wondering if it's because of the bourbon? I can't remember if I had any nightshades - oh wait, tomato is a nightshade isn't it? Maybe that's the reason?? Damn knees.

How is everyone doing?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:47 AM   #154
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Hanging in there, but not real happy with the numbers.

Scale down at 202.4 (but the body fat was sky high (dehydrated), so I won't acknowledge the weight loss)
Blood was 0.9 - my lowest in a couple of weeks, I think.

Not sure what caused it - I did get a little bit of yard work done, despite my shoulder. I can rake and also dug my compost pit, I just can't lean down and pick things up. That's what the neighbor's son is for - I offered him a good deal: $1 a bag filled, I'll do the raking.

Only thing I did different was that my fat and calories were so low yesterday that in the evening I had a modified fat bomb with a tablespoon CO and a tablespoon of chocolate PB2 - I had enough spare to accommodate all of it. I'm wondering if when below numbers if it's better to leave it to try to augment with some fat.

Also, I did take Naproxen (anti-inflammatory). I tried to read up on ketosis and inflammation, but went in circles. Being so new in the mainstream, it's frustrating that there isn't a thousand articles. But, at least, since it's a bit esoteric, most of what I am reading is higher quality.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!

Last edited by sbarr; 04-13-2014 at 06:50 AM..
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #155
Major LCF Poster!

Holy moly Sandra! I'm just a few pages into that silica thread and all the info on avc, turmeric, coconut oil, lemon, pepper, celtic sea salt - wow!

I knew some of it, but all together it seems so powerful! Amazing information.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #156
Blabbermouth!!!

I know - and yes, I just bought turmeric last week and hope to make the paste today so I can have yellow milk during the week, probably with plain almond milk. I love learning about these new things.

Also, just wanted to share a great keto-friendly recipe I made up today. 6 carbs for a meal, but I keep breakfast to 0 with BPC so I allow up to 10 g per meal.

700 g asparagus - you could use as much as you want, but I had my scale set for metric
8 ounces ham
200 g sliced baby bella mushrooms - again, as much or little as you want
Add lots of garlic and salt to taste

sauteed in 2 T. bacon grease

Portion it out into 4 bowls for today through Wednesday, top with 2 T. Hollandaise and lick the bowl when you're done!

Total:

Trader Joes - Hollandaise, 2 Tbsps 170 0 18 1
Mushrooms - Raw, 50 g 11 2 0 2
Generic - Asparagus - Raw, Net Carbs (100g), 175 g 35 4 0 4
Animal fat - Bacon grease, 1.5 tsp 58 0 6 0
Trader Joes - Black Forest Ham Sliced, 2 slice (28g) 50 0 0 10
Add Food 324 6 24 17
Old 04-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #157
Junior LCF Member

My food has been very steady with my macros. Getting lots of exercise taking care of my wife who just had partial knee replacement. Cooking, cleaning, laundry, business, doing the 20 minutes 3x per day of isometric exercises with her so she'll do them

The Ketonix is now showing me red after breakfast and exercise, as well as in the evenings. Didn't have a chance to check it against the blood, but it makes sense given my consistent macros.

Thanks for the recipe! I tried a form of BPC last night that was pretty cool:
We have a Keurig, and I bought some Kcups that allow me to grind and make my own. I put 1T. coffee, pinch of red pepper flakes, 1 clove, ¼ tsp. Cocoa powder into the Kcup, and put ¼ C. canned coconut milk into the coffee cup. Added liquid Splenda to taste and pushed the button. Not bad!

I'm also experimenting adding back AC to recipes that call for it to see if it kicks me out of ketosis. So far so good. I still refrain from using it habitually in my coffee. Major miracle there!

Onward and downward, ladies!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:24 AM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

Casey - you sound directly on track. So good!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:28 AM   #159
Major LCF Poster!

Down 1 more pound. 9 total. Today begins week 6 of this woe. I think I have been eating too many calories. I'm tracking calories in/calories out and I need a daily deficit of 1k calories to lose weight during the week. It happens a few times a week, but mostly I'm around 700 calories deficit.

Also this week I need to lasso my macros. The carbs, even though they are under 30 net, has not been meeting my percent set.

Yup.

I'm still reading the silica thread. My head is spinning around and around!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #160
Blabbermouth!!!

Tanita: 202.4 (my water hydration down and body fat up, even though I'm consuming extra fluid - I know drinking fluids can flush, but I feel pretty dry)
Blood: 1.2 (eating has still been the same, only difference, last night I didn't have my tea with CO and HWC)

My carbs are usually 18-20, factoring out fiber. I've been eating a lot more veggies lately. I am half expecting a spear of asparagus to grow out of my ear and my face turn green from the spinach, but it is healthy food and I'm not consuming any junk, whatsoever. I wish I could isolate what causes the blood to go lower (and whether it makes a difference). Time will tell - and my strips are en route, just used my last one.

Daisy: Be a man - eat your dirt, eat your dirt!
Old 04-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #161
Junior LCF Member

Weight: 193.5 this morning.

Breakfast was different for me. 1.5 pieces of bacon, fried egg, but then added a serving of my cauliflower mash recipe and sautéed mushrooms. Macros were 89/8/3.

Burning lots of calories making several trips a day up and down the stairs, preparing and serving food, helping with clothing, etc. It's been one week since her surgery. The isometric resistance exercises are helping me, too. I have great amounts of energy and sleeping better than I can remember. I think this NK is the plan for me!

My son texted me this morning that his wife had her night of miserable norovirus, joining the club of the rest of us. One night of misery, one day of recuperation, and it's over. Even the twins had it. That makes four full households. The twins are now 2 weeks old, and they managed to bring us all together at their birth, starting the family plague with the Grammie from Walla Walla. My son suggested we all get family shirts that say, "I had norovirus and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

Hope you all are avoiding our plague!
Old 04-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #162
Major LCF Poster!

omgosh Casey, I had the norovirus a year or so ago and I thought I would die. But as you said, it was one horrible, dreadful day and then a day of recoup and one weak day and back to normal!

You are doing great!
Old 04-15-2014, 06:47 AM   #163
Blabbermouth!!!

Mr. Tanita was kind: 201.8 (body fat wasn't overly elevated, so hydration was fine)
Blood = ? (I ran out of strips and my supply from Universal is en route - hope here soon). I swear, once I hit 199, I almost want to go on a fat fast to lock it in, never see the 200's again, ever ever.

It's interesting how the blood testing can be so reassuring - I think my blood is good, but my last 2 were lower so I'd like to validate.

I really like the combination of weight, body fat (not reliable day to day except as dehydration indicator) and the blood - seems to give a full picture.

I worked about 3 hours in the yard yesterday, just light work with the neighbor and our combined group of kids.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:58 AM   #164
Blabbermouth!!!

Mr. Tanita was still nice: 201.4 (body fat up a little, but not overly, so I take it as about even)
Blood = ? (Still waiting on strips, maybe today or tomorrow)

Last night was a perfect example of trying to deal with ketosis in the real world. My daughter's birthday - pizza and cake at her dad's, pretty much what we've done for the past few years, not my preference, but they love the tradition. I told my ex in advance I wasn't going to eat cake. Being considerate, he bought buffalo boneless chicken wings (basically they were breaded chicken tenders with hot sauce). I ate 2 of them and drenched extra hot sauce over them. Cake time, I didn't take a piece, but nibbled a couple of bites off my daughter to sample the frosting. Not bad, not great. Drank sugar free iced tea diluted with water. Came home, was fine and now back on track this morning. I do wish I had my strips so I could have checked my blood before dinner, after dinner and this morning. It would have been worth 6 bucks for me to know how my body reacts. I'm not one of those kiss of death slippery slope people, I just continue with my plan the next day, nothing different.

I know this is going to happen again and again throughout life. I look forward to better understanding how my body will react. I'm envisioning myself in maintenance, dealing with this type of problem on a regular basis and once I know how my body reacts, I will know what my decisions will be, including whether I should bring my own substitute meal.

But, I'm definitely grateful for my regular plan, I was up this morning, had my BPC, filled in my fp for the rest of the day so I have a day after game plan and pretty much don't have to think about food, I just eat what's "on the menu".

But, darn, I wish I knew my blood level today - scale was fine, but what about the blood?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:22 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

I like how you keep your attitude and approach level and even. I am taking note of that.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:44 AM   #166
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Daisy, welcome back!!

Scale is continuing to be good: 200.8 - I really wish I could break 200 by this weekend, but that's unlikely, especially when today felt like a bit of a whoosh, down 0.6 from yesterday (also slight decrease in body fat/increased hydration)
Blood strips finally arrived - and yes, I've gone through 3 of them.

Directly after my workout yesterday I measured and got 0.8
Then 2 hours later, 3.3 (about 9pm)
This morning 0.9, consistent with my last two 0.9 an 1.2

This is consistent with my ratings over the past week and the only differentiator I can think of is my night-time tea with CO and HWC. I think that's the main variable - that the ketones were higher the morning after the tea with all of the fats.

So, now here's the question - I'm assuming that as long as I'm in ketosis, 0.9 vs. 2.2 isn't necessarily relevant if the difference is the tea. There might be other benefits to the tea, but I'm losing at a gradual rate, feel good, so that should be enough.

Casey - how are you doing?
Chloe - where are you?
B'Mom - are you still progressing?
Old 04-17-2014, 06:46 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
Hi Daisy, welcome back!!

So, now here's the question - I'm assuming that as long as I'm in ketosis, 0.9 vs. 2.2 isn't necessarily relevant
I am wondering the same... I like the higher numbers, but it does not seem to matter much when it comes to how I feel and my progress...
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #168
Blabbermouth!!!

You're right - I'm not noticing a difference in how I feel, other than probably "motivated" by the higher number as a sign of a job well done *rolling eyes*

I'm hoping as long as we stay in ketosis and continue to lose that this will be enough.

We have years ahead of us to figure this out. I don't see ending ketosis any time soon - I might reach a point once hitting goal to look at the possibility of increasing carbs slightly and seeing if it affects the ketone level (oh, yeah - that's Atkins going up by 5 grams incrementally to gauge the impact on weight loss). Long range, I hope to find that sweet number that equals a good ketone level while keeping a steady weight.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #169
Blabbermouth!!!

Not a bad way to end the week:

200.2 (so close, so close) - this actually puts me down about 10-11# for the month, and this wasn't my first month of LC - I had already lost almost 10# between beginning of year and mid-March. Puts me down 20# for the year and that includes a very off plan week long trip.
Blood was 0.9 - I think it's the fat the night before that gave me my high readings when I first started. I'll be experimenting with that tonight with CO and HWC in my tea.

I'm more inclined to watch the weight go down and as long as I'm technically in ketosis and the weight continues to fall, then let it ride.

Hope everyone has a good weekend - I'm hosting a kiddie birthday swim party with 20+ kids at a local community center (an hour of swimming and then pizza and cake, but I do have veggie tray for the adults if they want something while the kids swim). Unlikely a chance to eat a thing, which is fine, although I will have a small taste of the cake (from local, highly regarded bakery). If I do, it will be expensive (as if the cake wasn't already expensive enough ), because I'll test prior to eating the cake and 2 hours after, assuming I'll be in ketosis when I wake up tomorrow.

Interesting thought - with the whole carb thing, I had a sudden realization that I better be in ketosis tomorrow or I don't dare even taste the cake since I won't be able to test the impact. This could be useful in the future to mentally program myself that I WILL NOT eat anything higher carb unless I wake up in ketosis. Meaning, this only allows me one higher carb day in a row (not to say that a tiny sliver of a cake is "bad", but that if I do choose to indulge, I better have a good start to the day). This could be useful during the holidays.... Hmmmmm.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #170
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, really, now it's 1 month in - very encouraged. I broke the century mark!
  • Tanita bestowed upon me: 199.6 - I actually lost 3# this week and a total of 11+ for the month
  • Blood level was: 1.0 (I forgot to drink the tea last night, just went to bed)

It's been several years for this, so I'm very encouraged to be here. I'm glad I found this forum, this way of eating, and how great I feel. Now I'm off to deliver and pump up pool toys for my daughter's big birthday pool party - and I so wanted to break 200, and I did.

There's a great cake at the party and I'll probably grab a couple of bites unless I'm too busy, which is what happened the past two parties where I was trying to make sure everyone was comfortable.

On a good note - I did the right thing for the parents - we usually provide coffee since it starts at 11 and some parents straggle in. No bagels or donuts or soda. Kids get watered down juice bags (less sugar), parents get water bottles and can access a fruit or veggie tray while the kids swim. I did break down and put together a bowl of Lindt chocolates, but if you're going to eat chocolate, let it be good.

The next decade will be interesting - wonder how fast it will go. Happy Saturday - Daisy, I'll hold the door open for you to hit your goal by Jamaica.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:45 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Oh I'm dancing a happy dance for you!

I just did a re-read of this thread and have convinced myself I need the ketone meter readings to help with tracking/motivation. Your steady progress is so invigorating!

I'm bouncing up and down a couple of pounds so we'll see what I weigh in with on Monday.

We leave on Wednesday so I have a couple of days.

Seriously! I'm so happy for you! 199!!!
Old 04-19-2014, 11:19 AM   #172
Junior LCF Member

That is so awesome! Big YAY to you on a great start to the weekend! I think that 199 milestone is so important mentally. Enjoy the party, too.

Our sons, daughters-in-law (DIL) and grandchildren are coming over for Easter brunch and dinner tomorrow (all of them are various stages of obese, but the Mothermouth [me] keeps her mouth shut about their eating habits because 1) it does absolutely no good and 2) only causes angst between us). But they do know and honor my food choices, and support my efforts with what they make, and always ask me before assuming anything.

First holiday with the twins, now 3-weeks old. DIL 1 is making a traditional English breakfast, which is low carb anyway, and I'm making an LCHF dinner with leg of lamb, LCHF gravy, portobello mushrooms, food processor cauliflower/mushroom (I'm going to add some xantham gum to it to thicken it up. Like flaxseed, it's equal fiber to carbs), summer squash variety, and LCHF h'orderves.

I just LOVE this WOE!

Happy Easter/Passover/Solstice to you all!
Old 04-20-2014, 04:12 AM   #173
Blabbermouth!!!

Mr. Tanita gave me a freebie - down again to 199.2 - and body fat was a bit lower, so I was hydrated
Blood was 1.7 - even after yesterday's cake. I THINK I can attribute that to last night's CO + HWC tea

I'm a bit confused by the whole thing - how I could lose weight and go deeper into ketosis by the next morning even after eating cake. Not to say I don't mind, but this is just the type of thing that can lead people to thinking: "oh, I can do this again" and deep in my heart, I know this this needs to be an exception to the rule.

7 am: 0.9 - my usual morning level of past several days
3 pm: 1.0 (1 hour after a couple of bites of cake)
6 pm: 0.2 (3 hours after 1" x 4" double slice of cake and extra buttercream frosting, this was an experiment - I would have tested at 2 hours, but I was at the park)
9 pm: 1.0 Dinner of avocado with olive oil
This morning: 1.7 - I am pretty sure it was the tea.

One realization - there was never a moment of slippery slope defeatism where I rationalized that since I ate off plan, I might as well enjoy the day. I ate boiled eggs with mayo and dinner was avocado and olive oil and the night finished with CO and HWC tea.

casey - I want to eat at your house - you have good food!

Daisy - more and more that I'm thinking about the past day, the blood test is a very good way to stay in check. Yes, I ate the cake, but then I was checking blood levels through the rest of the day, experimenting with cutting the remaining protein and upping the fat. Without the testing, I'm not sure I would have been so diligent (nice word for obsessive) on the food I ate for the rest of the day.

How's everyone else doing?
Old 04-20-2014, 05:19 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Your numbers are awesome. What kind of tea do you use in the evening? I have a sleepy tea I could try. How much CO and HWC to you put in the tea?

I read Paul Jaminet's book last night. He addresses post-menopausal women a little bit. grr on being postM.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:47 AM   #175
Blabbermouth!!!

1 T. CO
1 T. HWC

Definitely need to blend it so you emulsify - I don't like the oil slick on top

What's bizarre, how did the numbers go back to ketosis so fast? I ate a pretty good size piece of cake and I'll admit, I did scoop a few finger tips of frosting.

More and more that I'm thinking about it - if the CO and HWC raise the ketone levels by the next morning, maybe this is a good thing to do every night to have more energy when getting up in the morning. I am NOT a morning person, so can use any help I can get.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

I definitely don't know and cannot explain the science, but I have heard and read many places that when you are in a ketosis state or a balanced blood sugar state our bodies are equipped to handle the random spike that, say, your eating of the cake would induce. Your body handles it and it's soldier on from its perspective.

Makes sense to me. Especially with your "this isn't going to derail" me mentality.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #177
Blabbermouth!!!

I guess maybe I have some dietary puritan work ethic that says no cheating or that if you eat lots of carbs you should/will gain weight... (which, by the way, I HATE the term cheating - it's a decision, not a game and suggests not being accountable, which we are accountable 24x7). But, maybe the carbs really weren't that high - I'm guessing 50-75 for the day.

But, now there is part of me that is thinking about my obsession over peaches (darn that obsession) - maybe it IS possible. I'm just imagining people on the street giving my yard a wide berth when they hear this whimpering and moaning next to the tree. While the cake was anticlimactic, I think the right peach will be sublime.

But, seriously, if you can afford it - order the Abbott blood tester and then get the strips from Universal in Canada - they'll be waiting for you when you get home and you can jump into the whole adventure. I would be very interested to see your blood levels when you return and how quickly you get back into ketosis. And, since you're a geek, that might be a great motivation to hit the ground running on day 1 back.

This is all so interesting to me. I wish I knew the rules.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
(which, by the way, I HATE the term cheating - it's a decision, not a game and suggests not being accountable, which we are accountable 24x7)
At some point I learned to call it a "treat" and that feels like a healthier relationship to these foods... I don't know, that may feel better for you to say...
Old 04-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Mr. Tanita gave me a freebie - down again to 199.2 - and body fat was a bit lower, so I was hydrated
Blood was 1.7 - even after yesterday's cake. I THINK I can attribute that to last night's CO + HWC tea

I'm a bit confused by the whole thing - how I could lose weight and go deeper into ketosis by the next morning even after eating cake. Not to say I don't mind, but this is just the type of thing that can lead people to thinking: "oh, I can do this again" and deep in my heart, I know this this needs to be an exception to the rule.

7 am: 0.9 - my usual morning level of past several days
3 pm: 1.0 (1 hour after a couple of bites of cake)
6 pm: 0.2 (3 hours after 1" x 4" double slice of cake and extra buttercream frosting, this was an experiment - I would have tested at 2 hours, but I was at the park)
9 pm: 1.0 Dinner of avocado with olive oil
This morning: 1.7 - I am pretty sure it was the tea.

One realization - there was never a moment of slippery slope defeatism where I rationalized that since I ate off plan, I might as well enjoy the day. I ate boiled eggs with mayo and dinner was avocado and olive oil and the night finished with CO and HWC tea.

casey - I want to eat at your house - you have good food!

Daisy - more and more that I'm thinking about the past day, the blood test is a very good way to stay in check. Yes, I ate the cake, but then I was checking blood levels through the rest of the day, experimenting with cutting the remaining protein and upping the fat. Without the testing, I'm not sure I would have been so diligent (nice word for obsessive) on the food I ate for the rest of the day.

How's everyone else doing?
That is impressive! I have to admit, I am jealous, my carb limit seems to be 10 or fewer net carbs, different foods seem to make a difference too. I am happy your experiment worked so well for you! There are some people that do carb days and think it helps lose weight, it will be interesting if you have a higher loss than usual this week also.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #180
Blabbermouth!!!

Erica - Anything I lose this week, will be good - I have a schedule to the end of the year and it's pretty aggressive with 1.5# average per week. Past couple of weeks were pretty good, but I know it slow down.

You're so insulin resistant, but I think there is hope - it might be worth a small experiment once a month or so, with a controlled food to gauge your body's reaction and map it out.

I was thinking about you earlier and how we've been wondering about just staying in ketosis (and losing weight) vs. the higher ketone numbers - I'm pretty sure that my higher numbers this morning were due to the CO and HWC tea (obviously the CO). I'm going to experiment tonight:

CO + HWC tea prior to bed
  1. Impact on ketone levels
  2. If higher ketone levels, do I feel a bit more energetic? I'm not a morning person, so this might be a tactic for early mornings, to pump up with fat just prior to bed - granted, this is somewhat contrary to the dogma of not eating just before bed, but where else can CO go but to ketones?